• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Recommendation for a surge protector bar

System Name Core p90
Processor I7 9700k
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4
Cooling Ek supremacy evo cpu block/nexxxos ut60 rad 480mm/D5 vario pump 310mm reservoir combo.
Memory Trident gskill 16gb 3000mhz
Video Card(s) Nvidia Founders edition rtx 3080 10gb
Storage M.2 Intel 660p 1024gb, 4tb 7200 rpm black Western Digital hdd
Display(s) Acer x34 predator 3440x1440p 120hz g-sync ultrawide 21:9 monitor
Case Thermaltake Core P90 tempered glass edition
Audio Device(s) On board
Power Supply Thermaltake smart m1200w
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Logitech G910
Software Windows 10 64bit
Do you guys recommend a specific surge protector power bar for a high end gaming PC (1200w psu)

This appartement has fluctuating levels of electricity as I can tell from my big bad power bar (power station) which is hooked to my home theater...

I like the idea of a having a power bar that many outlet slots as well as good filtering for noise introduced by electricity.... Etc...

What do you guys use?

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
None. Instead, I recommend a good UPS with AVR (automatic voltage regulation). Note it is the AVR that makes a good UPS so valuable. Backup power during a full power outage is just a minor bonus. I like APC UPS but many like CyberPower too - which tend to be a little cheaper.

If you plug your hardware into the eXtreme Power Supply Calculator, it will recommend a minimum UPS size too. That said, I would just look for a decent 1500VA UPS. Without knowing all your hardware, I still would suggest that would be plenty to support your computer, all your network gear, and, depending on the size, at least one LCD monitor too.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
None. Instead, I recommend a good UPS with AVR (automatic voltage regulation). Note it is the AVR that makes a good UPS so valuable. Backup power during a full power outage is just a minor bonus. I like APC UPS but many like CyberPower too - which tend to be a little cheaper.

If you plug your hardware into the eXtreme Power Supply Calculator, it will recommend a minimum UPS size too. That said, I would just look for a decent 1500VA UPS. Without knowing all your hardware, I still would suggest that would be plenty to support your computer, all your network gear, and, depending on the size, at least one LCD monitor too.

Is APC worth their Salt Still?

freeagent

Staff member
Processor AMD R9 5900X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
Cooling Thermalright Aqua Elite 360 V3 1x TL-B12, 2x TL-C12 Pro, 2x TL K12
Memory 2x8 G.Skill Trident Z Royal 3200C14, 2x8GB G.Skill Trident Z Black and White 3200 C14
Video Card(s) Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC
Storage WD SN850 1TB, SN850X 2TB, Asus Hyper M.2, 2x SN770 1TB
Display(s) LG 50UP7100
Case Fractal Torrent Compact RGB
Audio Device(s) JBL 2.1 Deep Bass
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 750w G+, Monster HDP1800
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard Logitech G213
VR HMD Oculus 3
Software Yes
Benchmark Scores Yes
I've been using a Monster HDP-1800 for years. I have my computer, Hisense tv, NAD receiver, Monitor Audio sub, Tannoy sub, PS4, Switch, and a lamp plugged into it. Works great!!

I use an APC power bar on my x58 rig, it works.. its nothing fancy.

When I first started shopping for UPSs, APC "was the Cadillac of UPSs". We had all APC units up thru about 2010 or so .... Our electrical contractor that we use for water treatment plants has a lot of NYC financial firms in contract ... they spent a good part of 2010 - 2012 swapping out the APCs for other brands (Cyberpower and Tripplite). I have an old 750 VA APC unit that I still use... battery died and I had the contractor test it ... replaced the battery and put back in use.

Soon after they were bought by Schneider Electric (2008-9 ?), ... we noticed that the APC quality and service starting to tank and warrantess shortening. For a while, we had a mix and later we began phasing out the APC units. We found APC support is a bit standoffish; Even here in 2019, the Cyber folks will talk you for 30 minutes and call ya back 10 days later just to make sure all is right with the thing.

