• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Radeon VII & GPU-Z support?

Is the Radeon VII supported yet by GPU-Z?
In particular, there seems to be a problem in certain systems such as with the Intel X299 chipset, of being forced into "CSM enabled" mode when the Radeon VII is installed.
Would like to use GPU-Z to double-check that the "UEFI bios check box" for this card is indeed checked.
Thanks.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
According to the VBIOS info in TPU's Database, the Radeon VII VBIOS doesn't actually support UEFI. That seems like a pretty big oversight on AMD's part to me...

System Name Virtual Reality / Bioinformatics
Processor Undead CPU
Motherboard Undead TUF X99
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory GSkill 128GB DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 1TB + 860 EVO 2TB + WD Black 5TB
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Power Supply Seasonic 850watt
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Keyboard Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue
VR HMD HTC Vive + Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 10 P

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
I am sure I read somewhere on the forums that @W1zzard was working on getting it to work with GPU-Z. I think there was something going on. Hopefully, he can correct me if I'm wrong.

dorsetknob

"YOUR RMA REQUEST IS CON-REFUSED"
Dorset where else eh? >>> Thats ENGLAND<<<
the Radeon VII VBIOS doesn't actually support UEFI.
Great for those that don't have UEFI Bios
Pretty Sure AMD/AIB will introduce UEFI Bios in Revised Production Runs

Are you kidding me? A 2019 GPU that does not support UEFI??

It's likely a reporting error. Every other Vega based product has UEFI, seems like a massive headache to make a card that doesn't. It may have a hybrid UEFI/BIOS for extended compatibility, and the database is just not recognizing it. (Something that AMD did actually offer with the Fury X.)

Processor Undead CPU
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Software Windows 10 P
It's likely a reporting error. Every other Vega based product has UEFI, seems like a massive headache to make a card that doesn't. It may have a hybrid UEFI/BIOS for extended compatibility, and the database is just not recognizing it. (Something that AMD did actually offer with the Fury X.)

It was an optional BIOS with UEFI support for FuryX after the card was released for more than 6 months. I do remember that.

It doesn't appear to be a reporting error. There doesn't seem to be a UEFI GOP image(and/or a compressed EFI ROM containing it) in the BIOS. At least not one that I can find by looking for it assuming the PCIR data structure(which they've always used in the past). There's only one instance of the Device ID in it too. So unless they've omitted that from the UEFI GOP image(which I can't imagine they could/would), it's not likely the UEFI GOP image exists in any form. Weird...

@vailr in case you didn't get the gist of that...unless they've changed things drastically in the manner that they've implemented UEFI GOP support(which AFAIK is not even possible while retaining compatibility)...the card doesn't have a BIOS that supports UEFI GOP(which is also evident by having to use "CSM enabled" mode). In other words...all is working exactly as it should be...given the circumstances. So far as I can tell...

NO UEFI GOP FOR YOU!

Unless...

WARNING! Proceed henceforth in this post with EXTREME CAUTION!

Now. You'd be a fool to try flashing it without a dual BIOS card(or another GPU/IGP to get you into Windows so you can use ATIFlash), and/or a means to flash the BIOS EEPROM via specialized hardware(SPI flasher), if it didn't work. However, I just made a Radeon VII BIOS with UEFI support using the latest Vega compatible AMD GOP version 2.4.0.0.0. I would NOT expect it to work. It might. But just to be clear...DON'T DO IT, DON'T DO IT, DON'T DO IT...I WARNED YOU NOT TO DO IT!!! That being said...the file is attached below for research purposes ONLY! NOT FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION!

Attachments

• Radeon VII UEFI BIOS.zip
    195.4 KB · Views: 262
Last edited:
It doesn't appear to be a reporting error. There doesn't seem to be a UEFI GOP image(and/or a compressed EFI ROM containing it) in the BIOS. At least not one that I can find by looking for it assuming the PCIR data structure(which they've always used in the past). There's only one instance of the Device ID in it too. So unless they've omitted that from the UEFI GOP image(which I can't imagine they could/would), it's not likely the UEFI GOP image exists in any form. Weird...

@vailr in case you didn't get the gist of that...unless they've changed things drastically in the manner that they've implemented UEFI GOP support(which AFAIK is not even possible while retaining compatibility)...the card doesn't have a BIOS that supports UEFI GOP(which is evident by having to use "CSM enabled" mode). In other words...all is working exactly as it should be...given the circumstances. So far as I can tell...

NO UEFI GOP FOR YOU!

What a strange decision by AMD.

It may be that they couldn't for some reason. That's pretty much the only reason I can think of for them not to have. I mean...it was easy enough for me to do it with lordkag's UEFI GOP updater tool. Surely they could have done it just as easily if they wanted to. Unless it's just not possible to make it work ATM.

DSM2

WARNING! Proceed henceforth in this post with EXTREME CAUTION!

Now. You'd be a fool to try flashing it without a dual BIOS card(or another GPU/IGP to get you into Windows so you can use ATIFlash), or a means to flash the BIOS EEPROM via specialized hardware(SPI flasher), if it didn't work. However, I just made a Radeon VII BIOS with UEFI support using the latest Vega compatible AMD GOP version 2.4.0.0.0. I would NOT expect it to work. It might. But just to be clear...DON'T DO IT, DON'T DO IT, DON'T DO IT...I WARNED YOU NOT TO DO IT!!! That being said...the file is attached below for research purposes ONLY! NOT FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION!

Anyone tried it already ?

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches
Software Windows 11 Enterprise (legit), Gentoo Linux x64
A simple way to validate this would be to try to use UEFI secure boot.

IT shouldn't boot without a proper UEFI image IIRC.

Processor Undead CPU
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Software Windows 10 P

On the old FuryX with dual BIOS i actually had to flash BOTH to the UEFI version for secure boot to work. Weird.

Anyone tried it already ?
Not that I know of. Looks like 5 people have downloaded it so far though. I would if I had one to try it on. But I'm setup with all the proper tools to fix it in a matter of minutes if it didn't work. I don't really think it will work either. If it's like previous Vega cards you can't really do a damn thing with the BIOS and get away with it. You can update the AMD UEFI GOP version(or change it to any version 2.0 or later) with previous Vega. But that's pretty much it. In fact...that is it AFAIK. I don't expect Radeon VII to be any different. Or, let me put it another way. You can't remove the UEFI support from, or disable the UEFI support in, a Vega BIOS(technically you can...but it won't boot if you do). So I doubt you can add it to a Radeon VII BIOS(also...you can...but it probably won't boot if you do). I'm thinking the same thing protecting the Vega BIOS from letting that happen, will also be protecting the Radeon VII BIOS from letting that happen. I could be wrong though.
I presume that's already been tried. Hence the need for "CSM enabled" mode. IOW...Secure Boot pitching a fit about not being able to find a UEFI GOP image is the only reason why you'd need to do that(need as in no boot period without disabling SB/enabling CSM mode). You'll just get a black screen during boot until the desktop appears with other UEFI features enabled(but without a VBIOS that supports UEFI GOP).
Well...define "proper"? With AMD cards, even if the Legacy ROM of the Hybrid BIOS has been edited you need a modded UEFI GOP image with a signature check bypass to use SB(or any UEFI GOP features). And even then some cards(and/or card + mobo combos) apparently can't use SB. Though other UEFI GOP features will work(fast boot etc.). My 280X doesn't have that issue on my MSI Z77 mobos. I'm able to use SB(and all the other UEFI GOP features) with an edited Legacy ROM and the modded UEFI GOP image.
On the old FuryX with dual BIOS i actually had to flash BOTH to the UEFI version for secure boot to work. Weird.
Not calling you a liar. But that makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. Only one VBIOS can be read at any given time on a dual/triple BIOS card. One with a switch anyway. Which they all have AFAIK.

Last edited:
Processor Undead CPU
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Software Windows 10 P
Not that I know of. Looks like 5 people have downloaded it so far though. I would if I had one to try it on. But I'm setup with all the proper tools to fix it in a matter of minutes if it didn't work. I don't really think it will work either. If it's like previous Vega cards you can't really do a damn thing with the BIOS and get away with it. You can update the UEFI GOP version(or change it to any version 2.0 or later) with previous Vega. But that's pretty much it. In fact...that is it AFAIK. I don't expect Radeon VII to be any different. Or, let me put it another way. You can't remove the UEFI support from, or disable the UEFI support in, a Vega BIOS. So I doubt you can add it to a Radeon VII BIOS. I'm thinking the same thing protecting the Vega BIOS from letting that happen, will also be protecting the Radeon VII BIOS from letting that happen. I could be wrong though.

I presume that's already been tried. Hence the need for "CSM enabled" mode. IOW...Secure Boot pitching a fit about not being able to find a UEFI GOP image is the only reason why you'd need to do that(need as in no boot period without disabling SB/enabling CSM mode). You'll just get a black screen during boot until the desktop appears with other UEFI features enabled(but without a VBIOS that supports UEFI GOP).

Well...define "proper"? With AMD cards, even if the Legacy ROM of the Hybrid BIOS has been edited you need a modded UEFI GOP image with a signature check bypass to use SB(or any UEFI GOP features). And even then some cards(and/or card + mobo combos) apparently can't use SB. Though other UEFI GOP features will work(fast boot etc.). My 280X doesn't have that issue on my MSI Z77 mobos. I'm able to use SB(and all the other UEFI GOP features) with an edited Legacy ROM and the modded UEFI GOP image.

Not calling you a liar. But that makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. Only one VBIOS can be read at any given time on a dual/triple BIOS card. One with a switch anyway. Which they all have AFAIK.

Just pointing out what I observed. Could actually be anything and most likely due to Windows 10 bugs preventing boot up.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches
Software Windows 11 Enterprise (legit), Gentoo Linux x64
Well...define "proper"?

In that case, essentially it simply means existing and with valid signature. That is afterall, the entire point of secure boot: firmware and boot validation.

System Name RiseZEN Gaming PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ Auto
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming ATX Motherboard
Cooling Corsair H115i Elite Capellix AIO, 280mm Radiator, Dual RGB 140mm ML Series PWM Fans
Memory G.Skill TridentZ 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) ASUS DUAL RX 6700 XT DUAL-RX6700XT-12G
Storage Corsair Force MP500 480GB M.2 & MP510 480GB M.2 - 2 x WD_BLACK 1TB SN850X NVMe 1TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix 34” XG349C 180Hz 1440p + Asus ROG 27" MG278Q 144Hz WQHD 1440p
Case Corsair Obsidian Series 450D Gaming Case
Audio Device(s) SteelSeries 5Hv2 w/ Sound Blaster Z SE
Power Supply Corsair RM750x Power Supply
Mouse Razer Death-Adder + Viper 8K HZ Ambidextrous Gaming Mouse - Ergonomic Left Hand Edition
Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Gaming Keyboard
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64-Bit Edition
Benchmark Scores I'm the Doctor, Doctor Who. The Definition of Gaming is PC Gaming...
I do have to admit this Radeon VII is a mysterious device, that should have had increased numbers over Vega 64, but does not, despite its performance advantage. And now doesn't seem to have UEFI.
Radeon VII Cores = 3840 Why not match Vega 64?? I wonder.
Vega 64 Cores = 4096

I do have to admit this Radeon VII is a mysterious device, that should have had increased numbers over Vega 64, but does not, despite its performance advantage. And now doesn't seem to have UEFI.
Radeon VII Cores = 3840 Why not match Vega 64?? I wonder.
Vega 64 Cores = 4096

Hardware couldn't increase because 64CUs is the absolute limit of GCN in a monolithic die. They could have matched Vega 64 exactly, but then you're asking for even lower yields as nearly perfect fully-functional dies have to be used. There's also the side of power delivery needing to be bolstered, as well as thermal dissipation being even less manageable. Honestly going for fewer, faster CUs makes more sense than brute-forcing the extra hardware and dealing with the extra resources that go along with that.

But that's all off-topic.

System Name RiseZEN Gaming PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ Auto
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming ATX Motherboard
Cooling Corsair H115i Elite Capellix AIO, 280mm Radiator, Dual RGB 140mm ML Series PWM Fans
Memory G.Skill TridentZ 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) ASUS DUAL RX 6700 XT DUAL-RX6700XT-12G
Storage Corsair Force MP500 480GB M.2 & MP510 480GB M.2 - 2 x WD_BLACK 1TB SN850X NVMe 1TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix 34” XG349C 180Hz 1440p + Asus ROG 27" MG278Q 144Hz WQHD 1440p
Case Corsair Obsidian Series 450D Gaming Case
Audio Device(s) SteelSeries 5Hv2 w/ Sound Blaster Z SE
Power Supply Corsair RM750x Power Supply
Mouse Razer Death-Adder + Viper 8K HZ Ambidextrous Gaming Mouse - Ergonomic Left Hand Edition
Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Gaming Keyboard
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64-Bit Edition
Benchmark Scores I'm the Doctor, Doctor Who. The Definition of Gaming is PC Gaming...
Hardware couldn't increase because 64CUs is the absolute limit of GCN in a monolithic die. They could have matched Vega 64 exactly, but then you're asking for even lower yields as nearly perfect fully-functional dies have to be used. There's also the side of power delivery needing to be bolstered, as well as thermal dissipation being even less manageable. Honestly going for fewer, faster CUs makes more sense than brute-forcing the extra hardware and dealing with the extra resources that go along with that.

But that's all off-topic.
Thanks for the great explanation. Makes sense to me now.

Just pointing out what I observed.
And I'll take your word for it. Strange things do happen. That's for sure. But that, specifically, shouldn't ever happen. The switching circuit is designed to enable only one BIOS to be read at a time. It shouldn't be possible for any external firmware(ie motherboard UEFI/BIOS), or any OS software/program/app, to detect if both BIOSes support UEFI(or even to detect there being another BIOS at all, other than the one able to be read at the time).

Last edited:
Processor Undead CPU
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Software Windows 10 P
And I'll take your word for it. Strange things do happen. That's for sure. But that, specifically, shouldn't ever happen. The switching circuit is designed to enable only one BIOS to be read at a time. It shouldn't be possible for any external firmware, or any OS software/program/app, to detect if both BIOSes support UEFI(or even to detect there being another BIOS at all, other than the one able to be read at the time).

As an end user i had little intetiom to dolve something mysteries like that. So flash both BIOS is went.

At least AMD provided UEFI bios back then. I hope they do so again for Radeon 7. Maybe not everyone needs it, but at least it is nice to have.

System Name Bro2
Processor Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Corsair h115i pro rgb
Memory 16GB G.Skill Flare X 3200 CL14 @3800Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor 6900 XT Red Devil 1.1v@2400Mhz
Storage M.2 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500MB/ Samsung 860 Evo 1TB
Display(s) LG 27UD69 UHD / LG 27GN950
Case Fractal Design G
Audio Device(s) Realtec 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic 750W GOLD
Mouse Logitech G402
Keyboard Logitech slim
Software Windows 10 64 bit
Does RVII have dual bios like Vega's do? Somehow I missed that information.

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit