• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Random freezes for less than 1 second with buzzing sound

• Thread starter Deleted member 187243
  • Start date
Processor Intel Core i9 10980XE @ 4.7Ghz 1.2v
Motherboard ASUS Rampage VI Extreme Omega
Cooling EK-Velocity D-RGB, EK-CoolStream PE 360, XSPC TX240 Ultrathin, EK X-RES 140 Revo D5 RGB PWM
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB F4-3000C14D 64GB
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 OC WC
Storage M.2 990 Pro 1TB / 10TB WD RED Helium / 3x 860 2TB Evos
Display(s) Samsung Odyssey G7 28"
Case Corsair Obsidian 500D SE Modded
Power Supply Cooler Master V Series 1300W
Software Windows 11
Thanks for the suggestions.
I think that audio controller is out of the equation since I had the same issue with the pci-e souncard aswell as with the onboard audio chip. Concerning GPU memory, what tool can I use? Unigine benchmarks?

I would test another GPU if you have one you can lend it would be the easiest way.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Ground fault loop...

ghreyy

Ok, will try to borrow one from someone.

I searched the internet but can't seem to find any understandable statement about this thing. Sorry.
Hey, This post is pretty old, but i'm having the same issue. Did you fix it by any chance?

Antonios

Hi all,

I am experiencing the same. It happened from one day to another, there was only one windows update (but my laptop switched off due to battery) .
Sound distorts as the laptop freezes for 1/3 of a second. It happens whatever I do: moving the mouse in a circle and you can see a skip, youtube vid, as well as vids on vlc. Just annoying as I have a strong machine (Asus strix II, 2070).
I recently installed intel graphics command centre, as I was not happy with Asus configuration (too bright, whitewashed).
Any idea how to solve it?

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
Just an idea to throw out there after reading about sound cards being a possible cause, unplug any USB3 devices and use only the USB2 ports and test.

Processor 8700k
Motherboard Asus Rog Maximus X Hero
Cooling Ekwb Performance P360 kit +PE 240 Rad
Memory Corsair LPX 16 GB 3000 DDR4
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080 ti FTW3 (EKWB waterblocked)
Storage Samsung 970 Pro 512 Samsung 960 Evo 500 NVMe M-2, WD 1TB black
Display(s) Dell AW3418DW 34.1" (3440X1440) 120Hz G-Sync X2
Case Fractal Design R6 TG (Gunmetal)
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Logitech G910
Software Windows 10 Pro
There had been an issue with Win 10 earlier builds of the latest release that causes this exact same freezing issue. I had it until the last update, thought it was device issue, after the update it went away.

Side note, it didn't effect everyone, but there are several posts on the net about it.

Antonios

Just an idea to throw out there after reading about sound cards being a possible cause, unplug any USB3 devices and use only the USB2 ports and test.
Nothing is plugged into usb ports, it does the same with headset and without it.

There had been an issue with Win 10 earlier builds of the latest release that causes this exact same freezing issue. I had it until the last update, thought it was device issue, after the update it went away.

Side note, it didn't effect everyone, but there are several posts on the net about it.

Thanks, will look out for those posts. I rolled back to an earlier restore point (windows build) but the problem stayed.
I will reset windows and see how it goes.

Antonios

In the end I did not have to reinstal windows. I went to the update section, there were some updates ready to be installed, then restarted the pc and voila. My laptop was still lagging :) so I went to task manager, and I found one application that used some cpu, and when I turned it off it immediately sorted the problems out. No lagging, no freezing, no sound issues etc.
As I have an asus laptop, this was : Auto Connect Helper (service from Asus tek) but you might have another app that may interfere with Intel / microsoft programs.
Unfortunately, whenever I power up my laptop, it automatically comes back (it is not amongst the start up program) and I have to manually click on End Task in TM.

hope it will help somebody. cheers

robbedoes

I'm having exactly the same issues. No idea how it started, but it is always present when watching youtube videos. Did not see it in any games or applications. Gpu is out of the question, reinstalled w11 after w10 and now the buzz is a bit more annoying but still the same duration. Updated the bios, different drivers etc. Different boot drive, but did not change my secondairy ssd (crucial p1). I suspect the ssd as I read stories of bad hdd's causing these problems. I can change the ram for some time and lower the cpu frequency quite a bit for testing, but I don't know if it will fix something.
Things that could be giving errors: ssd (P1), ram(mixed, but tested), cpu(r3600), mobo(asrockb450 pro4), usb devices(usb switch for mouse and keyboard), 2.5g pcie network cart (using the 1G internal one so dont know why its still there)
Its not affecting anything then just annoying me.

Maybe only affecting ryzen systems?

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon Max Wifi
Cooling Wraith Prism
Memory G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4@3600
Video Card(s) Sapphire NITRO+ RX 580 8GB
Storage Corsair Force MP510 240GB NVMe, Seagate Barracuda 2TB x2, ADATA SU800 256GB SSD
Display(s) 32" 1920x1080
Case Fractal Design Define 7
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III 650W 80+ Gold Full Modular
Mouse Redragon Predator
Keyboard Redragon K556
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit 20H2
I'm having exactly the same issues. No idea how it started, but it is always present when watching youtube videos. Did not see it in any games or applications. Gpu is out of the question, reinstalled w11 after w10 and now the buzz is a bit more annoying but still the same duration. Updated the bios, different drivers etc. Different boot drive, but did not change my secondairy ssd (crucial p1). I suspect the ssd as I read stories of bad hdd's causing these problems. I can change the ram for some time and lower the cpu frequency quite a bit for testing, but I don't know if it will fix something.
Things that could be giving errors: ssd (P1), ram(mixed, but tested), cpu(r3600), mobo(asrockb450 pro4), usb devices(usb switch for mouse and keyboard), 2.5g pcie network cart (using the 1G internal one so dont know why its still there)
Its not affecting anything then just annoying me.

Maybe only affecting ryzen systems?
Do you happen to have StoreMI installed? I had this same problem a little over a year ago with a new Ryzen build. I was having buzzing problems with YouTube, and weird slowdowns along with the buzzing. It turns out StoreMI was the culprit for me. Once I removed it. My problems went away.

robbedoes

Do you happen to have StoreMI installed? I had this same problem a little over a year ago with a new Ryzen build. I was having buzzing problems with YouTube, and weird slowdowns along with the buzzing. It turns out StoreMI was the culprit for me. Once I removed it. My problems went away.
Unfortunately I don't have it on my system and it seems not to be software related as I did a fresh reinstall and I kept away a lot of applications in the first place.
With chrome open and windows mediaplayer playing music I don't have any problems.

I'll have a look at my bios for any storage related things, as I remember I read something about storemi in the bios.

It's a really weird bug to be honest.