• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Random crash - ideas?

i_am_mustang_man

Processor AMD X2 AM2+
Memory 2GB DDR2
Video Card(s) 7900gto
Storage 80GB+120GB 7200RPM IDE + 250GB SATA2 + 500GB SATA2
Display(s) 26" 1920x1200
Case Antec Nine Hundred
Audio Device(s) OnBoard
Power Supply Ultra 600W with X-Connect
Software Vista Ultimate
so, i was browsing web, nothing was loading at all, nothing. then blank went the screen, and it restarted. wtf i think

so then it says windows has recovered from serious error, yadda yadda, i submit,
and this is the webpage:

MSOFT said:
Hardware failure: replace failed component

Thank you for submitting an error report.

Problem description

The error was caused by an unrecoverable hardware error which forced the operating system to stop functioning.

Although we know the problem is caused by a hardware component, unfortunately the error report does not contain enough information to tell us the specific component. More than likely the problem is being caused by problems with one or more of the following computer components:

* Random Access Memory (RAM)
* System board
* Central Processing Unit (CPU)
* Power supply

Recommendations

If you have received this error more than once, it could indicate a serious problem with your computer. We recommend that you do the following:

1. Back up your files to avoid data loss in case of a complete hardware failure.
2. Contact the original manufacturer of your computer or your local computer repair shop. Either will have advanced hardware diagnostics to determine the specific component which is failing.

Additional Technical Information

* Troubleshooting Machine Check Crashes

first time this has happened

i don't think it's my psu cuz all my voltages are well within even 5%

my cpu is overclocked to 2430 (can hit 2600 no prob, but i've been messing with multi/ram, but not for a few days)

ram is under 200mhz

and mainboard has never given me any problems

any ideas? my vidcard was oc'ed to 570/610, butnot underload, and i had run 3d05 twice on this boot up, but about 45 min before the crash

the only thing i can think of would be a power surge of some sort, although i have a surge protector

no light flichers either, and no clock's need resetting

randomperson21

Processor AMD Athlon64 X2 3800+ @ 2.4Ghz
Motherboard ECS NForce4 A-939
Cooling CPU: Zalman CNPS7000B-AlCu GFX: Zalman VF-700AlCu, 2x120mm+5x80mm w/ Ultra 7ch Fan Controller
Memory Kingston 2x512MB DDR PC3200 Dual Channel 3-3-3-8
Video Card(s) EVGA Nvidia 7900GT KO Superclocked
Storage 2xSeagate Barracuda 7200.8/9 160GB SATAII NCQ in RAID0: 300GB total capacity
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster 941BW (19" widescreen, 1440x900)
Case Antec P180B
Audio Device(s) Built in. 5.1Ch Logitech Z-5500 500w soundsystem, digital Coax connection
Power Supply Spire 500W
Software Windows Vista Ultimate
thats weird. just pure speculation, but maybe some of your parts are wearing out. doesn't overclocking equiptment shorten their lives? so maybe if its been overclocked for awhile....

but who knows. might have been a power surge. or the little evil demons that live within the deap realms of the chipset.

Alec§taar

Someone who's going to find NewTekie1 and teach hi
Processor DualCore AMD Athlon 64x2 4800+ (o/c 2801mhz STABLE (Ketxxx, POGE, Tatty One, ME))
Motherboard ASUS A8N-SLI Premium (PCIe x16, x4, x1)
Cooling PhaseChange Coolermaster CM754/939 (fan/heatsink), Thermalright heatspreaders + fan built on (RAM)
Memory 512mb PC-3200 DDR400 (set DDR-33 for o/c) by Corsair (matched pair, 2x256mb) 200.1/200mhz
Video Card(s) BFG GeForce 7900 GTX OC 512mb GDDR3 ram (o/c manually to 686 core/865 memory) - PhaseChange cooled
Storage Dual "Raptor X" 16mb 10krpm/RAID 0 Promise EX8350 x4 PCIe 128mb & Intel IO chip/CENATEK RocketDrive
Display(s) SONY 19" Trinitron MultiScan 400ps 1600x1200 75hz refresh 32-bit color
Case Antec Super-LanBoy (aluminum baby-tower w/ lower front & upper rear cooling exhaust fans)
Audio Device(s) RealTek AC97 onboard mobo stereo sound (Altec Lansing ACS-45 speakers - 10 yrs. still running!)
Power Supply Antec 500w ATX 2.0 "SmartPower" powersupply
Software Windows Server 2003 SP #1 fully patched, & massively tuned/tweaked to-the-max (plus latest drivers)
so then it says windows has recovered from serious error, yadda yadda

By any chance? Can you get the STOPCODE/ERRORLEVEL you saw, the 0x0000 (or entire message) here?

There are times that specific info. actually helps!

The hardware's talked thru, thru drivers, & the HAL... could be "bum drivers" or too much o/c even, so - could be software, OR hardware too.

APK

P.S.=> That's a pretty good one, but if you get a stopcode? We can dig a bit more... possibly! apk

i_am_mustang_man

Processor AMD X2 AM2+
Memory 2GB DDR2
Video Card(s) 7900gto
Display(s) 26" 1920x1200
Case Antec Nine Hundred
Audio Device(s) OnBoard
Software Vista Ultimate
MSOFT said:
United States *

Microsoft.com Home | Site Map
Microsoft *
Search Microsoft.com for:
Help and Support
Help and Support Home | Select a Product | Search Knowledge Base
Search Support(KB)

Switch to Advanced Search
Article Translations

Related Support Centers
• Windows XP
Other Support Options
• Contact Microsoft
Phone Numbers, Support Options and Pricing, Online Help, and more.
• Customer Service
For non-technical assistance with product purchases, subscriptions, online services, events, training courses, corporate sales, piracy issues, and more.
• Newsgroups
Pose a question to other users. Discussion groups and Forums about specific Microsoft products, technologies, and services.
Page Tools
Print this page Print this page
E-mail this page E-mail this page
Microsoft Worldwide Microsoft Worldwide
Save to My Support Favorites Save to My Support Favorites
Go to My Support Favorites Go to My Support Favorites
Send Feedback Send Feedback
Sign in to the Microsoft Passport Network
STOP: 0x0000009C (0x00000004, 0x00000000, 0xb2000000, 0x00020151) ...
View products that this article applies to.
Article ID : 329284
Last Review : January 27, 2006
Revision : 1.5
This article was previously published under Q329284
For a Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 and Microsoft Windows 2000 version of this article, see 162363 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/162363/).
SYMPTOMS
You may receive the following Stop error message:
STOP: 0x0000009C (0x00000004, 0x00000000, 0xb2000000, 0x00020151)
"MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION"
The four parameters inside the parentheses may vary.
Back to the top Back to the top
CAUSE
This behavior occurs because your computer processor detected and reported an unrecoverable hardware error to Windows XP. To do this, the processor used the Machine Check Exception (MCE) feature of Pentium processors or the Machine Check Architecture (MCA) feature of some Pentium Pro processors. The following factors may cause this error message:
• System bus errors
• Memory errors that may include parity or Error Correction Code (ECC) problems
• Cache errors in the processor or hardware
• Translation Lookaside Buffers (TLB) errors in the processor
• Other CPU-vendor specific detected hardware problems
• Vendor-specific detected hardware problems
STATUS
This behavior is by design.
MORE INFORMATION
A machine check exception occurs when Windows XP and your hardware platform cannot recover from a hardware error so that the system can continue to run successfully and reliably. More specific diagnosis of machine check exceptions is difficult, and there is no general solution. Contact your hardware manufacturer or a computer hardware technician for help with troubleshooting this issue.

Machine check exceptions are frequently caused by one of the following conditions:
• You are running the processor or mainboard beyond its specifications. For example, you are overclocking the processor or bus. We recommend that you run your hardware at the manufacturer-rated speeds.
• Noisy power, overstressed power strips, outmatched power supplies and failing power supplies can destabilize your computer. Make sure that you have a stable, reliable power supply to your computer.
• Extreme thermal conditions caused by the failure of cooling devices such as fans may damage your computer. Make sure that your cooling devices are all working.
• You have damaged memory or memory that is not the correct type for your computer. If you recently changed the memory configuration, revert to the previous configuration to determine what is wrong. Make sure that you are using the correct memory for your computer.
Note Your hardware may support additional error logging features that capture the machine check exception and suggest a more specific solution.

The Pentium and Pentium Pro processors provide a mechanism to detect and to report hardware-related problems such as memory parity errors and cache errors. To signal a hardware error, the processor signals the detection of a machine check error by generating a machine check exception (Interrupt 18). Windows XP reports that the error occurred and displays parameters that you can use to decode the exception. Contact your hardware vendor or processor manufacturer for information about the Machine Check Architecture, or see the Intel Pentium Pro Family Developer's Manual - Volume 3: Operating System Writer's Manual.
APPLIES TO
• Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
• Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Keywords:
kberrmsg kbprb kbprod2web KB329284

Manage Your Profile |Contact Us
© 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. Terms of Use |Trademarks |Privacy Statement

i think that's it

but the message itself may have different

Alec§taar

Processor DualCore AMD Athlon 64x2 4800+ (o/c 2801mhz STABLE (Ketxxx, POGE, Tatty One, ME))
Cooling PhaseChange Coolermaster CM754/939 (fan/heatsink), Thermalright heatspreaders + fan built on (RAM)
Memory 512mb PC-3200 DDR400 (set DDR-33 for o/c) by Corsair (matched pair, 2x256mb) 200.1/200mhz
Video Card(s) BFG GeForce 7900 GTX OC 512mb GDDR3 ram (o/c manually to 686 core/865 memory) - PhaseChange cooled
Storage Dual "Raptor X" 16mb 10krpm/RAID 0 Promise EX8350 x4 PCIe 128mb & Intel IO chip/CENATEK RocketDrive
Display(s) SONY 19" Trinitron MultiScan 400ps 1600x1200 75hz refresh 32-bit color
Case Antec Super-LanBoy (aluminum baby-tower w/ lower front & upper rear cooling exhaust fans)
Audio Device(s) RealTek AC97 onboard mobo stereo sound (Altec Lansing ACS-45 speakers - 10 yrs. still running!)
Software Windows Server 2003 SP #1 fully patched, & massively tuned/tweaked to-the-max (plus latest drivers)
i think that's it

but the message itself may have different

It's always the same on that stopcode... so, I/we have to ask: Are you overclocking that machine, OR running it in EXTREMELY "hot" weather conditions?

A RAM test of somekind might not be a "bad idea" here, either...

This is looking more & more like PURE HARDWARE...

APK

i_am_mustang_man

Processor AMD X2 AM2+
Memory 2GB DDR2
Video Card(s) 7900gto
Display(s) 26" 1920x1200
Case Antec Nine Hundred
Audio Device(s) OnBoard
Software Vista Ultimate
i think i should run a ram test, cuz my ram isn't great, but it's clocked below 200mhz! idk tho

and yea, its overclocked, but it was running 260x10 before, no prob, and now it's at 270x9 (been there for a a week and a half tho, this is the first crash)

Alec§taar

i think i should run a ram test, cuz my ram isn't great, but it's clocked below 200mhz! idk tho

I don't know either, but apparently, the OS is warning you that something, hardware-wise, is definitely "wrong" somehow...

I would cut the o/c out you note below:

and yea, its overclocked, but it was running 260x10 before, no prob, and now it's at 270x9 (been there for a a week and a half tho, this is the first crash)

If it isn't CONSISTENT, then you may have just hit it once & that's it... but, still, I would consider the RAM test noted above & cutting out that high of an o/c @ least, if not all together.

APK

AshenSugar

Processor Athlon64 3500+(2.2gz)@2.94gz(3.03gz)
Motherboard Biostar Tforce550 (RMA) (m2n-sli delux)
Cooling PIB cooler
Memory 2gb ocz 533 +1gb samsung 533 4-4-4-12
Video Card(s) x1900xtx 512mb+zalman vf900 cooler(kicks stock coolers arse)
Storage 80gb,200gb,250gb,160gb
Display(s) 20.1 in dell 2001fp + KDS visual sensations 19"
Case Codegen briza seirse
Audio Device(s) ADI SoundMax HD audio onboard,using Ket's driver pack
Power Supply FSP 400watt SAGA seirse w/noise killer
Software Windows 2003 ent server as workstation(kills xp in perf and stab)
your making sure to keep the HTT below 2000 correct?

hardware error reports from windows tend to be due to to high an overclock for eather the cpu or board, run systool for at lest 24hrs see if it gets a error on the cpu stress test.

thats weird. just pure speculation, but maybe some of your parts are wearing out. doesn't overclocking equiptment shorten their lives? so maybe if its been overclocked for awhile....

but who knows. might have been a power surge. or the little evil demons that live within the deap realms of the chipset.

this is primarly a fable started by intel, properly cooled chips wont die any sooner from overclocking then they would at normal clocks, a64 chips will spew errors b4 they take any damnage due to heat.
intel use to say how horrid overclocking was and have people tell storys about meltdowns and such(intel was caught having ppl do this once)

i have overclocked for years, my first oc was a 386dx40+cyrix math unit, stock 40mhz, overclocked to 50mhz(changed cpu clock crystle)

i have a k6-2 and k6-3 both rated at 400mhz both at 550mhz been running since late 90's like that

have 1700+ athlonxp running at 2.3gz for years now under constand server use(database/web/work server)

2600+ axp's at 2300mhz, few years no stab issues at all.

my my a64' are overclocked at least a little bit as well :)

overclocking is safe as long as you follow the proper rules AND do it properly for the perticular systems your on, a64 is a little more complex for overclocking then intel, but the benifits are HUGE when done properly, a 2gz chip can be clocked to over 2.7gz making it faster then the fastest chip amd is selling, my chips at 2.7 in this box, my buddys got a chip thats stock 1.8gz he managed to get to 3.2gz on air, never goes over 48c even on hot days, thats a HUGE overclock, yet its ROCK stable and fast dispite small cache.

so in summery: no proper clocking wont make your cpu die any faster then it would have anyway, heat is what kills chips not clocks.

i_am_mustang_man: try backing it back down to 265 see if that helps, it may help, if so your board may not be locking something properly or you may not be setting htt devider or such properly.
you may also need to set the ram to 2t sometimes a64 mem controlers get wonky at high clocks with low latancys.

System Name Dell XPS 15 9560
Processor I7-7700HQ
Memory 32GB DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1050/1080 Ti
Storage 1TB SSD
Display(s) 2x Dell P2715Q/4k Internal
Case Razer Core
Audio Device(s) Creative E5/Objective 2 Amp/Senn HD650
Mouse Logitech Proteus Core
Keyboard Logitech G910
Im betting slightly unstable CPU, and you managed to find a time where it just gave up.

Check the windows error logs to get the stop code, not the M$ webpage.

If it shows a BSOD, its usually memory or Chipset, blank restart is generally CPU related.

System Name money pit..
Processor Intel 9900K 4.8 at 1.152 core voltage minus 0.120 offset
Motherboard Asus rog Strix Z370-F Gaming
Cooling Dark Rock TF air cooler.. Stock vga air coolers with case side fans to help cooling..
Memory 32 gb corsair vengeance 3200
Video Card(s) Palit Gaming Pro OC 2080TI
Storage 150 nvme boot drive partition.. 1T Sandisk sata.. 1T Transend sata.. 1T 970 evo nvme m 2..
Display(s) 27" Asus PG279Q ROG Swift 165Hrz Nvidia G-Sync, IPS.. 2560x1440..
Case Gigabyte mid-tower.. cheap and nothing special..
Audio Device(s) onboard sounds with stereo amp..
Power Supply EVGA 850 watt..
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech K270
Software Win 10 pro..
Benchmark Scores Firestike 29500.. timepsy 14000..
"Im betting slightly unstable CPU"

yep not much doubt at all.. slightly unstable cos it only does it once week.. but still unstable..

u could just leave it.. give it bit more core voltage or simply slow it down a bit..

trog

ps.. by the way shout "eureka".. u have just discovered the true test for a stable system.. yours isnt.. he he he

Ketxxx

Heedless Psychic
System Name Ravens Talon
Processor AMD R7 3700X @ 4.4GHz 1.3v
Motherboard MSI X570 Tomahawk
Cooling Modded 240mm Coolermaster Liquidmaster
Memory 2x16GB Klevv BoltX 3600MHz & custom timings
Video Card(s) Powercolor 6800XT Red Devil
Storage 250GB Asgard SSD, 1TB Integral SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda
Display(s) 27" BenQ Mobiuz
Case NZXT Phantom 530
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar DX 7.1 PCI-E
Power Supply 1000w Supernova
Software Windows 10 x64
Benchmark Scores Fast. I don't need epeen.
I'll have to say a flat out restart looks like fluctuating vcore or not enough vcore. see if you can mimic the error by playing a very intensive game like Quake 4. If it does it again, its time to raise that vcore a few places, if it doesnt, ignore it. Non ECC RAM typically will have a single error every 750hrs or so of use.

System Name money pit..
Cooling Dark Rock TF air cooler.. Stock vga air coolers with case side fans to help cooling..
Storage 150 nvme boot drive partition.. 1T Sandisk sata.. 1T Transend sata.. 1T 970 evo nvme m 2..
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech K270
Software Win 10 pro..
classic mistake again thow.. just cos the system stands a few prime runs or whatever it must be stable..

the only real test is use it for a week or two.. and the odd random restart while doing bugger all except clicking about in windows is a classic symptom of a system on the edge..

trog

i_am_mustang_man

Processor AMD X2 AM2+
Memory 2GB DDR2
Video Card(s) 7900gto
Display(s) 26" 1920x1200
Case Antec Nine Hundred
Audio Device(s) OnBoard
Software Vista Ultimate
the thing is, that no one is realizing, is that i ran the processor at 2.6ghz for months, put it to 2.43, and then in a week and a half it crashed. it doesn't do this every week, it's never done this before. i want the problem to reoccur to see if i can find more info, so i'm leaving it as it is and letting it fold in the meantime.

secondly, i don't think running anything intensive will make it quit, because i gamed with oblivion last night, and nary a blip. it crashed when nothing was happening. maybe something is bad, maybe my cpu, but the vcore is plenty high (1.4 stock, at 1.5, i've done this before, it's fine like this. it loads at 39C at 2.43ghz and 1.5V vcore)

i think i may reformat my harddrive, but i have a question for people about licenses then, and i'll start a new thread if the people who know aren't in this thread - i have a license on the back of my machine from emachines (what i've built off of (only hdd, xp license, and cpu are left in my machine), if i reformat the drive and reinstall windows on a different drive than the 80gb ide one from emachines (like my nice 250gb sata2 drive...) will it work as long as i have an actual xp home disc?

System Name money pit..
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech K270
Software Win 10 pro..
if its only ever done it once u are creating a problem that dosnt exists..

get on with your life and put it down to a simple fluke happening..

if it starts to happen on a regular basis start to worry about it..

trog

i_am_mustang_man

Processor AMD X2 AM2+
Memory 2GB DDR2
Video Card(s) 7900gto
Display(s) 26" 1920x1200
Case Antec Nine Hundred
Audio Device(s) OnBoard
Software Vista Ultimate
thats what i was thinking but i was wondering if anybody knew more about. questions are asked to learn more

System Name money pit..
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech K270
Software Win 10 pro..
they are yes.. but it needs more than one random reboot for anything other than the "fluke" factor to be ruled out..

so far we have a "fluke".. flukes by their very nature are inexplicable.. we aint gonna learn much except wierd things sometimes happen..

one thing to learn thow is that instabilities can show up just with a mouse click in windows.. it matches my recent machine and its tweaking.. i kept the core down as low as possible ran the machine for a few days it played games and ran the 3dmarks.. i thought i had it right..

but after about five days a simple right click and copy in windows produced an instant reboot.. nearly there but not quite..

being as i was running a low core voltage anyways i just gave it a little more... problem solved.. but my real answer to instability is to run at least 5% below known instability speeds..

any system nearer to the instability point than say 5% cant really be considered long term stable..

i know my machine is stable at 3.2 gigs.. but to make really sure i run it at 3 gig.. random reboots are a sign of system (mostly hardware) instability.. your system will probably do it again..

but if u want to pin it down.. speed a few things up one at a time and reproduce the fault.. make it happen more often and u might find out what it is..

trog

AshenSugar

Processor Athlon64 3500+(2.2gz)@2.94gz(3.03gz)
Motherboard Biostar Tforce550 (RMA) (m2n-sli delux)
Cooling PIB cooler
Memory 2gb ocz 533 +1gb samsung 533 4-4-4-12
Video Card(s) x1900xtx 512mb+zalman vf900 cooler(kicks stock coolers arse)
Storage 80gb,200gb,250gb,160gb
Display(s) 20.1 in dell 2001fp + KDS visual sensations 19"
Case Codegen briza seirse
Audio Device(s) ADI SoundMax HD audio onboard,using Ket's driver pack
Power Supply FSP 400watt SAGA seirse w/noise killer
Software Windows 2003 ent server as workstation(kills xp in perf and stab)
lower the hht multi to 3x as long as you kep it 600 or higher(total after dubbling) you wont see any perf loss.

so 300x3=900=1800 total hht, so anything below 300 and your set for sure with hht clocks, thats a common problem, set ram to 2t insted of 1t(command per clock dissabled) then wait and see if it helps.

System Name money pit..
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech K270
Software Win 10 pro..
the problem with the "waiting" appoach with slight instability is u have to wait too long..

the only sensible (practical) way isnt to slow things down.. its to speeds things up.. get to the point u can reproduce the fault at will.. find the exact instability point of each piece of the puzzle..

then use the 5% rule.. 10% if u want to be really sure of stability..

trog

System Name Half-fucked overclockedd
Processor Intel Core i7 2600k 3.40Ghz @ 4.20Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte P67 UD7 B3
Cooling Antec Kuhler H2O 920
Memory G.Skill RipjawsX DDR3 8GB X2 1866Mhz (Model F3-2133C9D-16GXH)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti Extreme Edition
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB / Western Digital Black Cavier 2TB X2
Display(s) Dell U2715H 2560X1440
Case NZXT Phantom
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster Recon3D Fatal1ty Professional
Power Supply Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 1000W
Mouse Logitech G510
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur Spectrum
Software Microsoft Windows 10 Professional
By the time the second one comes i think its 6months down the road. And thats where you wont even have the chance to probably even boot up due to a dead CPU.

i_am_mustang_man

Processor AMD X2 AM2+
Memory 2GB DDR2
Video Card(s) 7900gto
Display(s) 26" 1920x1200
Case Antec Nine Hundred
Audio Device(s) OnBoard
Software Vista Ultimate
just a quick follow up - i am pretty sure the cpu became unstable, cuz it started to happen more and more. i lowered the cpu to 2500, and it crashed after a week. it was @ 2450 for a while, and didn't crash in like a week and half. i have since changed proccys, so whatever, but i just wanted to post what i thought i resolved it with. thanks!

System Name Dell XPS 15 9560
Processor I7-7700HQ
Memory 32GB DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1050/1080 Ti
Storage 1TB SSD
Display(s) 2x Dell P2715Q/4k Internal
Case Razer Core
Audio Device(s) Creative E5/Objective 2 Amp/Senn HD650
Mouse Logitech Proteus Core
Keyboard Logitech G910
just a quick follow up - i am pretty sure the cpu became unstable, cuz it started to happen more and more. i lowered the cpu to 2500, and it crashed after a week. it was @ 2450 for a while, and didn't crash in like a week and half. i have since changed proccys, so whatever, but i just wanted to post what i thought i resolved it with. thanks!

We @ work have had many "sudden restarts" where the event viewer provides no insight to the problem. Not a driver, and hardware doesn't repeat itself. Yet it never restarts itself again, suddenly.

Hardware isnt perfect. it does error occasionally ;)