• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Razer Introduces Hydra Motion-Sensing Game Controller

Benetanegia

I don't get why people are whining about the cords, chances are your going to be really close to your computer and the USB plug, is it really worth paying more for it to be wireless?

There's no way I would use this if I were in front of my PC, that's where KB+M will always be 1000+ times better. I would only use this thing when playing on the HDTV in the living room, playing slow games, which is where this kind of devices belong. These devices + fast paced FPS playing == FAIL. Looking at the videos posted above it clearly is not nearly as accurate as a mouse (in fact it doesn't look much more accurate than a controler) and most importantly you cannot make 180-360 degrees turns easily or at all. FAIL.

STCNE

System Name Lycanthropy
Processor i5 2500K
Motherboard ECS p67-h2a2
Memory 8GB Muskin Radioactive Series
Video Card(s) MSI R7770
Case Lancool K62
Audio Device(s) Ultra-Fi Dac41, Vintage Sherwood amp, STAX SR-5 Headphones
Power Supply XFX 850W
Software Win 7 64-Bit(Tried Win8 and never going back)
Benchmark Scores Reboots in 35 seconds flat, with a standard HDD. I'm a bit of an OCD tweaker. Using less than 100GB
There's no way I would use this if I were in front of my PC, that's where KB+M will always be 1000+ times better. I would only use this thing when playing on the HDTV in the living room, playing slow games, which is where this kind of devices belong. These devices + fast paced FPS playing == FAIL. Looking at the videos posted above it clearly is not nearly as accurate as a mouse (in fact it doesn't look much more accurate than a controler) and most importantly you cannot make 180-360 degrees turns easily or at all. FAIL.

What about games like GTA or Just Cause 2? With this you get all the advantages of a controller(triggers to control car speed, and variable turning) but you don't get the super bad aiming of the analog sticks. This would also be good for just planin ol messing around in games like NV and Oblivion, although like you said it is useless for people who only play competitive FPS games.

Benetanegia

What about games like GTA or Just Cause 2? With this you get all the advantages of a controller(triggers to control car speed, and variable turning) but you don't get the super bad aiming of the analog sticks. This would also be good for just planin ol messing around in games like NV and Oblivion, although like you said it is useless for people who only play competitive FPS games.

Yeah, I'm only saying that for me it's useless, being wireless I could give it some use (if it didn't cost so much), but as it is, it's absolutely useless. I don't like hate GTA games and 3rd person games in general*. As for Oblivion and the likes, yeah I could use it for that, again to play from my couch, hence wireless is a must for me, and now that I think of it kb+m is just plainly better in RPGs too. i.e what do you do in menus? I don't see this device working extremely well when navigating the many menus in Oblivion.

I just don't see any benefit on these devices, maybe some day... but until they can trully replace the mouse and preferably both kb and mouse I don't think they are very useful. I believe in dedicated peripherals that fullfill their purpse, rather than generic ones that try to do everything and master none, so that's why I think that these motion-sensing controlers must be wireless at the very least. Also it would be nice if they had a built-in writing feature so you could write on the screen and it would recognize it and write it down. I'm not talking about software, because I know that already exists, I'm talking about a hardware/driver implementation so that you can use it in-game.

*I did like Mafia though and in that game I just used a wheel, which was 100 times better than the kb or a controler of any kind will ever be. Yeah it was not the most comfortable way to play afoot scenes, with a wheel in front of me but it worked and the overall feeling was much much better.

System Name Desktop|| Virtual Host 0
Processor Intel Core i5 2500-K @ 4.3ghz || 2x Xeon L5630 (total 8 cores, 16 threads)
Motherboard ASUS P8Z68-V || Dell PowerEdge R710 (Intel 5520 chipset)
Cooling Corsair Hydro H100 || Stock hotplug fans and passive heatsinks
Memory 4x4gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 || 12x4gb Hynix DDR3 1066 FB-DIMMs
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 760 Gaming Twin Frozr 4GB OC || Don't know, don't care
Storage Hitachi 7K3000 2TB || 6x300gb 15k rpm SAS internal hotswap, 12x3tb Seagate NAS drives in enclosure
Display(s) ViewSonic VA2349S || remote iDRAC KVM console
Case Antec P280 || Dell PowerEdge R710
Audio Device(s) HRT MusicStreamer II+ and Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 || Don't know, don't care
Power Supply SeaSonic X650 Gold || 2x870w hot-swappable
Mouse Logitech G500 || remote iDRAC KVM console
Keyboard Logitech G510 || remote iDRAC KVM console
Software Win7 Ultimate x64 || VMware vSphere 6.0 with vCenter Server 6.0
Benchmark Scores Over 9000 on the scouter
I'd personally like to see some really great first-person fighting games for something like this. Like what Soul Caliber for the Wii should have been; have full and precise control of the weapons with both hands, not just "move the controller in this general direction to do one thing"

STCNE

System Name Lycanthropy
Processor i5 2500K
Motherboard ECS p67-h2a2
Memory 8GB Muskin Radioactive Series
Video Card(s) MSI R7770
Case Lancool K62
Audio Device(s) Ultra-Fi Dac41, Vintage Sherwood amp, STAX SR-5 Headphones
Power Supply XFX 850W
Software Win 7 64-Bit(Tried Win8 and never going back)
Benchmark Scores Reboots in 35 seconds flat, with a standard HDD. I'm a bit of an OCD tweaker. Using less than 100GB
I'd personally like to see some really great first-person fighting games for something like this. Like what Soul Caliber for the Wii should have been; have full and precise control of the weapons with both hands, not just "move the controller in this general direction to do one thing"

I agree with this, the only Wii game I enjoyed was Wii Boxing, and there was so much more they could have done with it if it had been a full game itself, now I'm curious how something like this would work for Mortal Kombat, between the buttons and motions I'm sure you could get every combo on there.

System Name Unknown
Processor AMD Bulldozer FX8320 @ 4.4Ghz
Motherboard Asus Crosshair V
Cooling XSPC Raystorm 750 EX240 for CPU
Memory 8 GB CORSAIR Vengeance Red DDR3 RAM 1922mhz (10-11-9-27)
Video Card(s) XFX R9 290
Storage Samsung SSD 254GB and Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s
Display(s) AOC 23" @ 1920x1080 + Asus 27" 1440p
Case HAF X
Audio Device(s) X Fi Titanium 5.1 Surround Sound
Power Supply 750 Watt PP&C Silencer Black
Software Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
Can't they just get my Move working for my PC?

At least they are working on it http://www.motioninjoy.com/

And if Portal 2 Supports this on the PC why doesn't Portal 2 Support the Move on the PS3?

AsRock

TPU addict
Processor AMD 3900X \ AMD 7700X
Motherboard ASRock AM4 X570 Pro 4 \ ASUS X670Xe TUF
Cooling D15
Memory Patriot 2x16GB PVS432G320C6K \ G.Skill Flare X5 F5-6000J3238F 2x16GB
Video Card(s) eVga GTX1060 SSC \ XFX RX 6950XT RX-695XATBD9
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 1080P \ LG 43UN700
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 Infinity RS4000\Paradigm P Studio 20, Blue Yeti
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750 \ Corsair RM1000X Shift
Mouse Steelseries Sensei wireless \ Steelseries Sensei wireless
Keyboard Logitech K120 \ Wooting Two HE
Benchmark Scores Meh benchmarks.
As seen as there is a game with it i don't see how people think it's expensive as it would cost you around $55 - $60 for the wii controller with numchuk which the official ones only have a 30 day warranty with them.

Maybe it's the small TV that the kids use but the thing drives me crazy as the pointer jumps around a fair bit and is not all that fine tuned either.

To me it's dam cheap shame you have to have that game with it and other some what comparable PC tracking hardware it is cheap.

for example Trackir 4\5 or even, SmartNav and OptiTrack which are even more expensive. Although there support is way the best with there hardware and for sure much better than than Razer ever puts out.

How ever i would like to know why hasn't natural point put out such a device maybe it be the cost i don't know but you could count on them to do it right.

http://www.naturalpoint.com/

System Name Widow
Processor Ryzen 7600x
Motherboard AsRock B650 HDVM.2
Cooling CPU : Corsair Hydro XC7 }{ GPU: EK FC 1080 via Magicool 360 III PRO > Photon 170 (D5)
Memory 32GB Gskill Flare X5
Video Card(s) GTX 1080 TI
Storage Samsung 9series NVM 2TB and Rust
Display(s) Predator X34P/Tempest X270OC @ 120hz / LG W3000h
Case Fractal Define S [Antec Skeleton hanging in hall of fame]
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Xense with AKG K612 cans on Monacor SA-100
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Razer Naga 2014
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores FFXIV ARR Benchmark 12,883 on i7 2600k 15,098 on AM5 7600x
Am I correct in thinking that it's a controller gamepad cut in half, and you still have to take your thumbs off of the analog stick to hit other buttons(obviously, but a problem with gamepad type setups)?

This seems more like a gateway device to be later 'hacked' and used as a convenient remote for some eletronics in your home.