• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

RAID0 recovery?

• Thread starter Deleted member 106413
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 106413

Hello everyone,
While I was trying to install Windows 8 on a RAID0 partition, and trying different diskpart commands, I think I fu**ed up my RAID. Now in Windows it says it's got to be formatted, but I'd like to recover some data if it's possible. Does somebody know how to do this?
I tried a couple of RAID recovery software but they don't recognize my partition. Am I screwed?
Thanks for all the replies.

JrRacinFan

Served 5k and counting ...
System Name Dual Build Streamer
Processor Ryzen 7900x3d : Ryzen 4600G
Motherboard AsRock B650E Steel Legend : Giga B450i Aorus
Cooling Custom Water 1x420 : Stock
Memory 32GB T-Force Deltas : 16GB Dominator Platinums
Video Card(s) PowerColor 7900 XTX Liquid Devil: iGPU
Storage 20+ TB
Display(s) Sammy 49" 5k Ultrawide
Case Custom White Painted Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2
Audio Device(s) Onboard : Onboard
Power Supply EVGA 1200W P2
Mouse Corsair M65 RGB Elite White
Keyboard Hyperx Origins 65
Software Windows 10
Before venturing further what EXACTLY was done to have it FUBAR?

D

Deleted member 106413

Before venturing further what EXACTLY was done to have it FUBAR?

These are the commands I attempted:
Code:
C:\> Diskpart

DISKPART> list volume

DISKPART> select volume 4

DISKPART> online volume

DISKPART> attributes volume clear readonly

DISKPART> clean

DISKPART> convert gpt

DISKPART> create partition efi size=100

DISKPART> assign letter=s

DISKPART>format quick fs=FAT32

DISKPART>create partition msr size=128

DISKPART> create partition primary align=32

DISKPART>assign letter=p

DISKPART> select part 1

DISKPART> format fs=ntfs label="System" unit=512 quick compress

[B]Here it said it couldn't format or something[/B]

DISKPART> assign letter q

DISKPART> list volume

DISKPART> exit

Of course in the end I couldn't install Windows, but I saw that the 65GB partition I created before was gone, probably merged with the 4TB RAID0.

JrRacinFan

Storage 20+ TB
Software Windows 10
I am kind of leaning towards that the data is gone at this point

Code:

DISKPART>assign letter=p

D

Deleted member 106413

I am kind of leaning towards that the data is gone at this point

Code:

DISKPART>assign letter=p

Yeah I thought about it too, but didn't I only format the 65GB partition? If not not too bad, there weren't importand data there, just Steam games and downloaded junk.

EDIT: I am using a non-RAID recovery software, and it's finding 2000 files as of now, so I guess it's not formatted yet?

Last edited by a moderator:

JrRacinFan

Storage 20+ TB
Software Windows 10
Yeah see that's where the info I need lies. What disk id's are linked to which partitions/volumes and which one is the major portion?
DISKPART> format fs=ntfs label="System" unit=512 quick compress
that's also a problem. I've never heard of the "quick compress" flag before.

System Name FragBox
Processor Intel Core i7 2600K @ 5.0GHz/1.45 volts
Motherboard Asus P8Z77 WS
Cooling Custom CPU loop
Memory Kingston 12GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) Galaxy GTX 680/Zotac GTX 680 in SLi/EVGA GTX 650Ti
Storage 2 Vertex 3 120's, raid 0, 2 Seagate Momentus XT 500GB's in raid 0, 1 Hitatchi 2TB for backup
Display(s) 3 Acer S232HLX2 in nvidia surround
Case Corsair C70 White
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair AX1200
Software Win 7 x64 Pro
A quick format only deletes the file table, not the files themselves, so the disk doesn't know where to look for the files.

If you did a full format then you'd be pretty much hosed.

D

Deleted member 106413

A quick format only deletes the file table, not the files themselves, so the disk doesn't know where to look for the files.

If you did a full format then you'd be pretty much hosed.

Hmm okay, and how do I restore them? With a recovery software? Can you suggest one that works, maybe freeware? (I remember the name Recuva...)

JrRacinFan

Storage 20+ TB
Software Windows 10
That changes things. Find a place to recover them to and yes Recuva does a great job for being freeware.

D

Deleted member 106413

Recuva won't let me scan drive E:\ . It says it can't read boot sector.
Trying with EASEUS Data Recovery

System Name Chaos
Processor Intel Core i5 4590K @ 4.0 GHz
Motherboard MSI Z97 MPower MAX AC
Cooling Arctic Cooling Freezer i30 + MX4
Memory 4x4 GB Kingston HyperX Beast 2400 GT/s CL11
Video Card(s) Palit GTX 1070 Dual @ stock
Storage 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD + 1 TB WD Green (Idle timer off) + 320 GB WD Blue
Display(s) Dell U2515H
Case Fractal Design Define R3
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair HX750 Platinum
Mouse CM Storm Recon
Keyboard CM Storm Quickfire Pro (MX Red)
If you don't shy away from piracy, or have money to throw away, you'll find GetDataBack for NTFS rather useful. At this point, you've killed your MBR and your PBR, as well as your MFT, so you'll only be able to find your file via pattern matching. Meaning, the software you should use has to recognize a file's header to discern whether it's a .jpg, an .mp3 or an .avi, for example. And even then, it will be hard to recover badly fragmented files, if not impossible. Why were you doing all that in diskpart? Actually, why the hell would you convert a disk containing important files to GPT? Did no one tell you this is a destructive procedure?

As for using GetDataBack, be sure to set the options "Sustained file system damage", then use "Excessive search", "Recover lost files", "Recover deleted files", and un-check "Use valid MFT entries only".
Good luck!

D

Deleted member 106413

If you don't shy away from piracy, or have money to throw away, you'll find GetDataBack for NTFS rather useful. At this point, you've killed your MBR and your PBR, as well as your MFT, so you'll only be able to find your file via pattern matching. Meaning, the software you should use has to recognize a file's header to discern whether it's a .jpg, an .mp3 or an .avi, for example. And even then, it will be hard to recover badly fragmented files, if not impossible. Why were you doing all that in diskpart? Actually, why the hell would you convert a disk containing important files to GPT? Did no one tell you this is a destructive procedure?

As for using GetDataBack, be sure to set the options "Sustained file system damage", then use "Excessive search", "Recover lost files", "Recover deleted files", and un-check "Use valid MFT entries only".
Good luck!

I never said it had important data, it only had my Steam games (400GB+), my downloaded files and other useless stuff. In fact, all my data is in my 240Gb SSD for security, plus I have a copy of everything in Dropbox or GDrive.
I just wanted to be able to recover all this stuff cause I don't want to download it all over again. We'll see how it goes in 6-8 hours when the process finishes.
Thanks for that software though. I'll see what to do if EASEUS doesn't work by that time.
Thanks everyone for the help :p

Mindweaver

Moderato®™
Staff member
System Name Tower of Power / Sechs
Processor i7 14700K / i7 5820k @ 4.5ghz
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming WiFi D4 / X99S GAMING 7
Cooling CM MasterLiquid ML360 Mirror ARGB Close-Loop AIO / CORSAIR Hydro Series H100i Extreme
Memory CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600 / G.Skill DDR4 2800 16GB 4x4GB
Video Card(s) ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 4070 Ti / ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 3070 V2 OC Edition
Storage 4x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB M.2, 2x Crucial 1TB SSD / Samsung 870 PRO 500GB M.2
Display(s) Samsung 32" Odyssy G5 Gaming 144hz 1440p, ViewSonic 32" 72hz 1440p / 2x ViewSonic 32" 72hz 1440p
Case Phantek "400A" / Phanteks “Enthoo Pro series”
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC4080 / Azalia Realtek ALC1150
Power Supply Corsair RM Series RM750 / Corsair CXM CX600M
Mouse Glorious Gaming Model D Wireless / Razer DeathAdder Chroma
Keyboard Glorious GMMK with box-white switches / Keychron K6 pro with blue swithes
VR HMD Quest 3 (128gb) + Rift S + HTC Vive + DK1
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 / Windows 10 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores Yes
RAID (redundant array of independent disks)

But.. "RAID 0" doesn't have any redundancy. "RAID 0" should only be used for improved performance, and additional storage space. Any single drive failure destroys the array. I would cut my loses, and rebuild the array, and start over. :toast: The time you'll spend trying to recover the drive failure would be better used by rebuilding the array. Since, nothing important was on the array. :toast:

D

Deleted member 106413

RAID (redundant array of independent disks)

But.. "RAID 0" doesn't have any redundancy. "RAID 0" should only be used for improved performance, and additional storage space. Any single drive failure destroys the array. I would cut my loses, and rebuild the array, and start over. :toast: The time you'll spend trying to recover the drive failure would be better used by rebuilding the array. Since, nothing important was on the array. :toast:

45 minutes left :p
I still want to try recover as much as I can, I found a 2TB external HDD that'll do the work ^^
(Don't want to download 500-600GB eheh)
By the way, wouldn't there be a way to "rebuild" the file structure of the HDD's? Or is it impossible?

System Name Chaos
Storage 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD + 1 TB WD Green (Idle timer off) + 320 GB WD Blue
Display(s) Dell U2515H
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse CM Storm Recon
It's impossible, even in theory. When you write a file to a RAID0 volume, the odd blocks will be written to one constituent drive, and the even ones to the other. When one drive fails, you lose literally 50% of file data with absolutely no way to reconstruct them. There are no hash values, parity checks, CRCs, nothing.

About your recovery attempt... Say you do manage to recover 80% of the files from the array. How will you run a Steam game if even one file is missing from it's folder? Since I don't game on Steam, does it have an option to re-download missing/corrupted parts of a game?

How is your RAID array fucked? You only touched the file system as far as I can tell. Ignore the fact that it's a RAID array and approach it as a normal disk. The OS isn't aware of an array, just a disk. What hardware lies underneath isn't relevant.

System Name Zim
Processor AMD FX-6300
Motherboard GA-970A-UD3 (rev. 2.0)
Cooling AMD Stock with heat pipes
Memory Corsair CMV8GX3M2A1333C9 2x 8GB Kit DDR3 1333
Video Card(s) EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti FPB
Storage Western Digital WD RE4 1TB - Main
Display(s) HP LP2465 1920x1200
Case COOLMAX CS-480
Audio Device(s) Intergrated VIA VT2021
Power Supply hec X-Power Pro 600
Software Windows 7 Ultimate
System Name Chaos
Display(s) Dell U2515H
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse CM Storm Recon
How is your RAID array fucked? You only touched the file system as far as I can tell. Ignore the fact that it's a RAID array and approach it as a normal disk. The OS isn't aware of an array, just a disk. What hardware lies underneath isn't relevant.

Yes, but all traces of a file table are gone, and so is any partitioning info. It's a disk with files physically sitting on it, but no index of their position, length and names. Perhaps if he's super lucky, a capable software can find $MFT intact on the disk, and use it to restore everything else. But that requires quite the amount of dumb luck...

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
Bingo! Raid 0 is not raid, it's JBOD. I hate that it gets tagged as a Raid option.

That's incorrect. Get your facts straight. JBOD concatenates disks, it doesn't stripe them like RAID-0 does. RAID-0 and JBOD do two very different things. The only thing they have in common is that they don't offer redundancy.

D

Deleted member 106413

It's impossible, even in theory. When you write a file to a RAID0 volume, the odd blocks will be written to one constituent drive, and the even ones to the other. When one drive fails, you lose literally 50% of file data with absolutely no way to reconstruct them. There are no hash values, parity checks, CRCs, nothing.

About your recovery attempt... Say you do manage to recover 80% of the files from the array. How will you run a Steam game if even one file is missing from it's folder? Since I don't game on Steam, does it have an option to re-download missing/corrupted parts of a game?

Yeah, Steam has the option to check game integrity and re-download corrupted files... by the way GetDataBack didn't work, it scanned the entire array (took about 5 hours), found TWO system files, and when I selected one of them it crashed :( Now I'm trying with EASEUS, if that fails, I guess I'll format it.

System Name Chaos
Display(s) Dell U2515H
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse CM Storm Recon
You could also try Active@ Partition Recovery, but it's likely that the $MFT was damaged. I believe that APR is capable of finding MFT backup and using it, as well as recognizing files via header signature and $Bitmap record, if present and undamaged...

If your D/L speed is upwards of say 15-20 Mbps, it might actually be quicker to just re-download everything.

D

Deleted member 106413

You could also try Active@ Partition Recovery, but it's likely that the $MFT was damaged. I believe that APR is capable of finding MFT backup and using it, as well as recognizing files via header signature and $Bitmap record, if present and undamaged...

If your D/L speed is upwards of say 15-20 Mbps, it might actually be quicker to just re-download everything.

EASEUS just finished scanning, but it found a bunch of meaningless files. There are like 3000 rar files (1.rar,2.rar...3000.rar), and there is a .doc of 2.4GB LOL.
I'm gonna try that software and let the pc running tonight, and if that doesn't work, full format :p
By the way I have a 20Mbps so yeah it shouldn't take THAT much...

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
If two applications are providing either nothing or gibberish, it's very likely that you won't be recovering much of anything.

D

Deleted member 106413

I formatted today.
Thanks for all your help, you can close this thread now :)

brandonwh64

Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!
Yea even thought raid 0 is fast, it is a complete disaster if one drive dies. I am just waiting on the day when one of my drives die but I backup all important things to my 1TB black drive.