• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Recommendations for a growing company...

Processor AMD Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard MSI X570 Gaming Plus
Cooling Corsair H100
Memory 32 GB Team Xtreme DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 7900 XT
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600/2 TB Intel 660p
Display(s) 31.5" Acer ED323QUR
Case Corsair Carbide 500R
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster Z
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 1000 GT
Mouse Havit HV-MS735
Keyboard Corsair K68 RGB
Benchmark Scores 3DMark Time Spy Graphics 26359 CPU 11728 Total 22203
I've been working for a business that's been established in Northern California for over 45 years. Recently, my employer opened up a new location in Los Angeles. Originally, we planned to switch to Quickbooks Online (QBO)to handle the two locations' accounting. After starting a QBO subscription, I found that it lacked way too many features to be a viable solution for our needs. So now I need to find a better way to connect our two locations short of having to have them mail their paperwork every week.

I'm kind of a novice at understanding networking solutions so I really don't know much about what my options are for connecting two companies that are so far apart. I'm currently trying to get info on AT&T's MLPS PNT service but I don't know what to expect. We're going to need a solution that will allow us to connect to the same QB database if possible.

What sort of solutions are out there that are relatively affordable for a growing business? And please remember that outside of simple local networks, I really am a novice of this stuff so the simpler the better in explanation. All responses are appreciated!:toast:

Completely Bonkers

Processor Mysterious Engineering Prototype
Motherboard Intel 865
Cooling Custom block made in workshop
Memory Corsair XMS 2GB
Video Card(s) FireGL X3-256
Display(s) 1600x1200 SyncMaster x 2 = 3200x1200
Software Windows 2003
You need two routers that support VPN. You create a LAN on one side,e.g. 192.168.0.x and a LAN on the other 192.168.1.x and the VPN will bridge the networks to that it acts as one LAN.

Regarding accounting: keep it simple. Software like QB is horrible IMO in that it tries to do too much in one package with "live" updating. Too complex. Too slow. Too inflexible. Make sure the accountant chooses the most productivity-efficient solution for him and his team.

That is why good yet simple accounting software is so expensive - you save money in the end on productivity gains.

System Name home brew
Processor Intel Corei7 3770K OC @ 4.5Ghz
Motherboard ASUS P8Z77-V
Cooling Corsair H100
Memory 16GB DDR3 1600 GSKILL
Video Card(s) Powercolor Radeon 7970, MSI Radeon 7970
Storage Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 240gb. 2 TB Hdd.
Display(s) 3x24inch Dell Ultra IPS
Case CM storm trooper
Power Supply Antec Quattro OC ed. 1200w
Software Windows 7 Business x64
Benchmark Scores vantage: P43089
Ewww quickbooks haha. I had to deal with that at a school where they interfaced with a server, not fun. Anyway, yea a vpn is definately the way to go. What you want is a site to site configuration. The VPN devices will look for traffic destined for the remote network, bring up the VPN tunnel and send it over. If you dont have routers capable of this, openswan is free and can be installed on Linux.

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
you don't need a VPN if you are simply uploading accounting information to a remote database. just setup a user/pass on it and use accounting software than can upload.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
protip: w/e you decide please dont ever switch to peach tree.

andrew123

Use Frame Relay.

Talk to your local ISP / Telco provider about getting Frame relay installed, that way you don't have to run a pesky VPN solution (VPN has all sorts of headaches, split tunnel/full tunnel modes, running a Cisco ASA? Installing VPN Clients. blah.. save yourself the trouble).
Not to mention, using a VPN you're effectively trusting the internet to do arbitrary routing over whatever path it see's fit, you don't really have control over how the data gets to where it does, and along the way it could go over a host of other providers, frame relay is routed over dedicated circuits (virtual circuits) that are more secure.

Frame relay is set up like so.

Network Location 1 (switch) --> Router 1 --> CSU/DSU --> Frame Relay --> CSU/DSU --> Router 2 --> Network Location 2 (switch)

A CSU/DSU stands for a Channel Service Unit / Data Service Unit. In essence it converts the serial output from your router into a format ready for transmission over whatever the layer 1 media your ISP has set-up for you to access the frame-relay circuit they provide you.

The _really_ nice thing about frame relay is that as your organization grows, your network becomes scalable, all you need to hook up one more location is another CSU/DSU and another Router / Switch.. and all the routing is over dedicated circuits (well, Virtual Circuits from the Telco/ISP's end of things). They do give you something called a commited information rate that is effectively saying 'we promise you will always have at least XXX MBit's for your WAN connection speeds'.

They're not too expensive either.

In my experience, VPN's work great for providing a entrance into a secure network for employee's in the field, I wouldn't use one as a replacement for intranetwork WAN connections.

Completely Bonkers

Motherboard Intel 865
Memory Corsair XMS 2GB
Software Windows 2003
You don't need VPN client software. Just get two routers that make the VPN bridge between them. It is very simple. All machines and printers etc. are now on one LAN.

Just to make sure you dont run into VPN headaches, make sure both routers are same brand and model series.

Read appendix E: ftp://downloads.netgear.com/files/fvl328_ref_manual.pdf

Yes, there are more sophisticated solutions. But for a small business VPN is the way to go. (No additional monthly costs, just your regular internet connection at both locations).

Last edited:

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
If the company is growing and there is the possibility that more locations may be something to consider in the future, now would be a good time to invest in a software package that gives you all the features you need, including multiple site access to realtime data.
Generate the current requirements and also plan in future growth when deciding upon a package. Consider redundancy to reduce the chance of downtime (which will now affect multiple locations).

It will mean an investment up-front, but will show a cost savings in the long run in both increased productivity, reduced chance of catastrophic failure and lower administrative costs, if implemented correctly
If you cobble together only what you need at the moment, you will be going through this same exercise (and expense) again in the future when the need arises.

Completely Bonkers

Motherboard Intel 865
Memory Corsair XMS 2GB
Software Windows 2003
While Kreij does offer mature strategic investment wisdom, for $50 you can pick up 2 VPN capable routers off ebay and have your LAN bridge working tomorrow after a couple of hours configuration.

And while you have the VPN working, you can take all the time you need to learn-up on and design the future-proof overkill-for-a-small-buiness system of tomorrow.

Another good read: http://www.plathome.com/products/packetix/manual/html/10-5.htm

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
And while you have the VPN working, you can take all the time you need to learn-up on and design the future-proof overkill-for-a-small-buiness system of tomorrow.

I guess that really depends on how small the company is at the moment, and what vision the boss has for it. It als depends on what the company does.

You do not have to spend an inordinate amount of money as many applications allow you to purchase only the modules and functionality that you need. These packages also allow you to expand in the future by simply purchasing needed modules and dropping them into your already existing setup.

But I cannot argue that a simple VPN is quick and cheap. :)

andrew123

You can use VPN but it's not really geared towards 'Growing' a company, it's a temporary solution, but if you expand to multiple sites you will want a bonified WAN connection. Just my 2 cents.