• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

RBE feature requests

BAGZZlash

RBE Author
Dude I know what bios is, it is Basic Input Output System, it is the firmware of the System, with out that system a Computer or component cant function properly, as that is low level software.

I didn't mean to explain to you what a BIOS is per se but that it just determines what memory amount there is installed on the card and that there is no such thing as a simple value inside the BIOS that contains this information.

System Name "Złotko"
Processor AMD 1055T @ 3600 MHz
Motherboard Asrock 880G@890GX
Cooling Thermalright 120 Xtreme (lapped)
Memory A-Data 1600 Plus
Video Card(s) Asus HD6950 unlocked - WOW
Storage many more than you can imagine
Display(s) Acer AL1923 and Philips 40PFL5605H
Case Fractal Define R3
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Music / onboard
Power Supply Seasonic M12D 850W
Software viruses, worms, trojan horses, spyware, adware, rootkits
Benchmark Scores 2.3 promile of alcohol in my blood and still standing
Hi BAGZZlash!

I found fantastic bios for HD4850. It's not working with reference cards, but it has limits in overdrive 800/1300 and it's directly from ASUS TOP card.
You can use thoose CCC limits in new RBE.

Man...I just can't wait for new release. Just need to push my baby (4850) a little bit more.

Attachments

• asustop.zip
    38.6 KB · Views: 555

BAGZZlash

RBE Author
Hi BAGZZlash!

I found fantastic bios for HD4850. It's not working with reference cards, but it has limits in overdrive 800/1300 and it's directly from ASUS TOP card.
You can use thoose CCC limits in new RBE.

Man...I just can't wait for new release. Just need to push my baby (4850) a little bit more.

Thanks, man. Will replace my 4850 750 MHz signature as soon as it's tested. :)

System Name "Złotko"
Processor AMD 1055T @ 3600 MHz
Motherboard Asrock 880G@890GX
Cooling Thermalright 120 Xtreme (lapped)
Memory A-Data 1600 Plus
Video Card(s) Asus HD6950 unlocked - WOW
Storage many more than you can imagine
Display(s) Acer AL1923 and Philips 40PFL5605H
Case Fractal Define R3
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Music / onboard
Power Supply Seasonic M12D 850W
Software viruses, worms, trojan horses, spyware, adware, rootkits
Benchmark Scores 2.3 promile of alcohol in my blood and still standing
Thanks, man. Will replace my 4850 750 MHz signature as soon as it's tested. :)

SO YOU HAVE 750 SIGNATURE!!!:twitch:

Please, let me test it. Remember that I've first post here quote about higher limits on Gainward 4850 GS.

mau3d

Thanks for the program, it was a great idea :)

I would like to see the HD 4670 on the supported cards list. It is a great card, but unfortunately from what I'm reading on forums, some manufacturers have not done a good job with the powerplay settings. The ATI reference card is able to downclock at 165 MHz (GPU) and 249 MHz (memory) in IDLE, but (for example) the 4670 from PowerColor which I'm planning to buy, is clocked down only at 500 MHz (GPU) and 750 MHz (memory).

thank you again :)

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Thanks for the program, it was a great idea :)

I would like to see the HD 4670 on the supported cards list. It is a great card, but unfortunately from what I'm reading on forums, some manufacturers have not done a good job with the powerplay settings. The ATI reference card is able to downclock at 165 MHz (GPU) and 249 MHz (memory) in IDLE, but (for example) the 4670 from PowerColor which I'm planning to buy, is clocked down only at 500 MHz (GPU) and 750 MHz (memory).

thank you again :)

well to tell you this, overclocking defeats the purpose of powerplay, just like overclocking the CPU it affects SpeedStep and Cool n Quiet if you want to have such features, run ATI Tray tools or something

mau3d

well to tell you this, overclocking defeats the purpose of powerplay, just like overclocking the CPU it affects SpeedStep and Cool n Quiet if you want to have such features, run ATI Tray tools or something

Do you mean that, because the 4670 from PowerColor is factory overclocked (just 20 MHz on the GPU only), its powerplay doesn't work like the reference ATI card, or/and it is not possible to downclock the card in IDLE at the same level of the ATI, by using RBE? The HIS 4670 Turbo of one of my friends, which is overclocked too (30 MHz on the GPU only), in IDLE is going down automatically to 165 MHz (same of the ATI reference), without using any software like rivatuner, CCC and so on.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Do you mean that, because the 4670 from PowerColor is factory overclocked (just 20 MHz on the GPU only), its powerplay doesn't work like the reference ATI card, or/and it is not possible to downclock the card in IDLE at the same level of the ATI, by using RBE? The HIS 4670 Turbo of one of my friends, which is overclocked too (30 MHz on the GPU only), in IDLE is going down automatically to 165 MHz (same of the ATI reference), without using any software like rivatuner, CCC and so on.

well it may work since its factory, but you may want to ask ATI and Powercolor on that, since factory overclock tends to be different from user overclock.

