• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

RealTemp General Discussion

I actually wrote an 8 core version of RealTemp a few years ago. The guy on XtremeSystems that I wrote it for decided that he didn't like it because it was too wide. No kidding. :)

He thought for 8 cores maybe a redesign of RealTemp so it listed the temps in a table so it wasn't so big might be a better idea. Kind of like how Core Temp or CPUID HWMonitor do it. I don't have access to an 8 core CPU but in theory, either of those 2 programs should be able to handle the 5960X. If anyone has an 8 core CPU and wants to help me get RealTemp working, let me know and I will see if I can find my old code. A couple of minor updates might be enough.

I've been using the Skull=1 Skull=2 options with two instances of realtemp running for years now on my dual quad xeon setup. The only issue I've found is you can't launch the two instances of realtemp at once, most of the time one of them will be messed up, I don't recall the specifics. I use a batch file to launch one, wait, then launch the other. I'm also planning to pick up an 5960X soon. I'm just waiting a bit (for a change) to let everyone iron out all the kinks first. If there's anything I can do to help let me know.

Leemarvin

Hi Uncle, first I wanna say thanks for this great program and pardon my english since it's not my first language.
I have recently downloaded your last version de RealTemp_TI one, and since I have a new i7 5820k CPU, it doesn't display my full six cores, is there anywhere a RealTemp_TI GT version displaying six cores? thanxs in advance.

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
RealTemp GT 3.70 works correctly on the 6 cores CPUs and it can be downloaded from TechPowerUp.

The T|I Edition only supports the 4 core CPUs.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X12 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse SteelSeries Sensei RAW
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
I actually wrote an 8 core version of RealTemp a few years ago. The guy on XtremeSystems that I wrote it for decided that he didn't like it because it was too wide. No kidding. :)

He thought for 8 cores maybe a redesign of RealTemp so it listed the temps in a table so it wasn't so big might be a better idea. Kind of like how Core Temp or CPUID HWMonitor do it. I don't have access to an 8 core CPU but in theory, either of those 2 programs should be able to handle the 5960X. If anyone has an 8 core CPU and wants to help me get RealTemp working, let me know and I will see if I can find my old code. A couple of minor updates might be enough.
RealTempGT.exe still only shows 6 of 8 cores. An update would be greatly appreciated.

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro
Cooling Wraith Prism
Memory Crucial Ballistix 3600Mhz 16GB (4x8GB)
Video Card(s) -
Storage Samsung 850 Evo, 860 Evo, 980 and Crucial MX500
Display(s) Samsung Neo G9 Odyssey
Case Corsair 7000D
Power Supply -
VR HMD Quest 2
Guys my CPU idle temps are about 25C, but the BIOS reads in 40s? Which one is correct? hwinfo also gives 25C as CPU temp

Processor I5 4690K @ 4.8 Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 7
Cooling Swiftech H140X
Memory 16GB Crucial BallistiX 1866Mhz
Video Card(s) GTX 1070 G1 Gaming
Storage 850 PRO 1TB SSD, 840 EVO 500GB SSD, 850 EVO 500GB
Display(s) Nixeus EDG 27-Inch IPS 1440P, 144HZ 16:9
Case NZXT H440 Red/Black
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse G600
Keyboard G710+
Software Win 10 64B
Guys my CPU idle temps are about 25C, but the BIOS reads in 40s? Which one is correct? hwinfo also gives 25C as CPU temp

One is your package temperature, the other is the core temperature.

They will usually be 10-15~degrees different.

I would use AMD Overdrive to monitor since it tells you when your nearing the max temp limit

Cooling Wraith Prism
Video Card(s) -
Case Corsair 7000D
Power Supply -
VR HMD Quest 2
One is your package temperature, the other is the core temperature.

They will usually be 10-15~degrees different.

I would use AMD Overdrive to monitor since it tells you when your nearing the max temp limit

Sorry, I changed my system specs. I have a 6700k now.

Also what does a sensor test do and tell me? (specifically the movement part)

Last edited:

unclewebb

When you are sitting in the bios, the CPU is typically not using any of the low power C States so the temperatures tend to be higher in the bios compared to when idle in Windows. As mentioned, the bios might also be reading data from a totally different CPU temperature sensor.

The CPU Cool Down Test was invented to help uncover the 45nm Core 2 Duo CPUs that had sticking temperature sensors. As the load on a CPU decreases, the temperature should decrease. This test worked great for that problem and I am sure it helped encourage Intel to start using more expensive temperature sensors that no longer get stuck in the normal temperature range. When a load is applied to a CPU, the core temperatures should instantly increase. That is what the movement part of the test shows. On 45nm Core 2 Duo CPUs, a movement reading of zero showed that the sensor likely had a sticking problem and was not moving at all when at low temperatures. Many of these sensors were getting stuck at anything less than 45°C. Your sensors look fine.

