• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

R9 290 blank screen, works fine through TeamViewer

alcohollica

PC build:

PCU: Intel i3-6100 3.70Hz
Motherboard: Asus z170-a ; BIOS ver. 1602, 07.01.2016
Ram: 16Gb HyperX ddr4
GPU: AMD Radeon R9 290 GIGABYTE
Drivers: Radeon Adrenaline Software 18.5.2
Screen: Samsung, res at 1360x768 @60Hz HDMI
PSU: Cooler Master v850 , 850w

The problem is a bit hard to explain so I’ll try and explain what happened.

One day, after using my pc and leaving it on idle I left the room. After about an hour, I return and the PC is running but the screen indicates “no signal”. All fans were running.
I restart the pc and the boot sequence sounds right, yet again - "no signal". I take out the GPU and connect the HDMI to the motherboard using the integrated graphics… PC boots just fine.
I take the damn thing to a lab and leave it for diagnostics (hope dies last) and about an hour later they call me telling me they can’t find anything wrong with the GPU. The took it out, put it in a different computer – ran fine, then took it out and put it back in mine – again, boots up just fine. I arrive at the store, with a smile from one ear to the other and indeed the pc runs just fine. They restart it in front of me a few times so I can see for myself and I’m convinced – something’s wrong with me. Maybe worth mentioning – the pc was hooked to a relatively old monitor via HDMI to VGA adaptor (the default resolution was probably low).
So I go back home, put the pc in its place, connect all the wires and turn it on…. again blank screen. I should mention - when the PC is off the screen reads - "no input" and when I turn the PC on - the screen goes black for a second and the "no signal" message appears.
I tried:
Removing different cables and a few times all, but the power cable and the HDMI.
A different HDMI cable
A different monitor
Using a different PCI slot
Using a different socket in the PSU
Checking if the power supply cable is ok pin by pin
Checking the GPU for some burned out/ dislocated parts
Moving the ram to a different set of slots
Booting in safe mode
Setting BIOS to default
Booting with the GPU in the PCI slot but power cables disconnected – the pc loads fine but doesn’t recognize a display adapter (someone told me it will)
Disable team viewer on startup (don’t know why I thought it would help)
Reinstalled drivers

Uninstalled device from device manager and booted
Connecting the main power cable directly to a wall socket

So finally, I get a crazy idea – after PC boots with no display I check the team viewer on my phone and lo and behold – the damn thing seems to be on-line. I start a session and it seem to have loaded just fine. I log in and the screen (in the session) goes black. I click the virtual keyboard’s “windows” key and the picture comes back on. I can use the PC normally but when I open display settings I cannot change the resolution and stranger – I can’t scroll. When I do, nothing changes until I end the Team Viewer session and start a new one. In device manager, the PC seems to recognize the GPU just fine but still – “no signal” on main display.
I've had this build for about a year or so and before that – an AMD A10 Processor (I think), which as my current one, bottlenecked the GPU, which should have prevented it from utilizing 100% of its capabilities, thus prolonging its life.

There’s no info on anything like that on the web as far as I could find and most of the solutions to similar problems don’t work for me. I really like my 290 and prefer not to part ways with it yet.
I’m desperate, if you can - help me, if not - hopes and prayers will do.

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
Have you tried to disable the iGPU or change the priority order for the graphics in the BIOS? The luck you are having with Team Viewer may be that its using the iGPU.

alcohollica

The iGPU is disabled and these are the specs I see in the BIOS:

Primary display: Auto
IGPU multimonitor: disabled
RC6 (render quality): enabled
DVMT pre-allocated: 32m

System Name 1.21 gigawatts!
Processor Intel Core i7 6700K
Motherboard MSI Z170A Krait Gaming 3X
Cooling Be Quiet! Shadow Rock Slim with Arctic MX-4
Memory 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 3000 MHz
Video Card(s) Palit GTX 1080 Game Rock
Storage Mushkin Triactor 240GB + Toshiba X300 4TB + Team L3 EVO 480GB
Display(s) Philips 237E7QDSB/00 23" FHD AH-IPS
Case Aerocool Aero-1000 white + 4 Arctic F12 PWM Rev.2 fans
Audio Device(s) Onboard Audio Boost 3 with Nahimic Audio Enhancer
Power Supply FSP Hydro G 650W
Mouse Cougar 700M eSports white
Keyboard E-Blue Cobra II
Software Windows 8.1 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R15: 948 (stock) / 1044 (4,7 GHz) FarCry 5 1080p Ultra: min 100, avg 116, max 133 FPS
Does your monitor support DVI exit? If it does, try connecting it via DVI cable. Try with old VGA cable if your monitor and GPU have VGA exits.
If it works, it's highly likely that something's wrong with HDMI exit on monitor.

There's possibility that your monitor might not automatically recognize HDMI, so you could manually select HDMI option somewhere in monitor's menu.

alcohollica

I’ve tried both HDMI slots on the monitor with 2 different cables and the same on a different, newer monitor - same issue. My default monitor which I’ve used for the last 5 years always detected HDMI signal automaticaly.

System Name Dumbass
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
The iGPU is disabled and these are the specs I see in the BIOS:

Primary display: Auto
IGPU multimonitor: disabled
RC6 (render quality): enabled
DVMT pre-allocated: 32m

What are the options for primary display?

I’ve tried both HDMI slots on the monitor with 2 different cables and the same on a different, newer monitor - same issue. My default monitor which I’ve used for the last 5 years always detected HDMI signal automaticaly.
I'm not following this, did this all start with a new monitor swap? or is this a computer you've been using for years and the problem just started one day out of the blue?

Last edited:

alcohollica

Options for “Primary display” are: Auto; IGFX; PEG; PCIE

It’s a computer I’ve been using fir years and this problem came out of the blue.

P.s.
I really apreciate the try to help. Thanks guys.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Thats the thing, the card worked fine in another rig which had a different PSU. You said you have a monitor adapter.

Have you tried using a different storage drive with fresh OS?

Could be your peg slot isn?t making proper contact with the card, take the gpu out, clean the peg slot, try in another peg slot if available.

Even attempt a breadboarding of system, clear cmos and set optimized defaults of mobo even.

System Name Dumbass
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Options for “Primary display” are: Auto; IGFX; PEG; PCIE

It’s a computer I’ve been using fir years and this problem came out of the blue.

P.s.
I really apreciate the try to help. Thanks guys.
Set it to PCIE, Auto might still be trying to use the iGPU even if its disabled.

alcohollica

Right, so far I tried:

Setting primary display to “PCIE” but the setting doesn’t stick. It reverts back to “Auto as soon as I reboot.

I reinstalled Windows (was due anyway and decided I might as well) but no result.

I cleaned the PCIE slot with air and extremily carefully with a plastic shiv. The gpu pins I cleaned with a dry napkin for cleaning glasses.

Now here’s the recent twist - the pc doesn’t recognize the GPU at all. The system is on, picture and all but using the integrated CPU graphics. All this while the GPU is connected to the PCIE slot and connected to the PSU. GPU fans are running.

I’m 100% sure it’s not the power supply cable but I dug up the PSU box and I’ll try to use a different cable.

System Name Dumbass
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Right, so far I tried:

Setting primary display to “PCIE” but the setting doesn’t stick. It reverts back to “Auto as soon as I reboot.

I reinstalled Windows (was due anyway and decided I might as well) but no result.

I cleaned the PCIE slot with air and extremily carefully with a plastic shiv. The gpu pins I cleaned with a dry napkin for cleaning glasses.

Now here’s the recent twist - the pc doesn’t recognize the GPU at all. The system is on, picture and all but using the integrated CPU graphics. All this while the GPU is connected to the PCIE slot and connected to the PSU. GPU fans are running.

I’m 100% sure it’s not the power supply cable but I dug up the PSU box and I’ll try to use a different cable.
You have to save and exit ( usually F10 ) when changing settings in the BIOS.

So now we know the card works in other computers, and your motherboard does not seem to like the current card. Do you have another card to drop in or will you buy one?

Last edited:

alcohollica

Ok, so different power cord - no difference. No surprise there.
I don't have another card to test my pc with but I'm assuming, by now, the GPU is dead.

I'll probably start saving for a new card and in the meantime I'll look for someone to bake my old one. I'd give anything a shot to prolong it's life for a few weeks as my financial priorities are different right now.
I've been thinking about a GTX 1060 because of the good performance, good price and low working temp (which I hope will ensure a long life). What do you think? Is an AMD card a better choice? I can't say I'm disappointed of the R9 290, it's been working well (as long as it was).
I'm looking for something in the budget mid range and a 6Gb, 192bit card looks good. Most benchmark tests show to GTX 1060 6Gb as a good mid -high range card (better even the 8gb, 256bit architecture of the RX 580).

If anyone has any more ideas how to revive the GPU - I'm open to suggestions, otherwise - anyone is welcome to the funeral.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Ok, so different power cord - no difference. No surprise there.
I don't have another card to test my pc with but I'm assuming, by now, the GPU is dead.

I'll probably start saving for a new card and in the meantime I'll look for someone to bake my old one. I'd give anything a shot to prolong it's life for a few weeks as my financial priorities are different right now.
I've been thinking about a GTX 1060 because of the good performance, good price and low working temp (which I hope will ensure a long life). What do you think? Is an AMD card a better choice? I can't say I'm disappointed of the R9 290, it's been working well (as long as it was).
I'm looking for something in the budget mid range and a 6Gb, 192bit card looks good. Most benchmark tests show to GTX 1060 6Gb as a good mid -high range card (better even the 8gb, 256bit architecture of the RX 580).

If anyone has any more ideas how to revive the GPU - I'm open to suggestions, otherwise - anyone is welcome to the funeral.

Dont bother with a 1060, a upgrade from a 290 would be a 1070-1080ti, top badge 580, or a Vega56.

Replace thermal compound, boot the rig usign igp and then attempt to get a gpu-z screenshot.

Chloefile

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite
Cooling Custom loop (CPU+GPU, 240 & 120 rads)
Memory 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury @ DDR4-3466
Video Card(s) PowerColor RX 6700 XT Fighter
Storage ~4TB SSD + 6TB HDD
Display(s) Acer 27" 4K120 IPS + Lenovo 32" 4K60 IPS
Case Fractal Design Define Mini C
Audio Device(s) Asus TUF H3 Wireless
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse Logitech MX518 Legendary
Keyboard Roccat Vulcan 121 AIMO
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores It runs Crysis remastered at 4K
Does your monitor support DVI exit? If it does, try connecting it via DVI cable. Try with old VGA cable if your monitor and GPU have VGA exits.
If it works, it's highly likely that something's wrong with HDMI exit on monitor.

There's possibility that your monitor might not automatically recognize HDMI, so you could manually select HDMI option somewhere in monitor's menu.
R9 290 doesn't support analog (VGA) signal.

Not hard to understand since this is an old 290 problem very common. I do have a 290 with the same problem.
Ive tried several different bios. I did not changed anything. Reinstalled windows 7, Windows 10, nothing work.

Since i do not have another PC to test the card, ive PAID someone to test it for me. The result was it worked fine in his system.
So, i think this problem is related with compatibility with MOBO regarding UEFI bios .....Its something in there.

My card works fine with the driver Catalyst 13.12 only. Any other driver get me to black screen. Ive tested here with 2 very old Mobos that im using with my old I5 35something.
Thats my solution!

AsRock

TPU addict
Processor AMD 3900X \ AMD 7700X
Motherboard ASRock AM4 X570 Pro 4 \ ASUS X670Xe TUF
Cooling D15
Memory Patriot 2x16GB PVS432G320C6K \ G.Skill Flare X5 F5-6000J3238F 2x16GB
Video Card(s) eVga GTX1060 SSC \ XFX RX 6950XT RX-695XATBD9
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 1080P \ LG 43UN700
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 Infinity RS4000\Paradigm P Studio 20, Blue Yeti
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750 \ Corsair RM1000X Shift
Mouse Steelseries Sensei wireless \ Steelseries Sensei wireless
Keyboard Logitech K120 \ Wooting Two HE
Benchmark Scores Meh benchmarks.
Thats the thing, the card worked fine in another rig which had a different PSU. You said you have a monitor adapter.

Have you tried using a different storage drive with fresh OS?

Could be your peg slot isn?t making proper contact with the card, take the gpu out, clean the peg slot, try in another peg slot if available.

Even attempt a breadboarding of system, clear cmos and set optimized defaults of mobo even.

Thats what i was thinking, suggest to loosen the bracket screw and see if the card can be lifted and then tightened in place.

System Name Home PC
Processor Ryzen 5 2600x
Motherboard Gigabyte B450 Gaming X
Cooling Thermaltake FRIO Silent 12
Memory 2x8Gb HyperX Fury Blue 1600Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX570 Pulse 4gb
Storage Samsung Evo 970 pro 512gb ,Kingston V300 240gb SSD,
Display(s) Toshiba 48L3441DG
Case Thermaltake Commander MS-1
Audio Device(s) XONAR D1
Power Supply LDLC QS-650W 80+Gold
Software Win 10 PRO
I'd try a different power supply. Maybe the rail can't provide enough ahmps. Or test the PSU on another system.