• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Raid 0 Array

If you don't need RAID, don't use it, period. Unless you're completely comfortable & knowledgeable enough to troubleshoot/fix them yourself when things go wrong, it makes no sense to add unnecessary complexity to a system.
Given the unpredictable behavior of software in a non-enterprise environment and the greater potential of having to do hard shutdowns(which do not go well with RAIDs), I would rather not bother with them at all.
Your data can still be recovered if you have both hard drives, but be prepared to shell out a lot of money for it.

RAID 0 (stripped) isn't RAID at all as there is no redundancy.

I like RAID 1 (mirrored) as one can still proceed even if the RAID electronics are shot.
Yeah, but if you're running Windows, wouldn't the OS spit its pacifier? When hardware breaks or isn't working right, Windows can be annoying.

System Name Z840
Processor E5-2698 V4 X2
Memory 128GB ECC 2400mhz
Storage a lot
Power Supply 1400W
I'm running RAID10 from my onboard LSI controller, and I'm happy with the performance, I'm not using SSD caching but probably will.

RAID isn't backup, and I do have offline backup's for most of my stuff...but offline backups are hard to keep updated due the sheer lazyness...

Attachments

• raid.jpg
    raid.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 46

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Unless you need the speed, I really don't see any reason to use RAID0 in any form. It doesn't matter if it is RAID10 or RAID50, RAID0 of any form should be avoided unless you absolutely need the performance.

If you don't need RAID, don't use it, period.
This is a really bad view to have. The redundant forms of RAID make your data safer and that is never a bad thing.

System Name HP Compaq 8000 Elite CMT
Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
Motherboard Hewlett-Packard 3647h
Memory 16GB DDR3
Video Card(s) Asus NVIDIA GeForce GT 1030 2GB GDDR5 (fan-less)
Storage 2TB Micron SATA SSD; 2TB Seagate Firecuda 3.5" HDD
Display(s) Dell P2416D (2560 x 1440)
Power Supply 12V HP proprietary
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Yes, if you need low down time, RAID is a good way to go.

Unless you need the speed, I really don't see any reason to use RAID0 in any form. It doesn't matter if it is RAID10 or RAID50, RAID0 of any form should be avoided unless you absolutely need the performance.

This is a really bad view to have. The redundant forms of RAID make your data safer and that is never a bad thing.
Hey, you either need it or you don't. I personally wouldn't want to use RAID since there are times when the need arises to force the system to shut down due to software issues. This can be a real hassle for systems that are using RAID arrays. If I were using enterprise software+hardware, it would be a different story, but no, not on my home desktop.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Hey, you either need it or you don't. I personally wouldn't want to use RAID since there are times when the need arises to force the system to shut down due to software issues. This can be a real hassle for systems that are using RAID arrays. If I were using enterprise software+hardware, it would be a different story, but no, not on my home desktop.
I'm interested in why you think hard shut downs pose a problem with RAID arrays. That just isn't the case with anything modern.

I'm interested in why you think hard shut downs pose a problem with RAID arrays. That just isn't the case with anything modern.
True, full/hard shutdowns are a fact of life. I've never encountered a multi-drive array that could never be fully powered down. It's an absurd idea.

D

Deleted member 185158

To get any data off a RAID0 array you need both drives that were in the array. Without both drives the data will be totally corrupt.
Take the two drives down from raid. (hardware raid 0?)
Leave one in from the broken array.
Disable raid in bios.
Boot from Windows Installation Media.
Select Boot repair.
When completed, boot from single drive, all data there.
Enjoy.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Take the two drives down from raid. (hardware raid 0?)
Leave one in from the broken array.
Disable raid in bios.
Boot from Windows Installation Media.
Select Boot repair.
When completed, boot from single drive, all data there.
Enjoy.
That usually works with RAID1 but it's not going to work with RAID0. With RAID0, one drive gone means all the data on the array is gone.