• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

R7 260 Crashing after installing

blackbird3071

Recently purchased a new graphics card. After installing it, everything worked for a while, until I got a "no signal". I rebooted, as soon as I logged in, same thing.

I did a system restore, running normal. Moments later the same thing happened. I did another system restore and tried to install latest drivers, it 'no signaled' during setup almost immediately halfway through. I tried uninstalling old drivers via programs and features, and then installing new ones, same result. Weird thing is, it only happens when im in windows.

I am using windows 8, and I used to have a radeon 6670.

I have 4gb ddr 1600, and a 4ghz amd fm2 processor

Could someone help me?

thanks

System Name H2o Box
Processor Intel(R) Xeon e5-2690 v2 Stock 3.300 GHz stock
Motherboard MSI X79A-G43 Plus (MS-7760) v3
Cooling CPU EK & Phobya G-Changer 360 V2.0 RAD H2o VGA "AlphaCool M18" Hybrid [pump replaced 18/8/21]
Memory G.Skill TridentX 16Gb 11-12-12-32 2T @ 1866Mhz [locked]
Video Card(s) Zotac GTX 1080ti AMP EXTREME
Storage HyperX Fury 120GB & Savage 480GB SSD, Seagate 250GB,250GB 7200rpm Kingston 64GB SSD
Display(s) Asus TUF Gaming VG32VQR 2560*1440 165Hz VA Panel
Case Corsair O-800D
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
Power Supply Be Quiet! [Dark Power Pro 11] 1200W CM replaced [7-4-2017]
Mouse Zelotes T-90
Keyboard K66 Mechanical US Layout
Software Win 10 Pro 64Bit v 20H2 / OS [build 19043.1237] WFEP 120.2212.3530.0
Hi

Welcome to TPU

Could someone help me?

For the best advice from the TPU community go here fill in full system specs include hardware brand names; models [Select: "Show System Specs:" YES]

Questions
what version of AMD Catalyst Driver was installed ?
running windows 8 is it 64bit or 32bit ?

Note: this will help other members of the TPU community to assist

atb

Law-II

Reactions: XSI
Apparently defective graphic card. As soon as it starts doing 3D it dies. The reason why this is happening is that Windows 8 is installing drivers by itself if there are none present. After Win8 install it works in 2D mode. Then it installs drivers and dies.

Test it in some other system, if problem repeats, it's the card for sure.

blackbird3071

Apparently defective graphic card. As soon as it starts doing 3D it dies. The reason why this is happening is that Windows 8 is installing drivers by itself if there are none present. After Win8 install it works in 2D mode. Then it installs drivers and dies.

Test it in some other system, if problem repeats, it's the card for sure.

Interesting, how do you know it's not just an older driver related issue conflicting with an older version? Because when I used programs and features and used catalyst uninstaller, i was under the impression that it was just removing software.

So from what I understand, it operates fine using 2D clock settings, but as soon as it goes into 3D the clock speed increases to something the card should be able to operate, but actually can't because defective. Since the computer is installing drivers, it briefly goes into 3d clock speed and hence crashes.
Is it normal or common for the R260 to have this defect?

I have an ASUS R7 260 Direct CU II, and it appears im not the only one having this problem. From what I am reading, there is no adaptive power management long with a wider range of issues.

I will test in another computer after work.

Last edited:
Because i had similar issue with GPU in a laptop. It worked fine in BIOS and safe mode, but as soon as it tried to load 3D accelerated GUI, whole screen went either blank or was full of artifacts.

It was a bugged GeForce 8400M GS which i then baked in an oven and it's working fine again. Meaning it was indeed a broken GPU. I bet you have the same thing. Either way, it's not normal.

blackbird3071

Because i had similar issue with GPU in a laptop. It worked fine in BIOS and safe mode, but as soon as it tried to load 3D accelerated GUI, whole screen went either blank or was full of artifacts.

It was a bugged GeForce 8400M GS which i then baked in an oven and it's working fine again. Meaning it was indeed a broken GPU. I bet you have the same thing. Either way, it's not normal.

I was reading about it, apparently alot of people are having issues with my particular card, some of these issues can be fixed with a bios flash. But won't a bios flash pretty much screw up my chances of getting a return?

manofthem

WCG-TPU Team All-Star!
Processor 3900X @ 4.0
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X570-E
Cooling DeepCool Castle 360EX
Memory G Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB 3600
Video Card(s) RX 5700 XT Pulse
Storage Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB
Display(s) LG 34UC88
Case Thermaltake P3
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III 750w
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard G Skill KM570 MX Silver
Software Windows 10 Pro
I was reading about it, apparently alot of people are having issues with my particular card, some of these issues can be fixed with a bios flash. But won't a bios flash pretty much screw up my chances of getting a return?

Have you retested your system with your old 6670? If the card works fine, you rule our os and driver as well as narrow down the issue to being with your card. Would be grand if you could test the 260 in another pc to see if issues persist.

Where did you purchase? If locally, merely go return the card for different model card, since you say that card is know for issues.