• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Really new to water cooling, I need some ball park spending figures

lewdgripp

I built my first computer roughly 6 months ago and I just did a barebones build. I accidentally bought an overclocking cpu but I have been using an Intel stock cooler, now that I've been in the game for a little bit i figure, hey, go big or go home. I am also going to water cool my GPU because why not. I have an nVidia GeForce gtx 750 ti 2GB Ftw acx graphics card, I was wondering if I could get an AIO for a single loop GPU/CPU or if that would be custom, either way I need to know a minimum and recommended spending range. I don't really have a budget, since it isn't time sensitive I'll just save up if I need to. Thanks!

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
Honestly, I wouldn't bother water cooling a 750Ti 2GB. Its a weak card, doesn't use a lot of power in the first place and being the ACX from EVGA, its likely pretty darn quiet already.

That said, you didn't mention what CPU you actually have.

I would put an AIO on the CPU, and upgrade the GPU if you game at 1080p as 2GB isn't really enough for a lot of titles already, and it doesn't really have a lot of horsepower in the first place.

CAPSLOCKSTUCK

Spaced Out Lunar Tick
System Name Party On
Processor Xeon w 3520
Motherboard DFI Lanparty
Cooling Big tower thing
Memory 6 gb Ballistix Tracer
Video Card(s) HD 7970
Case a plank of wood
Audio Device(s) seperate amp and 6 big speakers
Power Supply Corsair
Mouse cheap
Keyboard under going restoration

Outback Bronze

Staff member
System Name Raptor Baked
Processor 14900k w.c.
Motherboard Z790 Hero
Cooling w.c.
Memory 32GB Hynix
Video Card(s) Zotac 4080 w.c.
Storage 2TB Kingston kc3k
Display(s) Gigabyte 34" Curved
Case Corsair 460X
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply PCIe5 850w
Mouse Asus
Keyboard Corsair
Software Win 11
Benchmark Scores Cool n Quiet.

peche

Thermaltake fanboy
System Name Athenna
Processor intel i7 3770 *Dellided*
Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 Rev. 1.1
Cooling Thermaltake Water 3.0 Pro + Tt Riing12 x2 / Tt ThunderBlade / Gelid Slim 120UV fans
Memory 16GB DRR3 Kingoston with Custom Tt spreaders + HyperX Fan
Video Card(s) GeForce GTX 980 4GB Nvidia Sample
Storage Crucial M4 SSD 64GB's / Seagate Barracuda 2TB / Seagate Barracuda 320GB's
Display(s) 22" LG FLATRON 1920 x 1280p
Case Thermaltake Commander G42 Window
Audio Device(s) On-board Dolby 5.1+ Kingston HyperX Cloud 1
Power Supply Themaltake TR2 700W 80plus bronce & APC Pro backup 1000Va
Mouse Tt eSports Level 10M Rev 1.0 Diamond Black & Tt Conkor "L" mouse pad
Keyboard Tt eSports KNUCKER
Software windows 10x64Pro
Benchmark Scores well I've fried a 775' P4 12 years ago, that counts?
getting an AIO watercooler is the best option, simple to use, maintenance free, and also pretty great performance, don't waste money on waterblocks for 750ti video card,
fill your speces here… don’t know why people don’t fill them …

I built my first computer roughly 6 months ago and I just did a barebones build. I accidentally bought an overclocking cpu but I have been using an Intel stock cooler, now that I've been in the game for a little bit i figure, hey, go big or go home. I am also going to water cool my GPU because why not. I have an nVidia GeForce gtx 750 ti 2GB Ftw acx graphics card, I was wondering if I could get an AIO for a single loop GPU/CPU or if that would be custom, either way I need to know a minimum and recommended spending range. I don't really have a budget, since it isn't time sensitive I'll just save up if I need to. Thanks!

1) Now what do you mean by "overclocking CPU." This traditionally means something with either k or x designation (from Intel) or almost anything from AMD. It's been stretched recently to include the Pentium Anniversary edition. Even assuming a few things (Intel, and the like), that gives you no idea what kind of cooling you'll need (new enthusiast platform, mainstream platform, and what generation).

2) You've got a GPU that costs just over $100 in the US. You are going to try and water cool that? The cost to performance would be a joke, especially considering water blocks (if even available) would likely cost almost as much as that card.

3) Scale. I used a one word response here because you're going from a beginner's build up to an experienced build. You likely don't have the skills. This isn't meant to discourage, but destroying a system because of a water leak makes everyone a slight bit touchy. I don't want anyone to be turned off the hobby because their first experience was terrible and a huge money pit.

Now that we've got the preliminaries out of the way, allow me to give you some advice. Buy a high end air cooler. It's just about as effective as an AIO, and they generally are a small fraction of the price. That will put you miles ahead of the stock coolers, that aren't fit to use as doorstops.

Once you've got the air cooler, play around with overclocking. Get that CPU to a stable overclock, then play around with it to improve the thing. A decent air cooler can cover everything but aggressive overclocks and high end systems. If you chose a 750 video card you're not really capable of either.

Once you've got the overclock at its maximum, likely at a thermal limit, think about buying an AIO. Unless you're doing some heavy computing, it's unlikely you'll need to overclock more than an air cooler can provide. If you do need it, the AIO is a good and idiot proof system. Remember, everyone's an idiot until they've made mistakes and discovered what not to do.

Now that your CPU is setup, play with the GPU. Honestly, the 750 doesn't have a lot of overclocking potential (from my limited experience). What it does well is drop in, stay relatively cool, and work with little intervention.

If you did want to do a custom loop you're looking at $50-150 for the pump, $60-150 for the block, $40-200 for the radiator, $20-80 for the reservoir, and another $10-30 for the tubing. Depending upon the tubing, you've also got to invest into fittings, which are anywhere from a few cents (barbs and ratchet clamps), to $10 a piece (threaded compression fittings). I'd recommend that if you really want to get some experience you buy one of the introductory kits, to make sure you've got everything for a CPU loop. Again, that GPU just is not worth the effort.

MxPhenom 216

ASIC Engineer
System Name Ryzen Reflection
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aorus Master
Cooling 2x EK PE360 | TechN AM4 AMD Block Black | EK Quantum Vector Trinity GPU Nickel + Plexi
Memory Teamgroup T-Force Xtreem 2x16GB B-Die 3600 @ 14-14-14-28-42-288-2T 1.45v
Video Card(s) Zotac AMP HoloBlack RTX 3080Ti 12G | 950mV 1950Mhz
Storage WD SN850 500GB (OS) | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB (Games_1) | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB (Games_2)
Display(s) Asus XG27AQM 240Hz G-Sync Fast-IPS | Gigabyte M27Q-P 165Hz 1440P IPS | Asus 24" IPS (portrait mode)
Case Lian Li PC-011D XL | Custom cables by Cablemodz
Audio Device(s) FiiO K7 | Sennheiser HD650 + Beyerdynamic FOX Mic
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 850
Mouse Razer Viper v2 Pro
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Tournament Edition
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit
getting an AIO watercooler is the best option, simple to use, maintenance free, and also pretty great performance, don't waste money on waterblocks for 750ti video card,
fill your speces here… don’t know why people don’t fill them …

If your only cooling a CPU sure, but if you are wanting to cool a GPU or multiple GPUs in addition to the CPU, you most definitely will need to do a custom loop or get one of the swiftech kits and expand it in the future. And for the OP, it will be a waste of time and money watercooling such a low end GPU.

I'm not totally a fan of AIO unless its the swifteech kits but that's just me. I know plenty of people happy with their AIO.

1) Now what do you mean by "overclocking CPU." This traditionally means something with either k or x designation (from Intel) or almost anything from AMD. It's been stretched recently to include the Pentium Anniversary edition. Even assuming a few things (Intel, and the like), that gives you no idea what kind of cooling you'll need (new enthusiast platform, mainstream platform, and what generation).

2) You've got a GPU that costs just over $100 in the US. You are going to try and water cool that? The cost to performance would be a joke, especially considering water blocks (if even available) would likely cost almost as much as that card.

3) Scale. I used a one word response here because you're going from a beginner's build up to an experienced build. You likely don't have the skills. This isn't meant to discourage, but destroying a system because of a water leak makes everyone a slight bit touchy. I don't want anyone to be turned off the hobby because their first experience was terrible and a huge money pit.

Now that we've got the preliminaries out of the way, allow me to give you some advice. Buy a high end air cooler. It's just about as effective as an AIO, and they generally are a small fraction of the price. That will put you miles ahead of the stock coolers, that aren't fit to use as doorstops.

Once you've got the air cooler, play around with overclocking. Get that CPU to a stable overclock, then play around with it to improve the thing. A decent air cooler can cover everything but aggressive overclocks and high end systems. If you chose a 750 video card you're not really capable of either.

Once you've got the overclock at its maximum, likely at a thermal limit, think about buying an AIO. Unless you're doing some heavy computing, it's unlikely you'll need to overclock more than an air cooler can provide. If you do need it, the AIO is a good and idiot proof system. Remember, everyone's an idiot until they've made mistakes and discovered what not to do.

Now that your CPU is setup, play with the GPU. Honestly, the 750 doesn't have a lot of overclocking potential (from my limited experience). What it does well is drop in, stay relatively cool, and work with little intervention.

If you did want to do a custom loop you're looking at $50-150 for the pump, $60-150 for the block, $40-200 for the radiator, $20-80 for the reservoir, and another $10-30 for the tubing. Depending upon the tubing, you've also got to invest into fittings, which are anywhere from a few cents (barbs and ratchet clamps), to $10 a piece (threaded compression fittings). I'd recommend that if you really want to get some experience you buy one of the introductory kits, to make sure you've got everything for a CPU loop. Again, that GPU just is not worth the effort.

Quite the long winded post.

Last edited:
Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
Never anything concise from the lilhof! :p

....but typically informative nonetheless!

If your only cooling a CPU sure, but if you are wanting to cool a GPU or multiple GPUs in addition to the CPU, you most definitely will need to do a custom loop or get one of the swiftech kits and expand it in the future. And for the OP, it will be a waste of time and money watercooling such a low end GPU.

I'm not totally a fan of AIO unless its the swifteech kits but that's just me. I know plenty of people happy with their AIO.

Quite the long winded post.

I tried short, and people act as though I don't know what I'm talking about. If you're offended, just click on that little ignore button. I don't care enough to be offended by that.

I don't have enough "give a craps" left to offer anything else.

System Name RadActive Dragon & Black Dragon
Processor i7 5960X & 1090T
Motherboard Gigabyte X99-UD3P & Asus Sabertooth 990FX
Cooling EK EVO & Corsair H50
Memory GSkill TridentZ 32GBs 3200MHz & Vegeance 8GBs 1600MHz
Video Card(s) 2x 980Ti & 960 FTW
Storage Samsung Pro 256GB & Intel 120GB
Case Heavy modded Haf X & NZXT Apollo
Power Supply AX1200 & AX1200i
Software Windows 7 & Ubuntu 15.04
Probably best to go CPU water cooling first to get the idea for it. Putting a water block on a CPU is far easier than a GPU. Plus, usually you only water cool the high end cards unless you plan to fold 24/7 and OC the crud out of a low end card (like the poor 960 I have with a H55 smacked to it).

AIOs are far easier to deal with. If going custom, research, research, research, plus ask questions to ensure parts you want will work together.

CAPSLOCKSTUCK

Spaced Out Lunar Tick
System Name Party On
Processor Xeon w 3520
Motherboard DFI Lanparty
Cooling Big tower thing
Memory 6 gb Ballistix Tracer
Video Card(s) HD 7970
Case a plank of wood
Audio Device(s) seperate amp and 6 big speakers
Power Supply Corsair
Mouse cheap
Keyboard under going restoration
I tried short, and people act as though I don't know what I'm talking about. If you're offended, just click on that little ignore button. I don't care enough to be offended by that.

I don't have enough "give a craps" left to offer anything else.

If i was a quicker typist i would type more, i ALWAYS appreciate a full and complete opinion and am grateful for the time that people take.

I have Corsair H50 which is good, reasonably priced and simple to fit i am using it on a Phenom ii550 with a 25% o/c
I have Corsair H100 which is very good, costs more and is simple to fit, i am using it on a Xeon X5670 with 55% o/c

theonedub

habe fidem
System Name Erakith || AsRock NUCS
Processor AMD ThreadRipper 2990WX ES (32c/64t 3.5ghz@1.02v) || Intel i7 1360P Raptor Lake-P
Motherboard MSI X399 MEG Creation || AsRock OE
Cooling EK Supremacy TR4 Full Nickel, D5 w/ EK Top, 2X EK-CoolStream XTX 360 & Photon 270 Res || OE
Memory 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair Vengeance PRO RGB DDR4 3000|| 2x16GB Corsair DDR4
Video Card(s) Vega 64 EK FC|| Intel Iris Xe
Storage 250gb WD Black NVMe & (2) 2TB Intel 660p NVMe || 2TB Corsair MP600 Pro
Display(s) 34" Dell Ultrasharp U3415W
Case CaseLabs Merlin SM8 || Aluminum Unibody
Power Supply Corsair HX1000
Mouse Corsair Harpoon Wireless RGB
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB w/ Cherry MX Silent
Software Windows 10 Pro x64 || WIndows 11 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores WCG & F@H Only
The 750ti has excellent OC potential- especially the EVGA ACX model w/ 6pin. Plenty of posts on forums with easy to follow guides that can take the 750ti to very high clocks. I used the EVGA 750ti SSC in a spare parts build not too long ago and got great results and that was without the 6pin. In either case, you will not need to water cool that card at all.

