• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Razer getting gamers into cryptomining

Status
Not open for further replies.
System Name Personal / HTPC
Processor i5-4670k @ 4.4 / i5-4460
Motherboard ASUS z97-AR /ASRock Z87 Extreme4
Cooling Corsair H100i / stock HSF
Memory 16GB DDR3 1600 / 8GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) Zotac GTX 980Ti AMP! Omega / Zotac GTX 980Ti AMP! Omega
Storage 250 GB Crucial SSD MX200, 1TB & 500GB Western Digital / 2x 4TB WD Red
Display(s) 3x 24" Asus Ve248H LED (5760x1080) / 50" LCD TV
Case CoolerMaster XB Evo / CM HAF XB Evo
Power Supply 850W SeaSonic X Series / 750W SeaSonic X Series
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Microsoft Natural Elite Keyboard
Software Windows 7 Home 64 / Windows 10 Home 64
Razer is introducing their plan, Razer Softminer, as they team up with Gamma to allow your computer to mine for cryptocurrency when it is sitting idle.

Razer had just removed pretty much any way to earn their zSilver coins - you used to earn them just by gaming, as long as you had Razer Cortex running and you could also earn a small amount from logging into Cortex everyday. The earn while you game was pulled a while back and the free zSilver for logging into Coretx was axed at the end of November 2018. Razer has been saying they've bee looking for a way to allow people to earn zSilver since they pulled the play to earn feature and most likely this will be their new way to earn.

Shortly after the play to earn was removed, Razer launched their digital store and you can earn zSilver for every dollar you spend. Stack up enough zSilver and you can use it to purchase prizes that range from digital gift cards, discounts at the online Razer store, games to Razer products. Now, it seems that Razer is also including the ability to earn rewards which will most likely include zSilver - though I haven't been able to find any specifics on exactly what they mean by "rewards".

I tried to read up more on their Softminer, but even Razer doesn't have any kind of Terms for their software on their website yet. When I click on their link for the Softminer EULA, I'm directed to a 404 page:
Capture.PNG

So, anyone thinking about letting Razer softminer utilize their computer when it's sitting idle?

I think I'll avoid this like the plague. I don't need my computer mindlessly mining for crypto while I slowly build up some "rewards" that will probably only be redeemable on Razer websites.

Last edited by a moderator:
System Name Summer
Processor i5 3570K @ 4.4
Motherboard Gigabyte Z77X UD5H
Cooling Corsair H75 2x120mm push/pull
Memory 16 GB corsair
Video Card(s) Sapphire R9 390 Nitro
Storage 840Pro 128GB (OS), 2x1 TB spinners RAID 1 (data), 512GB 850EVO (steam), sandisk 256GB (blockchains)
Display(s) Samsung
Case NZXT H2
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Antec Earthwatts 650
Mouse Razor DeathAdder 3.5G
Keyboard Aukey KM-G3
Software Win7 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores it runs.
Awesom, another way to increase power consumtion on a pc, for very little benefits to the end user.

As with asus (?) Who wants to use GPUs, at much higher power levels, to do something similar. Guess all that noise of not covering rmas on mining cards was just a snap decision by some suit that has no clue as to how miners treat cards (generally undervolted and with excellant cooling compared to gamer rigs). Just greed and corporate incompitence at work, as usual.

Razor and asus are now off my list. I will mine under my own terms.

hat

Enthusiast
System Name Starlifter :: Dragonfly
Processor i7 2600k :: Athlon II x4 630
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Pro :: GIgabyte GA-770T-USB3
Cooling Corsair H70 :: Thermaltake Big Typhoon
Memory 2x4GB DDR3 1866 :: 2x1GB DDR3 1333
Video Card(s) 2x PNY GTX1070 :: none
Storage Plextor M5s 128GB, WDC Black 500GB :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, WD RE3 1TB
Display(s) Acer P216HL HDMI :: None
Case Antec SOHO 1030B :: Old White Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Onboard - iLive IT153B Soundbar (optical) :: None
Power Supply EVGA 500w 80 Plus :: Wounded Corsair CX600
Software Windows 10 Pro - Plex Server on Dragonfly
Benchmark Scores >9000
@verycharbroiled nobody is forcing you to mine in any kind of way. You can use ASUS cards and mine however you wish. You don't have to go through their program.

Anyway, mining... rewards points? seems like a giant scam. Razer gets cryptocurrency, you get rewards points redeemable in the form of a keychain or something. And only from Razer. :/ I'm surprised anyone bothers though given the currently abysmal state of crypto... maybe they're hoping to hold and it shoots up again?

System Name Summer
Processor i5 3570K @ 4.4
Motherboard Gigabyte Z77X UD5H
Cooling Corsair H75 2x120mm push/pull
Memory 16 GB corsair
Video Card(s) Sapphire R9 390 Nitro
Storage 840Pro 128GB (OS), 2x1 TB spinners RAID 1 (data), 512GB 850EVO (steam), sandisk 256GB (blockchains)
Display(s) Samsung
Case NZXT H2
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Antec Earthwatts 650
Mouse Razor DeathAdder 3.5G
Keyboard Aukey KM-G3
Software Win7 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores it runs.
nobody is forcing you to mine in any kind of way. You can use ASUS cards and mine however you wish. You don't have to go through their program.
Sure crypto miners will opt out, or set up the asus cards manually. But noobs with no clue may have no idea of the power usage, and I'm sure default pools give a big edge to asus. But i may be wrong on that.

All most noobs will see is "free stuff" ignoring power cost.

@Wizard I have seen tons of this news in many threads, hard to keep up. Sorry

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.