• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Radeon R9 290 (non-X) Launch Pushed Back a Week

welly31

Seriously? I get out of bed, get my morning tea, sit down to an interesting news article and even at this hour have to wade through these comments?

It's very improbable that anyone have a valid source for their claims. Unless you have a link showing something, do us all a favor. Turn off caps-lock, check your fanboyism and predigest at the door, and start your sentences with "I think.."

Ok im sorry but that is the most hilarious mispelling of prejudice ive ever seen. Pre digest...whats that? when your mom chews up your food for you before you eat it? hahaha

AMD doesn't care about reviewers that much. They'll drop products on them at the last minute, they'll pile products together in a condensed fashion, and they'll do extensive product launches many time zones away from their homes. Hell, they even allow you to do certain, cherry-picked parts of reviews early while letting you do the remaining parts, the parts they lose at, later.

Sorry, I don't buy that you're delaying it for the reviewers. You're delaying it because you're busy retooling your factories to up the clockrates of your cards post-780-is-$500-ohcrap-what-do-we-do-now? panic mode. Plus, you're busy sending out updated firmwares to reviewers and sending out new drivers that you hope will eke you out past nVidia.

This is what happens when--without a marketing department--you "reveal" and "launch" a month out, promising preorders but don't deliver for weeks on end. How long did you think you'd do this before nVidia responded?

I'm gathering AMD thought nVidia wouldn't respond until much later, but we all knew that if AMD seemed on the verge of success with discrete GPU's for even a few weeks, nVidia would end that easily enough.

And so they did. 780's for all! They're a bit slower than the R9 290X, but they're also a LOT easier to deal with as their premier coolers are quieter, nVidia's problems with coil whine are far less than AMD's, and the hardware is just outright not as hot or stressed to the max.

Most people don't want their computer to actually be better as a space heater, too. If only AMD had a marketing department (instead of laying most of them off), they might have gotten a product out before nVidia's price cuts neutered their product launch.

Please tell me you're kidding
I hope you do realize amd designed hawaii to be as cost effective as possible while performing better than titan right? Titan is 550mm2+ while hawaii is a good 100mm2 smaller in size, amd couldve easily made a bigger chip and clock it lower to get same performance with less power use but then price goes up with that so trust me nvidia selling gtx780 at 500$ is not something they are happy with, hence why they will release gtx780ti which will probably be clocked much higher for better performance.
As for the factory clocked 780s u keep talking about beating 290x well yaaa i dont think so, 290x beats titan by a small margin and the 780 by atleast 10% so 780 would have to be clocked over a ghz to even start getting close, and when u do that the efficiency arguement about nvidia goes down the drain cuz 800mhz on 28nm seems to be a sweet spot for efficiency but when u go close to ghz poweruse scales higher

In other words your arguement is a bit inaccurate as amd can affort to sell 290x at 500$ while making way more profit than nvidia selling 780 at the same price. So to say amd is screwed or surprised is an overstatement

System Name PC ?
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 AORUS XTREME
Cooling NZXT Kraken X62
Memory 64gb of G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB 3600 / CL16
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XTX NITRO+
Storage C:/ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 2TB - D:/7TB of Storage (WD-Bx2) - X:/Samsung 840 EVO 1TB
Display(s) Samsung Neo G9 57"
Case Corsair 1000D
Audio Device(s) Cambridge Audio CXA60 + Klipsch RP-160M
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME Ultra Titanium 1000TR
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Logitech G Pro Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro (64bit)
Stop the fight ~.~

AMD was always best 4 price ...

World record on performance belongs now to AMD and not to 4-WAY SLI of Titan~.~

4000$ vs 2196$

But we are still waiting to Maxwell chips from nvidia .. i hope price will be fixed and not like always.

Processor i5-7600k
Motherboard ASRock Z170 Pro4
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO w/ AC MX-4
Memory 2x8GB DDR4 2400 Corsair LPX Vengeance 15-15-15-36
Video Card(s) MSI Twin Frozr 1070ti
Storage 240GB Corsair Force GT
Display(s) 23' Dell AW2310
Case Corsair 550D
Power Supply Seasonic SS-760XP2 Platinum
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
I love these releases because of the price cuts - - I have a miniITX case so the r9 is just too damn hot and loud to have (although the performance is awesome). 780 it is for me, i am sure there are a ton of people out there in the same boat.

I wish one of these manufacturer's for AMD would make a card like half-cut nvidia GPUs. Asus's cute little 670 and 760 are comfortable enough to fit in a mITX no problem. It would certainly appeal to more smaller form-factor enthusiasts.

On-topic, their R9 290 better be competitive with the 780, that's all I gotta say. The price better be right or else demand won't be as high as AMD hopes for them to sell it at a premium when it launches.

Last edited:
Please tell me you're kidding...

In other words your arguement is a bit inaccurate as amd can affort to sell 290x at 500$ while making way more profit than nvidia selling 780 at the same price. So to say amd is screwed or surprised is an overstatement

To keep it simple I understand and agree to most all of what you’re saying...

My only thing to add is that these are geldings that didn't make the grade as Tesla products. So in that vein, can we say Nvidia doesn't exactly need to sell as normal, because they get 3x for one chip from the professional market. While if there's 30% geldings they can off-load those for a substantial discount. I see that as the saving grace for these Nvidia discrete gaming desktop market has them in. Also, why I don't believe we would see a full-GK110, for as you state the cost those they need to keep in the professional, unless even full-fledged GK110 are sorted by power usage and some don't make the grade for professional products.

AMD has Hawaii as a standalone market, at least I've heard nothing of them being for FirePro professional graphics offerings?

System Name [WIP]
Processor Intel Pentium G3420 [i7-4790K SOON(tm)]
Motherboard MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming
Cooling [Corsair H100i]
Memory G.Skill TridentX 2x8GB-2400-CL10 DDR3
Video Card(s) [MSI AMD Radeon R9-290 Gaming]
Storage Seagate 2TB Desktop SSHD / [Samsung 256GB 840 PRO]
Display(s) [BenQ XL2420Z]
Case [Corsair Obsidian 750D]
Power Supply Corsair RM750
Software Windows 8.1 x64 Pro / Linux Mint 15 / SteamOS
Exactly my point, AMD got caught, so they had to fixed it, and now I'm merely suggesting these sort of tests be considered again for future reviews, is it really worth this much discussion? its simply amazing that fanboys get so mad about the littlest things its like women on PMS.

Dude, just... just... get out.

Even nVidia fans ridicule you... You're that bad.

@Eroticus: GTX TITAN can't 4-way SLi as far as I'm aware... But I get what you mean.

Which reminds me... anyone considered the sheer power a 4-way R9 290X Crossfire over Mantle would bring!?

Processor Ryzen 9 7950X3D
Motherboard MSI X670E MPG Carbon Wifi
Cooling Custom loop, 2x360mm radiator,Lian Li UNI, EK XRes140,EK Velocity2
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill DDR5-6400 @ 6400MHz C32
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra OC Scanner core +750 mem
Storage MP600 2TB,960 EVO 1TB,XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB,Micron 1100 2TB,1.5TB Caviar Green
Display(s) Acer X34S, Acer XB270HU
Case LianLi O11 Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Logitech G-Pro X Wireless
Power Supply EVGA P3 1200W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Logitech G512 Carbon w/ GX Brown
VR HMD HP Reverb G2 (V2)
Software Win 11

@Eroticus: GTX TITAN can't 4-way SLi as far as I'm aware... But I get what you mean.

Which reminds me... anyone considered the sheer power a 4-way R9 290X Crossfire over Mantle would bring!?

http://youtu.be/PVOL7Fbd6go - Titan 4-way SLI
http://www.legitreviews.com/geforce-gtx-680-4-way-sli-review-on-hardware-info_12692 - GTX680 4-way SLI

4-way SLI/Crossfire is nothing new to AMD nor nVidia.

System Name [WIP]
Processor Intel Pentium G3420 [i7-4790K SOON(tm)]
Motherboard MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming
Cooling [Corsair H100i]
Memory G.Skill TridentX 2x8GB-2400-CL10 DDR3
Video Card(s) [MSI AMD Radeon R9-290 Gaming]
Storage Seagate 2TB Desktop SSHD / [Samsung 256GB 840 PRO]
Display(s) [BenQ XL2420Z]
Case [Corsair Obsidian 750D]
Power Supply Corsair RM750
Software Windows 8.1 x64 Pro / Linux Mint 15 / SteamOS
http://youtu.be/PVOL7Fbd6go - Titan 4-way SLI
http://www.legitreviews.com/geforce-gtx-680-4-way-sli-review-on-hardware-info_12692 - GTX680 4-way SLI

4-way SLI/Crossfire is nothing new to AMD nor nVidia.

You know you can snip parts out of posts that don't concert what you're replying to, right...
Anyway, I must have mixed (deducted) the part where nVidia kept claiming that triple-SLi TITANs are faster than double GTX 690 (so quad/4x), with a 4x GTX TITAN configuration not being possible. And I'm well aware of 4x GPU configurations, SLi or CF, I was exclusively referring to TITANs in my original post.

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Processor Rocket Lake Core i5 11600K @ 5 Ghz with PL tweaks
Motherboard MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120SE + 4 Phanteks 140mm case fans
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB SR) Patriot Viper Steel 4133Mhz DDR4 @ 3600Mhz CL14@1.45v Gear 1
Video Card(s) Asus Dual RTX 4070 OC
Storage WD Blue SN550 1TB M.2 NVME//Crucial MX500 500GB SSD (OS)
Display(s) AOC Q2781PQ 27 inch Ultra Slim 2560 x 1440 IPS
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Windowed - Gunmetal
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1200/SPDIF to Sony AVR @ 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM650w Gold Semi modular
Mouse Coolermaster Storm Octane wired
Keyboard Element Gaming Carbon Mk2 Tournament Mech
Software Win 10 Home x64

Not sure on that but I am guessing you would need to park your PC next to the nearest nuclear power plant :D

Processor Ryzen 9 7950X3D
Motherboard MSI X670E MPG Carbon Wifi
Cooling Custom loop, 2x360mm radiator,Lian Li UNI, EK XRes140,EK Velocity2
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill DDR5-6400 @ 6400MHz C32
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra OC Scanner core +750 mem
Storage MP600 2TB,960 EVO 1TB,XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB,Micron 1100 2TB,1.5TB Caviar Green
Display(s) Acer X34S, Acer XB270HU
Case LianLi O11 Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Logitech G-Pro X Wireless
Power Supply EVGA P3 1200W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Logitech G512 Carbon w/ GX Brown
VR HMD HP Reverb G2 (V2)
Software Win 11
You know you can snip parts out of posts that don't concert what you're replying to, right...
Anyway, I must have mixed (deducted) the part where nVidia kept claiming that triple-SLi TITANs are faster than double GTX 690 (so quad/4x), with a 4x GTX TITAN configuration not being possible. And I'm well aware of 4x GPU configurations, SLi or CF, I was exclusively referring to TITANs in my original post.

Gee, can I? Didn't know that.

Sorry, I don't buy that you're delaying it for the reviewers. You're delaying it because you're busy retooling your factories to up the clockrates of your cards post-780-is-$500-ohcrap-what-do-we-do-now? panic mode. Plus, you're busy sending out updated firmwares to reviewers and sending out new drivers that you hope will eke you out past nVidia.

This is what happens when--without a marketing department--you "reveal" and "launch" a month out, promising preorders but don't deliver for weeks on end. How long did you think you'd do this before nVidia responded?

I'm gathering AMD thought nVidia wouldn't respond until much later, but we all knew that if AMD seemed on the verge of success with discrete GPU's for even a few weeks, nVidia would end that easily enough.

And so they did. 780's for all! They're a bit slower than the R9 290X, but they're also a LOT easier to deal with as their premier coolers are quieter, nVidia's problems with coil whine are far less than AMD's, and the hardware is just outright not as hot or stressed to the max.

Most people don't want their computer to actually be better as a space heater, too. If only AMD had a marketing department (instead of laying most of them off), they might have gotten a product out before nVidia's price cuts neutered their product launch.

LOL you go on as if extra performance from AMD is a bad thing, and that AMD wont have better coolers from AIB`s. The only one I see panicking is Nvidia (Massive $150 price drop LOL), but wait - that is nothing, wait till the 290 hits.. Nvidia is getting exactly what it did with pricing the 680 cheaper against the 7970. And don`t people think enough is enough for Nvidia milking people as long as they have?

the performance/price crown since the card barely keeps up with factory OC 780s and has pitiful overclock headroom due to the worthless cooler.

The 290X is Faster and at the same price/performance even though the 780 is slower and $50 cheaper Duh. I would go as far and say the 290X is a much better deal with water cooling, or just wait for after market cards which will thoroughly trounce the Titan and 780.

Dude, these are businesses, their sole purpose is to make money. I dont care if AMD or NVidia do weird things with chips and clocks, in order to better compete. They do what they do to, you know, make money.

Who cares what Nvidia or AMD think or do, its what we customers want or think that matters.. I don't understand you praising Nvidia`s profits over customers getting the better deal.. Seriously you should get out more as your priorities are f`ed up.

Its funny and helerious seeing people getting upset bcoz AMD is squeezing more performance out of their cards LOL.

The 780ti is going to be a furnace, power hungry and expensive. The 780 and Titan is already hot and power hungry once they are overclocked. The Titan at default settings easily reaches 85c, and the noise/heat is not much different for the 290X vs the 680/titan/780

System Name The Stone that the Builders Refused / iJayo
Processor R5 1600/ R7 3700X
Motherboard Asrock AB350 Pro4 / Asus Rog Strix B450-F gaming
Cooling Cryorig M9 / Noctua NH-D14
Memory G skill 16 Gigs ddr4 / 16 gigs PNY ddr4
Video Card(s) Nvdia GTX 660 / Nvidia RTX 2070 Super
Storage 120gig 840 evo, 120gig adata sp900 / 1tb Mushkin M.2 ssd 1 & 3 tb seagate hdd, 120 gig Hyper X ssd
Display(s) 42" Nec retail display monitor/ 34" Dell curved 165hz monitor
Case Pink Enermax Ostrog / Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Tempered Glass edition
Audio Device(s) Altec Lansing Expressionist Bass/ M-Audio monitors
Power Supply Corsair450 / Be Quiet Dark Power Pro 650
Mouse corsair vengence M65 / Zalman Knossos
Keyboard corsair k95 / Roccat Vulcan 121
Software Window 10 pro / Windows 10 pro
Benchmark Scores meh... feel me on the battle field!
Silly mortal...

Seriously? I get out of bed, get my morning tea, sit down to an interesting news article and even at this hour have to wade through these comments?

It's very improbable that anyone have a valid source for their claims. Unless you have a link showing something, do us all a favor. Turn off caps-lock, check your fanboyism and prejudice at the door, and start your sentences with "I think.."
Snip..

only a brave few dare post that way....we use bold and extra large font too....

INCUR OUR WRATH AT YOU OWN PERIL :roll:

In spite of the tom foolery this has been quite an exciting launch with more to come. In the end we all win.. green or red... hope this turns into a price cutting war on both sides :rockout:

Last edited:
Reactions: xvi
System Name Master / Note
Processor Core i5 2310 / Pentium T4200
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-H61M-S2V-B3 / Barebone
Memory 2x2 GB Generic 1333MHz / 2+1GB DDR2 1066Mhz
Video Card(s) HD 7950 Vapor-X
Display(s) Samsung UN32EH6030GXZD 32" / Sansung 932BW 19"
Case Cooler Master Elite 331
Power Supply Antec High Current Gamer 400
Software Windows 7Pro x64 MSDNA / Windows 7 Basic x32
review sites should also be testing whether AMD has been playing dirty with their drivers and false-optimization, I smell something fishy here, you don't suddenly "improve performance significantly" without some sort of sacrifice being made somewhere. AMD was caught doing this a while back to trade performance at the cost of quality loss, so I'm curious if they are still doing this to meaninglessly boost benchmark results.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/image-quality-driver-optimization-graphics,3173.html
http://www.semiaccurate.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-3688.html
http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=332919

2 and 3 are FUD! The first of the link are a joke!

review sites should also be testing whether AMD has been playing dirty with their drivers and false-optimization, I smell something fishy here, you don't suddenly "improve performance significantly" without some sort of sacrifice being made somewhere. AMD was caught doing this a while back to trade performance at the cost of quality loss, so I'm curious if they are still doing this to meaninglessly boost benchmark results.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/image-quality-driver-optimization-graphics,3173.html
http://www.semiaccurate.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-3688.html
http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=332919

Remember the Nvidia FSAA cheat? You could select "8xFSAA" in the display controls and without telling you, it would drop back to 4x or 2x depending on the resolution you were running.

Nvidia deliberately slowing down games coz it slows down the radeons more
http://techreport.com/review/21404/crysis-2-tessellation-too-much-of-a-good-thing

AMD Alleges NVIDIA Cheats in HD HQV
http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=8608

Futuremark confirms nVidia is cheating in benchmark
http://www.geek.com/games/futuremark-confirms-nvidia-is-cheating-in-benchmark-553361/

Nvidia cheats on 3DMark with 177.39 drivers
http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1048824/nvidia-cheats-3dmark-177-drivers

nVidia cheating with HAWX optimisations to fake benchmark figures
http://www.kitguru.net/forum/nvidia...awx-optimisations-fake-benchmark-figures.html

The List is endless, and I just wanted to open your eyes to the fact Nvidia is no Angel and have a history of bad tactics.

Oh and remember this. see below.

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/02/09/nvidias-manchurian-fans-shill-for-gear/
http://consumerist.com/2006/02/06/did-nvidia-hire-online-actors-to-promote-their-products/
http://forum.xbitlabs.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=9649
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1668756

Again the list is endless.

System Name Rainbow
Processor Intel Core i7 8700k
Motherboard MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC
Cooling Corsair H115i, 2x Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC-3000 PWM
Memory G. Skill TridentZ RGB 4x8GB (F4-3600C16Q-32GTZR)
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GeForce RTX 3090 Trinity
Storage 2x Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | 2xHGST Deskstar 4TB 7.2K
Display(s) Samsung C27HG70
Case Xigmatek Aquila
Power Supply Seasonic 760W SS-760XP
Mouse Razer Deathadder 2013
Keyboard Corsair Vengeance K95
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 4 trillion points in GmailMark, over 144 FPS 2K Facebook Scrolling (Extreme Quality preset)
Drivers aren't perfect at release. It's not too terribly farfetched that AMD found an improvement to code.

As for the "cheating at benchmarks" thing, almost EVERYONE does it. Good reviews will test for this.

Ok im sorry but that is the most hilarious mispelling of prejudice ive ever seen. Pre digest...whats that? when your mom chews up your food for you before you eat it? hahaha

Ah. It was early in the morning for me and I made the mistake of blindly trusting Firefox's built-in dictionary, a mistake I make all too often. Corrected.

I'd imagine AMD would have to re-think how CrossFire works for Mantle. If I'm not mistaken, they had to work on implementation for both DirectX and OpenGL somewhat separately, or at the very least. I'm no Mantle engineer though.

AMD seems to have a few good things going for it in the near future. Should be interesting to see how this unfolds for both sides.

Last edited: