• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Radeon Pro WX5100 won't use Windows 7 Aero desktop

Dealio

I'm not certain my issue is appropriate to post here. If it's not, my apologies -- I didn't see anything in the forum guidelines that indicated that it's inappropriate for the forum. I also apologize for the length, but I tried much before coming here and I've left out detail that I thought wasn't helpful or relevant.

I'm a photographer and I use my machine for wide-gamut color accurate work. I just bought a AMD Radeon Pro WX5100 to drive two new 4K BenQ monitors. Previously I had a Radeon HD 7750 successfully working with both monitors at 4K before installing the WX5100. I followed the usual installation technique -- uninstalled the HD 7750 drivers first, rebooted, then installed the Dec 2017 release (most recent release) of the Radeon Pro drivers. There's a little more detail here, but I'll put that at the end as I'm not sure it's important.

After the drivers were installed, I noticed that the Aero Desktop was not working, so I began searching for settings in the driver and in control panel. I found nothing obvious in the driver settings. I then confirmed that Aero wasn't working by opening control panel's performance panel, which gives the performance index for my machine -- it rated the graphics card as a 1.0 (previously the HD 7750 graphics cards was somewhere above 7.0), and there was a note above this box saying hardware has changed and I should re-run the performance index. When I did so, the machine froze up completely and I had to hard boot it. In the WX5100 driver I found that it was set for 8-bit per color or 24-bit/pixel. The monitors, the display port 1.4 cables that attach to them and the WX5100 support 10-bit per color or 30-bits/pixel. I changed the setting successfully, but that didn't fix the Aero issue. I decided to uninstall the driver and reinstall it. The uninstall hung, but I used Windows Restore in a Safe mode boot to help there. I then successfully installed the WX5100 driver again and Aero still doesn't work. The driver was also set at 8-bits/color again, so I changed it to 10-bits/color and the computer locked up hard again.

I'm not sure what the issue is, though the driver seems like it could be an issue. I used GPU-Z to check the WX5100 to see if anything stood out. The only thing odd I noticed was the Bus Interface box says PCIe x16 3.0 @ x8 2.0. The WX5100 is a PCIe 3.0 x16 card, but I checked with AMD before buying the card and they assured me that it would work in a PCIe 2.0 x16 slot with no loss of capability. So it seems strange that GPU-Z reports the card using only 8 lanes (I assume that's what x8 means). Is that odd or is it only reporting what the card is currently using? Is the next troubleshooting step to try an older driver?

Any help troubleshooting this issue would be greatly appreciated. I thought by now I'd be rating photos!

My machine: HP Pavilion Elite HPE-180t (2010 model) with 24GB RAM, over 60GB free space on C:, 460W PSU running Windows 7 Pro + SP1 and all important Windows Update patches. All installs/uninstalls were done from an account with administrative privileges.

TIA,
David

Other install details mentioned above:
Before the driver install, I had reset the BIOS to default settings while attempting to install a new PSU and forgot to set the time back to the present. As a result, the driver was installed with a 2002 date, and when I rebooted, Windows Updated tried to install 5 updates, but hung on patch #4. Before it hung, I changed the time in Windows, did a hard boot when it hung, then used Windows Restore to uninstall the driver and patches. That worked for the patches but not for the driver. So I reinstalled the driver, then uninstalled it to remove all traces of it before attempting a clean re-install of the driver.

System Name Windows 10 64-bit Core i7 6700
Processor Intel Core i7 6700
Motherboard Asus Z170M-PLUS
Cooling Corsair AIO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Kingston DDR4 2666
Video Card(s) Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB, Seagate Baracuda 1 TB
Display(s) Dell P2414H
Case Corsair Carbide Air 540
Audio Device(s) Realtek HD Audio
Power Supply Corsair TX v2 650W
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Keyboard CM Storm Quickfire Pro, Cherry MX Reds
Software MS Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
I'm not certain my issue is appropriate to post here. If it's not, my apologies -- I didn't see anything in the forum guidelines that indicated that it's inappropriate for the forum. I also apologize for the length, but I tried much before coming here and I've left out detail that I thought wasn't helpful or relevant.

I'm a photographer and I use my machine for wide-gamut color accurate work. I just bought a AMD Radeon Pro WX5100 to drive two new 4K BenQ monitors. Previously I had a Radeon HD 7750 successfully working with both monitors at 4K before installing the WX5100. I followed the usual installation technique -- uninstalled the HD 7750 drivers first, rebooted, then installed the Dec 2017 release (most recent release) of the Radeon Pro drivers. There's a little more detail here, but I'll put that at the end as I'm not sure it's important.

