1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

RAM running slow

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Xenolah, Nov 2, 2005.

1. Xenolah New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've got 2x512mb Nanya ddr400 ram sticks on a Gigabyte K8NS-PRO board. The only way to get the computer past the post screen is running the ram at 150mhz or lower, or increasing the voltage and running 166mhz. Anything above 166mhz even at 2.8v refuses to work. I've tried other ram & different timings but it doesn't seem to get past the 166mhz mark. Gigabyte claims its a "AMD Athlon 64 CPU specification limitation" however my friend's Asus board runs 2 sticks of ddr400 at full speed (he has virtually the same specs as me). I've updated my bios to F13 which hasn't made a difference. Any help would be appreciated :)

10 Year Member at TPU
  2. Christer New Member

Thanks Received:
    Does your friend have the same poor Ram that you have?:)

10 Year Member at TPU
  3. Aevum

Thanks Received:
    lets clear up some stuff
    the 2 DDR400 sticks on your friends computer, are they the same nanya sticks you tried on your board ?

have you tested the sticks on another machine ?
    have you checked another psu ?

btw, if someone tells me my machine isnt running at spec speeds becuase of "athlon64 CPU specifications" i would make him eat the damn board. that board should and does run at DDR400 without any problems, and if it dosnt, theres clearly something defective

10 Year Member at TPU
  4. Xenolah New Member

Thanks Received:
    The 2 sets of RAM are different brands. I've tried both brands of ram on my friend's board, both worked @ ddr400. I havn't tried another PSU in my system however I don't really have one I can try. I havn't seen any signs of trouble from the PSU, the rails seem stable.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2005
    10 Year Member at TPU