• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

RDX200 Problem - Tracing

Ravenhaft

Processor Athlon 64 X2 4200+ S939
Motherboard DFI Lanparty CF-DR RDX200
Memory CorsairXMSDDR@2-3-3-6
Video Card(s) Radeon x1900 xtx
Display(s) Westinghouse LCM-22w2
Power Supply OCZ Powerstream 600w
Hello, I'm new to posting on the forums, as I've never seen a need to post. However, I recently upgraded my computer, replacing my CPU, motherboard, and video card. I bought an AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+, a DFI Lanparty RDX200, and, slightly more recently, a brand new ATi Radeon X1800 XT. I have a 600 Watt Power supply, a brand new 36GB SATA Raptor running windows x64 (like a dream, takes less than 30 seconds to load windows). However, I have been plagued by frequent hard lockups, as well as restarts. The freezes have seemed to be random, and I game in a room that's about 30F (no heater, lol). It isn't overheating, as the lockups occur at odd times, such as when chatting or typing, not while playing games. I can play quake 4 at ultra quality, full everything for 3 hours and not get a lockup, then I might run Trillian for 10 and lock up. Right now I'm running a completely stripped down windows, only device drivers for the mobo, not even the video card drivers. So far, aside from right after initial startup, I have had no errors that were not directly caused by me. Allow me to explain further.
While in pursuit of this elusive problem, I decided to run some Sandra burn-in tests, in an attempt to figure out if I was indeed having a hardware problem, using the newest version of Sandra. Each benchmarking module, independently, ran fine with no difficulties or lockups, and benchmarked at around the expected areas. However, as soon as I attempted to run the comprehensive burn-in wizard, the computer would restart at test initialization, and would do one of two things. 1) It will reboot, and sit with the fans max blast, no video signal, until I hard power off from the PSU. 2) It will reboot, and restart normally.
The former is the more common of the two, but I have had both happen. What seemed strange to me was that the mainboard information tool in Sandra also caused crashes. Searching Sandra's website, I found three problem children known to cause that problem. After trial and error, I was able to get Sandra to run the Mainboard Information module with only one box unticked - Include Temperature, Fan Speed(s) & Voltage(s) Information. Ah hah! The problem. This is my third install of x64 windows, and I should have been tipped off that this was potentially the problem , as any time I would try to remove the atitool driver outside of Safe Mode I was met by the same problem. I'm not sure if this is something specific to my motherboard, the model, or what, and I know this motherboard is still quite new, however, I am at my wits end, and am seeking any aid or assistance you fine individuals may be able to offer. I can provide any more information, if anyone is interested, I tried to give the broad scope of my problem.

System Name Onus
Processor E8500 @ 3.95ghz ~1.25v
Motherboard ASUS P5E Deluxe
Cooling Scythe Orochi cpu, 5x 120mm Zalman red LED case fans, stock GPU coolers
Memory 8gb (4x2gb) G.Skill PC8000 5-5-5-15
Video Card(s) 2x ASUS 3870x2s
Storage 4x160gb RAID 0 Main, 2x 500gb RAID 0 media storage.
Display(s) LG W2600H
Case Lian Li PC-A70B, painted black and other modded aspects :)
Audio Device(s) HT Omega Striker. Klipsch RF-3II fronts, Yamaha NS-A222 rears, Klipsch RC-3II center, Klipsch SUB12
Power Supply Corsair CMPSU-750TX
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64, lots of games, photoshop n stuff.
Well I have ordered that motherboard as well as an x1800 XT and they should be here sometime early next week. So I will let you know if I have any problems with it once I get it. As of now I'm thinking it might be Windows x64. If you have a copy of x86 I would try installing that and see if everything runs okay. Good luck man.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
yes id try x86 and see if that fixes your problem also have you tried installing the drivers for your card? does it do the samething?

jjcom

What brand is your PSU? Even though it's 600W, it may not be able to supply the power you need. An Aspire isn't as good of a PSU as OCZ, that sorta thing.

Try flashing to the latest BIOS for your board, several problems have been fixed my DFI with the latest BIOS.

Ravenhaft

Processor Athlon 64 X2 4200+ S939
Motherboard DFI Lanparty CF-DR RDX200
Memory CorsairXMSDDR@2-3-3-6
Video Card(s) Radeon x1900 xtx
Display(s) Westinghouse LCM-22w2
Power Supply OCZ Powerstream 600w
Well, it turns out that it WAS my PSU. I just got done running Civ 4 for 4 hours (usually would crash between 5minutes to 1 hour in). God, I tried everything, but now I have an OCZ 600 watt, hah. over 200 bucks, damned right it'd better fix it. And it did! So the moral of the story is, the X1800 XT sucks a LOT of power.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
SWEET DEAL DUDE!! enjoy:)

jjcom

That OCZ 600W PSU is very nice. I've got the 520W model, very nice PSU. :) You'll be happy with it :)