• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Radeon X800 Voltmods

richieroro

Vdd Pencil Mod

Just wanted to make sure... for the Vdd pencil mod which one is R311 in pic 3? Is it the one with '153' or the one with '108'? From your description it sounds like the '108' but I've seen on VR-Zone that it's the '153'... although there were many people on that thread that said it wouldn't work for them...

So which one is it exactly? Also, could you clarify one more thing... when you measure the resistance, do you measure the resistance across the resistor or against ground? Thanks!

Last edited:

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
richieroro said:
Just wanted to make sure... for the Vdd pencil mod which one is R311 in pic 3? Is it the one with '153' or the one with '108'? From your description it sounds like the '108' but I've seen on VR-Zone that it's the '158'... although there were many people on that thread that said it wouldn't work for them...

So which one is it exactly? Also, could you clarify one more thing... when you measure the resistance, do you measure the resistance across the resistor or against ground? Thanks!

In pic3 it's the one above the label r311 and yes it does look like 108. I measured from across the resistor, but I do believe you can do it both ways. I would also suggest you do the VDDQ with the VDD vmod. My memory didn't oc well till I did the VDDQ as well. Check W1zzards safe voltages with cooling used at the top of the first page.

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
ElectriZ said:
I lent doom3 to a friend, so I cannot make the bench for the moment :-/

Hmmm I resent some new numbers but they haven't posted ... ?
FYI I did add some good info in the pencil vmod on temp specs ... check em out in the Before you Begin section ...

nagybalfasz_b

I followed your guide and upped my VGPU to 1.55V, the VDD to 2.40V and the VDDQ to 2.40V as well. The problem is now, that I get some artefacts in 3DMark03 mainly in game 3 and 4 even if I lower the VDD-frequency to 540 MHz where I didn´t have any artefacts before the MOD. So what´s the problem now? Could it be, that 2.40V is too high and that that´s causing the artefacts?
I´m using the ATI-Silencer for my X800 Pro btw.

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
nagybalfasz_b said:
I followed your guide and upped my VGPU to 1.55V, the VDD to 2.40V and the VDDQ to 2.40V as well. The problem is now, that I get some artefacts in 3DMark03 mainly in game 3 and 4 even if I lower the VDD-frequency to 540 MHz where I didn´t have any artefacts before the MOD. So what´s the problem now? Could it be, that 2.40V is too high and that that´s causing the artefacts?
I´m using the ATI-Silencer for my X800 Pro btw.

Nagybalfaz_b ... I would consider that you have gone a little to high for your card. If you followed the guide it says take your time, in other words don't go for the max right from the start. Take your VDD down to around 2.08v-2.10v and back down the VDDQ down to 2.16v-2.18. Verify that your card is working with those settings and work your way up.... take your time :D

D

Didiseven

Hello, I did the pencil vmod and now I'm running 1.5 v at vgpu aircooled, 565 stable on the core , the temps is the same as before the vmod, Can I increase more the vgpu???

Sorry about my english....

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
Didiseven said:
Hello, I did the pencil vmod and now I'm running 1.5 v at vgpu aircooled, 565 stable on the core , the temps is the same as before the vmod, Can I increase more the vgpu???

Sorry about my english....
Didiseven .... read the begining of the article it talks about heat ... in the section before you begin ... ;)

T

TheVoid

You guys are insane.....isnt the x800xt fast enough? lol

anyways, i am inspired by all of your friendlyness and camraderie in squeezing the absolute most out of your top-dollar systems. keep up the good work!

does anyone know of a thread for modding 6800gts? i will be getting one soon, upgrading from my trusty tyan 9800pro. also getting a koolance and im gonna see how far my 2.6c will go, its at 3.2 on an SP-94 now. also, anyone know if the OCZ ram booster has issues with an IC7-MAX3? i have read about this board having inconsistent Vtt at Vcc higher than 2.8, but i dont know if the ram booster would affect this.

Thanks in advance for all your helpful advice!

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
TheVoid said:
You guys are insane.....isnt the x800xt fast enough? lol

anyways, i am inspired by all of your friendlyness and camraderie in squeezing the absolute most out of your top-dollar systems. keep up the good work!

does anyone know of a thread for modding 6800gts? i will be getting one soon, upgrading from my trusty tyan 9800pro. also getting a koolance and im gonna see how far my 2.6c will go, its at 3.2 on an SP-94 now. also, anyone know if the OCZ ram booster has issues with an IC7-MAX3? i have read about this board having inconsistent Vtt at Vcc higher than 2.8, but i dont know if the ram booster would affect this.

Thanks in advance for all your helpful advice!

Void ... There should be several pages out there on the 6800 just Google ... The OCZ booster should work fine for the Abit boards ... or check out their page here

D

DiDiSeVEN

Urlyin, thx! I did all mod's with Vr and they working great except the Vddq , I sold like the pic in the first page, but when I turn the Vr the voltage have no change, I'm reading 2.183v now. What's the problem?

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
DiDiSeVEN said:
Urlyin, thx! I did all mod's with Vr and they working great except the Vddq , I sold like the pic in the first page, but when I turn the Vr the voltage have no change, I'm reading 2.183v now. What's the problem?

What was the default reading before you added the VR? The 2.18 is already above the default of 2.08 which is what I've seen for the VDDQ ... The VDDQ is the soldered to the same pins as the VDD 5 and 7 ... a 20k VR should give you about .08 to .10 volts ... which looks like what you have at 2.18 ...

Last edited:
D

DiDiSeVeN

I did correct at the pins 5 and 7.And the default voltage was about 2.08v and now 2.18v. But my question is If i turn the screw of the Vr i don't more in increase of vddq like vdd and vgpu?

D

DiDiSeVeN

DiDiSeVeN said:
I did correct at the pins 5 and 7.And the default voltage was about 2.08v and now 2.18v. But my question is If i turn the screw of the Vr i don't more in increase of vddq like vdd and vgpu?

If I turn the screw of the VR I don't suppose to have more voltage in Vddq like Vdd and vgpu?

THX

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
Didi ... yes it should be adjustable. Some VR have more turns than others. What size is the VR a 20k? does it decrease? 2.18 is about all your going to get out of a 20k VR and is about the max your going to want to run the VDDQ at ... are you using the same legs as the others? it may be a bum VR or the screw is stripped...

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
DiDiSeVeN said:
Thx Urlyin, I changed my vr and now is everything allright! :D

Cool ... good to hear DiDi ... don't over do it and keep a eye on the temps ... use ATITool to max out the fan speed at 100% :D

badkclark

ElectriZ said:
Its because its a w800 pro and he dont active the 4 pipelines...

Even Stock, my x800 Pro VIVO scored over 10000 out of the box on 3DMark03.

U

Unregistered

wow this guide is AWESOME!

i never (really) used a MM B4 this and NEVER did a pencil mod, but with this guide, im up and running!
ive only done the Vcore (1.4v (stock) to 1.44v for first time/try...) but can really see a difference in OCability...although i did put a 172w TEC on @ the same time (hehe)

now im off to do the rest of the mods and up that Vcore a "little" too ;) (sits idle @ -16C loads to +8C)

just wanted to say THANKS and GREAT WORK!!

PS this is Joe Camel on other OCing forums

AMD64: FX-55 @ 3204MHz (267x12) - MSI Neo2 - MachII - OCZ DDR Booster & VX @ 3.6V , 267 @ 2,2,2,5 1:1 - x800 XT-PE @ ? - DD Maze4 with 172w TEC - 14V TEC PSU - 500W X-Connect PSU

yes, im going to get some sinks on that RAM...

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
Unregistered said:
wow this guide is AWESOME!

i never (really) used a MM B4 this and NEVER did a pencil mod, but with this guide, im up and running!
ive only done the Vcore (1.4v (stock) to 1.44v for first time/try...) but can really see a difference in OCability...although i did put a 172w TEC on @ the same time (hehe)

now im off to do the rest of the mods and up that Vcore a "little" too ;) (sits idle @ -16C loads to +8C)

just wanted to say THANKS and GREAT WORK!!

