1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Raid 1 on one hdd (nas)?

Discussion in 'Storage' started by TSX420J, Jun 13, 2014.

1. TSX420J

TSX420J

Thanks Received:
    Hey everyone,
    It's been a while since I've posted a thread or asked a question. Anyway, I wanted to ask a question regarding RAID 1.

Ok, I'm buying a 2 bay NAS. My initial budget allows me to only buy the NAS and 1 4tb HDD. In the future I plan on adding a second 4tb HDD and setting up RAID 1.

My question is; can I configure RAID1 on one HDD from the start, so that when I get the second one, I can pop it in and build the array without risking data corruption?

Thanks in advanced. Cheers!

2. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Not likely.

10 Year Member at TPU Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  3. Athlonite

Athlonite

Thanks Received:
    I always thought that any version of a raid array required a min of HDD's ro run ie: RAID0 requires a min of two HDD's

you can read here what is needed for the various raid array types

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID

4. TSX420J

TSX420J

Thanks Received:

Thanks friends. I was worried I couldn't.

I really wanted to start organizing all of my media backups and 5+ hdd's but I guess I'm going to have to wait to get both drives.

5. Jizzler

Jizzler

Thanks Received:
    This will depend on the NAS. Write to the manufacturer of the NAS you're looking to buy and see if it's supported. A well-written manual would also state it.

Windows mirroring works like this, where you start with a drive and can add a mirror of it at a later time. I've seen it as a feature on RAID controllers as well.

6. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, RAID Level Migration is what this is called on RAID controllers. Some NAS devices will support this, but most of the inexpensive 2 bay variants I've seen won't.

10 Year Member at TPU Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  7. stinger608

stinger608 Dedicated TPU Cruncher & Folder

Thanks Received:
    A person could opt to install either Drive Bender or Drive Pool on the NAS drive. This would allow for either extending the storage amount as you add drives, or mirroring once you add the second drive.

Crunching for Team TPU
  8. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    Not necessarily, you can run RAID0 on one hard drive. I have done it a lot for system configurations at work.

But RAID1, i think you have to have 2 drives.

9. Athlonite

Athlonite

Thanks Received:
    how the hell do you set up RAID0 on 1 HDD and more to point why would you as your not likely to gain any advantage speed wise are you over say running it in AHCI mode

INSTG8R says thanks.
  10. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:

It might depend on the raid controller used. I was dealing with enterprise infrastructure performance machines. I always wondered why the buildout required single drives to be in RAID0, but I just shut up and did it.

11. The Von Matrices

The Von Matrices

Thanks Received:
    What you're looking to do is to build a degraded RAID 1. I have done this before in mdadm (Linux software RAID), but I am not sure how many NAS units allow you to do it either through Linux or their proprietary utilities.