1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Really weird ASRock 939 dual-sata2 problem

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by steiner666, Mar 23, 2007.

1. steiner666

steiner666 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Me and my friend have the same motherboard (and almost the same set up as me except he got a different PSU, RAM brand, and GPU) and I've never had this problem but the other night we were trying to play some R6Vegas co-op but couldn't because of this so it became my problem.

For some odd reason he is unable to have his keyboard and mouse plugged in at the same time as his ethernet (onboard). If he has his ethernet plugged in he can only have either his mouse (Razer Diamondback) or keyboard (Saitek Gaming keyboard) plugged in, but not at the same time. If he has them both plugged in at the same time his mouse just flashes randomly like a hdd activity indicator would. But when I unplugged the ethernet (on a whim) it stopped blinking, stayed solid, and they both worked. I went into the BIOS and tinkered with some I/O and controller settings but it didnt work. Every time I plug the ethernet back in while the mouse is plugged in Windows just says that it cannot recognize USB device. But when the ethernet isnt plugged it I see it listed in the device manager just fine.

I'm really lost and have no clue what the problem is. I thought maybe an IRQ conflict or something. These problems all started the other day when he unplugged his keyboard and plugged in my USB flash drive to put the new Bleach on it. Apparently it's been doin this off and on ever since.

Any clues?:banghead:

10 Year Member at TPU
  2. Pinchy New Member

Thanks Received:
    A very weird problem indeed.

Have you tried the k/b and/or mouse on different USB ports?

10 Year Member at TPU
  3. steiner666

steiner666 New Member

Thanks Received:
    yup. i've tried every possible combination.

10 Year Member at TPU
  4. Pinchy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Tried a different keyboard and mouse?

10 Year Member at TPU
  5. steiner666

steiner666 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I thought to try that, but the only other mouse k/b around are mine, and they're the same as his and doing the same thing as his. I'm regretting that I gave away all my old pc parts now. I'd like to even find a couple of those USB-PS/2 adapters to test out.

10 Year Member at TPU
  6. Pinchy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yea a USB to PS2 adapter would have come in handy, because it seems the USB port is at fault.

(I doubt this is the problem, but may as well mention)

Did you totally remove the flash drive? Like, "Safely remove hardware" it?

10 Year Member at TPU
  7. steiner666

steiner666 New Member

Thanks Received:
    yeah it was only plugged in for like 5 minutes yesterday afternoon.

10 Year Member at TPU
  8. indy8692 New Member

Thanks Received:
    SUB follow-up

I had a similar issue with USB devices. The machine would fail to recognize some USB devices while seeing others. Very odd stuff and quite maddening.

I finally switched a jumper on the mobo for the USB voltage and everything worked well after that (Logitech USB mouse and joystick, flash drives, etc.).

Forgive my memory here, but the default postion was something like +5V with backup and I moved it to +5V straightaway. Don't quote me on the specifics but do take a look at the jumper position on the board.

Good luck.

10 Year Member at TPU