• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

RealTemp General Discussion

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
For testing, I downloaded a bios file with the same date and time as the modified file that you are using.

I forgot to mention last night that there is an ATI Catalyst Control Profiles.xml file hidden many layers deep that controls the 2D and 3D clocks you end up with. I edited this file to eliminate the silly 157 MHz / 300 MHz (core/memory) 2D limitation my card has. Great for saving power I guess but these super low speeds can lead to other problems. Here's an example of how I edited this file and where it is hiding.

You can see that I boosted the 2D memory speed up from 300 MHz to 1200 MHz and bumped the intermediate and 3D memory clocks up to 1300 MHz and bumped up the core speeds as well.

I'm thinking that the problem you are having might be because the bios clock settings that you have created are fighting against what CCC is trying to set the clocks too. Based on your back and forth screen shot, it's like two different pieces of software are both taking turns at trying to control your GPU clocks so they are bouncing back and forth. I know this can happen with Intel CPUs when two different power saving features are not in agreement but I don't have any experience with this problem possibly being in GPUs too.

You should consider flashing back to the original bios and then try editing the CCC Profiles.xml file and see if you can equalize your memory speeds for 2D and 3D that way.

I found a problem with the ATI CCC polling scheme earlier this year where it was taking huge amounts of time to read the sensor and would oscillate in a continuous pattern from normal, to high, to very high to a crazy high amount of time to read a simple sensor. That bug is gone now in the latest CCC release but I can't remember which version it was solved in. This wasn't a problem for everyone but I was able to notice in 3DMark06 that it directly corresponded with a jerk / micro stutter in the frame rates whenever the temperature sensor was sampled. That's why I created the Polling Interval option in RealTemp so I could try and figure out what was going on. I originally thought that maybe I was doing something wrong but I didn't change my code and with one of the Catalyst releases, this problem went away. Then I knew who was to blame. :)

Here's the little testing program I wrote for this issue.
http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/3/3/1794507/ATITemps.zip

It shows the amount of time that it takes for code to get temperature data from the ATI driver. This is a lot more consistent in 10.12 than it was when I first installed my 5770 card last year.

ATI just redesigned the CCC so that's what's in the super sized download now. I heard it works OK and starts up quickly but I haven't tried it yet. I'm still using the previous CCC. I'm always afraid to try any new ATI code before they have 6 months to get the bugs out. :D

id0l

System Name Gaming Rig/HTPC ((100% STABLE))
Processor Core 2 Quad Q9400 @ 3.4ghz, 8 x 425mhz FSB @ 1.192v
Motherboard ASUS P5Q-E
Cooling XigmaTek Dark Knight, push-pull w/Enermax Magma 120mm (x2)
Memory 2x2GB A-DATA DDR2-800 @ 850mhz 4-4-4-12
Video Card(s) ATI Radeon 4890 1GB @ 975mhz/1125mhz cooled by Thermalright T-Rad2 w/Xilence Redwing 92mm (x2)
Storage Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 250GB (x2), Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500GB
Display(s) Acer X241W 24" 16:10 WUXGA, Samsung LN40A630 40" 1080p LCDTV
Case Antec P180 Silver @ < 30dB
Audio Device(s) Sony 1000w 5.1 DD/DTS/PL2 system via optical S/PDIF on Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum
Power Supply Antec TruPower Trio TP3-650
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Benchmark Scores Max CPU temp @ full load (17hrs Y-Cruncher) - 56c // Max GPU temp @ full load (2hrs FurMark) - 64c
Well, I don't run CCC in the background (though it is installed, I disabled all the services/background apps from running) at all since I have flashed the BIOS. This way CCC doesn't boot or run and I let the BIOS set my 2D/3D settings.

When I tested it with RealTemp/GPU-Z, I manually started CCC.

Is it possible CCC files are still being accessed (as this issue occurs before I ever launch CCC)?

I have yet to try the new driver but will try to do so tonight.

I have been running RealTemp without GPU-Z also going and my 2D clocks are stable at 240mhz. The only thing I rely on GPU-Z for is VRM temperatures, but I don't really need that running very often.

Last edited:

unclewebb

Just to correct what I said earlier, RealTemp gets its GPU temperature data from the ATI driver. This driver might be part of the CCC package so you might need CCC installed for RealTemp ATI GPU monitoring to work. If I get bored tomorrow I will try to do some musical drivers and uninstall CCC and just install the new 10.12 driver to see if RealTemp GPU monitoring still works. I think GPU-Z reads temperature data directly from the GPU or directly from a monitoring chip on the card.

