• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Recurring problem after repasting Radeon RX580

AsRock

TPU addict
Processor AMD 3900X \ AMD 7700X
Motherboard ASRock AM4 X570 Pro 4 \ ASUS X670Xe TUF
Cooling D15
Memory Patriot 2x16GB PVS432G320C6K \ G.Skill Flare X5 F5-6000J3238F 2x16GB
Video Card(s) eVga GTX1060 SSC \ XFX RX 6950XT RX-695XATBD9
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 1080P \ LG 43UN700
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 Infinity RS4000\Paradigm P Studio 20, Blue Yeti
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750 \ Corsair RM1000X Shift
Mouse Steelseries Sensei wireless \ Steelseries Sensei wireless
Keyboard Logitech K120 \ Wooting Two HE
Benchmark Scores Meh benchmarks.
ypu had a partial good contact- area marked in red - rest in not good enough:

View attachment 176141

contact can be checked when hs is properly attached..

Maybe he's tightening one side more than the other or even maybe unevenly part by not tightening corner to corner a little at a time.

Dam could even be the heatsink at fault.

System Name myLastOne
Processor Intel Core i7 12700F @ PL1=PL2=150 Watts
Motherboard MSI B660M MAG Mortar
Cooling Deepcool AK400 + CM Sickleflow 120mm (Push|Pull)
Memory 2x 16GB Crucial Ballistix 3600MHz 16-18-18-38
Video Card(s) Asus TUF RTX 3060 Ti Gaming OC
Storage TeamGroup MP33 Pro M2 1TB + (1+2)TB Seagate + 2TB WD
Display(s) BenQ EW2775ZH
Case CM Elite 371 USB3 With Arctic F14 (Side+Front) + Arctic Bionix F120 (Back) + CM 120mm (Top)
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC 1200 + Swans D1010-IV
Power Supply MSI MPG A750GF
Mouse Logitech G102 LightSync
Keyboard Logitech G100
VR HMD None
Software Windows 11 PRO
Maybe he's tightening one side more than the other or even maybe unevenly part by not tightening corner to corner a little at a time.

No I check it, follow rules and I am very careful. I read a lot; on tpu, on reddit, on oc3d, Sapphire, Asus support forums etc. Also watched a lot of videos. Even repasting was suggested on tpu forums first actually, only then did I do it.

Dam could even be the heatsink at fault.

I don't think so, checked it. Its when the thermal paste migrates and falls off the die it creates a problem. The only things I have changed are thermal pad thickness (.5mm vs ~.65mm original) and thermal pastes(s) (Corsair TM30 lasts a fortnight, very low viscosity and Noctua NT-H1 refresh lasts a month, little bit more viscous than Corsair TM30).

System Name myLastOne
Display(s) BenQ EW2775ZH
Case CM Elite 371 USB3 With Arctic F14 (Side+Front) + Arctic Bionix F120 (Back) + CM 120mm (Top)
Keyboard Logitech G100
VR HMD None
Software Windows 11 PRO
@nguyen
Because of medical emergency and seller error (made worse by covid), I was not able to reply; I would like to apologise for the delay. Now all things almost settled I got my hands on the Kingpin KPx (God, they are 2.25x the price here) but only was able to get the 1.5G version of the tube, really small tube. Don't want to mess up so could you guide me how to apply it please...
I ask because it has got 9/10 out of viscosity but only 2/10 out of usability in tomshardware tests.
I have read some of your older posts (forget which thread) where you instructed to heat the thermal paste or heatsink or gpu die (again forget which one); even toms instructs giving a hot water bath (What?!).
I don't want to waste it very little tube of thermal paste, also don't have much faith in the card overall of becoming better.
I would like to apologise again for the delay, please do reply...

PS. I really didn't like the colonoscopy, endoscopy my doctor made me go through; and the seller delivered the TIM 45 kms away from my house, the same seller delivered 34inch monitor and full tower cabinet at almost the same address to a friend of mine but refused me.

