• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

real time compressor/amplifier programe help

System Name Ultra 64
Processor NEC VR4300 (MIPS R4300i)
Motherboard proprietary design
Cooling Fanless aircooled
Memory 4.5MB 250 MHz RDRAM
Video Card(s) 62.5 MHz Reality Coprocessor
Storage 32 - 512 Mbit ROM Cartridge
Display(s) 720x576
Case Clear Blue Funtastic
Audio Device(s) 16-bit CD quality
Power Supply proprietary design
Mouse N64 mouse for use with N64DD
Keyboard N64 keyboard for use with N64DD
im making a programme that checks a song playing if its below zero level it will amplify it to that level. reason being I have my sound system at allot of parties and some songs are not at zero level so when played there allot quieter meaning i have to rank my amp up to get the volume i want putting un-needed strain on it.

My question is i want the programme to take effect before the audio is sent out of the computer, to work in real time. I dont no how to do that. I no how to make the audio editing side of it but is there anything extra i need to do to make it run in real time or will it automaticly do it? Hope that makes sense
ste

System Name i7-PC / HTPC / iMac
Processor i7 3820 / Phenom II 940
Motherboard GIGABYTE G1.ASSASSIN2 / M3A79-T Deluxe
Cooling Corsair Hydro H100i / Scythe II (HS only)
Memory G.SKILL Trident X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600mhz / 4GB DDR2 1066 (@800) Corsair Dominator
Video Card(s) GB Radeon HD 7950s 3GB / GB Radeon HD 7950s 3GB
Storage 2x 80GB Intel X-25, 2x600gb SATA, 1x1tb 5400RPM storage /1x600GB, 3x500GB,1x160,1x120 SATA
Display(s) 1x 27" Yamakasi / Vizio 42" HDTV
Case Lian Li Lancool PC-K58 / Antec 900
Audio Device(s) HT Omega Striker 7.1 / Onboard and HDMI from ATi Card
Power Supply PC Power & Cooling 750W / 610W
Software Ubuntu / Windows 8.1 Pro / OS X / PHPStorm / Gaming
it'd be much better to just normalize your tracks. search for audio leveling/normalizing and it will just change the db in all your files, making them at an even level - not too quiet or loud compared to the others.

itunes does it, mediamonkey does it, tons of apps do it.

do it real time every time would be open to so many issues, and there is no need if you just normalize the tracks. in my experience it does not lower quality. if you were worried about that, i think it would be worth it to keep a backup of the ones you want to asave, and normalize them all. just so much easier.

System Name Ultra 64
Display(s) 720x576
meh but the way it compresses it is, well ,crap, the quiet parts are cut down say i play track with a very heavy bass drum thumping well it i use the software like that to compress it to the same level it ruins the sound its hard to explain, its like the bass drum is loud then theres a short gap before and after it where everything quiet then back to the same level if that makes sense. Plus i like the challenge and for my uni course when i start my second year im making VSTI Pluggins for cubase etc so this would give me a heads up with making compressors etc.

But if i have no luck i will go that way thanks for the input mate

Processor Celeron 430 (Conroe-L)
Motherboard ASUS Rampage Formula
Cooling Water, Zalman Reserator XT
Memory Corsair Dominator PC2-8500 DDR2-1000
Video Card(s) Visiontek 2600 PRO
Storage Maxtor Maxline 3, more Maxtors
Display(s) Acer P243w 24"
Case Aspire X-Navigator ATXA9N-BK
Audio Device(s) Mbox
Power Supply Thermaltake Toughpower 750w
Software Protools and a bunch of racing games...
I'd rather compress than normalize. You could normalize the peak values and the song could still be quiet. Alternatively you could normalize the RMS values (i think, correct me if i'm wrong) and risk clipping the peaks.

I'd compress it, since dynamic range is somewhat less important in a "club/party setting", its not an opera house after all. No help on code though, sorry.

System Name Ultra 64
Display(s) 720x576
I'd rather compress than normalize. You could normalize the peak values and the song could still be quiet. Alternatively you could normalize the RMS values (i think, correct me if i'm wrong) and risk clipping the peaks.

I'd compress it, since dynamic range is somewhat less important in a "club/party setting", its not an opera house after all. No help on code though, sorry.

thats great info though thanks :toast: