• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Radeon X800 Voltmods

nicepun

I'll take some pics this weekend when I revamp my setup because I'm getting rid of my cpu tec/pelt. I'm still cannot believe my mem sucks!!

Last edited:
U

Unregistered

Hello,
I´m searching for an x800 pro vivo pcie card with 1,6 ns RAM. I tought that all vivo has 1,6 ns RAM but mine had 2,0 ns RAM. It´s an Card from ATI. I want to send it back. But i don´t know where i get the reight one. Can somebody help me.

nicepun

Well after doing some more reading of this thread I raised my vddq to 2.22v and my vdd to 2.15 and this helped out some. I have a temp on one of my ramsinks and the highest it gets is 41c. I hope this is not too high!!!

7180 3DM05, not bad I guess!

Last edited:

pierrick30

i was wondering about a max temp for the second sensor of the x800.Im watercooled so the core doesnt get higher than 43°C even with 1.7V Vcore but the other sensor can go up to 65 especially when OCing the RAM.The PCB is really hot to the touch.What would be a "safe" value?

nicepun

pierrick30 said:
i was wondering about a max temp for the second sensor of the x800.Im watercooled so the core doesnt get higher than 43°C even with 1.7V Vcore but the other sensor can go up to 65 especially when OCing the RAM.The PCB is really hot to the touch.What would be a "safe" value?

Do you mean the GPU Ambient temp?? 65c is quite high if you ask me. Mine is usually 3~5 degrees lower at idle and around 10 degrees lower at full load. What's your VDD and VDDQ set at???

pierrick30

65 is really the highest limit when OCing
i usually have 40°C in idle and about 50°C in fulli didnt mod the VDD and VDDQ .
my Vcore is currently 1.65V

nicepun

pierrick30 said:
65 is really the highest limit when OCing
i usually have 40°C in idle and about 50°C in fulli didnt mod the VDD and VDDQ .
my Vcore is currently 1.65V

How's the cooling for your case?? What about room temp?? Do you suffer from any lag or sudden crashes in games?? What core/mem OC values for 24/7 use??

pierrick30

my case is open but there isnt much airflow in it.
my room temp....sorry i cant tell precisely should be about 20-25°C(if it helps my motherboard sensor indicates 36°C)
i dont suffer lags
i use 500/500 as usual value with an 1.6v Vcore
the maximum stable values are 570/570 with this Vmod

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
When you switch to WC you loose all the air a fan cooled GPU keeps circulating around the card so everything on the card runs warmer ..... You can see the fan that was added to my X800XT Pe in this pic here and my side case fan does the rest ... here

MeridiusZN

I have the following problem: ...my X800SE goes well OC...with no vmod to 580/560. With Vgpu mod 1,53 i can hit 620 MHz on GPU...but when i had tried Vmem mod..something strange happend. I had changed Vmem from 2,02 to 2,05....OC on mem rose up to 575...but with Vmem 2,1 it went to hell...i couldnt set clock of memory modules higher than 550 and massive artifacts was showed everywhere. Even when i had changed VDDQ to 2,15....what is the problem? I have zalman V700Cu on GPU and small blue zalman passive coollers on memory modules. THX.

EDIT: all vmods i have mentioned was pencil mods according to instructions on the first page.

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
MeridiusZN said:
I have the following problem: ...my X800SE goes well OC...with no vmod to 580/560. With Vgpu mod 1,53 i can hit 620 MHz on GPU...but when i had tried Vmem mod..something strange happend. I had changed Vmem from 2,02 to 2,05....OC on mem rose up to 575...but with Vmem 2,1 it went to hell...i couldnt set clock of memory modules higher than 550 and massive artifacts was showed everywhere. Even when i had changed VDDQ to 2,15....what is the problem? I have zalman V700Cu on GPU and small blue zalman passive coollers on memory modules. THX.

EDIT: all vmods i have mentioned was pencil mods according to instructions on the first page.

Meridius .. the recommended VDD is 2.05v and the VDDQ is 2.15v ... I believe the SE has the 2.0ns mem chips ... try 2.05v for VDD and 2.08v for VDDQ ... it may also be your BIOS is running tighter mem times, try ATITool to change the timings

malik

Hi guys i did the mod i have the vcore at 1.69 620 on core watercooled but i cant get more then 590 out of the mem i have vdd at 2.08 and vddq at 2.16 whats the max i can go on the vdd and vddq?I didnt do the overcurrent voltmod will i be ok and can i run the vdd and vddq at those settings 24 7? Whats the max i can put on agp voltage in the bios its currently 1.6 and does raising it help ocing?

Zoors

Text correction suggestions.

A)

"VR IGPU Over Current Protection Vmod

Locate resistor R1596 in Image 5 and set your VR to 250k. Check the resistance on the resistor to compare after you solder the VR on. Again after soldering the VR on check the resistance. Like with the pencil mod you want to drop the resistence around 20 Ohms."

Should be 20kohm not 20 ohm.

B)

Pencil Time

For example if your starting Ohm reading is .418k and your new reading is .400k obviously it's a 18k drop in resistance."

Its not really wrong but unclear and invites to confusion. Better write 418 ohms and 400 ohms.

Last edited:

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
malik said:
Hi guys i did the mod i have the vcore at 1.69 620 on core watercooled but i cant get more then 590 out of the mem i have vdd at 2.08 and vddq at 2.16 whats the max i can go on the vdd and vddq?I didnt do the overcurrent voltmod will i be ok and can i run the vdd and vddq at those settings 24 7? Whats the max i can put on agp voltage in the bios its currently 1.6 and does raising it help ocing?

Those settings are fine for 24/7, to go much any higher you should have active or passive cooling in place ... raising the AGP voltage in the BIOS will not help your VGA card over clock, it can help with stabilizing the NB for higher memory settings on Intel chipsets ...

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
Zoors said:
A)

"VR IGPU Over Current Protection Vmod

Locate resistor R1596 in Image 5 and set your VR to 250k. Check the resistance on the resistor to compare after you solder the VR on. Again after soldering the VR on check the resistance. Like with the pencil mod you want to drop the resistence around 20 Ohms."

Should be 20kohm not 20 ohm.

B)

Pencil Time

For example if your starting Ohm reading is .418k and your new reading is .400k obviously it's a 18k drop in resistance."

Its not really wrong but unclear and invites to confusion. Better write 419 ohms and 400 ohms.

Zoor thank you for pointing this out ... I will correct the 20 ohm to 20k ohm ... and correct the second with inserting ohms in " your new ohm reading is " .... " a 18k ohm drop in resistance "

U

Unregistered

Urlyin said:
Those settings are fine for 24/7, to go much any higher you should have active or passive cooling in place ... raising the AGP voltage in the BIOS will not help your VGA card over clock, it can help with stabilizing the NB for higher memory settings on Intel chipsets ...

Thx man i have a his x800pro vivo @flashed to x800xtpe gpu i have the saphire bios right now whats the best overclocking bios for x800xtpe in the bios collection i saw a x850xtpe bios for agp is it possible to flash to that bios?

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
Unregistered said:
Thx man i have a his x800pro vivo @flashed to x800xtpe gpu i have the saphire bios right now whats the best overclocking bios for x800xtpe in the bios collection i saw a x850xtpe bios for agp is it possible to flash to that bios?

Can't say that I've tried it but with different cores I would say no .. I've always used the ATI BIOS, some work better for others....

U

Unregistered

Urlyin said:
Can't say that I've tried it but with different cores I would say no .. I've always used the ATI BIOS, some work better for others....

Thx for your help whats the bios that oces the highest? I heard changing to the xt bios instead of xtpe might help goin higher?

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
Unregistered said:
Thx for your help whats the bios that oces the highest? I heard changing to the xt bios instead of xtpe might help goin higher?

NP ... that could be possible... depends on the cards in most cases, if your card has memory that ocs well then a BIOS with more aggressive memory timings will work good for said card, obviously if the card doesn't have memory that ocs well then you'll need to chose a different BIOS. I've found it's best to test a few and find which works best for your card. You can also use a BIOS editor like Rabit to view BIOS settings and or ATITool to make changes to the memory timings

U

Unregistered

Urlyin said:
NP ... that could be possible... depends on the cards in most cases, if your card has memory that ocs well then a BIOS with more aggressive memory timings will work good for said card, obviously if the card doesn't have memory that ocs well then you'll need to chose a different BIOS. I've found it's best to test a few and find which works best for your card. You can also use a BIOS editor like Rabit to view BIOS settings and or ATITool to make changes to the memory timings

Thx Urlyin any guides on how to change timimgs?

pierrick30

woukd like one too XD
but due to the very large number of memories available on all cards(u can even have different revison with different ram) i doubt he can provide us optimal parameters for each one of them....

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
pierrick30 said:
woukd like one too XD
but due to the very large number of memories available on all cards(u can even have different revison with different ram) i doubt he can provide us optimal parameters for each one of them....

Pierrick is right it would be difficult to do ... including the fact that like the GPU, memory oc will vary from card to card ... I can give you some tips using ATITool to help set the best timings for your card and with a profile can be loaded with ATITool.... these are based on the XT800XT PE some default settings may not be the same but DDR3 none the less...... and the end result we be from trial and error

Your memory OC will usually go down due to the tighter timings but the increased
memory bandwidth they yield more than make up for that. Try the top one first (TrcdRD = 7)
and the bottom (TrcdRD=8) second. The top one is always clock for clock faster but with
same chipset the bottom allows the memory OC to be higher offsetting that too. The red slashes indicate a timing to be changed from it's stock setting
Source ViperJohn

Attachments

• memtimings1.JPG
    memtimings1.JPG
    31.8 KB · Views: 760
  • memtimings.JPG
    memtimings.JPG
    31.8 KB · Views: 778
Last edited:

Cally

I would love to do this mod but after all the trouble I had just doing the flashing for the first time I don't dare think about this. My hands aren't steady enough anymore to do this work. I can't see sending my card all the way to Viperjohn just to do the volt mod. If there was someone in central Va. that did the vmod I would ask them to do it. Other than that I will just run the card as it is.
The knowledge on these forums is terrific though. People are lucky to have so many smart people together on one site.

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
Cally said:
I would love to do this mod but after all the trouble I had just doing the flashing for the first time I don't dare think about this. My hands aren't steady enough anymore to do this work. I can't see sending my card all the way to Viperjohn just to do the volt mod. If there was someone in central Va. that did the vmod I would ask them to do it. Other than that I will just run the card as it is.
The knowledge on these forums is terrific though. People are lucky to have so many smart people together on one site.

Cally ... if you're happy with the performance of your card ... great! enjoy it ... the flash to an XT with the added pipes is still a nice improvement ... Good job :)