I don't know enough about where all the ATI and CCC files are located and which ones start up with Windows and are needed and which ones are not needed. It will be interesting to see if updating to the newer driver fixes your problem.

jason43

Hi all, I hope it's ok to ask here, it didn't feel like it deserved it's own thread. How do I uninstall RealTemp? I have some trouble shooting to do and I cant find the exe, and it's not in add/remove. Do I just delete the folder?

Thanks.

unclewebb

RealTemp is in whatever folder you put it in. There's no installer so no need to uninstall either. Just delete the RealTemp folder and everything should be gone without anything left over, hiding in the registry.

gbohn

RealTemp 3.60 i7 Turbo GT and i980X

Hi;

I recently found your RealTemp 3.60 tool package, and was trying it out on my i7 980X/Asus X58 System. When I run the i7 Turbo GT tool, I only see information on 3 out of 6 cores listed (I have Hyper-threading off, if that makes a difference).

I have attached an image of the program. Is this what I'm supposed to see, or am I doing something wrong? I was expecting to see 6 entries, but maybe I'm missing something.

Running RealTempGT shows six different core temps, for what it's worth.

This is under Windows 7 64-Bit.

Thanks;

-Greg

Attachments

• Turbo-img.jpg
    Turbo-img.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 579
System Name Rocket
Processor Ryzen 3600X
Motherboard ASRock B450 PRO4
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory HyperX Predator Black 16GB DDR4 3200MHz CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce GTX 1060 GAMING X 6GB
Storage ADATA SX8200 PRO 512GB + Intel 535 Series 120GB + WD 6400AAKS
Display(s) Benq EW2420
Case Antec P182
Power Supply Antec Signature 650
Software Win 10
Kevin needs a little help for those with Sandy Bridge. :)
Here is latest RealTemp with multi fixed (I hope) and a brand new option of showing Vcore (at last!)
Kevin said:
I added Sandy Bridge volt monitoring to RealTemp. Yea!!!!!!!!
There should be a new option in the Settings window for this.

Some feedback/screenshots it would be nice for Kevin.

Thanks in advance guys.

unclewebb

RealTemp 3.65
http://www.mediafire.com/?f4cybi6zf06d1cb

Thanks for posting that burebista. This new version reads the new Sandy Bridge CPUs correctly and displays voltage VID information from them correctly. Unfortunately, I think this information coming from the CPU is VID request voltage and does not represent actual core voltage for Sandy Bridge CPUs.

gbohn: i7 Turbo is working correctly on your i7-980X. It shows 6 different values in the average Multiplier - Thread section and it shows 6 different values in the C0 Percent load section too which means it is reading data from each of your 6 cores. This information is displayed as two separate rows with data for 3 cores in each row. Internally, Core i7-980X CPUs are two separate 3 cores CPUs joined together to make a 6 core CPU so that's why the data looks like that.

If you had hyper threading enabled, then it would show data from each of your 12 threads and it would be organized as two rows of 6 values for Multiplier and C0%.

gbohn

> gbohn: i7 Turbo is working correctly on your i7-980X.

Sure, it makes sense to me now... :)

I guess I was too intent on thinking that each column was data from one core.

Thanks again.

-Greg

SuperJoker

RealTemp 3.65
http://www.mediafire.com/?f4cybi6zf06d1cb

Thanks for posting that burebista. This new version reads the new Sandy Bridge CPUs correctly and displays voltage VID information from them correctly. Unfortunately, I think this information coming from the CPU is VID request voltage and does not represent actual core voltage for Sandy Bridge CPUs.

gbohn: i7 Turbo is working correctly on your i7-980X. It shows 6 different values in the average Multiplier - Thread section and it shows 6 different values in the C0 Percent load section too which means it is reading data from each of your 6 cores. This information is displayed as two separate rows with data for 3 cores in each row. Internally, Core i7-980X CPUs are two separate 3 cores CPUs joined together to make a 6 core CPU so that's why the data looks like that.

If you had hyper threading enabled, then it would show data from each of your 12 threads and it would be organized as two rows of 6 values for Multiplier and C0%.

Hi UncleWebb, I tried contacting You over at Xtremesystems.com, But It seems gmail has been banned there and I have no permission to post anymore, I didn't do anything and I'm the biggest cruncher for them on Seti@Home... :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead: I'm zoom314 over there... long story.

Anyway I just installed Vista x64(Business) and everytime I restart the PC after installing an update for this or for that, RealTemp gets blocked and so I unblock It over and over adinfinitum... :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Oh and to start RealTemp I put a shortcut in the Startup folder(Minimized).

unclewebb

You might want to try the Task Scheduler method.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpost.php?p=3970161&postcount=3657

I'm not sure what is blocking RealTemp or the WinRing0 driver that it depends on.

