• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Radeon R9 290X Features 64 ROPs

That depends on how many devs adopt the API. I'm not a fan of proprietary APIs, including physx. This will further fragment the PC gaming.

It won't fragment anything. If your card doesn't support Mantle, it will still run just the same using Direct3D (just a tiny bit slower, clearly). Feature wise i don't think there will be much difference since HW is of the same class. PhysX on the other hand, without the support either doesn't work at all or works piss poorly even on 4+ GHz quad core...

So in the end it's just a matter of developers taking time to use Mantle API in their engine. And frankly i'd prefer Mantle over anything. Extra performance is always nice where i have yet to see anything useful from PhysX other than lame eye candy that still badly degrades performance even on fully supported HW...

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
Hmm, I like how people anthropomorphize inanimate objects. It won't make a graphics card cry. It will only make idiots cry. And it will only make idiots shout triumphantly as if owning a certain brand is like following a football team.

Anybody using terms like "This is gonna kick Titan's butt" or "Titan fall" or "this will make GK110 cry" have lost the plot. It's a piece of technology, not your brother in a school yard fight.

Folk need to just grow up.

Here's how it is. If the R9 290X truly trounces the performance of a GTX Titan, then that is a very good thing for everyone. As a person who puts money aside for tech products, I'll go and buy the AMD card (once water blocks are out). To me it's a win win situation.

In BF4 at 2560x1440 with Ultra settings I get roughly 60fps, with drops to 50 and peaks at 70. That's how fast Titan is but if 290X gets 15% more (minimum 60fps) I'll get that card as well.

And in 'x' months Nvidia will release another card that will beat the performance of the 290X and the idiots will come clammering back saying '290 Xpired' and other such nonsense.

People - it's a graphics card. If you're getting in any way attached to it, please, go outside and feel the breeze, cuddle your partner or phone your dear old mum. There's more to life than triumphalism/defeatism about tech for goodness sake.

Why are you here then?

Like the fat kit at the party standing by the snacks....

All of us already agree that evolution and revolution of hardware and software in the right ways is great for the consumer (all of us), and Nvidia's Titan costing so much with little to now answer from AMD has been questionable.

We now have that answer, and some leaked benchmarks, titan killer or not if it at least brings the price down to sane levels it gives all of us some choice in the marketplace, plus the standard fanfare.

Mantle or a proprietary API is another branch on this tree, Nvidia has been a royal dick about many things, CYDA, Physx. AMD/ATI have been royal dicks about many things, drivers, software "vaporware".

However, if they can create a API that allows software to bypass the bottlenecks, good for them and shame on Nvidia for not having the sight and mobility to do it.

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals
I wonder what would be the real power consumption on this baby on full load and slight occ.

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
Why are you here then?

Like the fat kit at the party standing by the snacks....

All of us already agree that evolution and revolution of hardware and software in the right ways is great for the consumer (all of us), and Nvidia's Titan costing so much with little to now answer from AMD has been questionable.

We now have that answer, and some leaked benchmarks, titan killer or not if it at least brings the price down to sane levels it gives all of us some choice in the marketplace, plus the standard fanfare.

Mantle or a proprietary API is another branch on this tree, Nvidia has been a royal dick about many things, CYDA, Physx. AMD/ATI have been royal dicks about many things, drivers, software "vaporware".

However, if they can create a API that allows software to bypass the bottlenecks, good for them and shame on Nvidia for not having the sight and mobility to do it.

Your reply is very well taken except your first two lines which are to be frank, ignorant.

I'm here because I like technology. Yet I don't like the clamouring voices taking things personally - it creates a poor atmosphere where discussing tech becomes a chore.

As for the insult, i suppose it's to be expected from the forum ocassionally when you try to reason with people. I'm sorry I brought out your negativity.

