• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Radeon X800 Non-Pro/X800 XL/X850 Voltmods

Slammed94

Urlyin said:
Slam .... the pencil isn't going to work with the VID at least I don't belive it will, doen't mean you can't try it. Like Viper said jumper them with a conductive pen .... the VDD of 2.25 should be fine and the PCI-E cards seem to have the same VDDQ settings as the VDD so 2.25 - 2.28 should also work fine ...

Oh so I dont have to unsolder one of the resistors to open it up? I think I settled on 1.40 on the core and 2.08 on the mem and like 2.15 on the VDDQ.

Its good for 445/546

ViperJohn

Radeon Mod God
Urlyin said:
Set them to their max ... 20k ... read through this article to get some tips link

You do not use trim pots for the VID mod. A trim pot is soldered across R1597 to create an
adjustable voltage divider in the feedback circuit of the regulator for vcore adjustment. A 20K
pot would make it FAR to touchy. A 5k pot will give you about 1.550 Vcore minimum. A 10K is
the highest value that should be used but it will start getting touchy with Vcores from about
1.650 and higher.

Viper

Slammed94

ViperJohn said:
You do not use trim pots for the VID mod. A trim pot is soldered across R1597 to create an
adjustable voltage divider in the feedback circuit of the regulator for vcore adjustment. A 20K
pot would make it FAR to touchy. A 5k pot will give you about 1.550 Vcore minimum. A 10K is
the highest value that should be used but it will start getting touchy with Vcores from about
1.650 and higher.

Viper

Hey John do I have to unsolder a resotor in order to get 1.45? I can get 1.55 but is that too much?

ViperJohn

Radeon Mod God
Unregistered said:
Whats PWA?
I assumed the resistors were used because a zero resistance might take more current than the chip can source/sink and damage it?

If not, then its definatly easyer just to jump it.

To jump it I would still not recommend pen unless you want it to be 100% permenant with no chance of sending it back under warranty...
I will try with conductive copper tape which is sticky on one side, perfect for doing this... and non permanent.. Ill hot-glue over the top as always :)

I think for anyone watercooled that cba with the IGPU mod, it should be good to just stick the GPU at 1.6v. It overvolts on most cards by 0.1-25v anyway.. which is just below what the OCP kicks in at?

PWA = Printed Wire Assembly. It is what you have after the bare PCB is stuffed and reflow soldered.

Resitors are used purely as a matter of manufacturing convenience. You are not really jumping the VID0 to VID4 together. The VID's are pure a logic function and are either logic high (no resistor/connection ) or logic low (connected to ground). You use the chart on page 7 of the FAN5240.pdf datasheet to determine which VID's should or should not have a connection to ground with 1 = logic high or no connection/no resistor and 0 = logic low or grounded/resistor).

Circuit Writer pen is not permanant. It comes right off with denatured alcohol, lacquer thinner or acetone.

The Vcore OverCurrent Shutdown Timer Setpoint mod (R1596), ofter incorrectly refered to as Igpu, has never been needed on any x800/x850 series card.

Viper

Last edited:

ViperJohn

Radeon Mod God
Slammed94 said:
Hey John do I have to unsolder a resotor in order to get 1.45? I can get 1.55 but is that too much?

Off hand I can't tell you. The logic for programming the regulator for 1.450 is

VID0 = 1 / VID1 = 1 / VID2 = 0 / VID3 = 1 / VID4 = 0

where 1 = no connection/resistor and 0 = grounded/or in x850's case a resistor to ground. Note x800 AGP cards are hard traced to ground and you can do the same on cards where resistors are use to make the ground connects.

Resistance in the feedback circuit also effects what the ultimate output voltage from the Vcore power supply will be and that can be higher than what regulator VID's are programmed for.

1.550 Vcore is not to high if you have the core cooling to go along with it.

Viper

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
ViperJohn said:
1.650 and higher.

Viper

Unregistered said:
This may sound like a dumb question.. ;)

But when doing the mod with pots what do I set them to before installation.. ?

Do I test them with my dmm to 0 ohms.. or 20k ?

ViperJohn ... I was answering this message and assumed he is talking about VRs and not the VID mod ... :D The close up pic was incorrect but the overview had 10k and has since been changed in the vmod article... thanks Viper

Last edited:

marcons

ok after a long read and my first experience voltmodding, i soldered the pots, i did vgpu, vdd and vddq on my sapphire x800xl red pcb.

i used a 10kpot for vcore, 2 x 25k for vdd and vddq. 10k pot was set at 10k with my multimeter prior to soldering and the 2 25k set to 20k prior to soldering also.

Stock Volts and resistance:

vgpu 1.36v and using 20K on my dmm, it showed 0.44 which is 440ohms right?
vdd 2.00v and 0.79
vddq 2.09v and 0.76

Voltmodded:

vgpu 1.42v and 0.42 on dmm
vdd 2.08 and 0.76
vddq 2.17 and 0.74

now that its working well ive been checking volts regularly they are pretty solid, how do i increase the voltages do i turn the pots up in resistance while checking the voltages or turn the down, vddq pot at 20k up or 20k and down. pretty n00bish question i know. id like to hit 1.45v vgpu, vddq i can leave it at that, vdd up some more to say 2.12v or so.

any help much appreciated

ViperJohn

Radeon Mod God
Unregistered said:
decreasing the resistance means more voltage can flow.

Will that is true with ohms law that is the not exactly how it works in this case. When you lower
the resistance of the trim pot you are changing the ratio of the voltage divider in the regulator
feedback circuit. Thislowers the voltage present at the regulators feedback pin at a given
Vcore output. The regulator senses this lower feedback voltage and phases the Vcore mosfets
on longer to ramp the the Vcore output up until the voltage present at the feedback pin again
matchs VID's are programmed Vcore output voltage.

Viper

MassiveOverkill

Just did this mod with great/unexpected results. Stock overclock was 459/1100. Bumped Vcore to 1.55 from 1.36 and VDD from 2.45 from 2.02. Overclocked to 471/1116, but my memory was getting too hot for my tastes (ran for two hours like this), so I undid my VDD mod. For kicks I re-overclocked (using ATI-Tool before and after), and my memory went up to 1171 on stock voltage. Only thing I can figure out is that I burned my memory in with the high voltage.

ViperJohn

Radeon Mod God
MassiveOverkill said:
Just did this mod with great/unexpected results. Stock overclock was 459/1100. Bumped Vcore to 1.55 from 1.36 and VDD from 2.45 from 2.02. Overclocked to 471/1116, but my memory was getting too hot for my tastes (ran for two hours like this), so I undid my VDD mod. For kicks I re-overclocked (using ATI-Tool before and after), and my memory went up to 1171 on stock voltage. Only thing I can figure out is that I burned my memory in with the high voltage.

Find you memory OC using 3DM03 Trolls Lair.

Viper

MassiveOverkill

Fee version won't let me choose just that test :( Basically just loop that and look for artifacts though? ATI tool did a pretty good job..........didn't notice any artifacts throughout the entire 3Dmark01,03, and 05 flogging.

FireD

hi, i have a x800xl and i dropped the vgpu from 440 ohm to 405ohm, but its still 1,36v!!?!?
can someone help me?

sry for my baaad english, im from switzerland ;)

Orillian

Anyone using the Asus X800XL?

This Card seems to want to be different.

First off the fan power connector is itsy bitsy, forcing a person to mod their Fan if they go to a silencer or other aftermarket cooling solution.

Second I'm told the RAM on it is Samsung DDR @ 2.0MS.

Third it uses a red PCB.

Forth the default voltages under windows using Everest are:
GPU Core 1.56 V
GPU Vcc 3.28 V
GPU AGP VDDQ 1.45 V
GPU FB VDDQ 2.01 V

These seem off compaired to a lot of the other x800xl's out there.