What exactly happens? What sort of error message pops up and how do you finally get it to start?

I'm using RealTemp on W7 x64 and Vista x86 32 bit without any startup issues. It might be antivirus software related.

SuperJoker

You might want to try the Task Scheduler method.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpost.php?p=3970161&postcount=3657

I'm not sure what is blocking RealTemp or the WinRing0 driver that it depends on.

What exactly happens? What sort of error message pops up and how do you finally get it to start?

I'm using RealTemp on W7 x64 and Vista x86 32 bit without any startup issues. It might be antivirus software related.

Windows blocks It, Saying simply that It needs Administrator permission and to suggest I find a version that can be installed with user permission, To be more exact I think Vista x64 doesn't like the program. UAC views the program as unidentified, UAC asks If It can be trusted or not, as It's not installed I think.

Last edited:

unclewebb

RealTemp won't start from the Startup folder if you are using UAC. It should start OK if you use the Task Scheduler.

SuperJoker

RealTemp won't start from the Startup folder if you are using UAC. It should start OK if you use the Task Scheduler.

That sounds awfully stupid of MicroBrain, I mean M$...

Ok I did that, Hopefully that will work, I'll find out when I need another patch installed.

Can't be helped, As I'm tired from a lack of sleep, As I only got 4 hours last night, But then I've been washing the sheets for a few days(really hard water), plus I have a cat as an alarm clock and I have a problem with concentration, It makes doing anything really hard and yep slow. It's hard to do stuff like make a queen sized bed when one is disabled and tired to boot, Later UW.

Hey, just wondering if anyone has found the tj max for the new sandy bridge CPUs. I want to make sure I dont cook my new toy! ha. Thanks!

System Name Rocket
Processor Ryzen 3600X
Motherboard ASRock B450 PRO4
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory HyperX Predator Black 16GB DDR4 3200MHz CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce GTX 1060 GAMING X 6GB
Storage ADATA SX8200 PRO 512GB + Intel 535 Series 120GB + WD 6400AAKS
Display(s) Benq EW2420
Case Antec P182
Power Supply Antec Signature 650
Software Win 10

SuperJoker

Ok I tried that and when windows rebooted from updating Windows 7 Pro(I had an upgrade DVD here), RealTempGT wasn't started, It wasn't even in memory, Why am I using GT? I can't get RealTemp to start, It shows up in Memory, But that's It. Since the GT version works I'm not going to worry about It.

unclewebb

What anti-virus software are you running? I've heard of this problem before but I haven't been able to recreate it yet so I can figure out what's going on. In Windows 7, sometimes program icons are created but they can become hidden. I use show all icons for the system tray / notification area to prevent this from happening. That might be part of the problem you are having.

SuperJoker

What anti-virus software are you running? I've heard of this problem before but I haven't been able to recreate it yet so I can figure out what's going on. In Windows 7, sometimes program icons are created but they can become hidden. I use show all icons for the system tray / notification area to prevent this from happening. That might be part of the problem you are having.

I use Avast on Win7 Pro. I made an exclusion for the folder where RealTempGT is at, Next time I have an OS update that requires a reboot, I'll see what happens.

Last edited:

Code

Thank you for 3.65! 3.60 was not giving me any info (Multi, Load%, MHz, Proc-just read i5)
for a 2500k system. Much appreciated, thanks again

unclewebb

It seems that many of the new Sandy Bridge motherboards are not setting up the CPU the way the previous generation used to so RealTemp 3.60 works on some Sandy Bridge boards but not on others. I found a work around for that bug so RT 3.65 should work correctly on all boards.

I don't own any new hardware so check back in a few days for another updated version. The adjustable Turbo Power Limit options that used to work don't work any more so that is going to need updating too. I think I have everything figured out. Hopefully this weekend I will have time to do some updating and add a new feature or two.

Thanks SuperJoker. I use Avast too and haven't had any problems so I guess I can't blame that. :)

Erelyes

Hey there, I have a request for the next version.
For the system tray monitor - can you have an option which displays just 1 value for the average of all 4/6/however-many cores.

unclewebb

That option already exists in the latest beta version for 4 core CPUs.

RealTemp 3.67
http://www.mediafire.com/?n99nq4kn95u6i6a

That option is also mostly done for the 6 core RealTemp GT version but I haven't got around to releasing that yet. I was working on a few things but kind of lost track so I need to go back and have a good look at that before releasing it. Sandy Bridge kept me busy. :)