• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

RAM Issues

System Name Little Red
Processor AMD FX-8350 @ 4.8Ghz
Motherboard ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z
Cooling Thermaltake Frio
Memory 16GB (2x8) Patriot Viper 1600Mhz CL9
Video Card(s) ASUS Radeon HD 6970
Storage 120GB Kingston HyperX 3K SSD
Display(s) LG E2250V-SN 22"
Case CM HAF-XB
Power Supply OCZ Fatal1ty 750W
So I've looked around and haven't been able to find an answer to my problem. I might have not looked hard enough, if so, sorry.

I bought a CPU/Motherboard combo from a friend. He'd bent some pins on the CPU and didn't think worthwhile to unbend them. It included an AMD 1090t and an ASUS M5A99X Evo (Not R2.0). Unbent all the pins and installed it.I received my RAM two days ago and installed that.

The RAM is Crucial Ballistix Tracer 4GB (2x2GB) BLT2CP2G3D1608DT2TXOB.

It's rated at 1600Mhz with CL 8 timings but ran it at 1333 with CL 9 timings.

Start of the problem:
The system booted and the BIOS showed both sticks of RAM recognized. Both sticks bottom LED's lit up but only the one in DIMM a_2 had the LED's on the top lighting up. The motherboard manual recommended using DIMM's a_2 and b_2 if using two sticks. The would be the second and fourth slots.

I assumed this was not a real problem and that it would be fixed once I installed the OS and used the Crucial Ballistix MOD utility. Unfortunately this was not the case. After fully installing the OS, only the stick in a_2 had it's top LED's lighting. Maybe the stick is bad? Nope, switched the stick's positions and again, only the one in a_2 lit up.

Real problems start here:
Looked into CPU-Z and it said it was running in single channel. System properties said 4GB installed but only 1.96GB usable. I tried DIMM's a_1 and b_1 and again, only the top LED's of the stick in a_1 lit up and it was still being recognized as single channel. I then installed the sticks in a_1 and a_2 and both of them lit up and all 4Gb were usable. It was still single channel but that's what it should be in this configuration. I tried some Mushkin RedLine that was in the living room PC, it was being recognized the same way in all configurations.

I put the Crucial RAM in the living room PC, running an AMD Phenom 955 on an M4A89TD-Pro/USB3, and it was running fine, all LED's lit up and running in dual channel.

Anyone have any suggestions on what to do, if anything left? I have an extra 955 I could put into the M5A99X Evo, to check if it's the 1090t's Memory Controller or the Motherboard itself, but if anyone has any suggestions before I go out and swap CPU's, it would be greatly appreciated. Hopefully I didn't miss a bent pin. Didn't see any mission pins either.

TL;DR:
Ram is showing up single channel even though it's set up in a dual configuration. Tested RAM on different board and it was recognized fine. Tested different on RAM 1090t board and also showed as single channel. Haven't tried a different chip on the board but will if necessary. Recommendations on what to do before swapping CPUs?

Last edited:
Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
Test a different CPU in the board...that bent pin, even though corrected, may have something to do with it since the memory controller is on the CPU and all...

System Name Little Red
Cooling Thermaltake Frio
Case CM HAF-XB
Wanted to leave that as a last resort. Hoping I might have missed something. Just replaced the CPU with a 955. RAM still showing up as single channel. Guess it's the motherboard.

Motherboard and OS recognize both sticks. 4GB shown. Only 1.96GB available though. Latest BIOS installed. Would older BIOS settings work?

System Name DEVIL'S ABYSS
Processor i7-4790K@4.6 GHz
Motherboard Asus Z97-Deluxe
Cooling Corsair H110 (2 x 140mm)(3 x 140mm case fans)
Memory 16GB Adata XPG V2 2400MHz
Video Card(s) EVGA 780 Ti Classified
Storage Intel 750 Series 400GB (AIC), Plextor M6e 256GB (M.2), 13 TB storage
Display(s) Crossover 27QW (27"@ 2560x1440)
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150
Power Supply Cooler Master V1000
Mouse Ttsports Talon Blu
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 10 Pro x64 version 1803
Benchmark Scores Passmark CPU score = 13080
Did you test it with the other set of RAM after replacing the CPU? Not that it matters, it's almost certainly the motherboard after all you've tried. Not uncommon on Asus boards these days. Any chance of an RMA? That board has a 3 year warranty, maybe your friend still has the receipt. It's worth a shot.

System Name Halloween Boo!
Processor Intel Core i7 3770K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z77-Up7
Cooling Custom Water/ Thermalchill TA 120.3/ Swiftech Apogeee XT/ MCP655/ Swiftech M icrores/ XSPC RX 240
Memory 16G G.Skill trident 2400MHz
Video Card(s) 3 x Radeon 7970
Storage OCZ Revo Drive 240G
Display(s) 24 inch Viewsonic
Case Phobia WayCoolIt Test Bench
Power Supply Nexus 1100 watt
See if any retailer in town has an old Athlon. Microcenter had em for $29 and you could test the board.

System Name Little Red
Cooling Thermaltake Frio
Case CM HAF-XB
Did you test it with the other set of RAM after replacing the CPU? Not that it matters, it's almost certainly the motherboard after all you've tried. Not uncommon on Asus boards these days. Any chance of an RMA? That board has a 3 year warranty, maybe your friend still has the receipt. It's worth a shot.

Don't think I'll be able to RMA it. No receipt, and I think he did more damage than just bending pins on the CPU. Explained below. Thanks though :)

See if any retailer in town has an old Athlon. Microcenter had em for $29 and you could test the board.

Actually had an Athlon X3 440 in a box. Tested it out. More explained below. Thanks for the recommendation. Remind me I had that :laugh:

So I now believe damage was done to both the CPU and Motherboard. No matter which board I put the 1090t it would not recognize dual channel memory. Boards included ASUS M5A99X Evo and M4A89TD-Pro/USB3, and Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3.

No matter what CPU I put in the the M5A99X Evo board, it would not recognize dual channel memory. CPU's included 1090t, two different 955 Black Edition, and Athlon X3 440.

Even tried a different power supply at one point. :ohwell:

Thanks everyone who replied. Not too disappointed about this. Bought the CPU and board for 70$ together to put in a showcase PC. I'll just run the RAM in single channel and continue working on the case. Already have pieces on the way to be able to showcase the RAM with the cooler I'm using.

Again, thanks everyone who replied, and if anyone has any more suggestions, please do post or pm. :)

Cooling Custom Water/ Thermalchill TA 120.3/ Swiftech Apogeee XT/ MCP655/ Swiftech M icrores/ XSPC RX 240
Here is one for ya. Maybe the board damaged the chips. I had a Sapphire A85 review sample take out 2 chips and the Neoseeker Reviewer had the same model take his Llano chip out also .

System Name Little Red
Cooling Thermaltake Frio
Case CM HAF-XB
Here is one for ya. Maybe the board damaged the chips. I had a Sapphire A85 review sample take out 2 chips and the Neoseeker Reviewer had the same model take his Llano chip out also .

Thought of this while in the middle of swapping and testing different chips. Prayed I didn't damage any of them. Tested all of them, excluding the 1090t, on the M4A89TD board with both the Crucial and Mushkin RAM. All posted fine. Was relieved. Next time might just test with the Athlon x3 :p.

Sucks to hear about that board and the damage done.

Thought of this while in the middle of swapping and testing different chips. Prayed I didn't damage any of them. Tested all of them, excluding the 1090t, on the M4A89TD board with both the Crucial and Mushkin RAM. All posted fine. Was relieved. Next time might just test with the Athlon x3 :p.

Sucks to hear about that board and the damage done.

Sapphire replace the chips.