Fifth, this card has a higher default voltage it seems and a lower default clock speeds. @ 400/490

Lastly, there are a lot of people having problems with this card even at stock settings! Lots of artifacting early and even cards that start to underclock with ATI tool instead of overclock.
Stock temps are in the 50+ range for GPU and 35-40 range for Memory.

I'll have some pics of the board shortly, for anyone interested...just have to get my Digital camera hooked to the comp! :)

Comments?

O.

ViperJohn

Radeon Mod God
Orillian said:
This Card seems to want to be different.

First off the fan power connector is itsy bitsy, forcing a person to mod their Fan if they go to a silencer or other aftermarket cooling solution.

Second I'm told the RAM on it is Samsung DDR @ 2.0MS.

Third it uses a red PCB.

Forth the default voltages under windows using Everest are:
GPU Core 1.56 V
GPU Vcc 3.28 V
GPU AGP VDDQ 1.45 V
GPU FB VDDQ 2.01 V

These seem off compaired to a lot of the other x800xl's out there.

Fifth, this card has a higher default voltage it seems and a lower default clock speeds. @ 400/490

Lastly, there are a lot of people having problems with this card even at stock settings! Lots of artifacting early and even cards that start to underclock with ATI tool instead of overclock.
Stock temps are in the 50+ range for GPU and 35-40 range for Memory.

I'll have some pics of the board shortly, for anyone interested...just have to get my Digital camera hooked to the comp! :)

Comments?

O.

Everest isn't getting those voltages from the x800. There is no provision on the card to provide
that data for remote monitoring. Meter the voltage on card with a DVM if you want to know
what they are.

Viper

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
i think he has an asus card, which can monitor voltages.. these are very inaccurate anyways, so you really should use a dvm

Kramdra

I finnaly got round to vid modding mine.

Set it at 1.6v, and seems to be working ok.

Has anyone noticed the inductors/components around them (top of card near back plate, both sides) are almost too hot to touch? I noticed this at 1.4v. I will keep checking mine to make sure they dont get tooooo hot. Does this area need cooling?

What sort of speeds should I be looking at now?

Temperature is hittting 50°c load, but I intend to replace the waterblock next week with a much better one :)

Orillian

Ya this card comes with a hardware monitoring software package for this kind of thing, but I have to use everest as the software that comes with it hard crashes my PC. I'm still waiting for my DVM to get back into my hands, as soon as that happens I'm going to start doing some mods to see if there is ANYTHING that can be done to get any type of overclock out of this card.

I can't seem to get more then 410/500 on this card. :( Anything over this and I start to get artifacting in games. I'm a little dissapointed, especially since ASUS sends the card along with an overclocking software package. I've tried this with both the silencer AND the stock cooling fan, but both idle at around 50+ degrees and the stock cooler has almost no RAM cooling only partial contact with the ram. I had hoped the Silencer would have helped improve the ram stability, but it has not. I can clock it back up to stock 500 on the ram and that is it! Asus has set the clock to 490 on this card for some reason.

ViperJohn, IF I get some extra cash for a new card soon I might just fire this thing your way and let you fiddle with it. I'm a little surprised ASUS made so many changes to the reference card.

O.

Kramdra

Sapphire X850XTPE (watercooled gpu)

Before vid mod:
Gpu votlage 1.4
Stock speed: 540mhz
Max overclock: ~620mhz

After mod:
Gpu voltage 1.6
Max overclock: between 650-665mhz.
Max gpu temp: 52°c

Quite disapointed, I thought the voltage would do a lot more than 30mhz!

I think I might put it back to 1.4v....any ideas?

This speed is giving me 7182 in 3dm2k5 btw.

U

Unregistered

i can't seem to get the vcore pencil mod to work.... are there any tricks for pencil modding the r1597 slot?

i've got my VDD and VDDQ from 2.01 to 2.10 which i am very pleased with. raised the memory OC on a x800xl from 576 to 615 and running pretty stable.

where can i order some variable resistors?