• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

R9 290-290X owners thread

fullinfusion

Vanguard Beta Tester
guess what showed up at the local shop where I order from?

hint: red and black and has a sister all alone waiting for her twin to hammer some huge frame rates?

yup my 2nd msi 290 gamer twin frozr :)
down side is tax man didnt have my refund in the mail box to pay for it so im sol till it shows up or till next payday. one good thing though its mine and was a special order so they wont sell it from under me because i've been a great local buyer and keeping my cash in my home town instead of bloated ncix and tiger direct.

so stay tuned my good friends for some killer numbers within the next week or so.

System Name Mean
Processor 2700k @ Modest 4.85Ghz,1.38V
Motherboard Asus maximus V formula
Cooling Sealed intel water loop
Memory 16 Gig Corsair red @2133 Mhz @ 11,10,11,27,2T timings 1.55V
Video Card(s) 2 X XFX 290 In crossfire 4 gig memory
Storage Intel 520 Ssd 520 read 500 write 120 gig system drive 3 x Wd 750 gig drives
Display(s) BenQ BL3201PT 32" 4k 60Hz Professional Widescreen LED Monitor
Case Lian li Tall tower
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply enermax revolution 87+ 650w '80 plus gold X 2
Software Win 7
Benchmark Scores http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/7671243 http://www.passmark.com/baselines/V8/display.php?id=17224737452
You have enough power i hope.

manofthem

WCG-TPU Team All-Star!
Processor 3900X @ 4.0
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X570-E
Cooling DeepCool Castle 360EX
Memory G Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB 3600
Video Card(s) RX 5700 XT Pulse
Storage Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB
Display(s) LG 34UC88
Case Thermaltake P3
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III 750w
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard G Skill KM570 MX Silver
Software Windows 10 Pro
guess what showed up at the local shop where I order from?

hint: red and black and has a sister all alone waiting for her twin to hammer some huge frame rates?

yup my 2nd msi 290 gamer twin frozr :)
down side is tax man didnt have my refund in the mail box to pay for it so im sol till it shows up or till next payday. one good thing though its mine and was a special order so they wont sell it from under me because i've been a great local buyer and keeping my cash in my home town instead of bloated ncix and tiger direct.

so stay tuned my good friends for some killer numbers within the next week or so.
Nothing better than a good set of twins! :laugh: I'm going to be so jelly, already am ;)?

Can win to see how well you roll.:roll: :roll:

You have enough power i hope.

850w is enough. My full rig, w/ 4770k @4.4 and 290 w/ mild OC, has never gone above like 430watts.

fullinfusion

Vanguard Beta Tester
yeah im thinking my HX 850 should be touggh enough to handle it. heck at times with a 5ghz oc on my 3770k and 1200/1800 on both 7970's and watching the wattage meter I believe the most she took was 868watts but isnt an HX 850 actually a 1000 watt unit? im sure I read that some where atbh ive never even heard the fan run but then again 2 blower style reference 7970''s thats all you could hear.

but anyday day now ill drive it like I stole it " balls to the wall" ;)

thats how I break in all my hardwarre straight off, no pussy footn it just do a good ol fashion burn it session.

@freeleacher ill take a picture of my watt meter tomorrow and post it for you. it holds memory andnhas never left my man cave. its got a max amp/ watt and voltage recall uilt in and last I checked its max watt was 1048 but ill verify it with a pic. and sorry for the bad typing.. the roads are the shits tonight.. -50c makes the roads heave real bad

Last edited:

fullinfusion

Vanguard Beta Tester
if memory serves me right tuesday night cadaveca and I ran mark 11 and I think I beat his 780Ti while we both had an oc running. I think hendid score a bit better overall but up against an Xtreme intel 6 core monster is where he got his higher points. but all in all he was very impressed and you know dave, if he smells bullshit he'll call ya on it. soo dave get that sli fired up and lets have another session for the fun of it because I remember this guy once said benchin is for suckers so lets be a couple of suckers and lets see what we can bring to the table.

