1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

radeon 9600xt and my system

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by orpheus, Feb 28, 2005.

1. orpheus New Member

Thanks Received:
    hello guys
    i just got a radeon 9600xt off of ebay and i tried it in my system, with an abit kt7raid motherboard and 1.13 ghz athlon but it wouldnt even post. I then took out all pci cards and tried it again, and for some reason it posts like that but in windows it isnt able to activate the driver... so i tried the card in another computer not sure what mobo but its higher up running a sempron 2800+... it runs fine in that system, so im wondering if it might be because of the extra 12 volt power connector the newer motherboard takes or maybe just incompatability with my motherboard.
    im going to try upgrading the bios on my motherboard but im not sure if that will do it.
    so, synopsis, the board runs without any pci cards in my system, but even then it doesnt work in windows. it works on a newer motherboard with a sempron 2800+ just fine.
    i was also thinking it might have to do with irq conflicts, but i put them on manual and couldnt figure anything out there either.
    the card obviously works, or it wouldnt work in another system, so why wouldnt it work in mine? one more thing, i tried a regular radeon 9600 in my system and that works fine. It's my brothers card so for now i am just thinking about trading the 9600 for the xt but i want the xt to work in my system :(.
    anyone have any ideas whatsoever?
    Thanks in advance

10 Year Member at TPU
  2. holymaryhitler New Member

Thanks Received:
    How to solve the problem with ASUS 9600XT when Windows starts

If you have ASUS RADEON 9600XT video card, and when you cannot start Windows (after POST it just went blank), the solution is to take the card out of the computer, insert some PCI, or NVIDIA card. and start the sistem. In Windows you don't have to install the drivers for these cards. Open Display Properties - Settings. Change the resolution to 800x600 and depth color to 16bit. Then choose the option Advanced, select Adapter - List All Modes, and then select 800x600, High Color (16bit), 60 Hertz. Ten click on the buttton OK, OK, OK. Restart the Windows. Shut down the Windows. Take off the new inserted video card and put your ASUS 9600XT into the AGP slot. Turn the computer on and it will work fine. ;)

I think that the main problem was changing the refresh rate higher than monitor can take (e.g. 15"), to 100+ Hertz. Still, you can flash your motherboard's BIOS, and then the video card's BIOS. And of course, your system has to be in a good shape. :nutkick:

P.S. You can download the motherboard BIOS files rom your manufactures web page and the video cards BIOS (firmware) too, or go to "Adrian Rojak Pot" web page and search there. Watch out for the correct BIOS file! Enjoy! :rockout:

10 Year Member at TPU
  3. holymaryhitler New Member

Thanks Received:
    ASUS 9600XT fixing; ASUS 9600XT flashing; ASUS 9600XT boot; ASUS 9600XT booting

If you have ASUS RADEON 9600XT video card, and when you cannot start Windows (after POST it just went blank), the solution is to take the card out of the computer, insert some PCI, or NVIDIA card. and start the sistem. In Windows you don't have to install the drivers for these cards. Open Display Properties - Settings. Change the resolution to 800x600 and depth color to 16bit. Then choose the option Advanced, select Adapter - List All Modes, and then select 800x600, High Color (16bit), 60 Hertz. Then click on the buttton OK, OK, OK. Restart the Windows. Shut down the Windows. Take off the new inserted video card and put your ASUS 9600XT into the AGP slot. Turn the computer on and it will work fine.

I think that the main problem was changing the refresh rate higher than monitor can take (e.g. 15"), to 100+ Hertz. Still, you can flash your motherboard's BIOS, and then the video card's BIOS. And of course, your system has to be in a good shape.

P.S. You can download the motherboard BIOS files rom from your manufactures web page and the video cards BIOS (firmware) too, or go to "Adrian Rojak Pot" web page and search there. Watch out for the correct BIOS file! Enjoy!

10 Year Member at TPU