PS this is Joe Camel on other OCing forums

AMD64: FX-55 @ 3204MHz (267x12) - MSI Neo2 - MachII - OCZ DDR Booster & VX @ 3.6V , 267 @ 2,2,2,5 1:1 - x800 XT-PE @ ? - DD Maze4 with 172w TEC - 14V TEC PSU - 500W X-Connect PSU

yes, im going to get some sinks on that RAM...

Rad system Joe ... be a member and register. Thanks go to W1zzard ... and if you're going to mod the mem do the VDDQ as well ... Ram sinks will be needed especially if you up the VDDQ more than .06v... with the case open and a good ambient room temp you may be able to get by, but if you read what ViperJohn said in the article... check out the link to his page as well ...

Joe Camel

yes MANY thanks to W1zzard, but many thanks to YOU for writing it like it was the first time someone picked up a MM (which was basically my situation :eek: )

did ALL mods and raised my Vcore to 1.57. (JUST did it) and my GPU OC (for now) went from 615 to 645 :D
could probly still go higher but ill just enjoy THIS for a while.

THANKS again!!

now for some personal best BENCH'N!! :cool:

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
Joe Camel said:
yes MANY thanks to W1zzard, but many thanks to YOU for writing it like it was the first time someone picked up a MM (which was basically my situation :eek: )

did ALL mods and raised my Vcore to 1.57. (JUST did it) and my GPU OC (for now) went from 615 to 645 :D
could probly still go higher but ill just enjoy THIS for a while.

THANKS again!!

now for some personal best BENCH'N!! :cool:

645 is kickin Joe !! share some of those benchies with us ... and I agree enjoy it for awhile :D

Joe Camel

Urlyin said:
645 is kickin Joe !! share some of those benchies with us ... and I agree enjoy it for awhile :D

well, that didnt last very long (4 hours)...645 just wasnt good enough, something didnt feel right, so i dropped the mem OC a little and that unlocked...665 :eek: out of the core!

and 7168 in 05, 15,729 in 03, and 37,372 in 01 :D

85,000 in aQuaM? (hehe) try 96,000+ :eek:

EDIT: sorry Urlyin, i tend to edit my posts...a lot :rolleyes:

Attachments

• 96k in aQUa.jpg
    96k in aQUa.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 930
Last edited:

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
Joe Camel said:
well, that didnt last very long...645 just wasnt good enough, so i dropped the mem OC a little and got...665 :eek: out of the core

and 7168 in 05 and 15,729 in 03 :D

Nice core on the card ... and the maze4 I'm sure has something to do with it... 7165 in 05 is crankin... looks like 85,000 is in reach with Aquamark as well .... nice job Joe :cool:

J

jiggaman2576

I've been following this forum for a while and I did the VR MOD on the VGPU, VDD and VDDQ. My card is a retail x800 xt pt by ati. I see you guys getting these crazy high 3dmarks in 05 yet with my card OC'd I hardly see any increase at all. I have a P4 2.4 running at 3.3 with a 276 FSB 1:1 with the memory, which I thought was pretty good. My core at 630 and mem at 590 I only get around 6300 3Dmarks which is what I was getting at 573/573 before the mods. What gives?! Also, my card is watercooled and maxes at about 38C, what would the be max safe voltage for the core? I have OCZ ramsinks on the ram and it does get pretty toasty, I have it at 2.15 and the VDDQ at 2.20. I can run the ram now at around 600 or 610 (I think) but have to test more. Something that is happening is I do a 3Dmark and in the forest benchmark the screen just goes blank and I have to restart my PC. I get no artifacts before that, it just dies. Is my voltage possibly suffering the droop as I've seen others post about? I also have the OCZ 520 PSU but I haven't cranked my 5V line up yet, it is about 5 right now though. Thanks for the help guys, this thread has helped me a ton!