As for the OP.... I wouldn't bother with Power Sticks... if you just want surge protectioon, the $15 - $25 hardware store crap is just that. Up into the 90s, we used the under monitor type which I liked for the switched in which I could turn off all the peripherals. Back them the motto was... if it doesn't cost $90 it ain't worth having.

This is the type I would recommend if a UPS is beyond the budget.

Sorry I can't give ya more here ... we stopped using them maybe 20 years ago ... tho i still have 1 or 2 laying around that i can only find when I'm not looking for one.

If you do wanna go the UPS route , I'll give ya a short synopsis how we settled into what and how you might go about picking one.

After the APC days, the 1st the Cyberpower models we were recommending / using was the CyberPower PR1500LCD ... has a run time in excess of 20 minutes but weighs 50-60 pounds. Started to hate them when that important paper fell behind the desk and you had to move it to retrieve and vacuum. ... and they ain't cheap ranging from $325 to $400 over last few years. Now we use and recommend the Cyberpower CP1500PFCLCD - (PFC Pure Sine Wave / 100 % Active PFC Compatible Model) which goes for @ $200 ... IIRC, last one I bought was $184 .. otrdered it Saturday night around 11:30 pm and it was here Monday afternoon via Prime free delivery.

Did a web search on "Best UPS" just to see what some of the "weekend experts" listed. Can't say I was enamored with any one of their "evaluation processes". Seems like everyone just googling and stealing from tidbits from each other .. also noticed a lot of wrong data. So I wouldn't put much faith in how they picked... maybe they just mined betetr sources than I found or maybe the pulled outta you can guess where.

When I go looking, I usually go on newegg and type in 1500 VA.... $150 - $400 and look around ... you can sort by most reviews, best rating, best selling. I generally sort first on "best rating" to whittle it down a bit to 3-4 models with at least 100 reviews and then start matching needs with available models

Then I'll read the reviews to see what kind of problems people experiences, check the warrranty and important stats and how they fared with any tech support experiences and make a pick. I have a 1250 watt PSU that tops out at about 775 watts at the wall under stress testing ... in gaming it rarely breaks 685.

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Sure. Many accuse them of going downhill when Schneider bought them, but I don't agree. I just think APC sat on their laurels while CyberPower, Tripp Lite and others caught up to them with very competitive prices. And at the same time the marketing weenies at CyberPower and others went into overdrive pushing "pure sinewave" UPS, claiming anything less was inadequate. That was just pure marketing hogwash - and still is. A good quality "stepped approximation" UPS with any decent quality PSU works just fine.

The only equipment that might need a pure sinewave output UPS would be very critical life support medical equipment in operating rooms and intensive care units.

I note some will claim stepped approximated (AKA, simulated/artificial) waveforms mess with Active PFC. Again, hogwash. Maybe with an el cheapo supreme generic PSU. But not with any decent quality PSU from your standard reputable makers. Just as an example, check out the EVGA Knowledge base and select "Power Supply" FAQs and note the following:

Question / Issue

Do EVGA Power Supplies support UPS backup devices that support Line-Interactive AVR UPS which uses a simulated/artificial sine wave?

Answer / Solution

Yes, all EVGA power supplies support UPS backup devices.[/TD][/LEFT]

I am NOT saying pure sinewave UPS should be avoided. In fact, if the price is right, and the size is right, and the features (number of sockets, LCD display) are right, I say go for it. But I am also saying don't discount a UPS just because it has a stepped approximation output wave form.

Remember, that output waveform only matters when the UPS is delivering backup (battery) power. The rest of the time, it is the AVR that doing the work, and that is a sinewave. As noted, I live in Tornado Alley so power issues are very frequent. But according to the logs, my APC 1500VA UPS kicked over to battery backup 10 times in the last 3 months. Not good. But I also note the total time was just 50 seconds. All other "events" were handled by the AVR. :)

Oh, and if you have several large AC/DC power blocks - especially those that may cover sockets on the back of the UPS, I recommend 18 inch spider extension cords. These are great behind computer desks and home entertainment centers too.