• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

RBG connector from case doesn't match MB connector to plug it in

System Name Kalima
Processor Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard RoG Strix B450-F
Cooling 6 120mm RGB case fans
Memory 4x16 (3200) Corsair Vengeance (RGB) Pro
Video Card(s) Zotac NVidia GeForce RTX2060
Storage 1x500G SSD 1x2T HDD
Display(s) 1 dell ?24"? on DP and a samsung 21" on HDMI
Case ASUS TUF GT301
Audio Device(s) Logitech G935 wireless headphones
Power Supply Thermaltake Gold 600W Rated 80+
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard Logitech G910
Software Win 10 (then lots of random games mostly :) )
Benchmark Scores 3D Mark time spy 7533
So, long story short had to do a build on the cheap and even a few used parts from my son's friends. I tossed it in my?10 year old box not realizing how much heat a Ryzen7 generates compared to it's 4 core predecessor that one of my son's friends lovingly deemed a bulldozer and was amazed I managed to play LoL on. Lighting is all new to me.
Immediate order of a new case and more fans. I have my RoG Strix B-450F MB which has 2 RGB headers with 4 pins on them. My ASUS Tuf GT301 case has a fan controller/hub on the back of the plate where the MB mounts. The plug for RGB off this hub only has 3 holes in it, and the one that normally just has no connector pin, isn't even drilled out. I'm at a loss and would love any input. I've had no luck searching the net and don't know what to do. (RTFM is a joke in this current predicament.) I have it where the fans are turning as that is a separate plug, but the 3 front case fans that came pre-installed and my CPU fan are currently stuck on rainbows (eeew) and everything else is lovely shades of purple.

I wanted to quick add that the case was labeled as Aura compatible.

The plug and the manual page for case I know what the 4 pin header on MB looks like, it's white. :)

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
Sounds like the controller is incompatible with the Motherboard.
There are RGB, and ARGB standards, you have one of each.
Unless you happen to have an included 4 pin to 3 pin adapter, you will have to buy a cheap RGB controller with 4 pin that plugs directly on to the Motherboard.
I've had headaches from similar with CoolerMaster controllers having the wrong pin out.

Processor AMD 5900x
Motherboard Asus x570 Strix-E
Cooling Hardware Labs
Memory G.Skill 4000c17 2x16gb
Video Card(s) RTX 3090
Storage Sabrent
Display(s) Samsung G9
Case Phanteks 719
Audio Device(s) Fiio K5 Pro
Power Supply EVGA 1000 P2
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Corsair K95
So, long story short had to do a build on the cheap and even a few used parts from my son's friends. I tossed it in my?10 year old box not realizing how much heat a Ryzen7 generates compared to it's 4 core predecessor that one of my son's friends lovingly deemed a bulldozer and was amazed I managed to play LoL on. Lighting is all new to me.
Immediate order of a new case and more fans. I have my RoG Strix B-450F MB which has 2 RGB headers with 4 pins on them. My ASUS Tuf GT301 case has a fan controller/hub on the back of the plate where the MB mounts. The plug for RGB off this hub only has 3 holes in it, and the one that normally just has no connector pin, isn't even drilled out. I'm at a loss and would love any input. I've had no luck searching the net and don't know what to do. (RTFM is a joke in this current predicament.) I have it where the fans are turning as that is a separate plug, but the 3 front case fans that came pre-installed and my CPU fan are currently stuck on rainbows (eeew) and everything else is lovely shades of purple.

I wanted to quick add that the case was labeled as Aura compatible.

The plug and the manual page for case I know what the 4 pin header on MB looks like, it's white. :)

That plug you posted is a converter for a specific type of board. You don't use it iirc. You have an Asus board which is a very well supported standard, ie. Aura software.

Anyways, your board is a 4pin RGB aka 12v. The case controller is 3pin ARGB aka 5v. The case's controller is redundant at this point. Basically the quick way thru this is to get a 4pin RGB hub and replace the case controller. Then get more 4pin RGB extensions to go from MB to Hub. And then Hub to everything else. The end result is you get to control things thru your mb using the Aura software from windoze.

Or you can get a 12v RGB to 5v ARGB converter like the one from Deepcool.

System Name Kalima
Processor Ryzen 7 3700X
Case ASUS TUF GT301
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard Logitech G910
System Name Kalima
Processor Ryzen 7 3700X
Case ASUS TUF GT301
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard Logitech G910
Update: so Amazon flaked on my order somehow, I just ordered the Deep Cool one from New Egg and should have soon.
Now I'm just hoping I am not missing some random cable to make it work.... I appreciate everyone's help on this. Does anyone know offhand why they don't like the breathing effect?