• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Realtek Modded Audio Driver for Windows 10/11 - Only for HDAUDIO

RodrigoVolta

Hello.

For my setup, the only driver that worked correctly was the version "AAF DCH Optimus Sound 6.0.9215.1 (Signed)". I installed the latest version available here on GitHub (AAF DCH Optimus Sound 6.0.9231.1) but the equalizer doesn't work. It doesn't do anything, even being there. I went back to the previous version.

My setup:
- MoBo: ASUS TUF GAMING B550M-PLUS
- Proc: AMD Ryzen 5 3600XT
- Mem: 16GB DDR4 2666MHz
- Audio Chip: Realtek ALC S1200A with 7.1 Surround Sound - High definition CODEC.
- Windows 11 Home.

@Alan Finotty
One thing I noticed is that when Windows installs some major update, all my equalizer settings are "reset" to default. Then I have to enter the Realtek Audio Manager to redo it all over again.
Is there a way this doesn't happen again? Or somewhere I can save the settings and then restore them?
Grateful.

Last edited:
System Name CRAY_IV
Processor AMD Ryzen 7700x (UV 65W 70°C -20CO)
Motherboard Asus B650E-F
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory Kingston FURY 6000CL32 Renegade
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4070 Dual (UV 2610@0.91V)
Storage Samsung 980Pro 2TB + WD Red 3TB
Display(s) NEC MultiSync EA244WMi
Case Lian Li PC-7HA
Audio Device(s) Topping E30+L50, AKG K550 / KEF Egg
Power Supply SeaSonic Platinum SS-660XP²
Mouse Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed
Keyboard CM Storm QuickFire Ultimate
After rolling my system one week back (restored older Macrium image), with the old Asus/Realtek driver 6.0.1.7848 the volume instability is solved.
With the old driver activation of Sonic mode does not affect sound volume at all. So the issue is related to the new Modded drivers, unfortunately :(

RodrigoVolta

Hello.

@Alan Finotty
every time Windows 11 applies some update patch, my equalizer settings are "reset". Is there any way to prevent them from being "reset"? Do you know where they are saved? When I adjust the settings it asks me to choose a name to save the settings there in the Realtek Audio Manager. I wanted to make this setting "read-only" and prevent it from being changed.

Grateful.

Question about how the audio stack works:

Several people (Kylek29, dhrto, evwve, Phailed, Lai_yunie_yanto) wanting 5.1 surround over SPDIF with Alan's patched APO have suggested or been told to 'disable audio enhancements', otherwise rear channels are mapped to the front 3.1 channels.

Why does disabling this resolve the problem? The only reason I can find is "a bug in Alan's driver". Is there an audio enhancement (is this another word for APO?) in the stack that otherwise causes an incorrect channel mapping? Or does using audio enhancements limit the number of channels Windows can pass through the stack?

Disabling enhancements works for me with the current modded DCH drivers, ALC1220 + DDL encoder + Sonos Boom Gen1 (takes DD/AC3 only).

However, the reason I'm asking is because the Creative X4 USB sound card I actually want to use exhibits the same 'all channels mapped to 3.1' behaviour when using its Dolby Digital Live encoder.
Apparently this has been a known problem of Creative DDL handling over several years and different products.

In the Creative case, disabling audio enhancements stops SPDIF/AC3 sound output altogether, so I guess their DDL encoder is itself an audio enhancement.

But if I understood the mechanism by which audio enhancements affect channel mapping, perhaps I could push their support in the right direction.

Thanks for all your work!
Interesting to read! Thanks for your feedback.

I just ordered a Creative X3 USB (had a nice deal with B-stock unit) to use the DDL (over SP/DIF) part of it instead of the modded Realtek driver. The unit will probably arrive sometime this week. Do I understand you correctly that with the X4 (and I suppose the X3 also then) you also need to 'disable audio enhancements' to make proper 5.1. DDL work?
Anyway, I will report back with my findings!

MSi tomhawk b450 with ALC892.
No more stereo sound on the back panel...front panel work but with a lot oh EMI.
Tryed DDU,anything.

System Name Dell Inspiron 7375
Processor AMD Ryzen™ 7 2700U Mobile Processor with Radeon™ RX Vega 10 Graphics
Memory 16GB (total) 2400MHz DDR4 SODIMM
Video Card(s) Radeon™ RX Vega 10 Graphics
Storage SanDisk X600 SATA SSD 512GB
Display(s) BOE NV13FHM
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC3253 (Dell Labelling) ALC255 (Real name)
Interesting to read! Thanks for your feedback.

I just ordered a Creative X3 USB (had a nice deal with B-stock unit) to use the DDL (over SP/DIF) part of it instead of the modded Realtek driver. The unit will probably arrive sometime this week. Do I understand you correctly that with the X4 (and I suppose the X3 also then) you also need to 'disable audio enhancements' to make proper 5.1. DDL work?
Anyway, I will report back with my findings!
No, on the X3, the Disable Audio Enhancements must not be checked for DDL.

evwve

Hello,

I have to use your work with my new RIG to have DDL /DTS Live function back.
By the past I'm using a xfi:titanium PCIE without any issue for the encoder function. (DDL-DTS-live)

Your moded realtek drivers are installed with DCH apo (ddl-DTS patched) and Asio only

My z680 Logitech detect the dts or Dolby signal, but I have 2 issues :

The sound card selected is : Realtek Digital Output (AFF optimus universal Sound) and configured in "DTS interactive (5.1 surround) " (same result with " Dolby Digital Live")

1) RESOLVED

2) Sometime the DDL - DTS live disappeared and I need to uninstall all, and reinstall all to have the possibility to chose DDL-DTS live

My Rig:

X570 gigabyte Xtreme :
- Rear 130dB SNR AMP-UP Audio with ALC1220-VB & ESS SABRE 9218 DAC with WIMA Audio Capacitors

Thanks
Since my last message, I have already reinstalled 5 times the driver.

DTS-Live - DDL continue to disappeare, very annoying bug.

Any idea ?

New question : DTS neo on/off have no effect, It isn't possible to have 2channel (music like itunes) encoded to 5.1

Thanks

Attachments

• before_bug.png
    before_bug.png
    89.9 KB · Views: 251
  • after_bug.png
    after_bug.png
    140.8 KB · Views: 252
@BlueCartwheel @CityCultivator

I received my Creative X3 today and did some testing. I'm happy to report the DDL is working as intended with 'proper' 5.1 channels. Directional sounds are very clear (tested it within a game walking through a city with a lot of ambient sounds. Turning the camera around, the sounds turns around covering all of my discrete speakers (2 fronts, center and 2 surround backs). So, not downmixed to 3.1 at all.

I used the latest official driver from Creative (1.16.4.14) + Sound Blast Command utility (3.5.3.0), with 'enable audio enhancements' checked. I only tested in 'direct' mode in the Command utility -> no effects turned on (no SBX, Super X-Fi or equalizer. I like my sound 'vanilla'. If any adjustment needs to be made, I much prefer to do it on my Yamaha receiver).

So far so good. I think it's time to say goodbye to the modded Realtek drivers (with its own quirks), at least that's my preliminary feeling for now.

I did something similar with an HDMI extractor, but its going to Toslink for me. I still use the Realtek for microphone, else its always on GPU (HDMI) for audio.
The AMD GPU is a HDAUDIO device, so I can add all the APO's that exist on Realtek, In my case I added the Realtek and DTS APO's to it.

----

As a side note, the GPU produces better quality audio over my Realtek 889, with identical setup (same APO's).
Since DTS Interactive is only as good as the input, even Interactive is a better quality.

----

If I nerfed some audio to a really bad state as MP3, then converted it into FLAC, its the same bad audio (not lossless).
Even if it came as 48kz 24bit, because I nerfed it so much, its definitely not HD, even though in spec it is.

If only audio was THX certified like my speakers are, that would be something to work with.

Last edited:
System Name Snk3 PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 1600 @3.7GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte AX370 Gaming 3
Cooling CM Hyper H410R
Memory Crucial Ballistix Sport AT Gray 2x8GB 2666MHz
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580 8GB
Storage Crucial BX500 SSD 240GB + Western Digital HDD 3TB + XrayDisk NVME 256GB
Display(s) TCL 40S6500FS
Case Sharkoon TG5 Red
Audio Device(s) Logitech G933 AS Snow + OneOdio A71 + Samsung HT-C550
Power Supply Corsair CX650M
Mouse Logitech G603 Hero
Keyboard Logitech G213 Prodigy
Software Windows 10 PRO 21H1
I did something similar with an HDMI extractor, but its going to Toslink for me. I still use the Realtek for microphone, else its always on GPU (HDMI) for audio.
The AMD GPU is a HDAUDIO device, so I can add all the APO's that exist on Realtek, In my case I added the Realtek and DTS APO's to it.

