1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Realtemp question

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by BradleyKZN, Apr 5, 2009.

1. BradleyKZN

BradleyKZN New Member

Thanks Received:
    Does realtemp detect temperatures correctly? After running 3dmark06 the temps for the last two cores of my cpu were about 90 on a 200mhz overclock. The first two were about 80. This seems very hot considering my quad is an s- spec

2. Homeless

Thanks Received:
    realtemp is the most accurate temperature reader for the c2d series

10 Year Member at TPU
  3. BradleyKZN

BradleyKZN New Member

Thanks Received:
    Mines a c2q, is it good for that too?

4. Kursah

Kursah Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Can you post a screenshot? (techpowerup.org just in case you wanted a place to upload. :D )

That seems a bit hot if you're hitting 80-90c temps...yikes. Might be an issue there, and you're on stock cooling, but I can't imagine temps would hit that high...the 45nm's are picky and their sensors are bugged, I would recommend paying more attention to distance to TJMax, at those levels it would be 10-20 away from tjmax iirc. I had an e8600 that read hot, I ended up RMA-ing it to Intel directly, the replacement was a champ...eventually sold it and went back to a 65nm quad.

But realtemp is your best bet, you might need to try and calibrate your sensors though...there's a section dedicated to Realtemp on Techpowerup that contains instructions for calibrating your sensors.

:toast:

10 Year Member at TPU
  5. mandelore

mandelore New Member

Thanks Received:
    UK-small Village in a Valley Near Newcastle
    i use realtemp for my QX9650, all cores get stuck at 6C and wont go below, but work fine upwards. pretty accurate. but that appears quite hot, u got ur heatsink seated correctly?

10 Year Member at TPU
  6. BradleyKZN

BradleyKZN New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well i dont seem to have problems with crashing, my distance to tj max is between 50 and 60

7. BradleyKZN

BradleyKZN New Member

Thanks Received:
    Noob question time, what does iirc mean?

8. Kursah

Kursah Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    If I ReCall

Keep your CPU 30 from TJMax under load and you should be safe, some push more, but I find that to be the upper reaches of what I'll personally allow for my chips. That should allow some buffer so you shouldn't have to worry about failure or throttling.

10 Year Member at TPU
  9. unclewebb

unclewebb RealTemp Author

Thanks Received:
    If RealTemp is showing 80C or 90C while running 3DMark06 then there's usually a problem.

Either your heatsink isn't on correctly or maybe your board is giving your CPU too much voltage. If left on AUTO in the bios some boards get carried away with voltage when you start to overclock.

Try running CPU-Z to see what it says for core voltage and reach into your computer and see if the heatsink is flopping around.

The temperature sensors in these CPUs are not know for great accuracy out of the box but usually by 90C they're not that far out to lunch. Post some more details about your computer and your room temperature so we can see if we can make any sense out of this.

The latest beta of RealTemp is available here:
    http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/3/3/1794507/RealTempBeta.zip

10. BradleyKZN

BradleyKZN New Member

Thanks Received:
    My bios says it is at 1.288 but maybe i shouldnt trust it because i seem to have lost my temps in there as well. I dont think my room temp is a problem because i was running my e2180 overclocked by quite a bit and it never got that hot. But what do you think about the distance to tjmax cause that would seem fine. I cant change the voltages in my bios :( so now i might need a new board which i cant afford. I checked the heatsink and it was perfect when i installed it

Last edited: Apr 6, 2009
  11. unclewebb

unclewebb RealTemp Author

Thanks Received:
    BradleyKZN: Post a screen shot of CPU-Z and RealTemp while running Prime95. If you can't change the voltages in your bios then maybe your current bios version does not correctly support 45nm. It might be using too much voltage for your CPU which can create excessive heat. Have a look for a bios update on your motherboard's website.