1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

RAM speed? Please help

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by warghost, Mar 13, 2005.

1. warghost New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys, I just upgraded my PC from an Athlon XP 2600 to an Athlon 64 3200. I switched out the mobo/CPU, but kept the old RAM (Geil 3200 / 400mhz) since it was fairly new. Here's my problem. When I first got this RAM, my old mobo (leadTek Nforce2) didn't recognize the RAM as 400mhz. I had to manually change the voltage in the bios to get it to run at 400 instead of 333mhz. I want to make sure this RAM is now running at 400mhz. Is there any program out there that will show me how fast my RAM is running? I have Sandra and Cpu-Z, but I can't find the speed of my RAM in either program.

The only thing I was able to find was in Cpu-Z, under the Memory tab. In the Timings section, the first box says "Frequency", and my RAM is supposedly running at 201mhz. The odd thing is, my RAM is 400mhz, not 200. I do have two 512meg sticks, and was wondering if that might be why the expected speed is halved. Does that make sense?

I checked in my new bios (Award - newest version) and can't find much there to tell me what it's recognizing. Thanks for any help you guys can offer.

10 Year Member at TPU
  2. Halki New Member

Thanks Received:
    somewhere.. over the rainbow (Zilina, Slovakia)
    aye, the cpu-z shows the half freq... get what DDR means?

look, the fsb is running at 200, your ram is runnding synchonous with it, and the 400 mhz thing just says thet the ram is Double Data Rate... so it is running at its normal speed, don't worry

10 Year Member at TPU
  3. warghost New Member

Thanks Received:
    Got it, thanks.

10 Year Member at TPU