Kanan

Tech Enthusiast & Gamer
System Name eazen corp | Xentronon 7.2
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X // PBO max.
Motherboard Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus
Cooling Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 w/ AM4 kit // 3x Corsair AF140L case fans (2 in, 1 out)
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB 2x16 GB DDR4 3600 @ 3800, CL16-19-19-39-58-1T, 1.4 V
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 2080 Ti modded to MATRIX // 2000-2100 MHz Core / 1938 MHz G6
Storage Silicon Power P34A80 1TB NVME/Samsung SSD 830 128GB&850 Evo 500GB&F3 1TB 7200RPM/Seagate 2TB 5900RPM
Display(s) Samsung 27" Curved FS2 HDR QLED 1440p/144Hz&27" iiyama TN LED 1080p/120Hz / Samsung 40" IPS 1080p TV
Case Corsair Carbide 600C
Audio Device(s) HyperX Cloud Orbit S / Creative SB X AE-5 @ Logitech Z906 / Sony HD AVR @PC & TV @ Teufel Theater 80
Power Supply EVGA 650 GQ
Mouse Logitech G700 @ Steelseries DeX // Xbox 360 Wireless Controller
Keyboard Corsair K70 LUX RGB /w Cherry MX Brown switches
VR HMD Still nope
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 15 095 Time Spy | P29 079 Firestrike | P35 628 3DM11 | X67 508 3DM Vantage Extreme
I always post more info if people ask for more, my first post is always short, nice and to the point to be useful enough to answer the question asked and that's what most people want I think.

@OP: get a good air cooler or AIO water cooler and maybe a new graphics card too, seems like a unbalanced build to have a expensive Intel K-CPU with a low budget card like the 750 Ti. If you want to do some serious overclocking with that CPU get yourself a nice big cooler with 1 or 2 120+ mm air units on it. BeQuiet, Noctua, Coolermaster, Thermalright ... and a lot more, just to name a few, are good brands. If you still want a water cooler Corsair is a good brand, Swiftech etc. as people already posted.

The 750ti has excellent OC potential- especially the EVGA ACX model w/ 6pin. Plenty of posts on forums with easy to follow guides that can take the 750ti to very high clocks. I used the EVGA 750ti SSC in a spare parts build not too long ago and got great results and that was without the 6pin. In either case, you will not need to water cool that card at all.

I'm happy to eat my words here. I bought a Gigabyte 750 ti for a little Linux machine running as an arcade machine. The thing couldn't maintain consistent voltages with a 10% overclock (though I was honestly just putzing around to see how high it would go). At the same time, it did a very admirable job pushing a 1920x1080 monitor with moderate settings, so I considered it a success without needing that overclock. I got steam up and running with Team Fortress 2 and figured that the machine wouldn't even be pushed that far in the future.

There's a reason I said "my limited experience." Glad to find it was more of an isolated situation than a genuine limitation of the card.

Edit:
Wrong again. It wasn't even a ti. It was a standard 750.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
either way I need to know a minimum and recommended spending range. I don't really have a budget, since it isn't time sensitive I'll just save up if I need to. Thanks!
Swiftech, Coolermaster and EK sell "AIO" units that you can add a GPU block to, if you want. They cost under $200 pretty much globally, as a basic GPU-only block costs between $40-$60. So you should be able to build a complete "custom" loop for around $250 USD or less.

Processor Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4,8 GHz
Motherboard Asus Z170 Pro Gaming
Cooling Alpenfön Brocken 2
Memory 32 GB G.Skill DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) Asus DirectCU II R290
Storage 1 TB HD + 180 GB SSD + 500 GB SSD
Display(s) Philips BDM4065 39,95" Ultra-HD
Case Antec P280
Audio Device(s) Onboard HD sound on 5.1 system
Power Supply Silverstone SST-ST85F-GS Strider Gold Series - 850 Watt
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
System Name Beast
Processor Intel I5 4690K
Motherboard MSI Z97 Gaming 5
Cooling Custom Loop
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400Mhz
Video Card(s) MSI R9 380 Gaming 4GB (x2)
Storage 500GB Samsung 850 EVO / 120GB Samsung 840 EVO / 2TB Seagate (Games & Media)
Display(s) Dell 24" IPS 2560x1440 @60hz
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply 750W Seasonic EVO
Mouse Razer Blackadder
Keyboard Logitech
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Benchmark Scores Minecraft 0.0001 FPS
If it's your first build I'd recommend you just get a decent air cooler and be done with it, you said you "accidentally" bought an overclocking cpu so I'm guessing actually overclocking the balls off it is not high on your list of priorities, a decent air cooler will allow for some overclocking if you wanted to dabble a bit without the cost or hassle of a full water loop.

And at the risk of sounding like everyone else don't even think about wasting money on a water block for the 750ti, completely unnecessary and a waste of money (unless you like wasting money, then go for it!)

With that said, watercooling is fun if you enjoy that sort of thing, and it's given me amazing temps at very low noise levels, but it is expensive (my CPU only loop cost somewhere around £250-£300) and does carry a few risks.

In summary I say to just do your research and decide on your own what you're wanting to achieve from your build and what will be your best options to get there.