• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Recommend me a GOOD game with lots of talking in it!

MatTheCat

System Name Bitch
Processor Intel i7 2600K @4.6Ghz
Motherboard MSI Z68A-GD80 (G3)
Cooling Noctua nh-u12p se2
Memory 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz 9-10-9-27
Video Card(s) POWERCOLOR HD 7970 3GB
Storage OCZ Vertex 2 240GB SSD / 2*320GB WDC RAID 0
Display(s) Samsung 226BW 21" 1650*1080
Case Lian Li PC B-25
Audio Device(s) Creative X-FI Professional PCI
Power Supply OCZ PC Power & Cooling 860W
Software Windows 7 x64
good luck, my dear friend... German surely isnt the easiest Language out there, so you have my respect!;)
maybe try GTA IV

Is their a LOT of dialogue in GTA IV? From the times I have seen this game (never played it myself) it seems to be mostly running around, stealing cars, shooting people, etc.

DEUS EX, books, datacubes, logs, different questions and answers for NPC's, you name it...

played Deus EX years ago, and I was one of those who never thought all that much of it. Also in games like this, like with Bioshock and others being mentioned, the dialogue is very limited in comparison to the text. Spoken dialogue (with subtitles) is the important thing here

I'll mention Final Fantasy 13, although the main story isn't too hard to follow, the background lore is a bitch. Yes it has subtitles etc.

Do you get FF13 on PC?

Play transaltions of the old classic RGP's. :D

Any suggestions?

I trust your judgment as I remember us agreeing often on what is good/bad about a game.

Hell from what I see you pretty much have every game there is to choose from within your guidelines.. Just listening to German is going to make it hard to learn. If your using a translated text to understand what your seeing, then the text may not actually be in the order you heard it in German.

I wouldn't use english subtitles with german speech. Having worked my way through a couple of german textbooks, I started using computer games to learn around 9 months ago. I got my girlfriend to bring me back the german version of Gothic 2 Gold and I would sit playing that, listening to the speech, and taking screenshots of the subtitles. I would then come out of the game (without saving) and go and translate the whole lot. When I turned the game back on, I would then go and do something else in the game in order to avoid the monotony of continuously repeating the same thing, and so on. At first it was a real hard slog, but gradually I would need to translate less and less. Furthermore, with it being computer game that I hugely enjoyed playing, I would spend hours and hours within a 'german speaking world' and never get bored or feel strained.

Jetzt, wuerde ich sagen, dass ich ein ziemlich gutes Verstaendis von Deutsche habe. Sogar so gut, dass ich mit dir auf diene Mutterssprache unterhalten koennte. Obwohl die Gespraeche ganz langweillig fuer dich waerst....Keine Frage!

Without a doubt, so long as a person is willing at least to start of with at least working through a general grammar textbook to give themselves a foundation in the language, then thier is no better method for learning a language than with a dialogue based computer game (that you really enjoy).

System Name Aluminum Mallard
Processor Ryzen 1900x
Motherboard AsRock Phantom 6
Cooling AIO
Memory 8GB
Video Card(s) ASUS Strix 1080Ti
Storage SSD
Display(s) Benq Zowie
Case Cosmos 1000
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Corsair CX750
Software Win10 Home
Benchmark Scores 31 FPS in Dalaran.
Dragon Age has the most dialog I have ever experienced in a game. It's plenty fun to play as well. Essentially, Bioware games are seriously talky games.

Does Half-Life 2 have a german translation? You could play the Call of Duty games as well.

MatTheCat

System Name Bitch
Case Lian Li PC B-25
Software Windows 7 x64
Dragon Age has the most dialog I have ever experienced in a game. It's plenty fun to play as well. Essentially, Bioware games are seriously talky games.

Yeah...lots of people are recommending that game, but then others state how mind-numbingly boring it is. I suspect that I may fall into the latter category.

For me:

Gothic 2 Gold > Risen >>>.........and then some.........>>> Oblivion, Mass Effect (and probs Dragon Age, etc).

I realise that the critical acclaim and media hype that these games received would paint a very inverted picture to this, which makes me think that either I (and most other people I know), have strange tastes and are unable to appreciate 'great RPG games'; or that critical acclaim these days is greatly influenced by factors outwith how good/original/fun/immersive a game actually is.

It seems that there really isn't a huge amount of RPG's around to choose from.

Over the past year, I have been using computer games to great effect in my german learning efforts.

The games that I have been using have been all the Gothic games and I have just completed Risen (auf Deutsch naturlich). All these games are great for language learning in that there is lots of spoken dialouge, with subtitles, and the games themselves are hugely immersive and enjoyable (even G3 with the 1.73 CP patch was a pretty solid game). Combining learning with having lots of fun seems to me to be the only sensible way to learn a language (an otherwise boring as hell process), therefore, I am on the look-out for other good games with lots of spoken dialogue in them.

The following games are defo off the list, as they are boring as hell (and own retails copies of two of them already...unfortunately):

Mass Effect
Oblivion
Far Cry 2

And of course RPG's like STALKER are no good because all the communication is written, as oppossed to being voice acted.

Natürlich, umlaut.

I'd say any modern RPG or check if they have the classic point and click adventures in German, Lucas Arts and the likes.

You can of course watch your favorite movies in German, I'd rather jump off a cliff than doing that though.

System Name White Theme
Processor Intel 12700K CPU
Motherboard ASUS STRIX Z690-A D4
Cooling Lian Li Galahad Uni w/ AL120 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3200 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Aero 4080 Super 16GB
Storage 2TB Samsung 980 Pro PCIE 4.0
Display(s) Alienware 38" 3840x1600 (165Hz)
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO White
Audio Device(s) 2i2 Scarlett Solo + Schiit Magni 3 AMP
Power Supply Corsair HX 1000 Platinum

MatTheCat

System Name Bitch
Case Lian Li PC B-25
Software Windows 7 x64
Natürlich, umlaut.

I'd say any modern RPG or check if they have the classic point and click adventures in German, Lucas Arts and the likes.

You can of course watch your favorite movies in German, I'd rather jump off a cliff than doing that though.

Yeah...but I don't have no umlaut on my British keyboard.

Wir koennen es eine Texte nennen.

I wouldn't watch any good movie in German unless it was actually a German film. Besides, computer games are a way better method for learning a language. Computer games are interactive, you don't mind repeating same bits a few times, you can take screen-shots, translate..etc.etc.etc.

System Name Nexus PC
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1231 v3, 3600 MHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-H97-HD3
Cooling Thermalright Macho V2
Memory 24GB DDR3, 1400MHZ CL8
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon R9 290
Storage Samsung EVO 960 250gb, EVO 850 250gb, Vertex 3 128gb. 2 TB of Rotational.
Display(s) 1xAsus MX299, 2x Asus MX239, Oculus Rift CV1
Case Sunflower Tower
Audio Device(s) C-Media CMI8738/C3DX
Power Supply Corsair TX850
Mouse Cyborg R.A.T. 7
Software Win7 64Bit Ultimate
Is their a LOT of dialogue in GTA IV? From the times I have seen this game (never played it myself) it seems to be mostly running around, stealing cars, shooting people, etc.

Jetzt, wuerde ich sagen, dass ich ein ziemlich gutes Verstaendis von Deutsche habe. Sogar so gut, dass ich mit dir auf diene Mutterssprache unterhalten koennte. Obwohl die Gespraeche ganz langweillig fuer dich waerst....Keine Frage!
Oh, there is a good amount of dialogue,at least in the cutscenes,which happen quite often if you take missions the whole time!;) just running around,beating and shooting people, surely wouldnt help there, thats right!:laugh:

Was du schreibst,klingt schon ganz gut, ich denke mit ein bisschen mehr Übung wirst du dein Ziel, Deutsch zu lernen in nicht allzu ferner Zukunft, erreichen!;)
Wie gesagt, ich bin beeindruckt, von deinem Willen, die deutsche Sprache zu lernen!:D

Does Half-Life 2 have a german translation? You could play the Call of Duty games as well.
just go to steam -> change language;) it should also change the language for all games you own on that account, so yeah, there is a german Version of HL2!:)

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
Any suggestions?

Fallout 2. I also have a thing for Arcanum (even if I haven't played it that much). I'm pretty sure there's a german version of Fallout somewhere, not as sure about Arcanum.

MatTheCat said:
played Deus EX years ago, and I was one of those who never thought all that much of it.

When I first played it I was totally unimpressed, mostly because I was diving into Thief 2 at the time. I bought the second game around 2004 and thought it was a decent game. Around 2006 or so I actually sat down with the first game and was blown away, and ever since I see it as one of the best games of all time. It's .. art.

Last edited: