• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Random freezes and extremely slow copy-paste speeds Windows 7

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
@agent_x007 Thanks! That was some of the most useful advice given on this thread! I have thought about replacing the CPU. In the manual, it does't say that it supports quad core processors and I think it won't. I had done a search and found that not all the boards of this type support even all of the core 2 duo chipsets. I could get E8500, E8400 or E7500 for very cheap and I wouldn't mind trying out one of them; just hope it would work.
1) Checked with two other cables and different power connectors, not the problem.
2) Checked with multiple programs, nothing found.
3) Just did a reinstall - I don't know what you mean by 'disabling Windows Update service'. I updated all the items shown in windows update except windows malware removal tool and then disabled auto updates if that's what you meant.

@dorsetknob Thanks for the offer but I think I will stay with this one. Don't want to give anyone nightmares with those old pics. And besides, don't want to bother the main admin. He must be having enough to deal with already.

@Hood This is the way to go for me then, for now. Would it matter if I just removed the RAM and GPU and then sprayed it all over the mobo? I can spray it on the other side of the mobo too by opening the other side of the cabinet but would it still be as effective without removing anything else before spraying it? My worst fear is that I might try to do something like this I don't know and it all stops working altogether. I am thinking of just getting a WD-40 can and getting someone to just come and meticulously clean it after dismantling it and then reassembling it all again. I might even get the CPU replaced along with. What do you think?

@Mussels "brand with a few variants"? Thanks for letting me know that. I thought there was only this one. I think I might have to go to an actual store searching for it rather than just ordering it online. "electrical cleaner" I'll remember that.

@eidairaman1 Nice video. So the way he sprayed it, is that enough to get to all the contacts and 'dissolve the dust'?

Thanks a lot for all the replies guys. Really appreciate it!

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
@agent_x007 Thanks! That was some of the most useful advice given on this thread! I have thought about replacing the CPU. In the manual, it does't say that it supports quad core processors and I think it won't. I had done a search and found that not all the boards of this type support even all of the core 2 duo chipsets. I could get E8500, E8400 or E7500 for very cheap and I wouldn't mind trying out one of them; just hope it would work.
1) Checked with two other cables and different power connectors, not the problem.
2) Checked with multiple programs, nothing found.
3) Just did a reinstall - I don't know what you mean by 'disabling Windows Update service'. I updated all the items shown in windows update except windows malware removal tool and then disabled auto updates if that's what you meant.

@dorsetknob Thanks for the offer but I think I will stay with this one. Don't want to give anyone nightmares with those old pics. And besides, don't want to bother the main admin. He must be having enough to deal with already.

@Hood This is the way to go for me then, for now. Would it matter if I just removed the RAM and GPU and then sprayed it all over the mobo? I can spray it on the other side of the mobo too by opening the other side of the cabinet but would it still be as effective without removing anything else before spraying it? My worst fear is that I might try to do something like this I don't know and it all stops working altogether. I am thinking of just getting a WD-40 can and getting someone to just come and meticulously clean it after dismantling it and then reassembling it all again. I might even get the CPU replaced along with. What do you think?

@Mussels "brand with a few variants"? Thanks for letting me know that. I thought there was only this one. I think I might have to go to an actual store searching for it rather than just ordering it online. "electrical cleaner" I'll remember that.

@eidairaman1 Nice video. So the way he sprayed it, is that enough to get to all the contacts and 'dissolve the dust'?

Thanks a lot for all the replies guys. Really appreciate it!

You can concentrate the spray to other areas, after cleaning a part I would give it a shake and then blast with air.

Okay! So, where do I begin?? First of all, really really sorry for taking so long to post some update on this. But some other things have been keeping me occupied and then when I wanted to concentrate on this, I couldn't get anybody. They all wanted me to bring it to them. After contacting almost everyone in the vicinity, I finally found someone who agreed to come and take it with him. I mentioned to everyone I contacted that it needs to be cleaned with the WD-40 spray probably and some of them said that they have been doing this for a long time and it doesn't matter if you use that spray or not. Maybe the climatic conditions here don't make it worth using idk.

Anyway, so I told this guy who agreed to come and take it that there is this hang issue with it especially while copy-pasting. He examined it and said that the 'capacitors' were damaged. There were four that needed replacement. He removed them from an old mobo, checked some writing on them and then soldered them on this one. But it didn't work! The mobo was damaged in the process somehow and so he replaced my Maxtone 945gc HIS with an old Gigabyte 945GZM-S2. He said that it was better than the one I had. I had gone to his workshop that day and brought back my hdd and left everything else there. He checked everything with his own hdd and said that it was working. So I went with my hdd and checked the copy-pastes and video playback and it was all working well so I brought it back. The only issue I faced later was that there was one out of the two front usb working perfectly before he took it and now, somehow it does not support even a pen drive, a keyboard, or a mouse. BUT, when I connect an external hdd with dedicated power supply, it works flawlessly. I contacted him and also some others about this and asked them if the usb could be replaced and they all said that it can't be and I will have to replace the cabinet in order to be able to use the front usb as before. Anyway, so I checked with the two usb hubs I had to see what I could do. The one I had of transcend with a long wire could support the keyboard and mouse plus a 1tb portable hdd and not a 2tb portable even without anything else so I connected the keyboard and mouse to it and have kept it near the front usb to be able to use it quickly. The other amkette usb hub I had, supported 2tb hdd perfectly so I have kept it connected to the back where I can reach without moving the entire desk.

About RAM; at the workshop I took my other two ram sticks too and after checking, it was concluded that both of those ram sticks had failed and after blowing all the dust out probably, the second RAM slot was working too. He told me the same thing to add more RAM. I asked him if he had any and he said he only had new and quoted a high price for it. So I didn't get it from him and after bringing back the system home, I ordered a 2GB RAM stick and put it in. I ordered a new one from prime but still got a refurbished one. I called and told them about it and they were non-reluctant to get me a refund after a pickup which was scheduled. But, after searching for a brand new stick that would work in my system, I found from the comments and pictures that ALL of them were selling them as new but they were actually refurbished. The one which I received though was working and it was also one of the cheapest ones. I even did a sytem ram test and the results showed nothing wrong with it so I decided to keep it and canceled the return. The usable memory now is about 3.25GB. I did some searches and found that it is higher than what I should be getting so, that's that.

About formatting; I had wanted to start using the old 250gb wd blue drive again for a long time since I didn't want to lose the data on the 2tb wd green but the older system hadn't allowed me to do it by failing to install even windows xp. Previously, it showed distorted colors at the os installation screens and in safe mode too which it didn't now. So with this replaced motherboard and more ram, I tried again. My dvd drive has been broken for years so I had to do it by creating a bootable usb drive with the official windows tool. However, it didn't just get installed so easily. First, I had to connect the two internal drives then boot it up normally. Then when it booted up, it recognized it and stuff and asked me to do a restart. After the restart, I formatted it and created the desired partitions on wd blue. Then I inserted the bootable pen drive and began the windows reinstallation process from inside that pen drive. I selected the wd blue and did everything till there were two installed os showing. Then I removed the wd green and changed the first boot device from bios and then installed it on the wd blue after wiping it clean before installing. That's how I got a new spotless reinstall of windows without a using dvd drive. It would have been easier buying a used dvd drive just for this purpose. Anyway, so the win7 ultimate was reinstalled and I installed all the latest updates dating till 'yesterday'. They took LOTS of space though. It was only about 10-11GB without them but became nearly25GB after them. After that, I installed all the softwares I needed and its all working great!

Copy-paste speeds and overall performance are much better on wd blue than green I think. However, rarely now, sometimes the pc stops responding altogether and it doesn't come back so I have to press the restart button as the only option. Another issue I had that wasn't resolved after everything is of 'The display driver has stopped working and has recovered'. I am using nvidia gts450. I did a search about it and have added the TdrDelay setting in registry and did a restart soon afterwards. It hasn't happened ever since. Hopefully, the driver stopped responding and rare freezing are both solved by TdrDelay.

The computer has become much better and faster. I tried installing some android emulators but they require 'virtualization' to work well which my processor does not support. The refurbished E8500 being sold can do it I guess. Apart from that and the usb situation, it is all working nicely.

System Name Scrapped Parts, Unite !
Processor Ryzen 5 3600 @4.0 Ghz
Motherboard MSI B450-A Pro MAX
Cooling Stock
Memory Team Group Elite 16 GB 3133Mhz
Video Card(s) Colorful iGame GeForce GTX1060 Vulcan U 6G
Storage Hitachi 500 GB, Sony 1TB, KINGSTON 400A 120GB // Samsung 160 GB
Display(s) HP 2009f
Case Xigmatek Asgard Pro // Cooler Master Centurion 5
Power Supply OCZ ModXStream Pro 500 W
Mouse Logitech G102
Software Windows 10 x64
Benchmark Scores Minesweeper 30fps, Tetris 40 fps, with overheated CPU and GPU

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Sorry to say but for your situation, take it to the shop if trouble arises again.

Yeah I will have to. Also, while searching for this and all, I found a really good and cheap processor called G4560. It plays 4k videos! Probably my next phone will have 4k video recording and so I will need a system capable of handling that too. I have started thinking about building a system around this processor. Hopefully, it won't become weaker with time and hopefully, I won't have to add a 4k supporting graphics card to it too soon.

Its still broken :(! The computer just randomly freezes. Mostly while I'm browsing but I have some tabs open always so idk. After freezing, it doesn't even reboot properly. It gets stuck on the motherboard screen when its loading RAM and sometimes after it has detected RAM, it gets stuck on loading IDE drives. Pressing the restart button does not help and I have to disconnect power completely and then switch it on again. Then it shows some Checksum error and loads defaults and I have to press F1 to continue. Also, the keyboard and mouse keep getting disabled and I have to keep turning them on again and again that is, if it lets me get there. Without enabling the keyboard, it goes to system repair automatically as its pre-selected and I cannot use the keyboard without enabling it first but it never loads that. After the microsoft loading screen, I am just stuck at a black screen and nothing happens. It is becoming really annoying. What seems to be the problem now?? Should I just buy a new motherboard or order a higher processor?

Okay so I have done some research about checksum error and found that its maybe about the battery on the mobo. So should I try replacing that? I found some "CR2032 3V Coin Cell Batteries" Will these work on this Gigabyte GA-945GZM-S2?

Checksum errors are fixed! I luckily found a coin cell from a remote I didn't use and used it as replacement. So no more checksum errors! The bios settings remain saved even after I completely disconnect the power supply; time and date aren't forgotten and even startup has become faster. I also switched where the front usb was connected to the mobo and it magically started accepting 2tb portable hdds too. But, the adata hdd caused some problems unlike the wd passport. When I connected them both to the back, they both worked perfectly though. I was seriously thinking about buying another usb hub so I didn't have to stand up to connect them everytime but then I thought about just a usb extender because I generally connect just one at a time unless I am switching backups between drives and I won't connect two portables to one hub at a time anyway so just a usb extender made perfect sense and I searched for it and found it. Before that, I was looking at cabinets online and thinking which fan would fit where and how many came with the cabinet and how many I needed and what not. But now just this one cable would really save me all the unnecessary distress. However, about the hang issue there are still some problems. It could be that I was playing the video from the front usb or that the adata doesn't perform optimally when connected there or some graphics card issue probably. There was a small glitch in the audio when playing a video from the adata when connected to the front and then it all just hanged! The same video was causing the same kind of problem with wmp too but it played perfectly when copied to the internal hdd so idk. So I better not use the front usb to avoid any sort of data corruption I guess. It also hangs while browsing some video sites and now, it doesn't just reboot if I press the restart button but I have to actually remove the power connection from the back and switch it on to get it back working again. I have no idea what to do. Should I get a new cheap graphics card?
By the way, on this motherboard the audio volume is somewhat lower than my previous one. Although through microsoft updates, they did install some drivers I think but maybe not audio. There are jacks for 7.1 channel audio but I only use headphones most of the time and the sounds system also only has a 3.5mm connector only so I don't need them! Anyway, so I hadn't installed Nvidia audio drivers either when I installed it right after formatting but they probably wouldn't have done anything because they only come into play with hdmi I suppose. So, I looked up and installed Realtek audio drivers. It failed at first but after running it as administrator the second time, they got installed and after tweaking the settings a bit, I got decently loud enough sound through the old philips headphones. I had been wanting to buy better headphones for some time and now was the perfect time since the sound still wasn't loud and good enough so I searched for some headphones and found ones from Superlux that would give me good sound and don't cost more than my whole cpu either. So, I ordered them and they will be arriving tomorrow. Hopefully, the volume levels will be up to the expectations.

i havn't gone thru the whole thread but if copy paste speed is an issue it must be an HDD issue or very small files like many small torrent files u trying to copy from one disk to another
check HDD health in hdtune;p
i dont use antivirus so sorry....if u can flash new OS installation will be advisable
RAM cannot simply create any issue as i've personally used 1GB (still has) system as my downloading movie watching and light gaming machine. (E5200 coreduo :p)

EDIT- i always use windows 7 nothing else in case u wanna know

Thanks for the reply! The copy paste issue is completely solved and it wasn't about small or big files. I had already checked the hdd with hdsentinel but I used your suggested software to check it again anyway and it didn't show any problems. Enough RAM at least seems to be in place. I have never switched to anything else after windows 7 too. Honestly, I hate that phone/tablet like windows 10 interface. I had even watched various introduction to windows 8/8.1/10 videos at different points of time and it never convinced me to get it. Also, I read and heard that they removed the good old start button and then brought it back but didn't bring back its proper functionality. Windows 10 right now looks like a mac; all in my face and I detest it! I still cannot even stop thinking about the 'change folder view' button that was taken from the left in Vista and put to the far right! If all softwares still supported Vista, I would still be using that instead of windows 7. I still have Vista dvds. When nothing will support Windows 7 either then some day I will install Vista on some computer. I don't know much but that was a very nicely made os. I wasn't even switching to 7 until few softwares sadly stopped supporting Vista. Somebody on this thread earlier had told me that its WIndows 7 so its pretty secure by itself so I have toned down file shield in the avg free av I'm using. I have had some nightmares with viruses in the past so I just cannot live without an AV and a working firewall now.

Anyway, so about the incessantly persistent problems in my rig that I'm facing. Somehow, after I opened the case the last time, the computer doesn't respond to the small physical restart button and in settings, it only shows me the options of sleep/hibernate/do nothing. So now whenever the computer hangs, I have to remove the power chord that goes in the psu and then start again. However, in the most recent experience, the computer isn't hanging just the "Display Driver Stopped Responding and has Recovered". I am thinking about making another thread about it. It is really annoying but at least the pc isn't just completely hanging for now. Also, I really like thumbnails and vlc didn't provide them all to me and not quick enough either. Also I had been wanting to play 4k videos on my system somehow and vlc failed at it even after applying some tweaks. So I searched for some video players that could somehow give me some playback and came across Divx player on top of a few lists so I downloaded it and tried to play some 4k videos I had got but it wanted some codecs and on its official site, they were paid. I searched for alternatives and one of my favourites k-lite codecs showed up. They were one of the most essential things for me but after I had stopped getting feed from webcam at an earlier time, I was told that it was because of these codecs so I had stopped using them. But now since I don't have a webcam, I installed them. After installing them, I tried to play the 4k videos in Divx player. It didn't even get past the first frame so I uninstalled it right away. Then I tried it in media player classic and it was giving me decent audio but lagging extremely in video playback. Then I tried it in WMP and it gave me almost perfect audio and quite some bit of lag and stutter in the video but It Was Playing! This was More than I expected! I opened the task manager and saw that the cpu was maxing out. So, I think with my graphics card and a higher processor E8500, it could give me decent enough 4K video playback! Would like someone's thoughts on it. I am not some crazy gamer obsessed with frame rates and what not but still would like somebody's opinion on this.

About the headphones I had ordered, sorry to say but they were really bad! Maybe I received bad ones or something or they were just so terrible they were unusable for me idk. Who writes those stupid reviews? Even my old sturdy average headphones sounded MUCH better than these! So I returned them. Got the refund already. Also, after installing the k-lite codecs, I tweaked the audio output settings from its tool and have found that selecting 2.1 channel with 'Boost Center' gives the best results! I am going to stay with my current philips headphones for now. They have been amazing!

I think I am going to get an E8500 processor. I like to browse with a lot of tabs and it really pushes the processor. I even thought about overclocking this current E2200 but it seemed quite complicated and the settings wouldn't always make it work optimally so I haven't tried it yet but I have found some softwares that will do it for me like intel extreme tuning utility so I'll try with them and see if there's a noticeable difference.

Thanks for the reply! The copy paste issue is completely solved and it wasn't about small or big files. I had already checked the hdd with hdsentinel but I used your suggested software to check it again anyway and it didn't show any problems. Enough RAM at least seems to be in place. I have never switched to anything else after windows 7 too. Honestly, I hate that phone/tablet like windows 10 interface. I had even watched various introduction to windows 8/8.1/10 videos at different points of time and it never convinced me to get it. Also, I read and heard that they removed the good old start button and then brought it back but didn't bring back its proper functionality. Windows 10 right now looks like a mac; all in my face and I detest it! I still cannot even stop thinking about the 'change folder view' button that was taken from the left in Vista and put to the far right! If all softwares still supported Vista, I would still be using that instead of windows 7. I still have Vista dvds. When nothing will support Windows 7 either then some day I will install Vista on some computer. I don't know much but that was a very nicely made os. I wasn't even switching to 7 until few softwares sadly stopped supporting Vista. Somebody on this thread earlier had told me that its WIndows 7 so its pretty secure by itself so I have toned down file shield in the avg free av I'm using. I have had some nightmares with viruses in the past so I just cannot live without an AV and a working firewall now.

Anyway, so about the incessantly persistent problems in my rig that I'm facing. Somehow, after I opened the case the last time, the computer doesn't respond to the small physical restart button and in settings, it only shows me the options of sleep/hibernate/do nothing. So now whenever the computer hangs, I have to remove the power chord that goes in the psu and then start again. However, in the most recent experience, the computer isn't hanging just the "Display Driver Stopped Responding and has Recovered". I am thinking about making another thread about it. It is really annoying but at least the pc isn't just completely hanging for now. Also, I really like thumbnails and vlc didn't provide them all to me and not quick enough either. Also I had been wanting to play 4k videos on my system somehow and vlc failed at it even after applying some tweaks. So I searched for some video players that could somehow give me some playback and came across Divx player on top of a few lists so I downloaded it and tried to play some 4k videos I had got but it wanted some codecs and on its official site, they were paid. I searched for alternatives and one of my favourites k-lite codecs showed up. They were one of the most essential things for me but after I had stopped getting feed from webcam at an earlier time, I was told that it was because of these codecs so I had stopped using them. But now since I don't have a webcam, I installed them. After installing them, I tried to play the 4k videos in Divx player. It didn't even get past the first frame so I uninstalled it right away. Then I tried it in media player classic and it was giving me decent audio but lagging extremely in video playback. Then I tried it in WMP and it gave me almost perfect audio and quite some bit of lag and stutter in the video but It Was Playing! This was More than I expected! I opened the task manager and saw that the cpu was maxing out. So, I think with my graphics card and a higher processor E8500, it could give me decent enough 4K video playback! Would like someone's thoughts on it. I am not some crazy gamer obsessed with frame rates and what not but still would like somebody's opinion on this.

About the headphones I had ordered, sorry to say but they were really bad! Maybe I received bad ones or something or they were just so terrible they were unusable for me idk. Who writes those stupid reviews? Even my old sturdy average headphones sounded MUCH better than these! So I returned them. Got the refund already. Also, after installing the k-lite codecs, I tweaked the audio output settings from its tool and have found that selecting 2.1 channel with 'Boost Center' gives the best results! I am going to stay with my current philips headphones for now. They have been amazing!

I think I am going to get an E8500 processor. I like to browse with a lot of tabs and it really pushes the processor. I even thought about overclocking this current E2200 but it seemed quite complicated and the settings wouldn't always make it work optimally so I haven't tried it yet but I have found some softwares that will do it for me like intel extreme tuning utility so I'll try with them and see if there's a noticeable difference.

yea true overclocking older processor doesn't make sense at all as these cost hardly $5 get a quad core if u can
defrag the drive it may help a lil
antivirus as i said i simply hate so u can disable it while watching movies
one more imp note.... check with the old software version as they were lightweight.
things like startup, windows gadgets slow down my personal system.

I don't think a quad core would work on my Gigabyte GA-945GZM-S2 motherboard. It supports Core 2 Extreme at the most. I don't know what core 2 extreme is but I can alternatively buy a Core 2 Quad Q6600 8M Cache 2.40 GHz 1066 MHz FSB OEM Tray instead of Core 2 Duo E8500 Dual-Core Processor 3.16 GHz 6M L2 Cache 1333MHz FSB LGA775 - Tray OEM.

I have overclocked my current E2200. I installed an official motherboard OC software. I have overclocked the FSB to "255"mhz at the moment. It was working well without having to increase voltage up to 263mhz but then I read that these cpus generally max out at 2.8Ghz so I stopped there. Do I need to increase the voltage at this speed?? I have already done some stability tests in Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool and it passed. I am also monitoring the cpu temperatures with HWMonitor. They are stable and nothing higher than usual. AVG free av was causing problems while installing these oc tools so I uninstalled it. I'm using Avira free now.

I am going to order a processor replacement soon as even the OC 2.8Ghz isn't really good enough so please tell me if my motherboard GA-945GZM-S2 will support Core 2 Quad Q6600 OR NOT?! And please also tell me if I can go on at these speeds of 255 without increasing the voltage of the cpu. Thanks a lot I really await some input.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
core 2 extreme is the old version of intels modern K chips, it just has an unlocked multiplier. They could come in dual or quad core variants.

Q6600 are great chips because they overclocked very easily, and in all honesty they still hold up quite well for non-gaming tasks.

Thanks a lot for replying. Sorry if my last comment didn't make much sense. But I read that at the most, my motherboard would support core 2 extreme and somehow, I found Q6600 when I searched for it. So, is that the same as a core 2 extreme?? The one I'm looking at as an alternative to E8500 is a 4 Core Q6600. So, will that one be supported by my motherboard? Or should I just take no chances and go with E8500? I could get E7500 for even cheaper but 6mb cache E8500 would be a more worthy upgrade.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
the extreme chips have an X in the name like the QX9650

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
I don't think a quad core would work on my Gigabyte GA-945GZM-S2 motherboard. It supports Core 2 Extreme at the most. I don't know what core 2 extreme is but I can alternatively buy a Core 2 Quad Q6600 8M Cache 2.40 GHz 1066 MHz FSB OEM Tray instead of Core 2 Duo E8500 Dual-Core Processor 3.16 GHz 6M L2 Cache 1333MHz FSB LGA775 - Tray OEM.
CPU support list: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-945GZM-S2-rev-66#support-cpu
depends on Motherboard revision, earlier boards should still support the same with a BIOS update.

Alright! But the one available doesn't have an X just Q6600. I read a lot olmost all of the questions posted at its page and on most questions, the sellers said that it will support any lga775 but when asked about will it work on "945", they said no but when asked if it will run on G45, they said it will! So I am so confused since my motherboard is GA-945GZM-S2. So, would it work or won't? Also, will I have to install windows all over again for it to be able to use all 4 cores?

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
Case Fractal Design R6
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
check that list for supported models

Q6600 has no X because its not an Xtreme model

no you will not have to reinstall windows

@Caring1 Okay! When I installed a few tools for overclocking, it said that my bios needed an update but I don't think it was able to update it though. When I see in system information, the bios version written there is 'Award Software International Inc. FG, 4/26/2007'. This processor was released in Q1 of 2007 and this bios was released after that so does it have the needed support for it or will I have to update it somehow and how?

@Mussels Okay thanks, understood!

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
The support list says Q6600 is NOT supported.
Dual core CPU's only, with 1066FSB.
I had a similar 945 board with the same issue, dual cores only.
READ THE SUPPORT LIST.
8500 and 7500 are not supported either.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
Case Fractal Design R6
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
looks like an E6700 is the best you can get if you stay with that board

What about E5800? Idk but that seems exactly like E8500.

I can't find E6700 anywhere

Okay I get it now. N/A means not supported! WIll try to find some that are but with this already being overclocked, don't know how much difference it would make.

Alright I found E6700 on a shopping site which delivers to me. It says there that its "3.2Ghz 2mb cache" just like on the intel website BUT on the Official Gigabyte site, it says "2.66GHz and 4MB cache". What is this all about? I was almost going to order when I noticed it. Is that just a little mistake on Gigabyte website? Will it still support it?

Omg! So perhaps Pentium E6700 and Core 2 duo E6700 are different!

Okay, so the next option E6600 shows "2.4Ghz 4MB cache" on Intel and Gigabyte sites but it says only 2mb cache on the shopping website. Is that just a typing mistake or are there any other versions of E6600 too??

And will the 1mb to 4mb cache jump be making an enough difference in the performance?

Last edited:

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
Case Fractal Design R6
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
both websites could have faulty info to be honest, screw ups definitely happen on those smaller details.

E6700/E6600 is the best you can run
E5800 is unsupported
The Pentium chips are lower performance, so you dont want those

Okay, I have only one question left then. Is E6600 going to be a worthy upgrade to E2200? I have put it at stock speeds again since there was choppy playback in even normal files. So should I get one or wait a bit and a whole new rig instead later? I did a search and it showed only a little improvement over E2200