• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Radeon 9550 to 9600 Bios Mod

simlove

Ohkay well i had a Radeon 9550 installed into my tower by bestbuy so far i thought it was good. When i got home and plugged the tower back in and tried to play the game Sims 2, unfourtuently when i did it said something about make sure that DirectX 9.0c is installed ... so then i downloaded and installed the DirectX but it did not work.:banghead: then after i told my brother to look at it and ask for the CD that came with the graphics Card. But bestbuy didn't give me it :( then he downloaded something i don't even know and the game came on, but the screen size kept restarting. Then he told me he needed things onthe CD to know some things. Then i dont know. But can anyone help me on finding how i can keep from the screen reseting ** when i play my game it stands by ** PLEASE HELP

Last edited by a moderator:

DaMulta

My stars went supernova
System Name Work in progress
Processor AMD 955---4Ghz
Motherboard MSi GD70
Cooling OcZ Phase/water
Memory Crucial2GB kit (1GBx2), Ballistix 240-pin DIMM, DDR3 PC3-16000
Video Card(s) CrossfireX 2 X HD 4890 1GB OCed to 1000Mhz
Storage SSD 64GB
Display(s) Envision 24'' 1920x1200
Case Using the desk ATM
Audio Device(s) Sucky onboard for now :(
Power Supply 1000W TruePower Quattro
Why did you just buy a 9550? Take it back and buy somthing newer.

notinthisworld

slightly OT....

i wanted to flash my 9800se to 9800xt, will the jetart jacsh1 fit on my card? thanks

God Bless

slightly OT....

i wanted to flash my 9800se to 9800xt, will the jetart jacsh1 fit on my card? thanks

God Bless

Uh... your cards going to be one helluva expensive paperweight...

Apart from that... ive got HYB25D256163CE-4.0 DDR1 RAM from Infineon... so do you think id sucessfully flash to a 9600?

Another thing is, will more agressive memory timings make the card more efficient, leading to an ability to clock to higher speeds than usual?

EDIT: WHERE THE HELL DO I FIND THE INFINEON BIOS?

Last edited:

midnight1270

Help

Ok, i got a ati radeon 9550 (256 ddr) AGP 4x/8x not by choice but by gift..it says mezza on the memory ...so i need to know which upgrade to use...Please...

Qbass

diamond stealth s120 radeon 9550 256mb

I have a diamond stealth s120 radeon 9550 256 AGP and tried to flash the bios to a saphire 9600 non pro 256.
it worked, but my display was corrupted. any ideas what bios I can use that wont cause corruption?

it has 5ns samsung ram

update:
I used the Powercolor 9600pro 256 with samsung mem, clocked custom at 403/201. any higher on the memory and I get artifacts. the corrruption must have been from the drivers or the other sapphire bios.
sucess :p

Last edited:

Quickywd01

My saphire radeon 9550se 128mb 64bit mem bus size equals this according to the chart.

Mezza Z2S56D408TP-5 256 MBit 5.0 ns TSOP-II 66

From a previous post I uderstood that I'm out of luck. Am I right or can I still do something?

kevinarjun

HI modders i Have a ATI Radeon Powercolor 9550 GameFX board Series 128bit 256mb...Can you help me to get the proper bios file for this card...Please help...I use ATI oveclocking tool and i can overclock upto core 448.20 mem 246.60...and it works like a charm...is it necessary to change flash my bios or its enough...Please help...Thanks a lot....!!!

crossover

Hello,
I've recently found about this possibility of modding a 9550 to the Pro version. However, I've also read that as long you can o/c the card without getting artifacts, there's no need to flash a new BIOS. I've just finished testing my card with ATITool, I went as far as 460/220 without getting any artifacts. I replaced the stock cooler beforehand, and my question is this: how far can you go with o/cing without the possibility of damaging your card? I've reverted to the original 250/200 setting for now, I'll wait for a reply before stress-testing with 3DMark or gaming.

Hello,
I've recently found about this possibility of modding a 9550 to the Pro version. However, I've also read that as long you can o/c the card without getting artifacts, there's no need to flash a new BIOS. I've just finished testing my card with ATITool, I went as far as 460/220 without getting any artifacts. I replaced the stock cooler beforehand, and my question is this: how far can you go with o/cing without the possibility of damaging your card? I've reverted to the original 250/200 setting for now, I'll wait for a reply before stress-testing with 3DMark or gaming.

The Radeon 9550's core Is a god damn great overclocker. It can clock really high but is limited by voltage. My best is 510/260 On stock cooling, however with the thermal paste changed. On 80mm Fan + Ramsink cooling I can Get much higher than that (I have to mount a cooler on the backside of the card though >_>)
With better cooling I get 530~540/280 (Depends on the weather sometimes).

Did you clean the Die and tint the cooler base? Just changing the thermal paste will give you a huge headroom for overclocking a 9550.

crossover

Actually, I bought the card as it is, with the cooler replaced. Problem is, I'm not sure it has heat sensors, so I can't monitor the heat it generates.

ikg74

Gigabyte Radeon 9550 128 MB

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to flash a Gigabyte Radeon 9550 128 MB (GV-R955128T) to the 9660 PRO but I can't find a right bios to achieve this.

The card has Hynix memory 537A HY5DU551622DT-5 so I would like to know which 9660 PRO bios I should use to successfully achieve the mod. I have tried the Gigabyte 9660 PRO bios for Hynix 4.0 but I got strange colours and lines on the screen when the computer rebooted. I have also tried some other versions of Gigabyte 9660 PRO bios (Samsung 2.8, Unknown, Infineon 5.0) that are listed on the BIOS section of this site but none of them flash correctly at all.

Any suggestions on what BIOS to use with this card would be much appreciated.

Thanks again for your help.

Last edited:

jacdav

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to flash a Gigabyte Radeon 9550 128 MB (GV-R955128T) to the 9660 PRO but I can't find a right bios to achieve this.

The card has Hynix memory 537A HY5DU551622DT-5 so I would like to know which 9660 PRO bios I should use to successfully achieve the mod. I have tried the Gigabyte 9660 PRO bios for Hynix 4.0 but I got strange colours and lines on the screen when the computer rebooted. I have also tried some other versions of Gigabyte 9660 PRO bios (Samsung 2.8, Unknown, Infineon 5.0) that are listed on the BIOS section of this site but none of them flash correctly at all.

Any suggestions on what BIOS to use with this card would be much appreciated.

Thanks again for your help.

Search in the list of bioses for one with 128MB of hynix 5ns. The memory configuration matters more than the card manufacturer. Test clock speeds with atitool artifact scan first.

susyoshi

Hii ppl
I have a ati radeon 9550 and flashed the bios of an ati radeon 9600 pro from unknown on the bios page and now my card doesnt work anymore. I had to put my geforce 4 mx back to write in this forum.
So my question is how can i change back to the previous bios? When i connect the radeon 9550 i cant get my cpu to work i get no image.
pls any help

nyioo7@hotmail.com

u need a pci video card. and ati flashing tool. than using pci video card and agp 9550 at the same time boot into dos and run the ati flash w/ the original bios, or whtever bios u have and flash. it'll definitly flash the ati card. oh umm..... make sure pci card is nvidia or anything other than ati. cool?

emresumengen

Unknown chip/card/bios - Help request

Hi,
I have been reading for a long time through the topics, hunting for some info on updating my Sapphire Radeon 9550 256MB to a 9600Pro... Unfortunately, I could get none. So, I tried flashing it, at first only to 9600Pro bioses listed on http://www.techpowerup.com/bios/ . Seeing none worked, I even risked it more, trying all 9600 bioses, _including_ 9600 XT's. And, none did work there, either.

I also tried Googling for the BIOS ID I get with flashrom, the writings on the card memory chips (which seem to be ELPIDAtwn brand), but to no avail...

Maybe someone can have info on these, or point me to a good direction where to go.

The card is a
SAPPHIRE
R9550 256M GDDR2 AGP VGA/TVO/DVI-I
PN 87-1C83-01-SA SKU# 11032-37 (written on it's back)

The ram chips on it have
ELPIDA TWN
E2516AB-6E-E
0615A9293
written on them.

It is also written
Made in China
A064720004000
on the back of the card, on a small white sticker :) I guess that's about all I know about it for now.

In fact, I'm feeling quite good about the performance of the card (thinking about the price) but I kinda like tryin' Mac OS-X on my PC (the OSx86 project) and seeking some resolution about it. Maybe the support for 9660 is better than 9550 in OS-X :)

Anyway, any help or info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Vengeance_43

I've Sapphire Radeon 9550 128/128 with Samsung 510 K4D263238G-GC2A(2.86ns FBGA) memory chips and the card works stable on 452/351.Now it's time to BIOS mod,but for this card has a four Sapphire Radeon 9600 Pro's 128MB(not VIVO&FB) Samsung 2.8ns BIOSes in techpowerup's BIOS Collection.Which is the most proper choice of these BIOSes for my card
and with most stable memory timings too?

My timings now:

Last edited:

susyoshi

u need a pci video card. and ati flashing tool. than using pci video card and agp 9550 at the same time boot into dos and run the ati flash w/ the original bios, or whtever bios u have and flash. it'll definitly flash the ati card. oh umm..... make sure pci card is nvidia or anything other than ati. cool?

I dont think i have a pci card. My GFeforce4 MX is AGP.
I think my board has an integrated video card. It seems theres a place for me to plug my moniter instead of the plug in the ATI RADEON 9550, is that my onboard video card? If so how can i switch to use that onboard video card, with the ati radeon card plugged too, and reflash my radeon with the correct bios?

susyoshi

I dont think i have a pci card. My GFeforce4 MX is AGP.
I think my board has an integrated video card. It seems theres a place for me to plug my moniter instead of the plug in the ATI RADEON 9550, is that my onboard video card? If so how can i switch to use that onboard video card, with the ati radeon card plugged too, and reflash my radeon with the correct bios?

Ok im running windows xp with the onboard AGP with the ati radeon 9550 with bad bios plugged in. How do i flash back some new bios? I´ve tried with atiflash but it says that it doesnt find any adapter. But the ati radeon 9550 is plugged in why does it says theres no adapter available?
Please can someone help me out?

It seems that i was wrong, my ati radeon 9550 is in fact PCI-express. i only have one slot for video cards that is a pci express slot X16 and it seems that my agp nvidia card can work connected to it. So if i want to reflash my pci-express radeon 9550 i really need to use my onboard video card.
Has anyone tried this? i cant get it to work
pls help me

Last edited:

cyrubz

hello
i have an asus A9550 agp card i want to upgrade it to 9600 how would i know what kind of bios must use pleased help me coz my card keeps on restarting when i played games like snipers elite and sometime my pc hangup.

radeon9550

PLeasee help

Hello i am a newbie and i really need help i have a sapphire radeon 9550 gfx card and i need to no how to get the OC lcok off i hav installed the softmod and nothing i need help please and also i need lots of help to flash the bios to a 9600 pleasee thanks guys >:eek:

radeon9550

Helpp falsh bios

i need help on this bit """Flash the Bios file to your video card using the -f parameter. For example flashrom -f -p 0 9600.bin.
A little sidenote: Many people complain that they get a "file not found" error when trying to flash the Bios under DOS. The problem is that DOS does not know long filenames, so all files are truncated to some funky names like Powerco~1.bin. Either use the dir command, when in DOS, to find out the short filename or rename it to something shorter while still in Windows.
More extensive flashing instructions can be found here. They talk about atiflash - you use flashrom since atiflash does not support the 9550, usage is the same."" I Really need helpp pleasee
:D:D:D