System Name The de-ploughminator Mk-II
Processor i7 13700KF
Motherboard MSI Z790 Carbon
Cooling ID-Cooling SE-226-XT + Phanteks T30
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill DDR5 7200Cas34
Video Card(s) Asus RTX4090 TUF
Storage Kingston KC3000 2TB NVME
Display(s) LG OLED CX48"
Case Corsair 5000D Air
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Razor Viper Ultimate
Keyboard Corsair K75
Software win11
@nguyen
Because of medical emergency and seller error (made worse by covid), I was not able to reply; I would like to apologise for the delay. Now all things almost settled I got my hands on the Kingpin KPx (God, they are 2.25x the price here) but only was able to get the 1.5G version of the tube, really small tube. Don't want to mess up so could you guide me how to apply it please...
I ask because it has got 9/10 out of viscosity but only 2/10 out of usability in tomshardware tests.
I have read some of your older posts (forget which thread) where you instructed to heat the thermal paste or heatsink or gpu die (again forget which one); even toms instructs giving a hot water bath (What?!).
I don't want to waste it very little tube of thermal paste, also don't have much faith in the card overall of becoming better.
I would like to apologise again for the delay, please do reply...

PS. I really didn't like the colonoscopy, endoscopy my doctor made me go through; and the seller delivered the TIM 45 kms away from my house, the same seller delivered 34inch monitor and full tower cabinet at almost the same address to a friend of mine but refused me.

Well I just applied Kingpin KPx on my RTX 3090 yesterday and the result is very good :D

Use the hair dryer to blow on the tube to get it to warm up a little.
Put 5 small dots on your GPU, 1 in the center and 4 in the corners like this,

The most important is how you tighten the screws. First you will tighten the 4 screws surrounding the die, small rotation for each screw in the X order, until they all come to complete stop (hold the screw driver with your fingers). After that tighten the rest of the remaining screws.

Then play with your card as usual, increase the fans speed to keep the GPU cool.

System Name myLastOne
Display(s) BenQ EW2775ZH
Keyboard Logitech G100
VR HMD None
Software Windows 11 PRO
Well I just applied Kingpin KPx on my RTX 3090 yesterday and the result is very good :D

The most important is how you tighten the screws. First you will tighten the 4 screws surrounding the die, small rotation for each screw in the X order, until they all come to complete stop (hold the screw driver with your fingers). After that tighten the rest of the remaining screws.

Then play with your card as usual, increase the fans speed to keep the GPU cool.
My Rx580 GPU die is really small (232mmsq vs 628mmsq of 3090), are you sure should I continue with five dot method and not spread method? I am sorry if am coming off as over-smart; but could you please reasses your advice, please...

Processor i7 13700KF
Display(s) LG OLED CX48"
Case Corsair 5000D Air
Keyboard Corsair K75
Software win11
My Rx580 GPU die is really small (232mmsq vs 628mmsq of 3090), are you sure should I continue with five dot method and not spread method? I am sorry if am coming off as over-smart; but could you please reasses your advice, please...

Well better to have more thermal paste than not enough :D, more thermal paste than you need doesn't really affect temperature anyways.

The most important part is how you screw down the heatsink. From the look of your previous applications it seems that the mounting pressure was not evenly distributed, 1 corner of your GPU always missing thermal paste.

System Name myLastOne
Display(s) BenQ EW2775ZH
Keyboard Logitech G100
VR HMD None
Software Windows 11 PRO
Well better to have more thermal paste than not enough :D, more thermal paste than you need doesn't really affect temperature anyways.

The most important part is how you screw down the heatsink. From the look of your previous applications it seems that the mounting pressure was not evenly distributed, 1 corner of your GPU always missing thermal paste.
Thank you, will report back soon.

System Name BlackDragon
Processor Ryzen 5 2600
Motherboard MSI Gaming Pro Carbon
Cooling Silverstone RGB 240 AIO
Memory 32 gb 3200 Corsair vengence pro DDR4
Video Card(s) Asus Vega 56 OC edition 8gb
Storage 2x 512gb NVME m.2 plus 4x SSD's
Display(s) 29WK600 Ultrawide screen DP to DP
Case NZXT 630 phantom case
Audio Device(s) Onboard 1220 Realtek with Nahimic support
Power Supply 700Watt Cooler master
Mouse Generic gaming mouse
Keyboard Logitech G19s gaming keyboard
Software Win 10 (20H2)
@laszlo There has been an accident; I have uploaded the the pictures of a different time and might be even different thermal paste. They were I think of August-September timeframe ones. Actually, these are the correct pictures:
View attachment 177037
Sorry for the confusion.
View attachment 177038
Please do take a look again, do you still think this is not classic pump-out of thermal paste? The part encircled by a red line: I think this is not good contact, its I don't know maybe the part devoid of TIM (which has slid off the die and settled onto the outer side of the die).
@nguyen @AOne
If I have annoyed anyone then I do apologize beforehand.

What are you cleaning the die with as this may help us under stand what's going on.

Usually dry toilet paper to remove old thermal paste carefully and then TIM cleaner using cotton bud to remove residue then let it dry naturally
do the same process on the Heatsink.

then once dry apply thin film of either MX4 or Cryonaut thermal paste leave it for 1 min then place heatsink back on and tighten the screws finger tight
let it sit flat on a table top for 1 hr then retighten screws until finger tight do not apply more pressure than this other wise risk damaging the chip.

once installed run Pc for several hours then shut down restart don't run any stress tests until you have done the - run Pc for several hours then shut down restart for at least 3 hour interval this allows the paste to settle.

After this process then run the stress test also have Temp measure set up to monitor temp of GPU.

Screen shot your findings then post on here.

Hope this helps

System Name micropage7
Processor Intel Xeon X3470
Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. P55A-UD3R (Socket 1156)
Cooling Enermax ETS-T40F
Memory Samsung 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3
Video Card(s) NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800
Storage V-GEN03AS18EU120GB, Seagate 2 x 1TB and Seagate 4TB
Display(s) Samsung 21 inch LCD Wide Screen
Case Icute Super 18
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte
Power Supply Silverstone 600 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Sades Excalibur + Taihao keycaps
Software Win 7 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Classified

i usually use small dabs for processor and a small drop for something like chipset, and i agree you need to tighten it diagonally to make a proper pressure and to avoid any bend

Attachments

• download (1).jpg
    download (1).jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 69
System Name myLastOne
Display(s) BenQ EW2775ZH
Keyboard Logitech G100
VR HMD None
Software Windows 11 PRO
What are you cleaning the die with as this may help us under stand what's going on.

Usually dry toilet paper to remove old thermal paste carefully and then TIM cleaner using cotton bud to remove residue then let it dry naturally
do the same process on the Heatsink.

then once dry apply thin film of either MX4 or Cryonaut thermal paste leave it for 1 min then place heatsink back on and tighten the screws finger tight
let it sit flat on a table top for 1 hr then retighten screws until finger tight do not apply more pressure than this other wise risk damaging the chip.

once installed run Pc for several hours then shut down restart don't run any stress tests until you have done the - run Pc for several hours then shut down restart for at least 3 hour interval this allows the paste to settle.

After this process then run the stress test also have Temp measure set up to monitor temp of GPU.

Screen shot your findings then post on here.

Hope this helps

Thanks for trying to help me but yesterday I already applied Kingpin KPx. Will have to wait and see if problem reappears.
For your queries:
1. I used to use old newspapers but now I use old soft cloth with isopropyl alcohol.
2. I tried both small drop in the middle and spread method, yes I do not overtighten. Yes I do use cotton buds too. But this I dont do: "let it sit flat on a table top for 1 hr then retighten screws". I never even knew it no one even suggested this before you. I have already repasted.
3. "once installed run Pc for several hours then shut down restart don't run any stress tests until you have done the - run Pc for several hours then shut down restart for at least 3 hour interval this allows the paste to settle." yes did it today, infact still doing it now.
4. "After this process then run the stress test also have Temp measure set up to monitor temp of GPU." Only ran one game (Stalker Shadow of Chernobyl + Memories of the Zone mod) for about 30 mins erratically (quicksaving/quickloading a lot) temperature was around 65C. Sorry will play/stress test properly tomorrow or day after tomorrow.

Processor i7 13700KF
Display(s) LG OLED CX48"
Case Corsair 5000D Air
Keyboard Corsair K75
Software win11
Thanks for trying to help me but yesterday I already applied Kingpin KPx. Will have to wait and see if problem reappears.
For your queries:
1. I used to use old newspapers but now I use old soft cloth with isopropyl alcohol.
2. I tried both small drop in the middle and spread method, yes I do not overtighten. Yes I do use cotton buds too. But this I dont do: "let it sit flat on a table top for 1 hr then retighten screws". I never even knew it no one even suggested this before you. I have already repasted.
3. "once installed run Pc for several hours then shut down restart don't run any stress tests until you have done the - run Pc for several hours then shut down restart for at least 3 hour interval this allows the paste to settle." yes did it today, infact still doing it now.
4. "After this process then run the stress test also have Temp measure set up to monitor temp of GPU." Only ran one game (Stalker Shadow of Chernobyl + Memories of the Zone mod) for about 30 mins erratically (quicksaving/quickloading a lot) temperature was around 65C. Sorry will play/stress test properly tomorrow or day after tomorrow.

All the methods you just listed are for old paste like Arctic Silver 5 where it needs some thermal cycles and curing time to perform, new TIM like Kingpin KPx just perform well out of the tube.
65C sounds good, I read some reviews and they say your GPU usually reach 75C during games at stock fan profile.

System Name myLastOne
Display(s) BenQ EW2775ZH
Keyboard Logitech G100
VR HMD None
Software Windows 11 PRO
41st Day Report:
Temperatures are good, in fact they are better than good, don't know this is because of lower ambient temperature because of winter season. Also I have played less games during the last forty days.
With a simple fan curve like below, temperatures never went above 73C (worst case) @ 57%/2148rpm.
fanpro.png

Without the fan curve temperature were 75C-76C (worst case) @ 43% fan and less than 1800rpm.

Please note that I have labelled "worst-case" because this happens only in one game, that too not graphically intensive: Wasteland 3. In the Ranger Hq., in the garage customization menu temperature goes nuts, I don't know why. In other games: Stalker Anomaly, Horizon Zero Dawn, Borderlands 3 temperatures fluctuates from 67C-71C @ 37% fan but never like Wasteland 3.

Seems like this problem is solved, thanks everyone!

System Name AlderLake / Laptop
Processor Intel i7 12700K P-Cores @ 5Ghz / Intel i3 7100U
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master / HP 83A3 (U3E1)
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A 2 fans + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Extreme + 5 case fans / Fan
Memory 32GB DDR5 Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 6000MHz CL36 / 8GB DDR4 HyperX CL13
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio / Intel HD620
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Evo 500GB + 850 Pro 512GB + 860 Evo 1TB x2 / Samsung 256GB M.2 SSD
Display(s) 23.8" Dell S2417DG 165Hz G-Sync 1440p / 14" 1080p IPS Glossy
Case Be quiet! Silent Base 600 - Window / HP Pavilion
Audio Device(s) Panasonic SA-PMX94 / Realtek onboard + B&O speaker system / Harman Kardon Go + Play / Logitech G533
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750W / Powerbrick
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 2 Laser wireless / Logitech M330 wireless
Keyboard RAPOO E9270P Black 5GHz wireless / HP backlit
Software Windows 11 / Windows 10
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 (Single Core) 1936 @ stock Cinebench R23 (Multi Core) 23006 @ stock
Game on!
league of legends lol GIF by HyperX LATAM

System Name miss my 6 core xeon :[
Processor i5 11600K Stock
Motherboard Gigabyte Z590 Gaming X
Cooling Cooler Master Seidon 120 V3 Plus
Memory 32 GB Gskill F4-3600-C18-16GVK
Video Card(s) Rx5700 Founders
Storage Samsung P991 W10 / Samsung 870 EVO MacOs / Samsung 850 PRO Linux
Display(s) Dell S2421HGF
Case Akasa Infiniti
Audio Device(s) Xonar U7 Echolon