• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Razer Blade 15 Advanced Model ( 2019 ) High Temps

theoriginal

Hello. I had the chance to buy a razer blade recently. I have been using the computer for 2 weeks. There was no problem except warming up.

During the game (I tried CS: GO, Fall Guys, GTA-5, while playing LoL);

• GPU (RTX 2070 Max-Q), changes between 70-80 C. (Approx 70 for LoL, and 80 for GTA.)
  • CPU (i7-9750H), changes between 80-90 C.

As I read from some forums, i am not worried that it gets hot while playing games, it doesnt bother me. Generally, they talk about heating problems in most of the gaming laptops. In a few razer blade test videos I watched, the temperatures were more or less like mine.

My main concern is that the computer gets too hot when I'm not playing games. I didn't buy this computer with the main purpose of gaming. I needed a laptop for long-term use. I saw that the razer blade was highly praised and the processor graphics card, etc. was good enough for me.

Today I turned on my computer, which was completely cold. I just watched Netflix for about 50 minutes. During this time I used the computer on battery. I will add photos of the degrees below. The computer goes back and forth between 55-60 degrees. I can never put the computer on my knees or anything. The case is made of titanium (I am not sure, it could also be aluminum), so I am feeling the heat even more. I am writing here because I do not know if it is normal for this razer blade to get so hot when using it on idle.

Bataryada kullanırken sıcaklık.png throttlestop ayarlar.png cpu undervolt.png tpl.png

In the first photo, when using on idle, there are temperatures, how much of the processor is used and speed values in mhz.

The other 3 photos belong to the ThrottleStop application where I did the undervolt process. I use this profile while only on battery.

I tried many things, but somehow I could not lower the computer to 40-45 degrees. Is it normal to get this hot while using on idle? I also couldn't understand what caused it to get so hot. Only 5-10% of the CPU is used and thanks to throttlestop the CPU does not go above 1.5 GHz, but for some reason the laptop does not go below 55 degrees. I would be very happy if you could help me work this out.

I leave the specs of the computer below.

Razer Blade 15 Advanced Model (Mid-2019)

CPU: Intel i7-9750H
GPU: RTX 2070 Max-Q
Ram: 16 GB
Display: 240 Hz, 1080p

System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
Read the third line of my signature.

Then read https://www.laptopmag.com/uk/reviews/razer-blade-15-base-model

The bottom of the laptop reached 102 degrees Fahrenheit and the center of the keyboard hit 98 degrees after we watched a 15-minute video in full-screen mode.

This is perfectly normal and there is nothing you can do about it, except to try undervolting the GPU as well.

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
Only 5-10% of the CPU is used
With nothing open other than ThrottleStop, what does ThrottleStop report for C0% when idle? An average load of 5% to 10% when idle is a huge load. Open the Task Manager, go to the Details tab and find out what is running on your computer. Here is a number to shoot for when idle.

You should also be seeing all 6 cores spending 99% of their time in the core C7 state.

razer blade was highly praised
By whom? Many laptop review sites are extremely biased. They do their best to talk around any issues out of fear of losing access to new laptops to test. If cool and quiet is important to you, a gaming laptop with a 6 core 9750H and 2070 GPU is usually not the best choice. Get rid of the useless background tasks and it might not be so bad.

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
Today I turned on my computer, which was completely cold. I just watched Netflix for about 50 minutes. ....... I do not know if it is normal for this razer blade to get so hot when using it on idle.
Watching Netflix is not "at Idle".
Then you state "using it at idle" which is a contradiction in itself.

theoriginal

With nothing open other than ThrottleStop, what does ThrottleStop report for C0% when idle? An average load of 5% to 10% when idle is a huge load. Open the Task Manager, go to the Details tab and find out what is running on your computer. Here is a number to shoot for when idle.

C0% does not get below 10% and it changes between 10% - 30% right when I am writing this ( i have nothing else opened other than chrome and throttlestop ).

Here is two photos of my Task Manager's details tab. I do not really know what I should look for so I am putting it down here.

task manager on idle.png
task manager.png

And this one is a picture of ThrottleStop when I am just writing these.

C0%.png

I will be grateful if you can help me with which tasks I should end on task manager.
Thank you.

dgianstefani

TPU Proofreader
Staff member
System Name Silent
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D @ 5.15ghz BCLK OC, TG AM5 High Performance Heatspreader
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix X670E-I, chipset fans removed
Cooling Optimus AMD Raw Copper/Plexi, HWLABS Copper 240/40+240/30, D5, 4x Noctua A12x25, Mayhems Ultra Pure
Memory 32 GB Dominator Platinum 6150 MHz 26-36-36-48, 57ns AIDA, 2050 FLCK, 160 ns TRFC
Video Card(s) RTX 3080 Ti Founders Edition, Conductonaut Extreme, 18 W/mK MinusPad Extreme, Corsair XG7 Waterblock
Storage Intel Optane DC P1600X 118 GB, Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB
Display(s) 32" 240 Hz 1440p Samsung G7, 31.5" 165 Hz 1440p LG NanoIPS Ultragear
Case Sliger SM570 CNC Aluminium 13-Litre, 3D printed feet, custom front panel with pump/res combo
Audio Device(s) Audeze Maxwell Ultraviolet, Razer Nommo Pro
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum, transparent custom cables, Sentinel Pro 1500 Online Double Conversion UPS
Mouse Razer Viper Pro V2 Mercury White w/Tiger Ice Skates & Pulsar Supergrip tape
Keyboard Wooting 60HE+ module, TOFU Redux Burgundy w/brass weight, Prismcaps White & Jellykey, lubed/modded
Software Windows 10 IoT Enterprise LTSC 19053.3803
Benchmark Scores Legendary
Repaste with liquid metal to drop temps by 25c.

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
When I type really, really fast on my keyboard, the C0% goes up by maybe +0.5%, at the most. There are some poorly written keyboard and mouse track pad drivers that can suck up a lot of CPU resources. Try running the Resource Monitor and organize the running tasks by average CPU usage. Keep an eye on that while typing into a Notebook document. Some software might be working hard as it sends your keystrokes around the world to someone else.

Greenshot, SteelSeriesEngine3, your Razer software or maybe your antivirus program is working hard to keep your computer safe. It is difficult to come in after the fact and start picking through what has been installed on your computer. All I know is that after a clean install of Windows 10, a CPU needs to spend very little time in the C0 state to process all of the background tasks including ThrottleStop. You have more than 1 core constantly working just processing background sludge. This alone can kill battery run time. After installing anything on a computer, you need to keep a close eye on how it effects your idle C0%. Some software is doing way too much background processing when it really does not need to be.

Using the Windows Power Saver profile or forcing your CPU to run slow by setting Speed Shift EPP to 255 might not be doing you any favors. A slow CPU is an inefficient CPU. I would use the Windows Balanced power plan and I would not check the Speed Shift EPP box. Let Windows 10 manage the EPP value. When Speed Shift EPP is not checked in ThrottleStop, open the FIVR window and watch the monitoring table to see what Speed Shift EPP value your CPU is using. Move the Windows power slider back and forth and see how this changes.

dgianstefani

TPU Proofreader
Staff member
System Name Silent
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D @ 5.15ghz BCLK OC, TG AM5 High Performance Heatspreader
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix X670E-I, chipset fans removed
Cooling Optimus AMD Raw Copper/Plexi, HWLABS Copper 240/40+240/30, D5, 4x Noctua A12x25, Mayhems Ultra Pure
Memory 32 GB Dominator Platinum 6150 MHz 26-36-36-48, 57ns AIDA, 2050 FLCK, 160 ns TRFC
Video Card(s) RTX 3080 Ti Founders Edition, Conductonaut Extreme, 18 W/mK MinusPad Extreme, Corsair XG7 Waterblock
Storage Intel Optane DC P1600X 118 GB, Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB
Display(s) 32" 240 Hz 1440p Samsung G7, 31.5" 165 Hz 1440p LG NanoIPS Ultragear
Case Sliger SM570 CNC Aluminium 13-Litre, 3D printed feet, custom front panel with pump/res combo
Audio Device(s) Audeze Maxwell Ultraviolet, Razer Nommo Pro
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum, transparent custom cables, Sentinel Pro 1500 Online Double Conversion UPS
Mouse Razer Viper Pro V2 Mercury White w/Tiger Ice Skates & Pulsar Supergrip tape
Keyboard Wooting 60HE+ module, TOFU Redux Burgundy w/brass weight, Prismcaps White & Jellykey, lubed/modded
Software Windows 10 IoT Enterprise LTSC 19053.3803
Benchmark Scores Legendary
All of the above are wrong. On my blade, same model, simply put CPU+GPU in synapse to custom high performance, repaste, and enjoy temps never going above 75c while CPU boosts to 4.1 all core and GPU boosts to 1715mhz.

With a -150mv undervolt on CPU/cache.

theoriginal

When I type really, really fast on my keyboard, the C0% goes up by maybe +0.5%, at the most. There are some poorly written keyboard and mouse track pad drivers that can suck up a lot of CPU resources. Try running the Resource Monitor and organize the running tasks by average CPU usage. Keep an eye on that while typing into a Notebook document. Some software might be working hard as it sends your keystrokes around the world to someone else.

Greenshot, SteelSeriesEngine3, your Razer software or maybe your antivirus program is working hard to keep your computer safe. It is difficult to come in after the fact and start picking through what has been installed on your computer. All I know is that after a clean install of Windows 10, a CPU needs to spend very little time in the C0 state to process all of the background tasks including ThrottleStop. You have more than 1 core constantly working just processing background sludge. This alone can kill battery run time. After installing anything on a computer, you need to keep a close eye on how it effects your idle C0%. Some software is doing way too much background processing when it really does not need to be.

Using the Windows Power Saver profile or forcing your CPU to run slow by setting Speed Shift EPP to 255 might not be doing you any favors. A slow CPU is an inefficient CPU. I would use the Windows Balanced power plan and I would not check the Speed Shift EPP box. Let Windows 10 manage the EPP value. When Speed Shift EPP is not checked in ThrottleStop, open the FIVR window and watch the monitoring table to see what Speed Shift EPP value your CPU is using. Move the Windows power slider back and forth and see how this changes.

I dont really know what happened but my PC is running cooler for the last 2 days. I continued to watch videos on battery just to check the temps and I never see them going more than 50 C. It is generally around 45 C. So I am happy with the results.

Thank you for spending your time trying to help me here. I appreciate that.

momracer614

@theoriginal I have the same laptop as you and I am getting the same issue as you where throttlestop shows lots of usage and warm cpu temps with nothing running on idle, it only happened recently after a reinstalled windows, never had this issue before so I know the laptop is capable of running cool and silent on idle and even running mild tasks. My throttlestop and task manager look very similar to your pictures, do you manage to fix this issue, pls lmk