----

As a side note, the GPU produces better quality audio over my Realtek 889, with identical setup (same APO's).
Since DTS Interactive is only as good as the input, even Interactive is a better quality.

----

If I nerfed some audio to a really bad state as MP3, then converted it into FLAC, its the same bad audio (not lossless).
Even if it came as 48kz 24bit, because I nerfed it so much, its definitely not HD, even though in spec it is.

If only audio was THX certified like my speakers are, that would be something to work with.
You have a guide of how add those APO's to HDMI? I want to install Atmos APO on my RX580. Thanks!

I don't have a guide or package for Atmos I am sorry, You will need to look through Alans files to read the data, and collect the files.

Th3kin

Hi,
After being working fine for almost a year after a win 10 update seem that is not working now for me.
MSI 490i unity board in win 10 pro with all the drivers and programs updated.
I have uninstalled all the realtek and creative drivers with DDU and install the las APO from Alan (I love you friend!). I can se the DDL and DTS connect option in the output but when I test it my Logitech z5500 detect the spdif signal as digital but when I test the speakers I can only ear left and right front soeakers. If I test the format DD and DTS sounds nice 5.1. It seems that somewhere is telling that only stereo speakers for the coding. Any idea of what could be bad?.
Thank you in advance!

Processor AMD Phenom II X4 925
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2
Memory 4 GB DDR3 1333Mhz
Audio Device(s) onboard Realtek ALC892
Power Supply Seasonic S12II 620w (SS-620GB)
Software Windows 10 Education x64 21H2
Hello.

@Alan Finotty
every time Windows 11 applies some update patch, my equalizer settings are "reset". Is there any way to prevent them from being "reset"? Do you know where they are saved? When I adjust the settings it asks me to choose a name to save the settings there in the Realtek Audio Manager. I wanted to make this setting "read-only" and prevent it from being changed.

Grateful.

sorry RodrigoVolta
short of using the "pause updates" feature, it's kinda hard to control Win11 updates on a Win11 home system (unless you can try to upgrade to Win11 Pro which have group policies to defer updates for longer periods). I had to resort to using Sledgehammer on some of my Win10 & Win11 PCs.

Alan F has not been here for a few months now and he has been very busy

I've temporarily stopped using his modded Realtek DCH drivers and have gone back to using unmodded drivers on my Gigabyte board since there are already newer versions that exceed Alan's current version (using the 9254 uad gigabyte driver found here). and for older systems, I can use either pal1000's new 9261 or 9268 driver versions, which obtain newer versions of the Realtek Audio Control app.

System Name NEW AAF OPTIMUS RIG
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5600X (6C/12T)
Motherboard ASUS TUF Gaming B550M-Plus
Cooling DEEPCOOL Gammax L120T
Memory CRUCIAL Pro Gaming 32GB DDR4-3200 (@3733) (2x16GB)
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 12GB MSI Ventus 2X OC LHR
Storage ADATA Legend 700 PCIe Gen3 x4 256GB; ADATA Legend 800 PCIe Gen4 x4 2TB; GoldenFir SSD 1TB
Display(s) AOC VIPER 27" 165Hz 1ms (27G2SE)
Case DARKFLASH DK100-BK
Audio Device(s) REALTEK S1200A (ALC1200) with AAF DCH Optimus Audio
Power Supply REDRAGON RGPS 600W 80 PLUS Bronze Full Modular
Mouse CLAHM CL-MM386 7200DPI
Keyboard MOTOSPEED CK-108 Mechanical Keyboard
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 23H2
NEW DCH DRIVERS RELEASED IN GITHUB
DCH DRIVER VERSION UPDATED TO 6.0.9268.1
MORE DETAILS IN GITHUB

WARNING: There is also an update for Nahimic on the Microsoft Store to version 1.5.4.0, but it is very likely that once installed, your enhancement will stop working.

ATTENTION: You will need to uninstall the currently installed version before continuing with this installation. A condition has been imposed for this due to problems reported by some users.

ATTENTION: This driverpack isn't eligible for USB-based Realtek audio chips.

RECOMMENDATION:
Before installing this modified driver, be sure to remove any and all residues from previous Realtek audio drivers or even if there are residues from previous versions of my mods, if they persist. For this you will need the DriverStoreExplorer (by @lostindark). Remove any drivers whose vendor is "Realtek", "Dolby", "DTS", "Creative" or "Alan Finotty" in the Sound, Video and Game Controllers, Extensions, Software Components and Audio Processing Objects categories.

Those who want only Realtek material, just choose the panel option (HDA or UAD), select your decoder and deselect the rest.

GO TO 1st PAGE

ENJOY!!!

NEW DCH DRIVERS RELEASED IN GITHUB
DCH DRIVER VERSION UPDATED TO 6.0.9268.1
MORE DETAILS IN GITHUB

WARNING: There is also an update for Nahimic on the Microsoft Store to version 1.5.4.0, but it is very likely that once installed, your enhancement will stop working.

ATTENTION: You will need to uninstall the currently installed version before continuing with this installation. A condition has been imposed for this due to problems reported by some users.

ATTENTION: This driverpack isn't eligible for USB-based Realtek audio chips.

RECOMMENDATION:
Before installing this modified driver, be sure to remove any and all residues from previous Realtek audio drivers or even if there are residues from previous versions of my mods, if they persist. For this you will need the DriverStoreExplorer (by @lostindark). Remove any drivers whose vendor is "Realtek", "Dolby", "DTS", "Creative" or "Alan Finotty" in the Sound, Video and Game Controllers, Extensions, Software Components and Audio Processing Objects categories.

Those who want only Realtek material, just choose the panel option (HDA or UAD), select your decoder and deselect the rest.

GO TO 1st PAGE

ENJOY!!!

Did this version completely remove the Patched APO?

That's a good thing, it was breaking Alans pack. You might not get dual mode (DDL-DTS), but you will get all the enhancers, this includes improved quality.
Edit: Alan has also removed the device policy (which was not ideal for all devices), instead now you don't bother or make your own.

This is the correct decision, many ALC's work best with their policy, some don't (some people will say Microsoft driver is better).
The only way the Microsoft is better is because it skips the device policy, as its not a Realtek driver.

I have added the Realtek APO to my GPU, If I add for example Neo-PC to the policy, it effects my GPU.
Many of the driver policy settings will apply directly to the Realtek APO.

Last edited:
Storage ADATA Legend 700 PCIe Gen3 x4 256GB; ADATA Legend 800 PCIe Gen4 x4 2TB; GoldenFir SSD 1TB
Case DARKFLASH DK100-BK
That's a good thing, it was breaking Alans pack. You might not get dual mode (DDL-DTS), but you will get all the enhancers, this includes improved quality.
Edit: Alan has also removed the device policy (which was not ideal for all devices), instead now you don't bother or make your own.

This is the correct decision, many ALC's work best with their policy, some don't (some people will say Microsoft driver is better).
The only way the Microsoft is better is because it skips the device policy, as its not a Realtek driver.

I have added the Realtek APO to my GPU, If I add for example Neo-PC to the policy, it effects my GPU.
Many of the driver policy settings will apply directly to the Realtek APO.

Well, the patched APO is the only one that works for my ALC892 (on my Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming). This driver doesn't work for me with SPDIF 5.1, so I guess I'm stuck with the last release forever :(

I guess I'm out of options now :/

Case DARKFLASH DK100-BK
Well I know Interactive 5.1 works on ALC892, but my friend had to do something with his policy. I will ask him at some point.
You can try this one, as see if it works, if not, delete the policy file from 'Windows\System32\Drivers' to remove.

Well I know Interactive 5.1 works on ALC892, but my friend had to do something with his policy. I will ask him at some point.
You can try this one, as see if it works, if not, delete the policy file from 'Windows\System32\Drivers' to remove.

Should I run this before or after installing the latest driver?

It didn't work. This new driver package doesn't even show DTS Interactive 5.1 as an option for me:

realtek.png