• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Radeon X800 Non-Pro/X800 XL/X850 Voltmods

cubalis

that would be why it isn't working :eek:

Thanks for the help!

I'll come back and report how it went.

cubalis

Well, finally got it to work - 1.5v now.

final stable clocks on the powercolor x800xl vivo:
Core: 475MHz
Memory: 580MHz

Thanks again to everyone!

webbyboy

sorry to be dumb here, i am really totally noob on Vmods, Just wondering for pencil mods, how do we know how much we stroke on the resistors will increase how much voltage? i do not know have a voltmeter, so how am i going to set the voltage that i desired?

webbyboy

I've gotten a multimeter, and i just penciled the two points for the vgpu mod, but when i measure it, the voltage gone down the more i stroke, even i stroke lightly, the voltage stay at 1.40. I don't know what's going on..

daysleeper

Should i use the pencil first on the vgu and vdd,and what igpu does??.When i should use vddq?

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
webbyboy said:
I've gotten a multimeter, and i just penciled the two points for the vgpu mod, but when i measure it, the voltage gone down the more i stroke, even i stroke lightly, the voltage stay at 1.40. I don't know what's going on..

Webbyboy and Daysleeper, Guys read the article here to get a better understanding of the mod. It's on the same chips just in different locations on this series of cards...

Thanks W1zzard ... looks like I need to get in gear ... :)

U

Unregistered

Urlyin said:
Webbyboy and Daysleeper, Guys read the article here to get a better understanding of the mod. It's on the same chips just in different locations on this series of cards...

thanks man....now i have x800 pro@xt vivo,so i know what happens with vgpu and vddr but igpu is new for me...

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
Unregistered said:
thanks man....now i have x800 pro@xt vivo,so i know what happens with vgpu and vddr but igpu is new for me...

Unless your are going to water cool or viperchill then you'll never reach the voltage needed to apply the IGPU... just for those applying high voltages to their GPU ...

daysleeper

jep i got watercooling...so exactly when should i raise the igpu??.or should i consentrate only in vgpu and vccd?

webbyboy

Urlyin said:

Yes i've already read it, but there's no indepth explanation of using the multimeter to measure the voltage, the calculations and the conversion. Care to elaborate more?

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
webbyboy said:
Yes i've already read it, but there's no indepth explanation of using the multimeter to measure the voltage, the calculations and the conversion. Care to elaborate more?

Did you read the "Getting started" & " Pencil time" sections... simple but should get you going.

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
daysleeper said:
jep i got watercooling...so exactly when should i raise the igpu??.or should i consentrate only in vgpu and vccd?

Day... You'll know when to use the IGPU... the card will kick out on you... don't quote me but I think I remember it being around 1.65v on the VGPU vmod ... I'm trying to find time to start and finish the vmod write up... but it's based on the same settings here using the steps under the GPU overvolt protection ...

U

Unregistered

Not getting anywhere with the pincil mod either, voltage isn't moving. My card has no resistor there, and bridging with a pencil seems to do absolutely nothing. I've checked and rechecked with the voltmeter. 1.35 at start, 1.35 still no matter how many swipes I make.

h017ah

I've got some silver varnish with practically no resistance...
Will I achieve better results if I use this instead of a pencil? And is it safe?

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
h017ah said:
I've got some silver varnish with practically no resistance...
Will I achieve better results if I use this instead of a pencil? And is it safe?

no....

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
Unregistered said:
Not getting anywhere with the pincil mod either, voltage isn't moving. My card has no resistor there, and bridging with a pencil seems to do absolutely nothing. I've checked and rechecked with the voltmeter. 1.35 at start, 1.35 still no matter how many swipes I make.

are you checking the resistence before and after you pencil?

Advil

I'm the "unregistered" guy a few posts up. :)

Yes, I measured resistance. Before the pencil, there was no contact between the points. Afterward I could get it around .4? (as in .42 to .46 depending on how many passes) but still no major voltage change. Do I need to reduce resiatance more? And what else can I use besides a pencil? I could put a resistor on it, but I'd like to not physically alter the card.

h017ah said:
No to what?
About safety or about resistance...

U need resitance for the mod, thats the precept how a mod works!

That's not only an direct connection between two points, know what i mean? ;)

Advil

How about a trimmer? I have a handfull of 20k-50k variable trimmers, but I REALLY didn't want to physically alter the card.

Are there any other gurus here who can verify the pencil mod on an X800XL without any resistor at the VGPU?

Also, mine is the RED PCB, CompUSA business purchase from a week ago.

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
Advil said:
How about a trimmer? I have a handfull of 20k-50k variable trimmers, but I REALLY didn't want to physically alter the card.

Are there any other gurus here who can verify the pencil mod on an X800XL without any resistor at the VGPU?

Also, mine is the RED PCB, CompUSA business purchase from a week ago.

Read the article here to get an Idea of how to do the pencil mod... W1zzard updated the pics so make sure you review them again ...

AllBrain

Well I have found the two tech docs for the chips on my non-standard Gecube X800XL PCB. Can someone have a look at them please?

Memory
GPU

Last edited:

daysleeper

well i still don't know that when i pencil vgpu (yep no resistor there) so how i know when i got some pencil in it?.How many ohms should there be?.I'ts much easier when there is a resistor and you can measure that the value has gone down but when there is no resistor.... :eek: