• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

RAM issue

Processor i7 6900k @ 4.3GHZ
Motherboard MSI X99A Godlike Gaming Carbon
Cooling CPU/GPU loop with 480mm and 360mm radiators
Memory 32GB Corsair Dominator 3000MHz C15
Video Card(s) 2x EVGA 1080 SC ACX @ 1830/1330
Storage Samsung 950 Pro M.2 512GB, WD 2TB Black HDD
Case Corsair 900D
Power Supply EVGA 850W Gold 80 plus PSU
Software Windows 10 Pro
Hey guys,

So I have had this issue for a long time although it's been happening more recently now. Maybe once every couple of days. I am pretty much certain that it is an issue with my MB/RAM but I have no idea how to fix it. The reason I think it is my MB/RAM is because my MB won't let me run my 2400MHz RAM at 2400MHz (I do have the correct timings). When I boot it up with the RAM at 2400MHz, it won't even load up the bios and I have to do a CMOS clear to be able to even get to the bios. Thus, I have just been running my RAM at 2133MHz for the last year or so, which has been a pain because it would occasionally BSOD but as I said it's happening more often now. So my question I guess is, why can't I run my RAM at 2400MHz?

System Name Americas cure is the death of Social Justice & Political Correctness
Processor i7-11700K
Motherboard Asrock Z590 Extreme wifi 6E
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB Corsair RGB fancy boi 5000
Video Card(s) RTX 3090 Reference
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1Tb + Samsung 970 Evo 500Gb
Display(s) Dell - 27" LED QHD G-SYNC x2
Case Fractal Design Meshify-C
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ Gold 1000 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502 spectrum
Keyboard AZIO MGK-1 RGB (Kaith Blue)
Software Win 10 Professional 64 bit
Benchmark Scores the MLGeesiest
that CPU runs 1866 , after that iirc it requires an Overclock. obvious buti thought id mention it. sometimes its the simple stuff

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Hey guys,

So I have had this issue for a long time although it's been happening more recently now. Maybe once every couple of days. I am pretty much certain that it is an issue with my MB/RAM but I have no idea how to fix it. The reason I think it is my MB/RAM is because my MB won't let me run my 2400MHz RAM at 2400MHz (I do have the correct timings). When I boot it up with the RAM at 2400MHz, it won't even load up the bios and I have to do a CMOS clear to be able to even get to the bios. Thus, I have just been running my RAM at 2133MHz for the last year or so, which has been a pain because it would occasionally BSOD but as I said it's happening more often now. So my question I guess is, why can't I run my RAM at 2400MHz?

Your CPU isn't fully capable of running 2400 MHz ram speeds. It's quite normal. You can try boosting VCCSA and or I/O voltage, but I have seen IVB-E CPUs that could not even do 2133 MHz reliably without voltage tweaking.

Processor Ryzen5 2600
Motherboard MSi X470 Gaming PLus
Cooling CM MasterLiquid ML240L AIO
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX (2x16Gb) DDR4 3200MHz
Video Card(s) MSi GTX Armor 1080
Storage Crucial MX500 250Gb SSD M.2 /Crucial MX500 1Tb SSD / Toshiba X300 4Tb HD
Display(s) AOC 31.5" 1440p
Case NZXT H500
Audio Device(s) Creative Z
Power Supply Silverstone Strider 650w
Mouse Corsair M65
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB UK
Software Win 10 Pro
If I remember rightly, the issue is over the voltage with this board (used to own one briefly) and the RAM. As @cadaveca has stated previously, the cpu is not "fully" capable of running at 2400MHz ram speeds (check with Intel via the ol' googleness). However Asrock claimed this wasn't an issue, and even went as far as to state that all G.Skill RAM was fully compatible. I know I personally had to compromise at 2133MHZ speed for stability (things would work fine even after a burn-in, then nothing until a reset)...

Processor i7 6900k @ 4.3GHZ
Motherboard MSI X99A Godlike Gaming Carbon
Cooling CPU/GPU loop with 480mm and 360mm radiators
Memory 32GB Corsair Dominator 3000MHz C15
Video Card(s) 2x EVGA 1080 SC ACX @ 1830/1330
Storage Samsung 950 Pro M.2 512GB, WD 2TB Black HDD
Case Corsair 900D
Power Supply EVGA 850W Gold 80 plus PSU
Software Windows 10 Pro
If I remember rightly, the issue is over the voltage with this board (used to own one briefly) and the RAM. As @cadaveca has stated previously, the cpu is not "fully" capable of running at 2400MHz ram speeds (check with Intel via the ol' googleness). However Asrock claimed this wasn't an issue, and even went as far as to state that all G.Skill RAM was fully compatible. I know I personally had to compromise at 2133MHZ speed for stability (things would work fine even after a burn-in, then nothing until a reset)...

Your CPU isn't fully capable of running 2400 MHz ram speeds. It's quite normal. You can try boosting VCCSA and or I/O voltage, but I have seen IVB-E CPUs that could not even do 2133 MHz reliably without voltage tweaking.

Ahh okay. Is that hard to to? I don't have a massive amount of experience with overclocking.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Personally, I'd say it's not hard, but then there is a long list of members here who I know defer to me when it comes to memory tweaking. :p

What I would do, in your position, is first I would try to simply just set the first 4 timings into the BIOS manually without using XMP, and see how that goes. Should that fail, then I'd be setting secondary and tertiary timings manually, and then playing with voltages. Like I mentioned earlier, for your CPU, it'll be the VCCSA and I/O voltages that need to be adjusted. They could even simply be too high and the excess causes the errors... so to do that sort of tweaking, you first need to reset your BOIS completely, and then go into the BIOS, check monitoring pages, and see what your defaults are, then set those defaults manually. Then you can do incremental increases while running memtest to see wha happens to errors with stock volts, and then with volt increases.