RealTemp has not been updated in 4+ years. It reports the temperatures correctly on a 6700K but the MHz and Load data needs some work. I plan to look into this someday when I can afford a new system with a 6600K. No money in the sock drawer at the moment. A freeware programmer is kind of like a starving artist. We produce good work but neither of us are getting rich. :)

Cooling Wraith Prism
Video Card(s) -
Case Corsair 7000D
Power Supply -
VR HMD Quest 2
I posted on my motherboard manufacturers website and they had the same thing to say. The temp goes up in the BIOS screen.

System Name AlderLake / Laptop
Processor Intel i7 12700K P-Cores @ 5Ghz / Intel i3 7100U
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master / HP 83A3 (U3E1)
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A 2 fans + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Extreme + 5 case fans / Fan
Memory 32GB DDR5 Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 6000MHz CL36 / 8GB DDR4 HyperX CL13
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio / Intel HD620
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Evo 500GB + 850 Pro 512GB + 860 Evo 1TB x2 / Samsung 256GB M.2 SSD
Display(s) 23.8" Dell S2417DG 165Hz G-Sync 1440p / 14" 1080p IPS Glossy
Case Be quiet! Silent Base 600 - Window / HP Pavilion
Audio Device(s) Panasonic SA-PMX94 / Realtek onboard + B&O speaker system / Harman Kardon Go + Play / Logitech G533
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750W / Powerbrick
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 2 Laser wireless / Logitech M330 wireless
Keyboard RAPOO E9270P Black 5GHz wireless / HP backlit
Software Windows 11 / Windows 10
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 (Single Core) 1936 @ stock Cinebench R23 (Multi Core) 23006 @ stock
I built a new skylake system recently, now when I open realtemp it shows the core temps around 20 degrees all day (idle), while my room temp is around 20 as well.
realtemp.JPG

Now this seems a little hard to believe.
I did a sensor test and it says this:
sensor test.JPG

To get the right temperatures at idle do I have to add 12 degrees?
Then core 0 would run at 32 degrees.

I must say in the UEFI the cpu temp reads around 23.

unclewebb

Intel has never used temperature sensors that are 100% accurate. These sensors are calibrated to trigger thermal throttling at approximately 100°C and to trigger thermal shutdown at about 125°C to 130°C. Accurate idle temps has never been part of the design. At the calibration point, these sensors are only accurate to +/- 5°C and when the CPU is idle, they are probably less accurate than that. They tend to read too low at idle so your reported temps are normal.

The Sensor test simply shows that all of your sensors are working. When that test was originally written, many of the 45nm Core 2 sensors were getting completely stuck at temperatures below 40°C. This test proved that point but this test has no significance when running it on a Core i CPU.

As long as your CPU is stable and it is not thermal throttling, core temperatures are not that important. Temperature data is an approximation. If your cores are at 60°C or 70°C or 80°C, it really doesn't make any difference. Your CPU will perform the same and it is designed to last a long, long time at any of those temperatures.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
as i tell people, go by distance to TJmax - or distance to throttle. idle readings mean nothing, when various chips can throttle at 60C or 110C - how long til that happens, is what matters.

System Name AlderLake / Laptop
Processor Intel i7 12700K P-Cores @ 5Ghz / Intel i3 7100U
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master / HP 83A3 (U3E1)
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A 2 fans + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Extreme + 5 case fans / Fan
Memory 32GB DDR5 Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 6000MHz CL36 / 8GB DDR4 HyperX CL13
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio / Intel HD620
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Evo 500GB + 850 Pro 512GB + 860 Evo 1TB x2 / Samsung 256GB M.2 SSD
Display(s) 23.8" Dell S2417DG 165Hz G-Sync 1440p / 14" 1080p IPS Glossy
Case Be quiet! Silent Base 600 - Window / HP Pavilion
Audio Device(s) Panasonic SA-PMX94 / Realtek onboard + B&O speaker system / Harman Kardon Go + Play / Logitech G533
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750W / Powerbrick
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 2 Laser wireless / Logitech M330 wireless
Keyboard RAPOO E9270P Black 5GHz wireless / HP backlit
Software Windows 11 / Windows 10
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 (Single Core) 1936 @ stock Cinebench R23 (Multi Core) 23006 @ stock
Is the latest beta RealTemp still in a test phase?
Will it be out soon?

Thanks!

Last edited:

unclewebb

I have not looked at RealTemp in years. I prefer to work on ThrottleStop. Same sort of monitoring program and it uses a lot of the exact same code. It shows CPU and GPU temps in the system tray and gives a user way more control over their CPU compared to RealTemp. I am running out of new stuff to add to ThrottleStop so maybe I will get back to working on RealTemp someday soon. Technology changes quickly so it is difficult to leave a program like this sitting for years and then just do a quick update. Dormant projects take a lot of time to get them working properly again.

So, am I the only one who noticed Real Temp doesnt shows the real tmps on Kaby Lake CPUs ???
p.s. It shows 8-12 degrees lower.

unclewebb

Intel has not changed anything temperature related in the last 7 generations of CPUs so RealTemp should be able to read the correct temperature on Kaby Lake CPUs. Either download a fresh copy of RealTemp or delete the RealTemp.INI file and restart RealTemp so it can read the correct value for TJ Max from your new CPU.

If you ever have a problem, post a pic so I can have a look.

Intel has not changed anything temperature related in the last 7 generations of CPUs so RealTemp should be able to read the correct temperature on Kaby Lake CPUs. Either download a fresh copy of RealTemp or delete the RealTemp.INI file and restart RealTemp so it can read the correct value for TJ Max from your new CPU.

Yes, thank you. You're right.I use this app for a long time now so i guess someting went wrong when switched the gens.

ajaxx

Dear Developers,

The program is really useful, but i have an issue with it.
The ALARM EXE that I point out is called only once in event of alarm.
I have made a script, sending me email when the temperature goes above a specified amount.
The problem is that ALARM EXE /which triggers my own script/ runs only at the first occurrence of higher temperature, and not every time the event occurs.

Could you, please make the program ALART to be triggered each time a criteria has been met?

Thank you in advance!

PS Sorry if I didn't write my request in the right topic.

CAPSLOCKSTUCK

Spaced Out Lunar Tick
System Name Party On
Processor Xeon w 3520
Motherboard DFI Lanparty
Cooling Big tower thing
Memory 6 gb Ballistix Tracer
Video Card(s) HD 7970
Case a plank of wood
Audio Device(s) seperate amp and 6 big speakers
Power Supply Corsair
Mouse cheap
Keyboard under going restoration

realtemp.PNG

intel says on their spec sheet that tjmax for X5670 is 81.3C ...Realtemp says 96 C. I think realtemp is incorrect in this instance.

unclewebb

If you look closer at the spec that you posted, 81.3°C is listed as the maximum TCase temperature. This spec is not the same as TJ Max.

TCase is measured by hacking up the top of the IHS on top of your CPU with a Dremel and then embedding a temperature sensor at the geometric center of your CPU. This spec is not for individual users because Intel does not expect individuals to hack up their new CPUs. This spec only applies to large system builders that are trying to determine how big a cooler and how much air flow they are going to need. If the center of the CPU never reaches the maximum TCase temperature when testing then in theory, the hottest spot on the individual cores should never reach TJ Max. It is not unusual for there to be a 20°C gradient between the temperature measured at the center of the CPU vs the peak core temperature. The size of the gradient varies depending on your cooler and the type of stress testing software you are using. The TCase spec is a guide line so the CPU will be unlikely to need to thermal throttle. Intel wants the CPU cores to always run at their maximum rated speed when necessary.

When RealTempGT first starts up, it reads the Intel specified TJ Max value directly from the CPU. If you have RealTemp installed on a USB drive or if you previously had a different CPU, delete the RealTempGT.INI config file and then start up RealTempGT.exe so it can read the correct TJ Max value for your CPU.

A 201 MHz BCLK looks great for a 6 core CPU that is over 7 years old now. :toast:

CAPSLOCKSTUCK

Spaced Out Lunar Tick
System Name Party On
Processor Xeon w 3520
Motherboard DFI Lanparty
Cooling Big tower thing
Video Card(s) HD 7970
Case a plank of wood
Power Supply Corsair
Mouse cheap
A 201 MHz BCLK looks great for a 6 core CPU that is over 7 years old now.

4.429.PNG

Thanks for clarifying the temps thing, i had to read it twice but it all makes a lot of sense now.

Processor 6600K
Motherboard Z170-A
Cooling U14-S
Memory Vengence DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) Asus Dual 1060 O6G
Storage Multple SSD
Display(s) Asus VS 24"
Power Supply XTR550
Mouse G502
Software Mint 18.1
Benchmark Scores 2nd VR Mark in class.
Just wanted to thank Webb for all he's done in our world. I ran an X9100 and 280M in my giant laptop back in the day and that overclocking and temp management was outstanding.

unclewebb

Here is a good thermal pic of an old Core 2 Duo. It shows you the hot spots on the die compared to the center of the CPU where TCase is measured.

http://semiaccurate.com/static/uploads/2010/07_july/Guess_the_chip_thermal_pic.jpg

Nice to see that RealTemp and CPU-Z agree on your BCLK, 201.35 MHz. You can also trust the RealTemp multiplier. Your previous picture looks like you might have C1E enabled.

Thanks Rosie.

CAPSLOCKSTUCK

Spaced Out Lunar Tick
System Name Party On
Processor Xeon w 3520
Motherboard DFI Lanparty
Cooling Big tower thing
Video Card(s) HD 7970
Case a plank of wood
Power Supply Corsair
Mouse cheap
Your previous picture looks like you might have C1E enabled.

i never have any problems so i leave it as it is,

This is the best i ever did with it , the hardest work it does nowadays is GTAV