BAGZZlash

RBE Author

I have no reason to believe RBE doesn't support the card. I even have its device ID added since v1.16. Just try it. :)

On the contrary. While software overclocking using programs like RivaTuner, ATI Tray Tools or Overdrive itself disables PowerPlay (in most cases), overclocking using BIOS modifications keeps PowerPlay intact and working. You can even squeeze a little more power saving out of it.

well it may work since its factory, but you may want to ask ATI and Powercolor on that, since factory overclock tends to be different from user overclock.

Factory overclocking is done using alternative BIOSes. So far, you're right: It's different from normal user overclocking (if this is being referred to by software overclocking as mentioned above) as it is pretty much what RBE offers to do.

mau3d

I have no reason to believe RBE doesn't support the card. I even have its device ID added since v1.16. Just try it. :)

Thank you for your answer :). I asked that thing because the 4670 was not present on the "Which video cards are supported?" list in this page: http://www.techpowerup.com/rbe/ . I guess that list was not updated.

When I will buy the card, I'll try RBE for sure :)

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
what i was getting at with Tray tools etc, is you can have a preset to downclock it below stock, after your finished playing games etc.

BAGZZlash

RBE Author
Thank you for your answer :). I asked that thing because the 4670 was not present on the "Which video cards are supported?" list in this page: http://www.techpowerup.com/rbe/ . I guess that list was not updated.

When I will buy the card, I'll try RBE for sure :)

Yeah, I don't update this list every time 'cause I'm too lazy. It's more like a suggestion of supported cards, you know...? :eek:

what i was getting at with Tray tools etc, is you can have a preset to downclock it below stock, after your finished playing games etc.

I see. Funny, isn't it? What people are doing with that fine ATI Tray Tools and its profile features is pretty much the same thing that ATI built into hardware for their cards... :ohwell:

mau3d

Yeah, I don't update this list every time 'cause I'm too lazy. It's more like a suggestion of supported cards, you know...? :eek:

Well.. at this point I suggest you to have in mind to update that card list. I think it will not take you so much time, and you will save more time in the future by avoid other questions like mine of this morning :).

Another small tip is to add, in that page, the date of the various releases of RBE (close to the release number), and the supported Windows versions (XP, Vista 32bit/64bit and so on). Small things to manage in a more professional way the software information, which I always found very useful :).

Thank you again for your help, and best regards from Italy :)

Ketxxx

Heedless Psychic
System Name Ravens Talon
Processor AMD R7 3700X @ 4.4GHz 1.3v
Motherboard MSI X570 Tomahawk
Cooling Modded 240mm Coolermaster Liquidmaster
Memory 2x16GB Klevv BoltX 3600MHz & custom timings
Video Card(s) Powercolor 6800XT Red Devil
Storage 250GB Asgard SSD, 1TB Integral SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda
Display(s) 27" BenQ Mobiuz
Case NZXT Phantom 530
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar DX 7.1 PCI-E
Power Supply 1000w Supernova
Software Windows 10 x64
Benchmark Scores Fast. I don't need epeen.
What about having a option to adjust memory timings like Nibitor and RaBit?

Baja

I would like adding support for the MSI 4850/4830 new design PCB (R4850-2Dxxx and R4830-T2Dxxx)

The voltage regulation controller chip of these boards is not in a Volterra VT11xx and is a RICHTEK RT8802A

geogeo

it will be nice if I can edit the shared memory size from system memory. my HD4350 has 256MB memory on card, but it still shares another 256MB from system, sot totally 512MB.

I think it is not necessory, 256MB is enough, I like more system mem for working. I want to disable the hyper-memory.

thanks.

System Name The Shroomiest One!
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950x
Motherboard ASRock x570 Taichi
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420
Memory 2x16gb T-Create Expert 3600C14
Video Card(s) NVidia RTX 3090 Founder Edition
Storage WD_BLACK SN850X 2tb, 2 x Team Group MP34 4tb
Display(s) LG 34GP83A-B
Case Meshify 2 XL
Audio Device(s) EVGA NuAudio
Power Supply EVGA 1000w Supernova
Mouse Glorious Model D
Keyboard Glorious GMMK Pro
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
how about some hd5XXX loving. I would really like to modify my stock clocks and voltages.

1BadMoJoe

System Name MoonShot
Processor Intel I7 DO/920
Motherboard ASUS Rampage II (GENE) v2.xx
Cooling Intel...Yeha Baby Its Whats Inside
Memory OCZ3X1600LV2G
Video Card(s) XfX 4870x2 807/991
Storage Paper and Pencils
Display(s) CRT Fast and High refresh rates
Case Cooler Master
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster X-FI custom Morels
Power Supply Corsair TX-750
Software Windows7 Pro 64bit
Benchmark Scores http://hwbot.org/community/submission/952881_1badmojoe_superpi_core_i7_920_8sec_870ms
Hey nice work on RBE, Thank you I've been dealing with ATI/XFX about the sensor input which controls the fan:banghead: I used RBE it to change the auto-fan slope in power play and set 797/990 as default for 3D mode. Now my card doesn't VRU on a XFX4870x2 stable @797/990 w/improved fan controler slope no matter what I throw at it. Thank you finnily some one who understands what the problem is.

I do have a suggestion/idea actullay its more of a question right now, as with the VT1165 that controls GPU voltage is there a chip that controls the memory voltage output?

For example my DDR5 memory reads an output 1.58v under load 1.61v@ idel, I would like to give it a 400mV push up to see what effacts would happen other than more heat output, which of course IS what the real problem is that causes a card to VRU.

Last edited:

BAGZZlash

RBE Author
Hey nice work on RBE, Thank you I've been dealing with ATI/XFX about the sensor input which controls the fan:banghead: I used RBE it to change the auto-fan in power play and set 797/990 as default for 3D mode. Now my card doesn't VRU on a XFX4870x2 stable @797/990 w/improved fan controler slope no matter what I throw at it. Thank you finnily some one who understands what the problem is.

I do have a suggestion/idea actullay its more of a question right now, as with the VT1165 that controls GPU voltage is there a chip that controls the memory voltage output?

For example my DDR5 memory reads an output 1.58v under load 1.61v@ idel, I would like to give it a 400mV push up to see what effacts would happen other than more heat output, which of course IS what the real problem is that causes a card to VRU.

As far as I know the 4870X2 has two VT1165s, one of them is supposed to control memory voltage. At least for the 5870 this seems to hold. Unfortunately I don't have much time right now to support RBE. Maybe I'll get some time in the weeks to come... :cool:

System Name Firebird
Processor Ryzen 7 1700X
Motherboard MSI X370 Titanium
Cooling Tt Water2.0 PRO (They use the same bracket as 3.0)
Memory G.Skill TridentZ 2x8GB 3200 15-15-15-35 B-Die (@3333 ATM)
Video Card(s) ASUS STRIX R9 390 8GB
Storage Too many. Samsung 750GB, 120GB 850 EVO, Seagate 1TB, Toshiba 1TB, OCZ 32GB Cache Drive
Display(s) Samsung 46" UN46D6050 1080P HDTV
Case Home-made tech bench.
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar Essence STX (I use HDMI though *cry*)
Power Supply CWT PUC1000V-S 1000W, Abee Supremer (import) 1200W currently used as primary.
Mouse Razer Copperhead (circa 2005)
Keyboard Tt Challenger Pro (AVOID! Keys wear super fast)
Software Win 10 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores Meh.
What about having a option to adjust memory timings like Nibitor and RaBit?

I agree. That was the only reason I DLed RBE, was hoping it had the option to do that with a buddy's 3850, after I had some good success with his 9800 N/P (1K point gain in Aquamark just by timings, no clock changes). Sadly RaBiT doesn't have support for anything newer than Feb-07 (assuming it didn't use a previous chip).

And not to beat a dead x1000 horse, but RaBiT is getting a bit long in the tooth. For my buddy's 9700 Pro and 9800 N/P I went right to RaBiT, except with every version I've tried, I get CRC errors. While so far I'm still able to successfully modify the BIOS, I am starting to think that there is a big compatibility issue with Vista. Every version says there is a problem with the RaBiT.sys, and that hasn't been updated since 06. Then there's something that got me kinda worried, is that the later versions report a few different timings than what older versions do, for the same exact BIOS that was opened. For example, the CL in 1.7.0 is 4, yet in 2.2.0 it's 7! Makes you wonder which one you're supposed to pay attention to... Now what all that has to do with a x1000 series card, is that lots of people still use those and more of them are making the change to Vista/7, and with my recent findings, I'm slightly reluctant to try re-modding my BIOS since I'm now using 7 :( While sure, I am really considering a 5770, I didn't plan to get rid of my 1950! I also tested out a few of the 1950 BIOS files in the repository, and either they had a few settings (literally) available, or the only thing that came up was the main page IDs and the video settings.

Anyways, if no x1000 cards, please consider the option to edit timings! With the exception of that, I really liked what RBE had to offer, so I must say you've done a great job with the program! :toast:

EDIT: Oh and if possible, not sure if it's a BIOS tweakable function, ability to increase memory voltage :)

Last edited:

Astennu

BAGZZlash

I wonder if it would be possible to add the memory voltage for the HD5xxx series. AMD had a tool that can change the memory voltage on the 5970. That might be the same on the other HD58 and HD57 cards. Do you think this is possible ?

I know you are still working on the GPU voltage control for the HD5 series. But in the past we had the X18xx and X19xx series that had the option aswell. That was very nice :)

But i realy love RBE thanks for your efforts !! (i also made a small donation because i use this tool quite a lot.)

Keep up the good work !

Edit:

I see someone else already requested this feature :)

BAGZZlash

RBE Author
BAGZZlash

I wonder if it would be possible to add the memory voltage for the HD5xxx series. AMD had a tool that can change the memory voltage on the 5970. That might be the same on the other HD58 and HD57 cards. Do you think this is possible ?

I know you are still working on the GPU voltage control for the HD5 series. But in the past we had the X18xx and X19xx series that had the option aswell. That was very nice :)

But i realy love RBE thanks for your efforts !! (i also made a small donation because i use this tool quite a lot.)

Keep up the good work !

Edit:

I see someone else already requested this feature :)

I wonder as well. :)
Problem is that software that programs the card's controller directly (during run-time) has to modify memory values in this controller. This controller is (more or less) well documented by ATI, so you just look up how to do what you want to do with the controller and code it.

Modifying the BIOS is a little different/more complicated. You have to figure out how and where the values you wanna change are saved inside the BIOS. There is no documentation around, so researching is the most time-eating part in developing RBE. It takes lots and lots of trial-and-error and without having one of those cards myself, it's almost impossible to find stuff out.

So I'm pretty willing to implement stuff and it's easy to do as long as I know what I'm doing there.
Maybe I'll get more time for researching in the future again, we'll see. However, thanks for your accolade! :toast:

Last edited:
System Name Firebird
Processor Ryzen 7 1700X
Motherboard MSI X370 Titanium
Cooling Tt Water2.0 PRO (They use the same bracket as 3.0)
Memory G.Skill TridentZ 2x8GB 3200 15-15-15-35 B-Die (@3333 ATM)
Video Card(s) ASUS STRIX R9 390 8GB
Storage Too many. Samsung 750GB, 120GB 850 EVO, Seagate 1TB, Toshiba 1TB, OCZ 32GB Cache Drive
Display(s) Samsung 46" UN46D6050 1080P HDTV
Case Home-made tech bench.
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar Essence STX (I use HDMI though *cry*)
Power Supply CWT PUC1000V-S 1000W, Abee Supremer (import) 1200W currently used as primary.
Mouse Razer Copperhead (circa 2005)
Keyboard Tt Challenger Pro (AVOID! Keys wear super fast)
Software Win 10 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores Meh.
BAGZZ: If you manage to find out where the memory voltage tables are (maybe see if ATi Tray Tools can as it lets me change the Memory I/O voltage on my 1950, but neither the GPU or Memory voltages take effect if I hit apply even though they both are there, only the Mem I/O lets me), you should make a "one stop shop" app for ATi video cards :) Pick up where Wizz left off with ATiTools, and have RBE let people do real time voltages for GPU/Memory + memory timings, overclocking, stress testing and sensor readouts, along with everything it currently offers. With modding a BIOS in general being a dangerous task, there really isn't much warning you'd have to add for the voltages and timings :) For me, even though I am still rocking my x1950, I have to use RaBiT, ATi Tray Tools and (while not a necessity) GPUTool to do all I want. RaBiT for real time GPU volting and mem timings, ATT for memory voltage and it's my primary app for overclocking and I prefer to use GPUTool for it's stress testing since it's FPS holds a constant where ATT jumps around 100+ fps and I don't know if what I changed actually had any impact :\

I know it's asking quite a bit, but might be a good goal to work towards ^_^