System Name ITX Desktop
Processor Core i7 9700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Pro WiFi Z390
Cooling Arctic esports 34 duo.
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3000MHz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 Gaming OC White PRO
Storage Samsung 970 EVO Plus | Intel SSD 660p
Case NZXT H200
Power Supply Corsair CX Series 750 Watt
From Jon Peddie Research
"PC gamers continue to buy and build with a fervency that could be compared to motorcycle, 4X4, and sports car enthusiasts, always looking for more speed, power, utility, and handling."

It is fine to get attached to and be emotional about motorbikes, sports cars, computer hardware etc.

Now lets stop insulting each other and enjoy our life..I mean hardware.

HammerON

The Watchful Moderator
Staff member
System Name Threadripper
Processor 3960X
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix TRX40-XE
Cooling XSPC Raystorm Neo (sTR4) Water Block
Memory G. Skill Trident Z Neo 64 GB 3600
Video Card(s) PNY RTX 4090
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 512 GB + WD Black SN850 1TB
Display(s) Dell 32" Curved Gaming Monitor (S3220DGF)
Case Corsair 5000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) On-board
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G5
Mouse Roccat Kone Pure
Keyboard Corsair K70
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Always changing~
Please remain civil towards one another. It is alright to disagree with what another member posts, but do so without the insults. This is not a suggestion:)

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Software W10
Please remain civil towards one another. It is alright to disagree with what another member posts, but do so without the insults. This is not a suggestion:)

Civility is a masquerade from behind which monsters lie.

Anyhow, you gonna partake in a 290X Mr Hammer? Might be fun to bench now we know they'll have water blocks from the get go.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
Hmm, I like how people anthropomorphize inanimate objects. It won't make a graphics card cry. It will only make idiots cry. And it will only make idiots shout triumphantly as if owning a certain brand is like following a football team.

Anybody using terms like "This is gonna kick Titan's butt" or "Titan fall" or "this will make GK110 cry" have lost the plot. It's a piece of technology, not your brother in a school yard fight.

Here's how it is. If the R9 290X truly trounces the performance of a GTX Titan, then that is a very good thing for everyone. As a person who puts money aside for tech products, I'll go and buy the AMD card (once water blocks are out). To me it's a win win situation.

In BF4 at 2560x1440 with Ultra settings I get roughly 60fps, with drops to 50 and peaks at 70. That's how fast Titan is but if 290X gets 15% more (minimum 60fps) I'll get that card as well.

And in 'x' months Nvidia will release another card that will beat the performance of the 290X and the idiots will come clammering back saying '290 Xpired' and other such nonsense.

People - it's a graphics card. If you're getting in any way attached to it, please, go outside and feel the breeze, cuddle your partner or phone your dear old mum. There's more to life than triumphalism/defeatism about tech for goodness sake.

Someone got his first bigboypants! :laugh:

EDIT: Sorry. Can't take anything seriously today. You're right it would be good for everyone. It is the way of the land though, to get upset about things.

Last edited:

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Software W10
Someone got his first bigboypants! :laugh:

EDIT: Sorry. Can't take anything seriously today. You're right it would be good for everyone. It is the way of the land though, to get upset about things.

Nah, you're right. I need to accept people's thoughts even if they are illogical to me. Anyhow, I like my bigboypants, took me 39 years to graduate into them. But now i have to go poop in the bigboyroom.

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Storage Samsung SM961 256GB + HGST 1TB
Display(s) 1080p IPS G-SYNC 75Hz
Audio Device(s) Bang & Olufsen
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
Nah, you're right. I need to accept people's thoughts even if they are illogical to me. Anyhow, I like my bigboypants, took me 39 years to graduate into them. But now i have to go poop in the bigboyroom.

It amuses me more because Titan is actually very old tech, and only now has AMD managed to get toe to toe with it. The more amusing fact is that all these people getting all cross-eyed and sweaty over 290X dont actually know its performance in games, and are merely basing their speculative nature on a couple of charts that show the 290X beat the Titan in one or two instances, but then either lost to or equalled the Titan in other tests. One of said instances was BF4 where AMD's mantle has been forcably injected (via bribes from AMD), so that holds zero value to me. What about every other game in existence that doesnt use mantle? The 290X isnt going to make the Titan look like a little girl. It's going to make an old man still look like a god damn athlete.
Oh, AMD, your cooler sucks. NVidia's blower cooler looks and seems to perform far better (Please see AMD reference review and GTX 780 reference review for figures)

Dont hate me yo. I've used AMD and NVidia cards alike, I just go where the best performance is for my money.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism
Memory Team Group Dark Pro 8Pack Edition 3600Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 FE
Storage Kingston A2000 1TB + Seagate HDD workhorse
Display(s) Samsung 50" QN94A Neo QLED
Case Antec 1200
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850
Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma
Keyboard Logitech UltraX
Software Windows 11
huh ? what?
Oh please dude.. :slap:

What part didn't you understand? :slap:

As RCoon said, it's funny people are getting excited an unreleased card is faster than something that was rocking at ORNL over a year ago.

Just trying to put things into perspective, don't be mad.

If the R9 290X does indeed rock and is reasonably priced I'll be picking one up, the brand sticker on the side doesn't bother as much as others here.

2 RCoon
It amuses me more because some people think that there is a valid comperission between the tech even though its released in different timeline. Using your logic its Nvidia who will try to fight 290x by releasing their new card.
So you don't have the problem with Batmen, Metro etc but you have trouble with BF4, how come you're so bs yet say you're not?
Oh and Nvidia drivers suck, remember how their cards fried because of drivers, or was it because cooling solution, who cares its still shit.

Don't hate me yo. I've used AMD and NVidia cards alike, I just go where the best performance is for my money.

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
2 RCoon
It amuses me more because some people think that there is a valid comperission between the tech even though its released in different timeline. Using your logic its Nvidia who will try to fight 290x by releasing their new card.
So you don't have the problem with Batmen, Metro etc but you have trouble with BF4, how come you're so bs yet say you're not?
Oh and Nvidia drivers suck, remember how their cards fried because of drivers, or was it because cooling solution, who cares its still shit.

Don't hate me yo. I've used AMD and NVidia cards alike, I just go where the best performance is for my money.

:confused: As much as I try to understand your arguements, I actually cant.
What you're saying about drivers is marginally hypocritical, and you merely reinforced my statement about Titan being old tech but still capable of going toe to toe with AMD's new stuff. "how come you're so bs yet say you're not?" Do you even know what you're saying?

System Name TITAN Slayer / CPUCannon / MassFX
Processor i7 5960X @ 4.6Ghz / i7 3960x @5.0Ghz / FX6350 @ 4.?Ghz
Motherboard Rampage V Extreme / Rampage IV Extreme / MSI 970 Gaming
Cooling Phanteks PHTC14PE 2.5K 145mm TRs / Custom waterloop / Phanteks PHTC14PE + 3K 140mm Noctuas
Memory Crucial 2666 11-13-13-25 1.45V / G.skill RipjawsX 2400 10-12-12-34 1.7V / Crucial 2133 9-9-9-27 1.7V
Video Card(s) 3 Fury X in CF / R9 Fury 3840 cores 1145/570 1.3V / Nothing ATM
Storage 500GB Crucial SSD and 3TB WD Black / WD 1TB Black(OS) + WD 3TB Green / WD 1TB Blue
Display(s) LG 29UM67 80Hz/Asus mx299q 2560x1080 @ 84Hz / Asus VX239 1920x1080 @60hz
Case Dismatech easy v3.0 / Xigmatek Alfar (Open side panel)
Audio Device(s) M-audio M-track / realtek ALC 1150
Power Supply EVGA G2 1600W / CoolerMaster V1000 / Seasonic 620 M12-II
Mouse Mouse in review process/Razer Naga Epic 2011/Razer Naga 2014
Keyboard Keyboard in review process / Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2014/Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2011
Software Windows 7 Ultimate / Windows 7 ultimate / Windows 7 ultimate
Benchmark Scores cinebench 15.41 3960x @ 5.3ghz Wprime32m 3.352 3960x @ 5.25ghz Super PI 32m: 6m 42s 472ms @5.25ghz
It amuses me more because Titan is actually very old tech, and only now has AMD managed to get toe to toe with it. The more amusing fact is that all these people getting all cross-eyed and sweaty over 290X dont actually know its performance in games, and are merely basing their speculative nature on a couple of charts that show the 290X beat the Titan in one or two instances, but then either lost to or equalled the Titan in other tests. One of said instances was BF4 where AMD's mantle has been forcably injected (via bribes from AMD), so that holds zero value to me. What about every other game in existence that doesnt use mantle? The 290X isnt going to make the Titan look like a little girl. It's going to make an old man still look like a god damn athlete.
Oh, AMD, your cooler sucks. NVidia's blower cooler looks and seems to perform far better (Please see AMD reference review and GTX 780 reference review for figures)

Dont hate me yo. I've used AMD and NVidia cards alike, I just go where the best performance is for my money.

You can only buy reference TITANs. However Linus from Linus tech tips said that he doesn't know of any reviewers with reference cooled R9 290Xs so the cooling will probably be non issues whereas the TITAN's vanity cooler is the only option. BTW the TITAN has one of the worst VRM designs I have seen on a high end card excluding the GTX680. The TITAN is also so old because the when they designed it was way too expensive to produce even now when the 28nm process is so good that 7970s cost 300$ the TITAN cost 3 times that but is only 25% faster. AMD probably realized that making a monster chip would be stupid because of the failure rates and never bothered designing a core to compete with the TITAN until the TITAN became a rumor.

Fourstaff

Staff member
System Name Orange! // ItchyHands
Processor 3570K // 10400F
Motherboard ASRock z77 Extreme4 // TUF Gaming B460M-Plus
Cooling Stock // Stock
Memory 2x4Gb 1600Mhz CL9 Corsair XMS3 // 2x8Gb 3200 Mhz XPG D41
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ RX 570 // Asus TUF RTX 2070
Storage Samsung 840 250Gb // SX8200 480GB
Display(s) LG 22EA53VQ // Philips 275M QHD
Case NZXT Phantom 410 Black/Orange // Tecware Forge M
Power Supply Corsair CXM500w // CM MWE 600w
You can only buy reference TITANs. However Linus from Linus tech tips said that he doesn't know of any reviewers with reference cooled R9 290Xs so the cooling will probably be non issues whereas the TITAN's vanity cooler is the only option. BTW the TITAN has one of the worst VRM designs I have seen on a high end card excluding the GTX680. The TITAN is also so old because the when they designed it was way too expensive to produce even now when the 28nm process is so good that 7970s cost 300$ the TITAN cost 3 times that but is only 25% faster. AMD probably realized that making a monster chip would be stupid because of the failure rates and never bothered designing a core to compete with the TITAN until the TITAN became a rumor.

You know, Nvidia can easily relax their TITAN requirements, allowing AIBs to slap on the fanciest cooler with the best VRM designs they can get. What we don't know is how good the 290x is, and if the rumoured price is any indication of performance it should be about as good or slightly better than 780. I am infinitely more interested in GTX780 vs 290x, since TITAN is a premium product made with absolutely no regard to price/perf.

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro

The Titan can be sold cheaper, the price does not reflect the actual cost to produce, the price is merely there to maintain its high-roller profile. Also the VRM design may "look" bad to you, but if you ask a couple of members who have unlocked their Titan's voltage and are watercooling them, you'll find they clock upwards of 1300Mhz. See >Titan Clubhouse.

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Software W10
BTW the TITAN has one of the worst VRM designs I have seen on a high end card excluding the GTX680.

It's not bad at all. It's just not superb. That being said, the sturdy VRM designs are usually done by AIB's (for Lightning's Classified, custom cards).

What I'd like to see from the 290X is a PCB that has good voltage circuitry that eliminates or vastly reduces the possibility of choke whine. A lot of 7970's had pretty bad coil whine and even W1zz was taken aback by the noise from the 7990.

On paper the 290X looks pretty damn impressive but I just hope they get the 'bodywork' to a suitable level.

On the subject of Titan's cooler - it actually works very well and even at it's loudest, it's not an invasive noise at all. Naysayers are normally not owners in that regard, that can be backed up by almost every single Titan review that referenced the noise output. Still too loud for me though. If I can't hear my Chinchilla fart over my PC's noise output, something needs fixed.

System Name Little Boy / New Guy
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X / Intel Core I5 10400F
Motherboard Asrock X470 Taichi Ultimate / Asus H410M Prime
Cooling ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 280 A-RGB / ARCTIC Freezer 34 eSports DUO
Memory TeamGroup Zeus 2x16GB 3200Mhz CL16 / Teamgroup 1x16GB 3000Mhz CL18
Video Card(s) Asrock Phantom RX 6800 XT 16GB / Asus RTX 3060 Ti 8GB DUAL Mini V2
Storage Patriot Viper VPN100 Nvme 1TB / OCZ Vertex 4 256GB Sata / Ultrastar 2TB / IronWolf 4TB / WD Red 8TB
Display(s) Compumax MF32C 144Hz QHD / ViewSonic OMNI 27 144Hz QHD
Case Phanteks Eclipse P400A / Montech X3 Mesh
Power Supply Aresgame 850W 80+ Gold / Aerocool 850W Plus bronze
Mouse Gigabyte Force M7 Thor
Keyboard Gigabyte Aivia K8100
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 Bits

+1
I couldn't have said it better.

System Name Little Boy / New Guy
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X / Intel Core I5 10400F
Motherboard Asrock X470 Taichi Ultimate / Asus H410M Prime
Cooling ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 280 A-RGB / ARCTIC Freezer 34 eSports DUO
Memory TeamGroup Zeus 2x16GB 3200Mhz CL16 / Teamgroup 1x16GB 3000Mhz CL18
Video Card(s) Asrock Phantom RX 6800 XT 16GB / Asus RTX 3060 Ti 8GB DUAL Mini V2
Storage Patriot Viper VPN100 Nvme 1TB / OCZ Vertex 4 256GB Sata / Ultrastar 2TB / IronWolf 4TB / WD Red 8TB
Display(s) Compumax MF32C 144Hz QHD / ViewSonic OMNI 27 144Hz QHD
Case Phanteks Eclipse P400A / Montech X3 Mesh
Power Supply Aresgame 850W 80+ Gold / Aerocool 850W Plus bronze
Mouse Gigabyte Force M7 Thor
Keyboard Gigabyte Aivia K8100
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 Bits
The Titan can be sold cheaper, the price does not reflect the actual cost to produce, the price is merely there to maintain its high-roller profile. Also the VRM design may "look" bad to you, but if you ask a couple of members who have unlocked their Titan's voltage and are watercooling them, you'll find they clock upwards of 1300Mhz. See >Titan Clubhouse.

Still, i think titan is much more expensive to make than a 290x.
Btw, amd bringing a new card to compete with such an "old" card as titan, that's always the same story, be nvidia or be amd the one trying to catch up.

AsRock

TPU addict
Processor AMD 3900X \ AMD 7700X
Motherboard ASRock AM4 X570 Pro 4 \ ASUS X670Xe TUF
Cooling D15
Memory Patriot 2x16GB PVS432G320C6K \ G.Skill Flare X5 F5-6000J3238F 2x16GB
Video Card(s) eVga GTX1060 SSC \ XFX RX 6950XT RX-695XATBD9
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 1080P \ LG 43UN700
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 Infinity RS4000\Paradigm P Studio 20, Blue Yeti
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750 \ Corsair RM1000X Shift
Mouse Steelseries Sensei wireless \ Steelseries Sensei wireless
Keyboard Logitech K120 \ Wooting Two HE
Benchmark Scores Meh benchmarks.
It's not bad at all. It's just not superb. That being said, the sturdy VRM designs are usually done by AIB's (for Lightning's Classified, custom cards).

What I'd like to see from the 290X is a PCB that has good voltage circuitry that eliminates or vastly reduces the possibility of choke whine. A lot of 7970's had pretty bad coil whine and even W1zz was taken aback by the noise from the 7990.

On paper the 290X looks pretty damn impressive but I just hope they get the 'bodywork' to a suitable level.

On the subject of Titan's cooler - it actually works very well and even at it's loudest, it's not an invasive noise at all. Naysayers are normally not owners in that regard, that can be backed up by almost every single Titan review that referenced the noise output. Still too loud for me though. If I can't hear my Chinchilla fart over my PC's noise output, something needs fixed.

Well there was 1 exception to that which is the VRM's on thee 6970 which are the coolest of any i have come across

Still, i think titan is much more expensive to make than a 290x.
Btw, amd bringing a new card to compete with such an "old" card as titan, that's always the same story, be nvidia or be amd the one trying to catch up.

But why spend so much money on some thing that don't sell as many of. AMD did right and not make a massive GPU to compete with Titan for more than 1 reason.

And i would not call $1k card any kind of great sure the Titans older now but they still after those crazy price's.

Even if the 290x was a few FPS less it's still ( as we know of ) some were like $300 cheaper. AMD ned to do what they always been good at performance v's price as it's a win win in many more cases.

System Name Old Fart / Young Dude
Processor 2500K / 6600K
Motherboard ASRock P67Extreme4 / Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 DDR3
Cooling CM Hyper TX3 / CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 16 GB Kingston HyperX / 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws X
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 1050 Ti / INNO3D RTX 2060
Storage SSD, some WD and lots of Samsungs
Display(s) BenQ GW2470 / LG UHD 43" TV
Case Cooler Master CM690 II Advanced / Thermaltake Core v31
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D1/Denon PMA500AE/Wharfedale D 10.1/ FiiO D03K/ JBL LSR 305
Power Supply Corsair TX650 / Corsair TX650M
Mouse Steelseries Rival 100 / Rival 110
Keyboard Sidewinder/ Steelseries Apex 150
Software Windows 10 / Windows 10 Pro
People should stop comparing Titan with 290x. If AMD can produce a card that's significantly faster than Titan, call it Zeus and slap a price of at least $1000 on it and be able to get away with it, then yes. 290x is just the top card of the R9 series and it competes on performance and price with the top card of the GTX 7** series which is the 780. After all that I gathered it appears that it will indeed be competitive which is the reason AMD is in the business after all. 15 is the day we'll find out how competitive, at least these are the rumors.

andresgriego

I'll add mine then: I read this yesterday, this is a disgustingly useless post that states the obvious and then tops it with repugnance. Why post just to criticize common ACCEPTED human behavior? Huh?

On topic: I think AMD has a secret design just-in-case, which is expensive, low yield, huge die, drop-in replacement and not marketable unless brand pride is on the line. They should have learned their lesson this last round. AMD got burned!

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Software W10
I'll add mine then: I read this yesterday, this is a disgustingly useless post that states the obvious and then tops it with repugnance.

lol.

System Name msdos
Processor 8086
Motherboard mainboard
Cooling passive
Memory 640KB + 384KB extended
Video Card(s) EGA
Storage 5.25"
Display(s) 80x25
Case plastic
Audio Device(s) modchip
Power Supply 45 watts
Mouse serial
Keyboard yes
Software disk commander
Benchmark Scores still running
Day one Titan owner here. I am very curious to see legit 290X benches and less speculative posts, haha. Good times for the high-end enthusiasts in the market next week, hopefully. :cool: I wonder how long the Titan 6GB and 290X 4GB will last performance-wise (ie, how long before they are considered just "mid range".)

tech1234

Those specs are impressive, hope they have sorted out the crossfire issue. Eagerly waiting for this card.