• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Recording good audio with a laptop and a Huawei P20 pro: tutorials and music

System Name System Failure
Processor Like Chuck norris Overclocked
Cooling Nope
Memory I don't remember "haha"
Video Card(s) Doubt it.
Storage 1TB of google cookies
Case Hot as an oven
Benchmark Scores -5 ( without chuck norris OC)
Hi everyone,

I have run into two scenarios and would like feedback / help on how to do this

Scenario 1 - Microphone + Cellphone
First scenario is how can I record decent/ good audio with a Huawei P20 pro?

Option 1: to buy a TRS-TRRS Adapter
this youtube video shows how to make it work with a external wireless mic.

My question: Which microphone would you recommend to get good sound quality for a smartphone like p20 pro?
A wireless or wired mic? any brands i should consider for good audio? This will be for making some HowTO tutorials and some Vlogs.

Scenerio 2 Recording good sound directly into a Laptop
What microphone would make decent audio for singing, recording voiceover or just general talks at the computer? (not more than $400)
I have a laptop (might get a used Lenovo t480) , A digital piano and Scarlet i2i2 Interface and I want to record everything into the laptop i just need a good microphone recommendation.

UPDATE: For goot sound into laptop I will try Scarlett interface + Shure SM58 LC

System Name Dreamstation2
Processor Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard MSI X470 Gaming Plus
Cooling AMD stock Wraith RGB
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX1080 Hybrid
Storage 480GB M2 SATA SSD
Display(s) 24" IPS 2560x1440
Case NZXT H500i
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar U3
Power Supply Corsair TX650M
Mouse Corsair Scimitar Pro RGB
Keyboard Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
I'm currently using this microphone
https://www.staggmusic.com/en/products/view/SCM200
It's a cheap entry-level condenser microphone (costs around 40-50 Euro = $50-60) . I made the TRS-TRRS adapter myself, also made a TRS-3,5mm stereo jack adapter for my laptop.
Both smartphone and laptop recording work flawlessly because the microprohe uses internal power (one AA battery). I record mostly vocals, but it works nicely for instruments too.
Some microphones expect the recording equipment (laptop/phone/camera) to supply electricity (around 1-2V DC) for it to work (that's the case with my RODE Videomic Go - it works with my Canon camera but not sure it will work with laptop or smartphone - need to try some day).

The Scarlett will be perfect for recording on a laptop, but will not solve the smartphone recording. The Dynamic Shure SM58 LC will not work with the smartphone microphone input without a pre-amp.

Edit: it might work, the SCM200 sensitivity is -43 dB/Pa, while the SM58 has -56dB/Pa (4.46 times less). If the smartphone mic amplifier is good enough it can make up for the 13 dB loss of sensitivity.

Last edited: