• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Real Temp Feature Requests

SuperJoker

The original retail Core 2 Duos were CPUID 6F6 (B2 stepping) and the retail QX6700 was a B3 stepping with a CPUID of 6F7. Your CPU has a CPUID of 6F5 (B1 stepping) so it's definitely an early Quad.

http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SL9UL

There is a program called i7 Turbo in the RealTemp 3.30 RC11 download. How many cores does it show for your CPU? I'm trying to decide if this is a unicode problem or something else.

Take a close look, All 4 cores are seen by windows XP x64 sp2, I changed the picture that I last linked to.

SuperJoker

The original retail Core 2 Duos were CPUID 6F6 (B2 stepping) and the retail QX6700 was a B3 stepping with a CPUID of 6F7. Your CPU has a CPUID of 6F5 (B1 stepping) so it's definitely an early Quad.

http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SL9UL

There is a program called i7 Turbo in the RealTemp 3.30 RC11 download. How many cores does it show for your CPU? I'm trying to decide if this is a unicode problem or something else.

I've updated a couple posts here for You to look over.

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
i7 Turbo is showing your 4 threads but the internal timers used to report the Multiplier do not seem to be functioning correctly on your ES CPU. This will help me get things sorted out for you. I work on RealTemp as much as time permits so give me a few days and hopefully I will have a solution for your problem.

SuperJoker

i7 Turbo is showing your 4 threads but the internal timers used to report the Multiplier do not seem to be functioning correctly on your ES CPU. This will help me get things sorted out for you. I work on RealTemp as much as time permits so give me a few days and hopefully I will have a solution for your problem.

Ok thanks. I'll be standing by.

SuperJoker

Ok Here's the image, Nothing changed when I pressed update. Oh and XP Pro x64 is based on Windows Server 2003, I hope You knew that, If You did, Pardon Me. :eek:

Attachments

• set-thread.jpg
    set-thread.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 603

unclewebb

That little testing program shows that your processor is working correctly.

The Microsoft SetThreadAffinityMask() function forces the program to move to different cores. You follow the numbers down the Core 0 Column and then the Core 1 Column, Core 2 Column and finally the Core 3 column.

In this program, cores have this value:

Core 0 - 1
Core 1 - 2
Core 2 - 4
Core 3 - 8

When this program first starts it reports 15 which is equivalent to 1 + 2 + 4 + 8 which means the task has access to all 4 cores. My program then locks it to Core 0 so it reports 1 and when it locks it to core 2 it reports 4 and when it locks it to core 3 it reports 8. This shows all your cores are there.

The RealTemp code organizes the threads so they are associated with the correct core. The code I have written works 100% in Vista and Windows 7 but in some versions of XP and Server 2003, the MS functions I use to query the CPU about how many cores it has sometimes returns an incorrect value.

Anyway, the information you have provided me will greatly help me come up with a fix for you. I might have to come up with an INI option like ForceQuad=1 or some other trick to make sure that it has access to all 4 cores. I should have some time the next few days to work on RealTemp and hopefully get this problem solved for you.

SuperJoker

That little testing program shows that your processor is working correctly.

The Microsoft SetThreadAffinityMask() function forces the program to move to different cores. You follow the numbers down the Core 0 Column and then the Core 1 Column, Core 2 Column and finally the Core 3 column.

In this program, cores have this value:

Core 0 - 1
Core 1 - 2
Core 2 - 4
Core 3 - 8

When this program first starts it reports 15 which is equivalent to 1 + 2 + 4 + 8 which means the task has access to all 4 cores. My program then locks it to Core 0 so it reports 1 and when it locks it to core 2 it reports 4 and when it locks it to core 3 it reports 8. This shows all your cores are there.

The RealTemp code organizes the threads so they are associated with the correct core. The code I have written works 100% in Vista and Windows 7 but in some versions of XP and Server 2003, the MS functions I use to query the CPU about how many cores it has sometimes returns an incorrect value.

Anyway, the information you have provided me will greatly help me come up with a fix for you. I might have to come up with an INI option like ForceQuad=1 or some other trick to make sure that it has access to all 4 cores. I should have some time the next few days to work on RealTemp and hopefully get this problem solved for you.
Ok, Cool.

unclewebb

After many months, I think I finally figured out what the problem is that causes cores to go missing.

In my bios there is a setting called CPUID Max Value Limit. This should be disabled so all software can see all your cores. I found a way in software to disable this so if you upgrade to RealTemp 3.35 then hopefully this problem will be gone no matter how your bios is set.

http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/3/3/1794507/RealTempBeta.zip

Thanks SuperJoker for your help getting this long time problem solved. :toast:

SuperJoker

After many months, I think I finally figured out what the problem is that causes cores to go missing.

