1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Recommended RPG (or other) With an amazing story?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Kusimeka, Nov 25, 2008.

1. red268

red268

Thanks Received:
    Not sure if you'd count it as 'world' storyline or not, but I think it's got both - Bioshock. I loved Bioshock. One of the best games I've played in a long time. The gameplay is good, but the best bit about the game is the storyline in my opinion.

10 Year Member at TPU
  2. Odin Eidolon

Odin Eidolon New Member

Thanks Received:
    well..... monkey island FTW!!!!
    being serious, if you have some good graphics card that can handle it very well (worst game engine ever, my 3850 got 5FPS at max settings), NWN1/NWN2 are very good, i loved them

Solaris17 says thanks.
  3. Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Thanks Received:
    Arcanum.

Has great and intriguing storyline as well as superb character development. Its a victorian era fallout. ^^.

4. xubidoo

Thanks Received:
    i only play offline rpgs's cba with playing them online ,these are the ones ive enjoyed the most.

Dungeon Siege 1 + Expansion
    Dungeon Siege 2 + Expansion
    Neverwinter Nights
    Baldurs Gate
    Sacred
    Sacred 2 (new ,demo available)
    Space Seige

5. jimmyme New Member

Thanks Received:
    Secret of Mana...SNES
    great game from the golden age of gaming....:D

series was also known as Seiken Densetsu...

Last edited: Nov 25, 2008
  6. MatTheCat New Member

Thanks Received:
    Gothic or Gothic 2

Be warned though, these games were known for running like shit and being very poorly optimised which means no matter how powerful a machine you have, there is a performance cap on these games that you may not be entirely satisifed with.

Gothic 3 is much more attractive a game (mindblowingly attractive infact) and believe it or not, will run much better on modern hardware than its older counterparts.....but even with the latest 1.7 community Patch, the whole thing just feels a bit unfinished and lacks the soul and charm of the earlier games......and the G3 combat system is utter shit.

I was also immensely enjoying The Witcher but the bugs forced me to uninstall it and take it back to the store. However, I have tried The Witcher Enhanced Edition and the game is running much nicer.

Just for the record, I found Oblivion to be an utter bore and Mass Effect to be a long drawn out linear piece of crap.

7. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Lunar. A Sega CD classic. Or Shinning Force.

8. Breathless

Thanks Received:
    Phantasy Star II and Phantasy Star 4 for Sega Genesis.

Better get the hint guide for II though because you likely won't beat it without it!

9. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:

not just 7! The whole series :toast:

Kusimeka says thanks.
  10. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    +1 neverwinter nights

Kusimeka says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU More than 25k PPD
  11. El Fiendo

El Fiendo

Thanks Received:
    Some older games that I had a great time playing:
    Destiny of an Emperor - Nes
    Super Mario RPG - Snes
    The 7th Saga - Snes <--- Very, very good I found

If you don't mind trying RTS over RPGs, I strongly suggest the Homeworld series. Homeworld is probably the first game that had all my attention no matter what was going on around. Homeworld: Cataclysm wasn't as strong, wasn't by the same guys (Barking Dog Studios) but still had a very immersive story. Homeworld2 was done again by Relic and again, wasn't quite as strong as Homeworld but it was still a very good game. I only mention these games because they had an outstanding story, so even if not RPGs you may still be interested.

Kusimeka says thanks.
  12. r9

r9

Thanks Received:
    Witcher has amazing story line even I did`t finish darn thing (reinstall my PC forget to backup saves and I was 30 hour in the game ).

Kusimeka says thanks.
  13. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Super Mario RPG was surprisingly great indeed. Don't know the other two, I guess I could look into them.

Kusimeka says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  14. Kusimeka

Kusimeka

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for all the suggestions guys, many great games mentioned here by the sounds of it, i'll defintley check some out, i think a cheerful rpg like Super mario would be great aswell! :)

15. LiNKiN

LiNKiN Staff

Thanks Received:
    Xenogears for the PS1 or emulation. Wild Arms (also for the PS1) had a decent story line.

Kusimeka says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  16. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Private message me if you need a save just let me know were about you were i'll send you one if needed.

Kusimeka says thanks.
  17. JC316

JC316 Knows what makes you tick

Thanks Received:
    Metroid Prime
    Knights of the Old Republic 1 and 2
    Fallout 3
    Bioshock
    Any Zelda.

Kusimeka says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  18. Gilletter

Gilletter

Thanks Received:
    didn't read through everyones suggestions, but Secret of Evermore, ChronoTrigger, Final Fantasy 3, Final Fantasy 7, Phantasy Star 3, Phantasy Star 4, Skies of Arcadia... I can name more if need be

Kusimeka says thanks.
  19. Chryonn

Chryonn

Thanks Received:
    i'll add mine to the mix: Planescape:Torment for the PC, fantastic story-driven RPG

Kusimeka says thanks.
  20. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm a huge Phantasy Star nerd so I suggest those :p

Kusimeka says thanks.
  21. happita

happita

Thanks Received:
    YES!!!! So many phantasy star fans here, thats awesome. 3 and 4 were my favorite though for sure, 2 was a bit hard too. But all in all, greatest rpg series on a console, then comes final fantasy

Kusimeka says thanks.
  22. MilkyWay

Thanks Received:
    mass effect was the fact you are forced to be a hero or a villan you are just doing your job and you happen to be part of the story it couldve been some other mucker but you where there at the time, either way its to get revenge while saving the universe at the same time

the combat and story are whats good the graphics are top notch, you would find your self getting attached to one of the fellow characters i liked garrus and wrex i felt the choices i made and the way i spoke to them changed them a lot unlike ashley she was just racist and a big xenophobe

liked the game a lot i liked doing the side quests for the story sometimes it would make life easier in the long run, if you choose certain speech things can be easier or you will just get something different for doing a quest

oblivion is just there to do quests and get mods, i like the fact you could just run around not do the main quest till whenever you wanted to, the main quest was okay but it was a fun game thats what pulls me back to it, i completed it put in a lot of effort then i got a new hard drive got some mods started again feels still good like there are quests and the knights quest i didnt do so there is still a lot to do

like if you wanted you could close all of the oblivion gates or try to get that mansion whatever get some cool armour, do a few quests

chrono trigger is the best rpg ive played might be a bit heavy for a casual gamer but if you like rpgs its one of the best rpg, there is a nintendo ds remake out either now or in a few weeks

morrowind if you can put up with the graphics is good, dont get me wrong it was good for its time and the gameplay and story is still worth checking out

diablo and fallout are a great series of games

Kusimeka says thanks.
  23. Zanga

Thanks Received:
    I have played gothic 1 on a 700 Mhz Duron and a Radeon 7200 Card. On any decent machine it runs great with all maxed out.
    Gothic 2 runs god on a 2800+ Barton and a 9800 PRO.
    Gothic 3 works bad on any config. The engine is completely unoptimized s*it, allthough with medium settings it runs on the Barton/9800 PRO, but needs at least 2 GB Ram

On my current system G3 and G3 FG runs with all maxed out in 1600x1200 :rockout:

Kusimeka says thanks.
  24. MatTheCat New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok Gothic 1 ran ok.

But Gothic 2 I get fps drops to around 20 frames per second and averages around 40 when playing the game maxed out on my current rig (check sig). For a 6-7 year old game, that is just fucking ridiculous. Gothic 3 on the otherhand can run at around 60 fps in the countryside falling to around 25-30 fps in the towns/cities.

Gothic 3 runs better on my rig and is of course vastly superior in terms of graphics at least.

However, running perfect maxed out to me means running at a solid slippery smooth 60 fps. Sorry dude, but Gothic 3 does not do that on your machine and will never do that on any machine......not ever...just like Gothic 2, it is very inefficiently coded.

Kusimeka says thanks.
  25. JC316

JC316 Knows what makes you tick

Thanks Received:
    Just thought of another. Jade Empire. It has a great story and great gameplay.

Kusimeka says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU