• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Radeon X800 Voltmods

Rammsteiner

Processor AMD Phenom X4 9850BE (DENEB, where art thou!?)
Motherboard DFI Lanparty UT 790FX-M2R (waiting on 790FX/SB750)
Cooling TRUE
Memory 4x 1GB Transcend AxeRAM DDR1066 'D9GMH'
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD 4870X2
Storage 2x WD 74GB Raptor + 3Ware 9650SE @ RAID 0
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster 245B
Case Silverstone TJ-10
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS
Power Supply PP&C Quad Silencer 750W
Hello,
Im new to this site, I was watching the mods whole the time lol. And after long thinking I decided to do it. Got my Vcore upto 1,45, VDD 2,12 and VDDQ 2,22(maybe the VDDQ should be a little lower?).

I screwed my case open, build a stupid frame of LEGO(its finally good for something lmao) and laid two fans in it. With a pretty 'hot' room(20/25 degrees), case open, and these two fans it wont go over the 65 degrees at 540MHz. I did the Pipelines mod(with BIOS, have a ViVo) so I know I dont should expect much more from core, its running also at 555Mhz, but the problem now is the memory....

As you guys can see some lines above, the Volts are pretty 'normal'(ok, can go higher lol), the degrees are pretty low but I just cant get my memory without artifacts at 600Mhz...!?

Should i do the IGPU and higher the VGPU? Or sometihing else? Right now its pretty cold in my room(10 degrees), window open, case open, all fans busy, my memory isnt getting much hotter than 20 degrees... What do you guys think to do? Ill do a 'mod project' in a few months, so watercooling will be there too probably, but my card is already pretty good cooled...

Thx in advance

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
Ram,

Lower the VDDQ to around 2.18v and raise the VDD to 2.15v. Sometimes it's just the card... do you have ramsinks on the mem? You can take the Vcore up a tad to 1.48v to 1.50v until you get some other cooling options...

Rammsteiner

Cooling TRUE
Case Silverstone TJ-10
Hello, thx for your reply.

I dont have any RAMsinks on the memory yet. Ive ordered with a friend of mine two Zalman VF700Cu's(he one, I one). But hes sick at the moment(as ussual, lots of tests onm school lmao). But anyway, Ill go to him soon to get the cooler. I heard much positve things about it.

Nut hte memory isnt anyway getting hotter than 20/25 degrees at the moment(as said before, its kinda cold in my room). But Ill try to upper the VDD and lower the VDDQ... OMG, I really hate it when you added just a bit too much graphite... lol

Thx, Ill post the results

Bob

PS: Im dutch, so please dont care about my English lol

Rammsteiner

Cooling TRUE
Case Silverstone TJ-10
Hello,

I did what you said, but didnt matter... I even added 2,2V's to the VDD!!!(and VDDQ 2,22V, I think VDDQ is something the same as IGPU is for the VGPU?). Well, anyway, after getting set up, thinking to just give it the full 2,45V's(what needs active + passive I read, but I always never listen when it isnt working lol) I took the other way, a for me smarter way...

Normal, didnt maater how much VDD and VDDQ, my memory at 600Mhz began artifacting within a minute(if I wa slucky, normally after 10 seconds). So the smarter way was to get the VDD and VDDQ mods away, to yel to them and added(what you said) 1,52V's to my Vcore... And guess what!?!?!? Its running the core on stock and the mem on 600Mhz already without artifacting for 10 minutes... :confused:

So, Im reall confused about this... Why is the VDD and VDDQ mod needed then!? And can someone give me a reason why the VDD and VDDQ mods didnt worked and the Vcore was enough???

But anyway, thx for your help :D

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
Rammsteiner said:
Hello,

I did what you said, but didnt matter... I even added 2,2V's to the VDD!!!(and VDDQ 2,22V, I think VDDQ is something the same as IGPU is for the VGPU?). Well, anyway, after getting set up, thinking to just give it the full 2,45V's(what needs active + passive I read, but I always never listen when it isnt working lol) I took the other way, a for me smarter way...

Normal, didnt maater how much VDD and VDDQ, my memory at 600Mhz began artifacting within a minute(if I wa slucky, normally after 10 seconds). So the smarter way was to get the VDD and VDDQ mods away, to yel to them and added(what you said) 1,52V's to my Vcore... And guess what!?!?!? Its running the core on stock and the mem on 600Mhz already without artifacting for 10 minutes... :confused:

So, Im reall confused about this... Why is the VDD and VDDQ mod needed then!? And can someone give me a reason why the VDD and VDDQ mods didnt worked and the Vcore was enough???

But anyway, thx for your help :D

Ram ... every card OCs differently some the core ocs well but not the memory or visa versa. The VDD is for the memory and VDDQ is for the voltage to the memory Buffers. If you just did the .08v to the mem and the .08v to the VDDQ it should have put you around 2.08v for the mem and 2.16v for VDDQ. It's worked for me on several cards some up 600mhz and one or so it didn't help. Some cards like it some don't and in your case you said it wouldn't before the mod at stock then after the mod it worked stock is that correct? Did you change the BIOS? in some of the BIOS the memory has a less aggressive memory timing which may have been what happened to you. In any case some of it is trail and error to find what works best for your card. Remember to take your time and don't over do it... you can get an nice oc even with the pencil mod ... :D

Rammsteiner

Cooling TRUE
Case Silverstone TJ-10
NOOOO...

I dont know what happened, but my screen was gone out, I thought, strange, maybe the IGPU? When I was in my case I smelled the smell of PCB :mad: :( ... Man, this is bad... It wouldnt start up anymore with the VGA in it. So I thought(maybe too late) after two hours, maybe Ive to lay it in the freezer. It was in the freezer for 10/11 hours. I made it dry(iof condence) and set it in the PC again, but still nothing. Ive a EP-8KDA3+ motherboard with a P80P statusLED(postcodes). I only dont kmnow what BIOS i have, but the LED says 25 when Im starting up with the VGA. When I 'studied' the card a bit I noticed some 'burn' spots on a place I was kinda surprised, by the MOLEX connector!?!?!? It was kinda smelly with the VGPU transistor, but I couldnt see anything strange(I know how a 'burned' transistor looks like, destroyed a 10Ohm transistor on school with 12V's lol). But anyway, the burnspots are around the MOLEX connector...

1. What does the transistors have to deal with the MOLEX connector?
2. What actually did happened?
3. Is it my fault that my car dis destroyed now or is it destroyed by the PSU?(Ive the Antec True Control 550Watt, I didnt modded my PSU by making it more V's, onmly with the controller, but that isnt really a mod/dangerous or whatever)...

So what do Ive to do now? Is my card really destroyed now?(which i dont hope because my parents dont allow me to buy a new one :( ). And as asked before, was it myfault or is it something else? And what should I do now?(what should you do if it happened?). If it was a transistor I dont think its a very big problem because a friend of my is good with soldering, so he can set another transistor on it, but the burnspots were by the MOLEX connector...)

Please help me out!

Thx in advance,

Bob

U

Unregistered

Is it possible to perform this pencil mod on a ASUS X/800 XT PCI-E card?

I have looked extensivley for the R1597 resistor but my card has the R1598, 1596, and 1590, among many others too. I can't seem to locate the right resistor as this ASUS card is a bit different than stock
'made by ATi" exact cards. (ASUS did their own thing I guess)

If someone could just tell me all the resistors I need and a gerneral idea of where they might be it would really help me.

Stock the card does 564 core, and 540 ram. I want 610 core, 600 ram.

Thx for anyone's help. Sorry about not registering yet, have not got around to it but plan on it.

U

Unregistered

Ok I found where it is but it is not like in the pictures. Bassically (sure there is a technical term for it) all that is in the spot of the R1597 cap. is 2 metal squares, sparated about a half mm apart. Still taking up the same space. I tried to pencil these in but it did not work. I also found the other connectos and the ram mataches fine. I am gona give it another go later tommarow but it would be nice if someone knew that mabbe the R1597 is not what i need to fill in, its instead the R1592 or something.

O I got the volt meter but am not sure where to test for voltages on this card...again not the same as the guide on page 1. This would help too.

O and sorry about the double post it would not let me EDIT b/c I am not a registered user or something like that. (some enter username thing)

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
Unregistered said:
Ok I found where it is but it is not like in the pictures. Bassically (sure there is a technical term for it) all that is in the spot of the R1597 cap. is 2 metal squares, sparated about a half mm apart. Still taking up the same space. I tried to pencil these in but it did not work. I also found the other connectos and the ram mataches fine. I am gona give it another go later tommarow but it would be nice if someone knew that mabbe the R1597 is not what i need to fill in, its instead the R1592 or something.

O I got the volt meter but am not sure where to test for voltages on this card...again not the same as the guide on page 1. This would help too.

O and sorry about the double post it would not let me EDIT b/c I am not a registered user or something like that. (some enter username thing)

Look here should be what you're looking for ...

U

Unregistered

good mods need to know a thing or two..

hi every one i have a x800pro watercooled buy waterchill and have a gpu temp of around 28-34 degees, underload running at 550 . i want to do this mod i will be doing it pencil way. can anyone tell me what kind of gpu speed i may go to.....also has any that live in uk found the resistors needed to do the job... have tryed lots of shops <eg> maplins......
many many thanks to all you boys who figger this s++t out......ohh sorry im using ray adams tray tools....thanks

dixsey

Hi urylin i did the pencil mod on my msi x800xt pe i did the vgpu mod and the vddq mod, i did,nt do the vdd mod because i,ve no cooling on my memory i have a coolviva cooler with heat pipe i upped my core from 1.39 to 1.51 and my vddq from 2.08 to 2.16 and i can now oc my core to 575mhz before the mod i could only go to 526mhz but when i run any benchmarks i see no improvement in score over the lower clock speed.I,ve run 3d mark 01,03 and 05 with no improvement in any of them,any help would be greatley appreciated.Thanks in advance.

dixsey

Urlyin said:
Did you go to high ? do the vmem first, just go up to 2.08 and test the card... my memory didn't really take off until I did the VDDQ ...
Hi urylin i,m a newbie to all this but i followed your instructions above for the vmods on my x800xt,excellent stuff i was able to do the vcore,vddq and the mem vmod and they all worked but i,m still only able to clock my core to 550mhz and mem to 570mhz(from default of 520/560) my voltages are as follow,s, core from 1.39v to 1.51v, mem from 2.00v to 2.11v and vddq from 2.08v to 2.15v i also installed a coolermaster coolviva vga cooler to my card, are these clocks about right for the new voltages i,m running with,also the benchmark score,s have,nt improved that much.Any help would be much appreciated thanks in advance.

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
dixsey said:
Hi urylin i,m a newbie to all this but i followed your instructions above for the vmods on my x800xt,excellent stuff i was able to do the vcore,vddq and the mem vmod and they all worked but i,m still only able to clock my core to 550mhz and mem to 570mhz(from default of 520/560) my voltages are as follow,s, core from 1.39v to 1.51v, mem from 2.00v to 2.11v and vddq from 2.08v to 2.15v i also installed a coolermaster coolviva vga cooler to my card, are these clocks about right for the new voltages i,m running with,also the benchmark score,s have,nt improved that much.Any help would be much appreciated thanks in advance.

Dixsey.. each card will react deferrently to a rise in voltage. Some take off and some just so so. What type of system is it running on, it could be that is the bottleneck.

dixsey

Urlyin said:
Dixsey.. each card will react deferrently to a rise in voltage. Some take off and some just so so. What type of system is it running on, it could be that is the bottleneck.
I,ve a dell 4600 with a p4 3.06ghz ht,1.5gig 333mhz ram the overclocked x800xt pe and a 400w psu,Thanks for the help.

Rammsteiner

Cooling TRUE
Case Silverstone TJ-10
Hey Urlyin, Ive a new card :D , and that one also enables 16 pipelines. But now Ive a strang eproblem here. I did the mod again(only Vcore) from 419Ohm to 394Ohm, so thats pretty good. My core went from 475Mhz to 550Mhz(with the 16 pipelines). Its AROUND 1,48V. Ive also the new Zalman cooler(VF700Cu with RAM heat sinks). So should I try some higher voltages like 1,55V to 1,6V? But the problem is that I see some strange blue things(looks like artifacts) in the sky with the first test in 3DMark2001se. I first thought it was maybe a bug, but I ran 3DMark2005FE and the first test had them also... My memory was running at 600Mhz, and I had for an hour(after that I just stoppped) NO artifacts, but in the 3DMarks I have. When I lower the MHz for the memory to 560Mhz its doing allright. But what should I do now? doing also the VDDQ and VDD mod? I would like to do as less as possible mods on my VGA to prevent it from frying again lmao. Is the VDDQ mod needed?

Thx in advance

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
Rammsteiner said:
Hey Urlyin, Ive a new card :D , and that one also enables 16 pipelines. But now Ive a strang eproblem here. I did the mod again(only Vcore) from 419Ohm to 394Ohm, so thats pretty good. My core went from 475Mhz to 550Mhz(with the 16 pipelines). Its AROUND 1,48V. Ive also the new Zalman cooler(VF700Cu with RAM heat sinks). So should I try some higher voltages like 1,55V to 1,6V? But the problem is that I see some strange blue things(looks like artifacts) in the sky with the first test in 3DMark2001se. I first thought it was maybe a bug, but I ran 3DMark2005FE and the first test had them also... My memory was running at 600Mhz, and I had for an hour(after that I just stoppped) NO artifacts, but in the 3DMarks I have. When I lower the MHz for the memory to 560Mhz its doing allright. But what should I do now? doing also the VDDQ and VDD mod? I would like to do as less as possible mods on my VGA to prevent it from frying again lmao. Is the VDDQ mod needed?

Thx in advance

Good to hear Ramm :D ... I'd go with what you have right now and just play. Remember you weren't really sure what killed the last one. We didn't totally rule out the PSU, take it slow. Run the card to make sure the new one is fine ...

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
dixsey said:
I,ve a dell 4600 with a p4 3.06ghz ht,1.5gig 333mhz ram the overclocked x800xt pe and a 400w psu,Thanks for the help.

Dixsey... isn't that 3.06 running at 800mhz? If so the PC2700 mem is slowing you down some... and if you're runniing mixed sizes it'll cause issues as well, run either 2@256 or 2@512, unless of course you're running the mem at 5:4 instead of 1:1 ... try to bump up to 1.56v -1.58v on the VGPU and game from there to see where your at ...

Rammsteiner

Cooling TRUE
Case Silverstone TJ-10
Urlyin said:
Good to hear Ramm :D ... I'd go with what you have right now and just play. Remember you weren't really sure what killed the last one. We didn't totally rule out the PSU, take it slow. Run the card to make sure the new one is fine ...
LOl, thats true :D thx for everything :) . Though I want to do some Vmods soon lol, I want to try 600/600, do you know what Voltages I probably need for that? Thx in advance

dixsey

Urlyin said:
Dixsey... isn't that 3.06 running at 800mhz? If so the PC2700 mem is slowing you down some... and if you're runniing mixed sizes it'll cause issues as well, run either 2@256 or 2@512, unless of course you're running the mem at 5:4 instead of 1:1 ... try to bump up to 1.56v -1.58v on the VGPU and game from there to see where your at ...
No its only running at 533mhz not sure what you mean about the ram but i,ve 2x512mb in slot 1 and 3 and 2x256mb in slot 2 and 4, i,ll raise the voltage on the vgpu, thanks.

Rammsteiner

Cooling TRUE
Case Silverstone TJ-10
Could someone pleeaaase answer that 3DMark question of a few posts back? Thx, I really want to know what with that because my memory HAVE to run at least 600Mhz guaranteed!? Its both sides 1,6ns... I dont get it, Ill also rise my Vcore to 1,6V I think.... Ive a Zalman VF700Cu, that would work fine lolol

Rammsteiner

Cooling TRUE
Case Silverstone TJ-10
? OK, Im getting so frickin mad!? I did the mods, my Vcore to 1,55V, its running fine between 550 and 560Mhz, better OC than my previous card :D Thats fine. BUT I WANT AT LEAST MY MEMORY AT 600MHz! VDD is like 2,06V and VDDQ 2,19V. But something is strange going on here. I ran Atitool 1,5 hours(this time the 23.0 because I thought that the 24.1 beta has a little bug, sorry for that, but it hasnt one. Great job W1zzard :D )!!! at 550/600. NO ERRORS! I want to bench it still shows me the same bluey thingies in the sky. I thought maybe its because the new drivers. So I thougt maybe the drivers are already patched, so I download....I discover that I didnt have the new drivers :confused: ... well, peeps make faults so I reinstalled every thing thats dealing with Ati. So a clean new driver setup. Everything ok. I start up 3DMark2001se again and still those mf blue things... :mad: . WHATS GOING ON HERE!? Should I just say f-u to the 3DMarks and ignore it? I noticed the bluey things are exactly the same in both 3DMark2001se and 3DMark2005FE... Thats pretty strange... As I already said Ive some monster cooling on the card, so thats not the problem here... Im so afrait to mess up my card again so I hoped that the Vcore was enough, but I NEED TO DO THE MODS WHOLE THE TIME CAUSE I THINK IT's GETTING TOO LESS V's, but its not because Atitool ran fine without errors... Or are there some great STRANGE bugs in 3DMark? Ill try to lower my CPU OC because that one isnt very stable(few games and SuperPI 32M, it crashes already after 2 minutes in Prime95 :cool: lol). Any help is appreciated, thx in advance

U

Unregistered

hi can someone tell me if i can do this mod to my x800pro pci-e

hi my card is watercooled and should take a good clock...
the ram has some heat sinks on them will this let me give the ram a better clock.....
many thanks gee...

Rammsteiner

Cooling TRUE
Case Silverstone TJ-10
OKay, its not because of my OC, and it also looks like the bluey things only appear at the same places... Could be my monitor(hopefully, OTOH, in 3DMark2001SE I can also see some textures or so :confused: . Are th 16 pipelines maybe broken? I dont think so because it looks like to happen when I raise the mem mhz above 560-570... I have now VDD 1,12V and VDDQ 1,19V... I dont get it? Is my memeory broken or so? This is so weird :mad: I WANT HIGHER OCs! my previous card also didnt likes it to run higher than 570, but that one showed artifacts in Atitool, this one isnt...

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
Rammsteiner said:
OKay, its not because of my OC, and it also looks like the bluey things only appear at the same places... Could be my monitor(hopefully, OTOH, in 3DMark2001SE I can also see some textures or so :confused: . Are th 16 pipelines maybe broken? I dont think so because it looks like to happen when I raise the mem mhz above 560-570... I have now VDD 1,12V and VDDQ 1,19V... I dont get it? Is my memeory broken or so? This is so weird :mad: I WANT HIGHER OCs! my previous card also didnt likes it to run higher than 570, but that one showed artifacts in Atitool, this one isnt...

Ramm.. you need to slow down bud... it may be that the cards memory doesn't oc well. Try 2.15 for the VDD and try to keep the VDDQ around .03v -.05v above the VDD 2.18v -2.20v . Did you say that you changed the stock HSF? Make sure it seated well and you did a good paste job...

Rammsteiner

Cooling TRUE
Case Silverstone TJ-10
Hello Urlyin,

I did also noticed the memory isnt that great lol. But its more or less running 580/590Mhz. But I discovered a strange thing. I highered the core more and more to run sync with the memory, but after every 10Mhz closer my 3DMark2001se lowered? Now I made some calculations, and it looks like(well, for me, maybe some others would like to try it to confess it?) when the core/mem ratio is 0,9(so the core is lower than the memory) the card runs the best. I ran 560/580, that one was slower than 540/590. And maybe Im right, watch the difference between each card from Ati(the X8xx series). The Pro is 475/450, also more or less the slowest(ok, the non-pro is slower, but that one isnt counting here lol). than the XT has 500/500, so the memory made a step of 50Mhz here!, But the core only 25Mhz, so that should be much faster. XT PE is 520/560. memory made another jump af 60MHz, the core only 20. 850XT is 525/575. Memory made a jump of 15Mhz, core only 5MHz. 850XT PE is 540/590, memory made a jump of 15, this time the core did too. It looks like to me that a ratio AROUND 0,9 is the best performance? Why should Ati take these speeds anyway if Im false? So please try it :D

Ill higher the VDD to 1,16V, the VDDQ will be like this(1,19V) or 1,2V. My core is running now 16 pipelines. But Ive a little question, when I reduce the resistance of a resistor(no matter what, VDD, VDDQ or VGPU), are there ANY other chips/things that are getting hotter except for the GPU, and memery?(so I know where Ive to watch for :D ;) ). If so Ill try to get 1,65Vcore(and I think my new cooler is installed almost perfectly, I almost destroyed my screwdriwer because I turned it too hard lol). The cor eis only getting 50C under full load, so thats ok I guess?), but anyway, 1,65V should make it possible to run around 580MHz stable. Than I want my memory to run at 0,9 ratio, so that should be 650Mhz :eek: :rolleyes: ... Should that be possible with not too extreme card destroying V's? I mean, as you also noticed, that I want higher and higher. My target is 580 or 585 for core and 650 for memory, BUT I WANT TO BE SURE IT WONT DESTROY MY CARD! so as already said I would like to know what chips are getting more heat by highering the V's. If the GPU and memory are the only chips everything is fine I think :)

EDIT: I was reading some trough the forums, and I saw Electriz(page 4) did 2,34V to VDD and VDDQ was 2,22V. I saw there was a little confusion about what had to be higher, VDD or VDDQ. I actually couldnt get an answer. So could you please tell me what should be good? Ill try to do a new mod soon :cool:

Last edited: