• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Radeon X800 Voltmods

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
Joe Camel said:
well, that didnt last very long (4 hours)...645 just wasnt good enough, something didnt feel right, so i dropped the mem OC a little and that unlocked...665 :eek: out of the core!

and 7168 in 05, 15,729 in 03, and 37,372 in 01 :D

85,000 in aQuaM? (hehe) try 96,000+ :eek:

EDIT: sorry Urlyin, i tend to edit my posts...a lot :rolleyes:

:eek: LOL now that puppy is smoooookin! haha :D AMD64 I would guess ... but look at the GPU 1424 !! yeah ... in reach ... hehe .... didn't just touch the rim it smacked the top of the back board ... :D

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
jiggaman2576 said:
I've been following this forum for a while and I did the VR MOD on the VGPU, VDD and VDDQ. My card is a retail x800 xt pt by ati. I see you guys getting these crazy high 3dmarks in 05 yet with my card OC'd I hardly see any increase at all. I have a P4 2.4 running at 3.3 with a 276 FSB 1:1 with the memory, which I thought was pretty good. My core at 630 and mem at 590 I only get around 6300 3Dmarks which is what I was getting at 573/573 before the mods. What gives?! Also, my card is watercooled and maxes at about 38C, what would the be max safe voltage for the core? I have OCZ ramsinks on the ram and it does get pretty toasty, I have it at 2.15 and the VDDQ at 2.20. I can run the ram now at around 600 or 610 (I think) but have to test more. Something that is happening is I do a 3Dmark and in the forest benchmark the screen just goes blank and I have to restart my PC. I get no artifacts before that, it just dies. Is my voltage possibly suffering the droop as I've seen others post about? I also have the OCZ 520 PSU but I haven't cranked my 5V line up yet, it is about 5 right now though. Thanks for the help guys, this thread has helped me a ton!

Jigg it's a combination of things that results in those high scores... What's the Vcore at now?
If you read the article it does mention not to get caught up in what someone else is scoring ... good way to toast your card .... what are you running the memory at 1:1 or 5:4 ? What does it score in Sandra memtest ? CPU arthmatic ? Some of those synethedic benchmarks will help us tell where some of the bottle necks are ... it may not be the card but a 6300 isn't that bad ...

Last edited:
J

Jiggaman2576

I know I will never reach the speeds of these AMD 64 speed guys, that is until I get one for myself! My current memory is 276 FSB 1:1 with the CPU and I get a bandwidth of 6200 MB/s in Sisoft. My CPU performs like a 3.4 P4 according to Sisoft. The problem that I am trying to convay is, I have overclocked my video card quite high compared to stock, and my scores are EXACTLY the same as they were without any overclocking. I'm sure all of you are not overclocking your cards just because, and the reason I'm doing it was for better fps in games, which I am also not seeing. I play all my games at 16X12 with 16XAF and 2X-4X AA which I am sure would benifit from having an overclocked card, yet I dont see any of those kinds of gains. I am guessing that something in windows is holding me back, a bad registry setting or something. I've gone through a services tweak that I found on the web recently, and basically everything that is not required for my system to run is turned off, I have almost nothing running in the background while testing. Now here is one thing that I haven't tried yet but thought it shouldn't matter much anyway. I have a video capture card that is using the same IRQ as my X800, could this indeed be limiting the throughput of my system? I hardly use the capture card as I have switched to sat tv and dont have a tuner by my computer, now I just play xbox on it at lan parties and even that is few and far between. Other things I haven't tried would be going back to previous drivers. Also, my buddy of mine gets 150fps + looking at the sky in HL2, yes I know that's not a big deal because there isn't anything to render, but when I look at the sky with mine it caps it at 84 and will never go above it. Is this something wrong with the game or drivers or what?! Thanks again guys, and if I need to give you anymore info let me know.

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
Jiggaman2576 said:
I know I will never reach the speeds of these AMD 64 speed guys, that is until I get one for myself! My current memory is 276 FSB 1:1 with the CPU and I get a bandwidth of 6200 MB/s in Sisoft. My CPU performs like a 3.4 P4 according to Sisoft. The problem that I am trying to convay is, I have overclocked my video card quite high compared to stock, and my scores are EXACTLY the same as they were without any overclocking. I'm sure all of you are not overclocking your cards just because, and the reason I'm doing it was for better fps in games, which I am also not seeing. I play all my games at 16X12 with 16XAF and 2X-4X AA which I am sure would benifit from having an overclocked card, yet I dont see any of those kinds of gains. I am guessing that something in windows is holding me back, a bad registry setting or something. I've gone through a services tweak that I found on the web recently, and basically everything that is not required for my system to run is turned off, I have almost nothing running in the background while testing. Now here is one thing that I haven't tried yet but thought it shouldn't matter much anyway. I have a video capture card that is using the same IRQ as my X800, could this indeed be limiting the throughput of my system? I hardly use the capture card as I have switched to sat tv and dont have a tuner by my computer, now I just play xbox on it at lan parties and even that is few and far between. Other things I haven't tried would be going back to previous drivers. Also, my buddy of mine gets 150fps + looking at the sky in HL2, yes I know that's not a big deal because there isn't anything to render, but when I look at the sky with mine it caps it at 84 and will never go above it. Is this something wrong with the game or drivers or what?! Thanks again guys, and if I need to give you anymore info let me know.

Jigg ... is your buddy using the same settings as you, is he running close to the same setup? ... 1600x1200 16af 4xaa on Halflife2 is on the edge... I'd pull the other card and try to clean out the drivers with driverclean3 or something like it. I haven't tried the 4.12 cats yet but thought the 4.11 did well... 20mhz more isn't going to buy you much as far as FBS go... are you running a stock HSF on the video card? Use ATItool to max out the fan to 100% If you get lock ups it because the oc is to high ... we can work on it ... anyone else have any suggestions? I'm sure Jigg would welcome them ...

J

Jiggaman2576

The video card is watercooled, never goes about 40C and idles at about 29-30C. My buddy and I are indeed running the same cards with same settings, even the same bios. I did a driver clean lastnight, and we aren't talking 20 mhz, we are talking from stock to 630 which is 110 mhz on the core, and 20-30 on the memory. The other thing is he is running an AMD 2500+ not the 64 bit but the older ones. He is overclocked on that also, and both have watercooled CPU's. My FSB is about 56 mhz faster, and my memory bandwidth is about double what his is. My system in all respects is faster then his, and his beats mine in benches and in real world gaming. I also have a new problem which may have already been answered in this forum. I have my Core voltage at 1.7 not 1.75 as I had stated earlier. When I run 3dmark 05 or anything 3d for that matter, I can watch the voltage drop down to 1.64, and at a certain point it drops to 0, the monitor goes black, and I have to completely power off and then back on again for the card to come back. I'm assuming that the overvolting is the problem and I may have to tweak mine. I have the OCZ 520 powerstream and my 5V rail is at 5.24 according to mbm, I am going to raise it to 5.5 tonight and test again as I saw someone else did that and it fixed his problem. I just want to know, what else could it be? Also like to add, when I have the memory at 610 my benches, before it shuts down that is, seem to be a few fps higher then they were before, so my core was probably just choking for data from the memory as viper john had pointed out, so now I just have to get it so it doesn't shut down and I'll be happy. Oh yeah, ATI tool gets to 666 on the core before it freezes the system, would running at 645 or 650 be a safe bet below what atitool can reach? Thanks again Urlyin.

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
Jiggaman2576 said:
The video card is watercooled, never goes about 40C and idles at about 29-30C. My buddy and I are indeed running the same cards with same settings, even the same bios. I did a driver clean lastnight, and we aren't talking 20 mhz, we are talking from stock to 630 which is 110 mhz on the core, and 20-30 on the memory. The other thing is he is running an AMD 2500+ not the 64 bit but the older ones. He is overclocked on that also, and both have watercooled CPU's. My FSB is about 56 mhz faster, and my memory bandwidth is about double what his is. My system in all respects is faster then his, and his beats mine in benches and in real world gaming. I also have a new problem which may have already been answered in this forum. I have my Core voltage at 1.7 not 1.75 as I had stated earlier. When I run 3dmark 05 or anything 3d for that matter, I can watch the voltage drop down to 1.64, and at a certain point it drops to 0, the monitor goes black, and I have to completely power off and then back on again for the card to come back. I'm assuming that the overvolting is the problem and I may have to tweak mine. I have the OCZ 520 powerstream and my 5V rail is at 5.24 according to mbm, I am going to raise it to 5.5 tonight and test again as I saw someone else did that and it fixed his problem. I just want to know, what else could it be? Also like to add, when I have the memory at 610 my benches, before it shuts down that is, seem to be a few fps higher then they were before, so my core was probably just choking for data from the memory as viper john had pointed out, so now I just have to get it so it doesn't shut down and I'll be happy. Oh yeah, ATI tool gets to 666 on the core before it freezes the system, would running at 645 or 650 be a safe bet below what atitool can reach? Thanks again Urlyin.

I'm trying to read your post at work and just kinda skip threw them ... but you're doing well on your own. First I have nothing but respect for ViperJohn and W1zzard. But you hit the nail on the head when you said 1.70 and it blacks out... you haven't done the IGPU mod or Overvoltage protection mod yet ? .... John has pointed out to me the importance of memory when OCing as well ... Don't base your oc on ATItool only... I thought ATITool would be lower than what I could actually run games at... so do a combination of benchmarks, I use Benchem All to run Frycry, 3dmark03, 3dmark01 one right after another twice on it bench. A good way to test the CPU oc as well... if you have a dialog open with ViperJohn continue to heed his advise ... busy guy... But the 20mhz came from the 570/570 to 600mhz you stated so again I must not have read the post entirely ... But as you know every card oc's differently and I'm looking at the oc Joe Camel has and his GPU is at 1.57v and his is hitting 645mhz or more. I was hitting 600mhz at 1.50v ... Before you crank up the juice on the PSU, you might want to try dropping the volts on the GPU from 1.70 to 1.60 - 1.65 ... at those volts you should still be able to hit 640mhz on the core.

Anytime Jigg ... hope this is helping you work things out :D

Edit ... you have the Overvolt protection and need to tweak it ... what size VR did you use?

Last edited:
J

Jiggaman2576

I didn't do the overvolt protection as I thought that wouldn't kick in until like 1.8 or so. I can have it added though, and what size VR would I need? I used the recommended sizes that were in the guide at the beginning of this thread and they have worked wonderfully. I'll take the core voltage down to 1.65 tonight. Also, is it a big deal to see it go from 1.7V down to 1.64 while benchmarking? I'm guessing that is normal but maybe I just am having some droop from my molex connector. I did not use the supplied VGA from the OCZ PSU mainly because I dont know if I can get it to reach, maybe that would be another thing for me to try tonight if I can get it to reach. I should post a picture or 2 of my system, it's a server minicube with all the drives and PSU on one side and all the watercooling and boards and stuff on the other, so cable lengths can be a bit of a problem sometimes for me. I'll try to post back some results tonight or tomorrow if I can.

PS: If you want to talk to me directly my AIM SN is the same as the name I have been using on this thread.

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
Jiggaman2576 said:
I didn't do the overvolt protection as I thought that wouldn't kick in until like 1.8 or so. I can have it added though, and what size VR would I need? I used the recommended sizes that were in the guide at the beginning of this thread and they have worked wonderfully. I'll take the core voltage down to 1.65 tonight. Also, is it a big deal to see it go from 1.7V down to 1.64 while benchmarking? I'm guessing that is normal but maybe I just am having some droop from my molex connector. I did not use the supplied VGA from the OCZ PSU mainly because I dont know if I can get it to reach, maybe that would be another thing for me to try tonight if I can get it to reach. I should post a picture or 2 of my system, it's a server minicube with all the drives and PSU on one side and all the watercooling and boards and stuff on the other, so cable lengths can be a bit of a problem sometimes for me. I'll try to post back some results tonight or tomorrow if I can.

PS: If you want to talk to me directly my AIM SN is the same as the name I have been using on this thread.

I hear different numbers on where the OCP kicks in. But your card is displaying those symptoms. The VR shown by W1zzard is a 250k VR. I know one member says he upped the 5v rail but I shot off an email to ViperJohn and he mentioned that lowering the 5v rail has helped in the droop that you are seeing in some cases. He mentions that a normal loaded Vcore droop is anywhere from .010 to .030 volts. So you're dropping .03 below normal droops given that's for default voltage settings. He explains the principals and basically the card tries to compensate and limits the current to the GPU.

Joe Camel

these are the words that "guided" me to the Vcore i stopped @ :cool: :

...ViperJohn.... Since then I have developed a Vcore Droop mod as well to keep the cards active
droop circuit from turning into an active current limiter when the core loads up with Vcore over
about 1.580 volts at the desktop.

ive been in contact with him for few months now (till i could get my hands on a "reasonably" priced card)

i DO plan on having him hard mod this card, but just HAD to try this out :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
Joe Camel said:
these are the words that "guided" me to the Vcore i stopped @ :cool: :

ive been in contact with him for few months now (till i could get my hands on a "reasonably" priced card)

i DO plan on having him hard mod this card, but just HAD to try this out :rolleyes:

He tells you like it is and them some ... Great Guy who has probably helped a many a modder... I can speak from experience... I should be getting a card back from him shortly... to bad he doesn't make case badges ... hehe ... he does know his ATI cards... not afraid to say he makes me look like a rookie... W1zzard is another one to get to know ... both willing to help :D

Joe Camel

so do pencil mods degrade? (no, i havent moved/removed the electrical tape i placed over the mod points)

since benching @ those WONDERFUL speeds, i now can not even run a screen saver @ > 660/600... :(

658/585 is about where i can bench now... :confused:

adt

Hi everybody :)

Personally, I have never done any hard-mods before, though I have done the Pro VIVO @ XT PE, and I am running speeds of 540/580 artifacs-free (I can bench at 620 on mem, but with artifacs) Anything above these speeds, there is artifacts, and the machine freezes... Because I have, as mentioned, never done a hard-mod, I wondered if it was possible if anyone could perhaps take some pictures while actually doing it, and even better, filming it... I have all the equiptment needed, I think. I am a bit cunfused regarding the guide though, what on earth is a VR? and what is it good for? do I have do have them?

I am from Norway, so I am not too familiar with all of the expressions and such, please excuse my bad english too :)

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
Joe Camel said:
so do pencil mods degrade? (no, i havent moved/removed the electrical tape i placed over the mod points)

since benching @ those WONDERFUL speeds, i now can not even run a screen saver @ > 660/600... :(

658/585 is about where i can bench now... :confused:

Have you checked the voltages to see if they have changed?

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
adt said:
Hi everybody :)

Personally, I have never done any hard-mods before, though I have done the Pro VIVO @ XT PE, and I am running speeds of 540/580 artifacs-free (I can bench at 620 on mem, but with artifacs) Anything above these speeds, there is artifacts, and the machine freezes... Because I have, as mentioned, never done a hard-mod, I wondered if it was possible if anyone could perhaps take some pictures while actually doing it, and even better, filming it... I have all the equiptment needed, I think. I am a bit cunfused regarding the guide though, what on earth is a VR? and what is it good for? do I have do have them?

I am from Norway, so I am not too familiar with all of the expressions and such, please excuse my bad english too :)

The VR (Varible resistor or trim pot) section isn't complete yet... if you need to ask what a VR is then you may want to contact someone who can mod the card for you, there is a name in the article. You can try the pencil mod...

adt

Well, its not really possible for me to send my card to anyone, but if the VR stuff has nothing to do with the pencil mod, then it doesn't really matter :) How about the voltages with the pencil mod, will I be able to give the core 1,7 volts?

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
adt said:
Well, its not really possible for me to send my card to anyone, but if the VR stuff has nothing to do with the pencil mod, then it doesn't really matter :) How about the voltages with the pencil mod, will I be able to give the core 1,7 volts?

It does matter and it would be hard to get the card to 1.7 with the pencil mod ... the pencil mod is okay for low to medium overvolt but not 1.7v ....

adt

OK, then I guess I did understand the instructions... And because I don't even have a general idea when it comes to electronics, I think the pencil mod is more than enough for me... But will it make any difference, and is it easy to remove all traces If I regret I ever did the mod?

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
adt said:
OK, then I guess I did understand the instructions... And because I don't even have a general idea when it comes to electronics, I think the pencil mod is more than enough for me... But will it make any difference, and is it easy to remove all traces If I regret I ever did the mod?

adt... it's fairly easy to do and yes it works. Read the article and follow the instructions. You can remove the traces and if you have a question I'm sure someone will help you :)

adt

Cool, well, I guess I can give it ago when I get my new MB and processor (MSI K8N NEO2 Platinum and 3200+ "winchester") :)

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
adt said:
Cool, well, I guess I can give it ago when I get my new MB and processor (MSI K8N NEO2 Platinum and 3200+ "winchester") :)

Good for you :) more toys ... let us know how you make out ...

rlhc17

to all Vmod guru,
do i still need to do the Igpu & Vddq mod with a Vgpu of 1.6v (after pencil mod on r1597) ?
i have no plan to do the Vmemory now which is 580 stable

thkx

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
rlhc17 said:
to all Vmod guru,
do i still need to do the Igpu & Vddq mod with a Vgpu of 1.6v (after pencil mod on r1597) ?
i have no plan to do the Vmemory now which is 580 stable

thkx

No, you do not need to do either...

rlhc17

Urlyin said:
No, you do not need to do either...

do u think that it is better to do some vddq mod to stablize both Vcore & Vmemory voltage ?

:confused:

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
rlhc17 said:
do u think that it is better to do some vddq mod to stablize both Vcore & Vmemory voltage ?

:confused:

You really only need to do the VDDQ if you are doing VDD ....