• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Rare GPUs / Unreleased GPUs

System Name HP Pavilion a6552f
Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400
Motherboard Asus IPIBL-LB / HP Benicia-GL8E
Cooling DeepCool Gammaxx 200
Memory 8gigs Kingston 4x2gigs DDR2-800
Video Card(s) Zotac GT630 "Fermi" 2gb DDR3 128bits Synergy Edition
Storage Western Digital Green 7200rpm 1tb
Display(s) LG Flatron EW234 Super LED
Case HP Pavilion
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Thermaltake TR2 430w
Mouse Razer Abyssus Mirror Special Edition Blue LED
Keyboard Thermaltake Tt eSPORTS Commander Red LED Backlighting Mechanical Keycaps Membrane Gaming Keyboard
Software Windows 7 Home Premium 64bits
Been looking for this card.... It's the P200 Ageia Physx card that was never released.

If you or a loved one has this card. Sell it to me :D
View attachment 139974

Product description
Absolutely unique product! Not a serial model! Physical Process Accelerator AGEIA PhysX Accelerator 200 Series PCI Express Card - PPU2 codename Maplewood - Engineering Samples
Physics Processing Unit (PPU) - “Physics Processing Unit” (a coprocessor for processing physical phenomena) manufactured by Ageia Technologies is a hardware accelerator of physical calculations that is designed to relieve the burden of computing interactions of objects in the virtual world from a CPU-GPU bundle. AGEIA has created this class of devices to improve the performance of games, 3D modeling systems and engineering design systems. Using the PhysX SDK software package, when developing games, all the complex interactions of objects - solids, tissues, and liquids - rests on the Ageia software component and, if there is a PPU, is processed on it, and not on the central processor.
The processor used in PPU, using parallelization of computation and optimization only for a certain type of calculation, allows speeding up calculations up to 200 times in comparison with the same calculations on a regular CPU of that time. It is the link between the software engine embedded in the game and the individual physical accelerator on which it performs work that has become the main achievement in this technology. At the time of the presentation in 2005, it was a breakthrough solution that allows you to increase the performance of dynamic interactions in games and get more realistic effects. This innovation is comparable to the appearance of the first 3D graphics accelerators in the 90s.
Initially, a model of the 100th series with a P1 processor and a PCI interface was released, then a PCI-E version and options from third-party manufacturers, such as ASUS PhysX P1 or DELL W056C, were released. Accelerators began to be installed in their computers by well-known suppliers - Alienware, Dell and others, and developers began to introduce the PhysX engine into computer games. In 2008, with a strong interest in acceleration technologies for physical engines, nVidia completely bought Ageia with all its intellectual property, closed a separate accelerator production and introduced PhysX technology into its video cards starting from the 8000, 9000 and GTX 200 series.
In the future, the technology of hardware calculation of physical processes from other manufacturers did not receive distribution not because of any restrictions on the part of nVidia, but because of the sharp development of central processors. Moreover, it was not just the nominal increase in clock frequency that turned out to be important, but the introduction into newer processors from Intel and AMD of extended sets of special instructions that at the kernel level (i.e. the hardware level) made it possible to accelerate complex standard mathematical calculations close to those performed on PPU. The development of superscalar and optimization of the conveyor component of the CPU architecture made it possible to increase productivity when executing sets and sequences of commands, which, when performing standard calculations in physical engines, removed a significant percentage of the load. Also, the development of multi-core and the accessibility to the masses of consumers of two or more nuclear processors allowed game engine developers to use one core to calculate game logic (game intelligence), and the other to calculate physics (interaction within game objects), which made the issue of external optimization devices even less relevant. A paradoxical fact - in the new versions of the PhysX engine from nVidia and the drivers from video cards in the late 2000s, a special setting appeared that allows you to transfer all PhysX API calculations to the CPU, that is, they will specifically return to what Ageia tried to get away from in the mid-2000s, since the CPUs released at that time no longer had such performance limitations as at the time of PPU development.
However, the legacy of PPU technology has not completely disappeared. The PhysX API game physics engine itself is constantly being developed and updated by nVidia and it is an important component of many popular games today. The idea of a link between hardware acceleration and the associated software element finds its particular application in individual technological solutions. For example, the nVidia HairWorks module, when the creators connect the game to their creation, allows you to use hardware acceleration on modern nVidia video cards to dynamically and realisticly draw the hair and coat of game characters. The most striking rethinking of Ageia PhysX technology today is the RTX technology promoted by nVidia in the latest video card models. PhysX was used to speed up calculations of interactions between solids and liquids,
This model of the accelerator was born in late 2007 - early 2008 at the very turning point. On the one hand, Ageia had a PhysX 200 processor, which had been under development since the beginning of 2007, was fully prepared, drivers were released on it in a general update, and Dell planned to install it in the XPS 400 series of system units. On the other hand, nVidia, the owner of Ageia, did not want to continue to release PPU as a separate device and was preparing to integrate it into its video cards. As a result, the test model of the second generation of PhysX accelerators has a fan in the form of the nVidia logo and textolite, which is characteristic for engineering samples of their products, but with the marking “PhysX by AGEIA”, which serves as a visible reflection of the section of interests between the companies.
The second generation of accelerators compared with the first increased its technical characteristics:
  • the new core, codenamed Maplewood, should be able to handle up to 2 times as many objects
  • core frequency in different models from 600 to 733MHz instead of 500MHz in the first generation
  • memory with 128MB with a frequency of 738MHz in the first generation expanded to 256 / 512MB with a frequency of 850MHz GDDR3 standard with a 128bit bus
  • only PCI-E version 1.1 interface instead of PCI 2.2, like most first-generation cards
The informal name for the second generation is “PPU2” (ie Physics Processing Unit version 2).
Based on the general characteristics and analysis of this board, it can be argued that Ageia planned to release a second generation model in several versions with different performance and different memory sizes, similar to how video cards within the same generation (for example, GeForce 700 series) have several different lines (for example, GTX 750, GTX 760, etc.).
The presented model is based on the processor AG1021-A1 P22396.L1 0716-1 and has four memory chips Samsung K4J52324QC-BC14
The card is equipped with a PCI-E 1x interface. Power consumption up to 65W. Power supply is required through a standard 6pin connector, as for a video card.
Turbine type cooling system. The fan is controlled by a temperature sensor - it turns on only when a certain temperature is exceeded, and is turned off the rest of the time.
The presented card is just an example of how the final retail product will look (at the level of layout and performance, rather than appearance), that is, it represents a kind of Relise Candidate product. Differences from the test versions for developers are as follows:
  1. Reduced number of power phases
  2. Removed full-size debug COM port DB9
  3. No DIP switch blocks for setting operating modes
At the same time, the serial debugging interface itself remained in the form of a 3pin connector in the upper left corner of the card and there are two connectors near the interface connector and the power connector for taking energy readings through the corresponding consumption channels.
To test the performance of physics accelerators, the well-known analytical resource Geeks3D, the author of the popular FurMark video card test, released a separate benchmark program called FluidMark. In the pictures you can see the testing passed by the presented instance. Next to the test program window, the PhysX settings window shows that when attempting to reset the PPU state, messages about the impossibility of reset due to the processor being in operation are issued. Another image shows a positive result of the processor passing the built-in tests in the setup program.
To use the card, it is recommended to install the AGEIA PhysX PCI Card Driver driver version 1.1.1.15 and the PhysX SystemSoftware software version 8.09.04.

I have a set of them, but they're all unique from one another and I really haven't got around to exploring every one of their different capabilities. I can share a performance result from one that's close to the one in your post, but it's actually the slowest of the bunch.

1576902899525.png
1576902803967.png

D

Deleted member 185158

I have a set of them, but they're all unique from one another and I really haven't got around to exploring every one of their different capabilities. I can share a performance result from one that's close to the one in your post, but it's actually the slowest of the bunch.

View attachment 139985
View attachment 139984

Awesome. I have looked for these cards for many years (more so forgotten about the PPU 200 for a few..) while I've enjoyed several versions of the 100 series 500mhz core.
I have recently purchased a PCI-E 100 series as my other one is legacy PCI. So with the modern boards I have set up, I cannot run the legacy card.
Thank you for sharing these benchmark examples. However, I'd like to compare the 100 to the 200 series PPUs to see how they differ. Do you have any 100 vs 200 benchmarks?
p.s.
If you ever want to part with one of these rare oddities, I'd be happy so to purchase one of them!
:D Shrimp :D

System Name Beaver's Build
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (WI-FI) - X570
Cooling Corsair H115i RGB PLATINUM 97 CFM Liquid
Memory G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory - 16-19-19-39
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition
Storage Inland 1TB NVMe M.2 (Phison E12) / Samsung 950 Pro M.2 NVMe 512G / WD Black 6TB - 256M cache
Display(s) Alienware AW3225QF 32" 4K 240 Hz OLED
Case Fractal Design Design Define R6 USB-C
Audio Device(s) Focusrite 2i4 USB Audio Interface
Power Supply SuperFlower LEADEX TITANIUM 1600W
Mouse Razer DeathAdder V2
Keyboard Razer Cynosa V2 (Membrane)
Software Microsoft Windows 10 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores 3dmark = https://www.3dmark.com/spy/32087054 Cinebench R15 = 4038 Cinebench R20 = 9210

kotovski

Hello.
I recently got this graphic accelerator in my hands.
as far as I know, these devices were manufactured by five companies - http://physxinfo.com/wiki/Ageia_PhysX_PPU
and my device is not among them, can someone help to identify?

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2019-12-12 at 12.37.07.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2019-12-12 at 12.37.07.jpeg
    105.2 KB · Views: 330
  • WhatsApp Image 2019-12-12 at 12.37.07 (1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2019-12-12 at 12.37.07 (1).jpeg
    157.8 KB · Views: 266

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS X570-PLUS TUF Gaming
Cooling Xigmatek Scylla 240mm AIO
Memory 4x8GB Samsung DDR4 ECC UDIMM
Video Card(s) Inno3D RTX 3070 Ti iChill
Storage ADATA Legend 2TB + ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) Samsung U24E590D (4K/UHD)
Case ghetto CM Cosmos RC-1000
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Power Supply SeaSonic SSR-550FX (80+ GOLD)
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Modecom Volcano Blade (Kailh choc LP)
VR HMD Google dreamview headset(aka fancy cardboard)
Software Windows 11, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
I recently got this graphic accelerator in my hands.
It's a physics accelerator.

and my device is not among them, can someone help to identify?
Yours is most likely made by BFG. Blue PCB is actually more typical for this PPU, but they had the same thing in green and black as well.
Though, it might be one of the early reference cards too.

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS X570-PLUS TUF Gaming
Cooling Xigmatek Scylla 240mm AIO
Memory 4x8GB Samsung DDR4 ECC UDIMM
Video Card(s) Inno3D RTX 3070 Ti iChill
Storage ADATA Legend 2TB + ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) Samsung U24E590D (4K/UHD)
Case ghetto CM Cosmos RC-1000
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Power Supply SeaSonic SSR-550FX (80+ GOLD)
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Modecom Volcano Blade (Kailh choc LP)
VR HMD Google dreamview headset(aka fancy cardboard)
Software Windows 11, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
bfg looks completely different
It's just a reference design. If you follow the link that you've posted and scroll all the way down to the first video, you'll see dude testing the exact same unit, only now w/ BFG sticker on the fan.

kotovski

It's just a reference design. If you follow the link that you've posted and scroll all the way down to the first video, you'll see dude testing the exact same unit, only now w/ BFG sticker on the fan.
ok thanks for your help.
say please, it is considered a rare card?

System Name Master
Processor Pair of Xeon X5675's @ 4.3
Motherboard SR-2 Classified
Memory 12 GB of Corsair Dominator GT's @ 2000 7-7-7-21
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX680
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 750
ok thanks for your help.
Not really. No real use for them anymore
Physx PPU cards go for around $20 all day long in the US.
I have a Dell reference card just like yours.

D

Deleted member 185158

These cards where made by a few popular venders including asus, bfg I believe EVGA ( dont quote me on EVGA) and Dell... Not sure who produced them for Dell would have to research a little later on that.

Heres an older how to.

ok thanks for your help.

Id say rare because they are obsolete for todays computing. Not many people have them however easily found in the US most of them are pulled from Dell XPS rigs or where never installed.

I do imagine at some point these cards to be considered rare and likely only used by enthusiasts who may want to play old ageia physx titles such as UT3 or CellFactor.

Further....

They did make PCIE 1x cards after the legacy PCI was released.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
I didn’t know you could restore functionality super cool.

D

Deleted member 185158

I didn’t know you could restore functionality super cool.

That's a pretty old posting..... I'd think the results of todays NV Physx drivers, vs the 8.06.04 (and other 8.x.x drivers) greatly differ. I think it was 8.10 that was the last release of any real Ageia Physx support offered by NVidia. After that, none.

I'd recommend to have a fresh install of W7 or XP and not using any NV drivers at all for true functionality. 7.11.13 with strictly Ageia only.

I actually just recently found this link and haven't had time to try it, but like I stated above, the best way is to leave anything NVidia out of the picture especially if you're using an NV card.

Storage Inland 1TB NVMe M.2 (Phison E12) / Samsung 950 Pro M.2 NVMe 512G / WD Black 6TB - 256M cache
Benchmark Scores 3dmark = https://www.3dmark.com/spy/32087054 Cinebench R15 = 4038 Cinebench R20 = 9210
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI B450 Tomahawk ATX
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition
Memory VENGEANCE LPX 2 x 16GB DDR4-3600 C18 OCed 3800
Video Card(s) XFX Speedster SWFT309 AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT CORE Gaming
Storage 970 EVO NVMe M.2 500 GB, 870 QVO 1 TB
Display(s) Samsung 28” 4K monitor
Case Phantek Eclipse P400S (PH-EC416PS)
Audio Device(s) EVGA NU Audio
Power Supply EVGA 850 BQ
Mouse SteelSeries Rival 310
Keyboard Logitech G G413 Silver
Software Windows 10 Professional 64-bit v22H2

freeagent

Staff member
Processor AMD R9 5900X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
Cooling Thermalright Aqua Elite 360 V3 1x TL-B12, 2x TL-C12 Pro, 2x TL K12
Memory 2x8 G.Skill Trident Z Royal 3200C14, 2x8GB G.Skill Trident Z Black and White 3200 C14
Video Card(s) Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC
Storage WD SN850 1TB, SN850X 2TB, Asus Hyper M.2, 2x SN770 1TB
Display(s) LG 50UP7100
Case Fractal Torrent Compact RGB
Audio Device(s) JBL 2.1 Deep Bass
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 750w G+, Monster HDP1800
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard Logitech G213
VR HMD Oculus 3
Software Yes
Benchmark Scores Yes
Pretty cool, but not for 5500.. maybe in 10 years.

T4C Fantasy

CPU & GPU DB Maintainer
Staff member
System Name Whaaaat Kiiiiiiid!
Processor Intel Core i9-12900K @ Default
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 AORUS Elite AX
Cooling Corsair H150i AIO Cooler
Memory Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA @ Default
Storage Samsung 970 PRO 512GB + Crucial MX500 2TB x3 + Crucial MX500 4TB + Samsung 980 PRO 1TB
Display(s) 27" LG 27MU67-B 4K, + 27" Acer Predator XB271HU 1440P
Case Thermaltake Core X9 Snow
Audio Device(s) Logitech G935 Headset
Power Supply SeaSonic Platinum 1050W Snow Silent
Mouse Logitech G903 Lightspeed
Keyboard Logitech G915
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores FFXV: 19329

Attachments

• thumbnail_3535E8C6@18B6D022.B8DD265E.gif.gif
    thumbnail_3535E8C6@18B6D022.B8DD265E.gif.gif
    27.3 KB · Views: 188
  • A3521AB8@4E84B235.77F8265E.png
    A3521AB8@4E84B235.77F8265E.png
    107.3 KB · Views: 183
System Name ibuytheusedstuff
Processor 5960x
Motherboard x99 sabertooth
Cooling old socket775 cooler
Memory 32 Viper
Video Card(s) 1080ti on morpheus 1
Storage raptors+ssd
Display(s) acer 120hz
Case open bench
Audio Device(s) onb
Power Supply antec 1200 moar power
Mouse mx 518
Keyboard roccat arvo
that`s interesting 8gb on 980gtx-ya would not have a 4gb too for tests? Mr Fantasy?
always wanted to test gtx 780 with 3gb vs 6gb

T4C Fantasy

CPU & GPU DB Maintainer
Staff member
System Name Whaaaat Kiiiiiiid!
Processor Intel Core i9-12900K @ Default
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 AORUS Elite AX
Cooling Corsair H150i AIO Cooler
Memory Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA @ Default
Storage Samsung 970 PRO 512GB + Crucial MX500 2TB x3 + Crucial MX500 4TB + Samsung 980 PRO 1TB
Display(s) 27" LG 27MU67-B 4K, + 27" Acer Predator XB271HU 1440P
Case Thermaltake Core X9 Snow
Audio Device(s) Logitech G935 Headset
Power Supply SeaSonic Platinum 1050W Snow Silent
Mouse Logitech G903 Lightspeed
Keyboard Logitech G915
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores FFXV: 19329
GTX 980 8GB Engineering Sample
some pictures of memory and backside

Attachments

• thumbnail_04D1FA0A@6BCAA82D.8302275E.JPG.jpg