In my bios there is a setting called CPUID Max Value Limit. This should be disabled so all software can see all your cores. I found a way in software to disable this so if you upgrade to RealTemp 3.35 then hopefully this problem will be gone no matter how your bios is set.

http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/3/3/1794507/RealTempBeta.zip

Thanks SuperJoker for your help getting this long time problem solved. :toast:

You're quite welcome unclewebb, I think the max value limit selection is disabled, But I don't know for sure and a reboot right now would possibly prove fruitless cause of My current setup, Although this will change in November as I can then get a purple PS/2 to USB keyboard adapter for the old BTC Windows AT keyboard(It has an AT to PS/2 adapter cable installed, works great still, almost bullet proof software wise), As money is tight right now. :D

Later.

System Name 9th Level
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard MSI X570 Carbon wifi
Cooling EK Basic 360, x2 250mm, x1 140mm, x1 120mm fans.
Memory 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz.
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3080 12GB FTW3
Storage 500gb ssd, 2tb ssd, 6tb HD.
Display(s) MSI 27" Curved 1440p@165hz
Case HAF 932
Power Supply Corsair HX850W
Software Windows 10 64bit
Would it be possible to add support for AMD processors in the future?

If you could program it to work on AMD processors, you would make alot of people happy.

Last edited:

unclewebb

If you could program it to work on AMD processors, you would make a lot of people happy.

I'm sure it would make a lot of people happy but unfortunately, writing free software doesn't pay the bills and that doesn't make my wife very happy. :laugh:

After 500,000 downloads there have been 12 donations which covers the cost of my temperature gun but not any of the other hardware I've purchased or any of the time I've put into RealTemp.

I wish I was a rich guy and I had more time for this project and many others but at the moment I don't.

Athlon2K15

HyperVtX™
Processor Intel Core i9 11900K
Motherboard MSI Z590 Carbon EK X
Cooling Custom Water
Memory Team DDR4 4000MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS TUF RTX 3080 OC
Storage WD WN850 1TB
Display(s) 43" LG NanoCell 4K 120Hz
Power Supply Asus Thor 1200w
Mouse Asus Strix Evolve
Keyboard Asus Strix Claymore
where do we send donations?

unclewebb

If you are a user of RealTemp, there is a Donation button built into the About... window. If more users would have clicked on that and sent a dollar or two during the last year that would have been plenty to keep these projects going but now it's too late.

I've decided to keep RealTemp freeware without adding any adware, Google tool bars or other junk to it but that decision means that further development has come to an end. I might add ATI graphic card temperature monitoring to RealTemp but other than that minor project, that's about it.

If you are a user of RealTemp, there is a Donation button built into the About... window. If more users would have clicked on that and sent a dollar or two during the last year that would have been plenty to keep these projects going but now it's too late.

I've decided to keep RealTemp freeware without adding any adware, Google tool bars or other junk to it but that decision means that further development has come to an end. I might add ATI graphic card temperature monitoring to RealTemp but other than that minor project, that's about it.

sad to hear that as it was a nifty little program
so you wont be developing it anymore?

System Name Rocket
Processor Ryzen 3600X
Motherboard ASRock B450 PRO4
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory HyperX Predator Black 16GB DDR4 3200MHz CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce GTX 1060 GAMING X 6GB
Storage ADATA SX8200 PRO 512GB + Intel 535 Series 120GB + WD 6400AAKS
Display(s) Benq EW2420
Case Antec P182
Power Supply Antec Signature 650
Software Win 10
Sadly, no. :mad:
This is my worst day from this year. :(
But I understand you my friend. You are a good person and I thank you for the honor to be one of your beta testers. It was a pleasure.
Good luck and have a nice life. :toast:

orditonry

perhaps we should start collating similar requests together?
for example, shield related stuff could go into a shields thread. the poster could then collate all the different requests into an easy list.
im happy to kick off a shield one, just post in it and ill add the request to the first post

unclewebb

RealTemp development is pretty much done. A few minor bug fixes and minor features but there won't likely be any more significant development. It does what it's designed to do. Core temperatures really aren't that important. Everyone used to think they were really, really important but most CPUs run just fine even when they are very hot so there is no need to get too concerned about your core temperature.

System Name Cool Runnings Mark 2
Processor i7 4770k No OC
Motherboard MSI Z87 MPower
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory GSkill TridentX 2400MHz 32GB
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1070 Ti Duke, EVGA GTX 780 AC+
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB SSD, 3 more HDDs
Display(s) 2x MSI 32" 2560 x 1440 144Hz Optix MAG321CQR, Acer G276HLDbd Black 27" 6ms
Case Corsair 600t
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Razer DeathAdder
Keyboard Steelseries Merc Stealth
Software Win10 Pro 64-bit
hey uncle webb what do you think about adding a NorthBridge temp feature, similiar to the GPU temp feature?

EDIT: n/m, just read that you stopped developement :(

unclewebb

If I knew how to add NorthBridge temperature monitoring I would have done it already. RealTemp is "pretty much done" but that doesn't mean I won't write a few more lines of code here and there. :)

On many motherboards, it's probably more important to monitor your NorthBridge than it is to monitor your CPU temperature. Almost all enthusiasts have really good cooling solutions on their CPU but most just use the OEM cooler for their NorthBridge which isn't always adequate.

I'm just working on another project called ThrottleStop to help out the laptop owners. After that I'll probably have another look at RealTemp. Thanks for the idea.

System Name Cool Runnings Mark 2
Processor i7 4770k No OC
Motherboard MSI Z87 MPower
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory GSkill TridentX 2400MHz 32GB
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1070 Ti Duke, EVGA GTX 780 AC+
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB SSD, 3 more HDDs
Display(s) 2x MSI 32" 2560 x 1440 144Hz Optix MAG321CQR, Acer G276HLDbd Black 27" 6ms
Case Corsair 600t
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Razer DeathAdder
Keyboard Steelseries Merc Stealth
Software Win10 Pro 64-bit
np unclewebb. i love realtemp and have it set to start on start-up, but monitoring the NB was something i always wanted to do also, and using another program to do so is something im loath to do because i love realtemp so much.

System Name Rocket
Processor Ryzen 3600X
Motherboard ASRock B450 PRO4
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory HyperX Predator Black 16GB DDR4 3200MHz CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce GTX 1060 GAMING X 6GB
Storage ADATA SX8200 PRO 512GB + Intel 535 Series 120GB + WD 6400AAKS
Display(s) Benq EW2420
Case Antec P182
Power Supply Antec Signature 650
Software Win 10
You have one via RealTemp plugin for RivaTuner.
As a Intel user it's inconceivable not to use RealTemp so like a good video card user it's inconceivable not to use RivaTuner. :D

Clement

System Name Work Horse
Processor E5200@3.000@1.2 (12.5x240) (Limited by mobo mem volts) ::[Evil Glare]-I'm gonna mod you!::
Motherboard 4COREDUAL-SATA2 R2
Cooling AC Freezer Pro 7; AC Accelero S1 <-These two are bad ass!
Memory (2gb G.Skill F2-8500-CL5D-2GBPK) @ 1.9v/320MHz/3:4/4-4-4-10-16-2T
Video Card(s) X1950GT 621/729 (Will do more)
Storage Seagate 320; 2x1TB WD
Display(s) ViewSonic 19" Widescreen
Case Black, Sturdy.
Audio Device(s) Onboard DAC works great.
Power Supply Enermax EG365P-VE
Software Fedora x64; WinXP32
Benchmark Scores Once, I programmed for a little over 22.5 hours straight.
I'd like to see an option to display in Fahrenheit.

EDIT: Found the option in the file: RealTemp.ini. Thanks!

For some reason I like to read it in F, and talk in C. :roll:

I suppose that's what I get for being American, lol.

Congratulations and THANK YOU on your venture to provide a more accurate reading!

Last edited:

xaudiox

GPU temp

There is a really cool feature of realtemp that does not work for me.
The GPU temp is always 0c , it is because my Asus EN8800gt uses a different method for the temps.
RivaTuner also displays 0c untill i found this plugin.. "G92 Temperature Monitor Plugin for RivaTuner"
Here : hxxp://levicki.net/downloads/

My question is could you use the info in the RT plugin into Realtemp ?
As it would be fantastic for me to have 1 small (portable) app for CPU + GPU temps.

Regards, xaudiox.

System Name N/A
Processor i7-4790K
Motherboard Asus Z97-A
Cooling Thermalright True Power 140
Memory 2 x 8GB GeIL Potenza 2400Mhz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 970 Gaming
Storage 2TB Seagate Barracuda
Display(s) 24" Samsung 1080p LED Monitor
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro
Power Supply Corsair TX650W
Mouse Logitech MX518