After the drivers were installed, I noticed that the Aero Desktop was not working, so I began searching for settings in the driver and in control panel. I found nothing obvious in the driver settings. I then confirmed that Aero wasn't working by opening control panel's performance panel, which gives the performance index for my machine -- it rated the graphics card as a 1.0 (previously the HD 7750 graphics cards was somewhere above 7.0), and there was a note above this box saying hardware has changed and I should re-run the performance index. When I did so, the machine froze up completely and I had to hard boot it. In the WX5100 driver I found that it was set for 8-bit per color or 24-bit/pixel. The monitors, the display port 1.4 cables that attach to them and the WX5100 support 10-bit per color or 30-bits/pixel. I changed the setting successfully, but that didn't fix the Aero issue. I decided to uninstall the driver and reinstall it. The uninstall hung, but I used Windows Restore in a Safe mode boot to help there. I then successfully installed the WX5100 driver again and Aero still doesn't work. The driver was also set at 8-bits/color again, so I changed it to 10-bits/color and the computer locked up hard again.

I'm not sure what the issue is, though the driver seems like it could be an issue. I used GPU-Z to check the WX5100 to see if anything stood out. The only thing odd I noticed was the Bus Interface box says PCIe x16 3.0 @ x8 2.0. The WX5100 is a PCIe 3.0 x16 card, but I checked with AMD before buying the card and they assured me that it would work in a PCIe 2.0 x16 slot with no loss of capability. So it seems strange that GPU-Z reports the card using only 8 lanes (I assume that's what x8 means). Is that odd or is it only reporting what the card is currently using? Is the next troubleshooting step to try an older driver?

Any help troubleshooting this issue would be greatly appreciated. I thought by now I'd be rating photos!

My machine: HP Pavilion Elite HPE-180t (2010 model) with 24GB RAM, over 60GB free space on C:, 460W PSU running Windows 7 Pro + SP1 and all important Windows Update patches. All installs/uninstalls were done from an account with administrative privileges.

TIA,
David

Other install details mentioned above:
Before the driver install, I had reset the BIOS to default settings while attempting to install a new PSU and forgot to set the time back to the present. As a result, the driver was installed with a 2002 date, and when I rebooted, Windows Updated tried to install 5 updates, but hung on patch #4. Before it hung, I changed the time in Windows, did a hard boot when it hung, then used Windows Restore to uninstall the driver and patches. That worked for the patches but not for the driver. So I reinstalled the driver, then uninstalled it to remove all traces of it before attempting a clean re-install of the driver.

First of all read this about PCI Express 3.0, it came out in late 2010, your rig came out in early to middle 2010, so the card will only run in PCI Express Mode 2, not 3.

Get Display Driver Uninstaller, update your motherboard bios if available from the HP site, get the most current motherboard/chipset drivers from this site

You might find your bios here too, just enter your machines model number.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers

Or the chipset Driver for Intel X58 Win 7 64 from here

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/do...es-Chipset-Based-Desktop-Boards?product=70408

Get your gpu drivers from here
https://pro.radeon.com/en/radeon-pro-software/

Ensure no other devices are in slots that share bandwidth with that pci express slot.

Follow these Steps:

TAKE the gpu out and blow out the pci express slots using a canned duster.

RESEAT the gpu fully and squared in slot.

PLUG in all required power connectors to card fully.

DISCONNECT from the internet by pulling ethernet cord or disabling wifi adapter.

RUN Display Driver Uninstaller follow prompts-restart when prompted.

IF possible uninstall chipset driver

RESTART Machine

INSTALL the X58 chipset driver from HP or intel

RESTART the system

INSTALL the GPU Driver.

RESTART the system.

Run Windows Performance Index again.

Dealio

Assuming you are running 64bit Win7: https://support.amd.com/en-us/download/workstation?os=Windows+7+-+64#release-notes
There is newer version from 14 Feb ... https://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-ar...e-Enterprise-Edition-18.Q1-Release-Notes.aspx
Version 17.12.2 is an Adrenaline edition ... I'm not saying it will solve the issue, just another thing to try

Thanks for the quick reply and suggestion.

You are correct, I am running Windows 7 x64 and I forgot to include that in my stats. I’ll take a look at the driver, but if I recall, that version hadn’t passed WHQL testing (certification) yet. I’m not sure it that really means much, but because I want to avoid beta software I typically will aim for WHQL certified drivers. I’ll check it out, and thanks again for the suggestion! I appreciate it.

First of all read this about PCI Express 3.0, it came out in late 2010, your rig came out in early to middle 2010, so the card will only run in PCI Express Mode 2, not 3.

Get Display Driver Uninstaller, update your motherboard bios if available from the HP site, get the most current motherboard/chipset drivers from this site

You might find your bios here too, just enter your machines model number.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers

Or the chipset Driver for Intel X58 Win 7 64 from here

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/do...es-Chipset-Based-Desktop-Boards?product=70408

Get your gpu drivers from here
https://pro.radeon.com/en/radeon-pro-software/

Ensure no other devices are in slots that share bandwidth with that pci express slot.

Follow these Steps:

TAKE the gpu out and blow out the pci express slots using a canned duster.

RESEAT the gpu fully and squared in slot.

PLUG in all required power connectors to card fully.

DISCONNECT from the internet by pulling ethernet cord or disabling wifi adapter.

RUN Display Driver Uninstaller follow prompts-restart when prompted.

IF possible uninstall chipset driver

RESTART Machine

INSTALL the X58 chipset driver from HP or intel

RESTART the system

INSTALL the GPU Driver.

RESTART the system.

Run Windows Performance Index again.

Thanks for your quick response!

All I can say is WOW. Thanks for such detailed help! This is a lot to absorb. I’ll definitely look into all of it, as I know that my machine is older and may need some updated drivers. I have already checked the BIOS for updates on HPs site (for my specific motherboard, the Pegatron Truckee IPMTB-TK) and apparently I updated it to 5.29, the most recent version according to HP. I’ll check the site you mention as well. For the chipset I have done no updates at all, so I’m interested to see what this reveals.

As far as the PCIe spec, I’ll read through the link you pointed to and perhaps learn even more about it than I have already. The issue that concerned me is I don’t know what the GPU-Z software is reporting to me — current usage or maximum capability that it can see. Perhaps the article you point to will make that clear to me.

This will take me a while to do. Unfortunately I cannot do much today as there are a few things I MUST get done to day just to keep life running, but I’ll certainly be focused on it over the weekend.

Thanks again for such a thorough response!
David

Thanks for the quick reply and suggestion.

You are correct, I am running Windows 7 x64 and I forgot to include that in my stats. I’ll take a look at the driver, but if I recall, that version hadn’t passed WHQL testing (certification) yet. I’m not sure it that really means much, but because I want to avoid beta software I typically will aim for WHQL certified drivers. I’ll check it out, and thanks again for the suggestion! I appreciate it.

Thanks for your quick response!

All I can say is WOW. Thanks for such detailed help! This is a lot to absorb. I’ll definitely look into all of it, as I know that my machine is older and may need some updated drivers. I have already checked the BIOS for updates on HPs site (for my specific motherboard, the Pegatron Truckee IPMTB-TK) and apparently I updated it to 5.29, the most recent version according to HP. I’ll check the site you mention as well. For the chipset I have done no updates at all, so I’m interested to see what this reveals.

As far as the PCIe spec, I’ll read through the link you pointed to and perhaps learn even more about it than I have already. The issue that concerned me is I don’t know what the GPU-Z software is reporting to me — current usage or maximum capability that it can see. Perhaps the article you point to will make that clear to me.

This will take me a while to do. Unfortunately I cannot do much today as there are a few things I MUST get done to day just to keep life running, but I’ll certainly be focused on it over the weekend.

Thanks again for such a thorough response!
David

Also thought of another question I had. You mentioned make sure that no other card is sharing bandwidth with the WX5100. Not sure if I understand how to do that. But I’m guessing here. My motherboard has 2 PCIe x16 slots. The video card is in one of those slots. Does your advice mean avoid putting an expansion card in the other x16 slot? Currently I have a USB3 card in that slot. Thanks

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
To me it looks like you know what exact motherboard is in that system you might be able to find a specific manual to it from pegatron which is also Asus or from Hewlett-Packard that would tell you how your PCI Express slots are laid out because I know certain PCI Express slots share bandwidth with others so when a device is in both slots it drops the bandwidth because it's shared

Take for example my motherboard in my system specs. The third full-size PCI Express slot (16x physically) will half the bandwidth of my second full-size PCI Express slot where another video card would go to run in crossfire, if that other slot is not occupied then the second slot gets a full bandwidth.