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard Asus TUF-Gaming B550-Plus
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S
Memory 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon Rx 580 Nitro+ 8GB
Storage HP EX950 512GB + Samsung 970 PRO 1TB
Display(s) HP Z Display Z24i G2
Case Fractal Design Define R6 Black
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster AE-5
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME Ultra 650W Gold
Mouse Roccat Kone AIMO Remastered
Software Windows 10 x64
I ordered Asus 290 (DC2OC) yesterday. Anyone here has it? I am interested in rough power consumption and undevolting possibilities.

fullinfusion

Vanguard Beta Tester
I ordered Asus 290 (DC2OC) yesterday. Anyone here has it? I am interested in rough power consumption and undevolting possibilities.
miner! lol

congrats but my I ask why the asus dc2?
im just curious thats all.

Processor Ryzen 5800X
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S
Software Windows 10 x64
What? Oh that. No, not really. I do mine (and will probably stop soon), but I didn't order the previous or this card for that purpose.

Why Asus? Because it's one of the best card designs. For one, their own power design, and for two, the cards are better binned. Oh and also for the superior cooling (I might replace it with Kraken later on when I get nerdy, when I want to get something new and cool).

System Name Desktop
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard MSI Z790 Tomahawk D4
Cooling Corsair XC7 Block / Corsair XG7 Block EK 360PE Radiator EK 120XE Radiator 5x EK Vadar Furious Fans
Memory 64GB Corsair Dominator DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio
Storage 1TB WD Black SN850 / 4TB Inland Premium / 8TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) Alienware AW3821DW / ASUS TUF VG279QM
Case Lian-Li Dynamic 011 XL ROG
Audio Device(s) Razer Nommo Pro Speakers / Creative AE-9 w/ Beyerdynamic MMX 300
Power Supply EVGA P2 1200W Platinum
Mouse Razer Naga Pro
Keyboard Deathstalker Pro
Question gents and my fellow R9 290 series owners.....

So I have had my Sapphire R9 290 for about 3 months now...... I never had any of these so called 'black screen' issues.... Recently starting with the first Mantle enabled driver and the most recent one, I have encountered more or less an alarming rate of BSoDs or Black screens.

The errors are of the following:

• SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED 0x1000007e cdd.dll cdd.dll+5a36
  • DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE 0x0000009f ntoskrnl.exe ntoskrnl.exe+5a440
  • 0xa0000001 ACPI.sys ACPI.sys+3d6424e
Narrowing down the possibilities I have only to believe it is either the card or the drivers....... I have also noticed since installing the Mantle enabled drivers, certain flash or other animated websites may result in artifacting in the sense of black/grey checkerboard in the lower right hand of screen when going through menus.... sometimes in transitioning web pages, I will get some red/yellow/white polygon looking shapes that flash for a moment.....

I don't have any issues with games or video play back....... I have also noticed that if I leave my computer on and the screen saver going, my system is fine..... when I turn off the monitor via the button or a timer..... it is about a 50-50 whether the display comes back.... video signal is usually dropped and I have to hard reboot my machine.

I contacted Sapphire and they recommended I flash the BIOS to a newer version.... They said it would not void the warranty as long as it is a Sapphire BIOS for my specific card.... I pulled the latest BIOS from the TPU for a REFERENCE 290 and the issues still occur intermittently... The artifacting on websites only occurs once in awhile but I still get the black screens if I turn the monitor off.

My card has Elpida RAM on it.... I have seen other forums that say slightly overclocking the card and raising voltage sometimes helps.... in my case it does not..

Should I RMA this??

Processor AMD 5800X
Motherboard Asrock x570 Taichi
Cooling NZXT Kraken Z73
Memory G.Skill TridentZ NEO 3600@3800
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming X RTX3060
Storage ADATA SX8200 1Tb, Samsung 950 Pro 256Gb
Display(s) Acer XV240Y, Acer KG240A
Case Corsair 750D
Audio Device(s) SteelSeries Arctis 7
Power Supply SeaSonic Platinum 860W
Mouse Razer Mamba TE
Keyboard Corsair K95
Software Win11 X64
Just a heads up, a enhancement kit is coming out for the Gelid Icy Vision coolers on a 290/290X.

We will launch a new enhancement kit for the Icy Vision, this will include a new larger VRM heatsink for the R9 290 and R9 290X soon.

I sent an email here "info@rexususa.com" requesting info on the VRM heatsink and they are now sending me the enhancement kit for the cooler I bought that was listed as compatible with the 290X. Unfortunately I didn't recieve the email until after I purchased the Kraken G10 lol. So anyone else may want to give them a shout as I don't know if this will have to be purchased or just show proof of purchase of the cooler.
Capture.jpg 20140301_123929.jpg

fullinfusion

Vanguard Beta Tester
What? Oh that. No, not really. I do mine (and will probably stop soon), but I didn't order the previous or this card for that purpose.

Why Asus? Because it's one of the best card designs. For one, their own power design, and for two, the cards are better binned. Oh and also for the superior cooling (I might replace it with Kraken later on when I get nerdy, when I want to get something new and cool).
Miner lol, I poke fun because miners make amd cards so over inflated lol but hey it's all good.

I spent around $1325 for 2 msi R9 290 Gaming twin frorzr IV msi cards. I have pictures above.

I have to almost debate you on the asus cooler. Tbh I know there are better air coolers.... and the asus one is loud.

Check this bimbo 's video out. Start @ time 12:32 and that's your card. 80c idle wth? just watch it it's got some good info.

Let me know your thoughts. I'm as excited as you for your sweet purchase and I hope it's all and more then what you expect from it.

fullinfusion

Vanguard Beta Tester

I contacted Sapphire and they recommended I flash the BIOS to a newer version.... They said it would not void the warranty as long as it is a Sapphire BIOS for my specific card.... I pulled the latest BIOS from the TPU for a REFERENCE 290 and the issues still occur intermittently... The artifacting on websites only occurs once in awhile but I still get the black screens if I turn the monitor off.

My card has Elpida RAM on it.... I have seen other forums that say slightly overclocking the card and raising voltage sometimes helps.... in my case it does not..

Should I RMA this??
You know what, tell me what card did you have installed before this card.
Also Sapphire want you to flash to a newer bios then ask them to send you the complete bios update package with there recomended bios.

Also @erocker I was having pci-e lane problems and he linked me to this site and it solved all my issues and I use it all the time to check after doing driver changes and shit like that.

Here takes 30 seconds to do and I hope it fixes your issue.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/remove-old-drivers-after-upgrading-to-new-hardware/

i had no money but need it badly :(
wth you going on about?

new member, 1 post and dont make sense.... I think a troll got out, but I hope its one of those that dont speeky englee very well. so if thats the case welcome otherwise.... well you know :/

Processor Ryzen 5800X
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S
Software Windows 10 x64
I have to almost debate you on the asus cooler. Tbh I know there are better air coolers.... and the asus one is loud.

Check this bimbo 's video out. Start @ time 12:32 and that's your card. 80c idle wth? just watch it it's got some good info.

Let me know your thoughts. I'm as excited as you for your sweet purchase and I hope it's all and more then what you expect from it.
Every single reputable review praised that cooler for being effective and quiet, so I have no reason to think it's the other way around really.
I'll check the video later, but just reading that, 80°C in idle? Something IS terribly wrong either with the card or the entire PC.

Edit: you got it wrong. She says all of those tests were done after 30 minutes of stress testing.
And the card is quiet. No idea which part of the video were you looking at :D
I mean, 85°C under load at 20% fan speed? I'll take that!

Last edited:

fullinfusion

Vanguard Beta Tester
Every single reputable review praised that cooler for being effective and quiet, so I have no reason to think it's the other way around really.
I'll check the video later, but just reading that, 80°C in idle? Something IS terribly wrong either with the card or the entire PC.

Edit: you got it wrong. She says all of those tests were done after 30 minutes of stress testing.
Ok I hear ya

Do me a favor and do a video like what I did with the sound of the gpu. actually im going to run valley or any other bench and leave the system on auto and leave my cpu OC'd and just set the gpu to its 1007MHz setting and see what happens.
Sound good to all? did you want the side panel on or off and what bench? I have many paid ones to run so name it.

I just wanted to give my thoughts a few typed words and I watched that video a while back and quickly skipped ahead to yur card but didnt realize it was after gaming but IMO 80c after gaming?

I don't know man, I didn't think it was that hot in the UK

Processor Ryzen 5800X
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S
Software Windows 10 x64
I'll see for myself next week, and surely post my findings then. I don't think I can record the noise in any meaningful way though. And I surely do not have a camera to support it with a video :p

P.S. What I could read in reviews, the card was running in low 70's while not sounding too annoying, which looked pretty good.

fullinfusion

Vanguard Beta Tester
I'll see for myself next week, and surely post my findings then. I don't think I can record the noise in any meaningful way though. And I surely do not have a camera to support it with a video :p

P.S. What I could read in reviews, the card was running in low 70's while not sounding too annoying, which looked pretty good.
what were the idle temp's if you recall?

Processor Ryzen 5800X
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S
Software Windows 10 x64
In the reviews? Pretty much like with any other cards, be it 280x or 290x from all the other manufacturers: 30-32°C.
Actually, let me see which review specifically I read:
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/asus_radeon_r9_290_directcuii_oc_review,1.html

I think it was just this one if we're talking about popular sites, and the other reviews were about 290x (but I guess that tells even more about the cooler, 290x being more demanding).

fullinfusion

Vanguard Beta Tester
Yup nice read, I just checked against their findings and compared it to my msi card and at idle with room temp at 21.3c the card was idling at 32c @ 18% fan speed = 993 rpm's

I ran Valley at normal gpu clocks in Extreme HD run and she topped out @ 65c and I didnt hear the card's fan speed up at all.. but unless I had a dB meter I sware nada change in sound.

I wish I was home last night and opened the room window. She was a cold night in hell as they'd say. Hit a low of -50c with the windchill factor.

I think that's going to be a great card for you and your going to be happy with it. You asked about down clocking and power?

ATM my watt meter is reading at idle anywhere from 113-130 watts and that's with a 4.6GHz overclock on my 3700K and My browser open typing this to you.

And I speek for us all, We want pictures of that beast!!! Or else I'll sik my cat on ya lol

The pictures look like those fans are different so be sure to let us know if in fact they are please.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.

So I have had my Sapphire R9 290 for about 3 months now...... I never had any of these so called 'black screen' issues.... Recently starting with the first Mantle enabled driver and the most recent one, I have encountered more or less an alarming rate of BSoDs or Black screens.

The errors are of the following:

• SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED 0x1000007e cdd.dll cdd.dll+5a36
  • DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE 0x0000009f ntoskrnl.exe ntoskrnl.exe+5a440
  • 0xa0000001 ACPI.sys ACPI.sys+3d6424e
Narrowing down the possibilities I have only to believe it is either the card or the drivers....... I have also noticed since installing the Mantle enabled drivers, certain flash or other animated websites may result in artifacting in the sense of black/grey checkerboard in the lower right hand of screen when going through menus.... sometimes in transitioning web pages, I will get some red/yellow/white polygon looking shapes that flash for a moment.....

I don't have any issues with games or video play back....... I have also noticed that if I leave my computer on and the screen saver going, my system is fine..... when I turn off the monitor via the button or a timer..... it is about a 50-50 whether the display comes back.... video signal is usually dropped and I have to hard reboot my machine.

Should I RMA this??

disable onboard video

System Name Mean
Storage Intel 520 Ssd 520 read 500 write 120 gig system drive 3 x Wd 750 gig drives
Case Lian li Tall tower
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Software Win 7
Benchmark Scores http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/7671243 http://www.passmark.com/baselines/V8/display.php?id=17224737452
you need to do sustained gpu usage with case closed with all the case fans running to truly get the proper fan curve and temps or else its meaningless numbers.

Furmark or msi kombustor to stress the cards.
heaven is no use.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
you need to do sustained gpu usage with case closed with all the case fans running to truly get the proper fan curve and temps or else its meaningless numbers.

cant thermal calibrate with an open system.

System Name Mean
Case Lian li Tall tower
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Software Win 7
cant thermal calibrate with an open system.

Not with coolers that pump hot air back into the case no.
the reference coolers you can but not 3rd party coolers.

System Name My 1st System Build (Up-Grade #4.5)/ Wife's PC
Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550@3.5GHz / AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ 2.4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4/ GIGABYTE GA-K8NSNXP-939 socket
Cooling Zalman CNPS9700 110mm CPU Cooler / CM Hyper N520
Memory G.Skill 8GB (4x2GB) DDR2 1066 (PC28500) 5-5-5-15@2.1v/ G.Skill 4GB DDR PC3200 400MHz 2.5CL
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon HD 6970 2GB/ ATi X800 XT PE 256mb
Storage WD Caviar SE16 640GB 7200rpm SATA (x 2) in Raid 0 / Acomdata 500GB external HHD/ WD Raptor 10K 150GB
Display(s) HP LP2465 1920x1200 S-PVA Panel/LG Flatron 20.1/ HP LP2465 1920x1200 S-PVA Panel
Case Lian Li (Lancool) PC-K63 / BMW Aluminum Mid-Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro/ Sound Blaster Audigy2 Z5
Power Supply COUGAR-SX850 850W 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Modular/ Corsair 400w 80 plus certifed psu
Software Windows Vista Ultimate X64 (retail) w/ SP-2/ Windows XP Pro w/ SP-3

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/asus_radeon_r9_290x_directcuii_oc_review,3.html

Very good review on the ASUS DriectCU II r9 290x at Guru3D....this card's cooler does the job keeping it cool and quiet. From other reviews I've read the Sapphire r9 290x runs a bit cooler at idle and load than the ASUS but not by much.

I received my ASUS 290x last Wednesday, installed it the next day and have had it running for the last 3 days. Awesome card ! My room temps vary from 77 - 80F and the card temps at 25% fans speed stay 35-37c at idle and just under 80c at load w/ fan speed at 50%. The fans are whisper quiet and can just barely hear them at 100% fan speed.

The card looks great with it's metal back plate that helps with cooling and a metal bar that runs along the top leading edge to reinforce and prevent it from sagging. I left the colored metal stickers you get with it off, preferred the all black look to it.

The only real gripe I have is...wish the 8 & 6 pin power plug connections were located on the very end instead of the front corner. I would make cable mgmt look much better, but not really a big deal.

I actually purchased it back at the end of January when Amazon still had it listed for $579 and had to wait a month to get it.....now I just need to upgrade the rest of my system.

*+

fullinfusion

Vanguard Beta Tester
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/asus_radeon_r9_290x_directcuii_oc_review,3.html

Very good review on the ASUS DriectCU II r9 290x at Guru3D....this card's cooler does the job keeping it cool and quiet. From other reviews I've read the Sapphire r9 290x runs a bit cooler at idle and load than the ASUS but not by much.

I received my ASUS 290x last Wednesday, installed it the next day and have had it running for the last 3 days. Awesome card ! My room temps vary from 77 - 80F and the card temps at 25% fans speed stay 35-37c at idle and just under 80c at load w/ fan speed at 50%. The fans are whisper quiet and can just barely hear them at 100% fan speed.

The card looks great with it's metal back plate that helps with cooling and a metal bar that runs along the top leading edge to reinforce and prevent it from sagging. I left the colored metal stickers you get with it off, preferred the all black look to it.

The only real gripe I have is...wish the 8 & 6 pin power plug connections were located on the very end instead of the front corner. I would make cable mgmt look much better, but not really a big deal.

I actually purchased it back at the end of January when Amazon still had it listed for $579 and had to wait a month to get it.....now I just need to upgrade the rest of my system.

*+
I totally disagree! I have the same type of twin fan cooler and my card all day wont even get into the 80's

And you say you'd take that temp all day? well you can have it lol!

I like running 1200/1400 at stock fan speeds and keeping under 65c o_O

Remember the interweb don't lie :laugh: