• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Red CPU light on Gigabyte B450 Aorus Elite motherboard, nothing working

er2407

My pc has been working perfectly for a couple months, until yesterday. I was moving some cables around and turned on my power supply and was met by only a flashing white Aorus logo on the motherboard. The power button does not work, only the lights on the motherboard. After unplugging everything and waiting a couple hours, I turned on my power supply and now I have RGB lighting on my motherboard and also a red status Led for the CPU. Still no power button or anything else. Should I try to test the motherboard on its box? I would appreciate some help.

Specs:
- Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus Elite
- CPU: Ryzen 7 2700
- PSU: EVGA BQ 600W

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 9900K@5.0GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z370 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB Corsair DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) ASUS Strix GTX 1080Ti
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) QNIX QX2710 1440p@120Hz
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Were you moving cables around inside the computer? The first thing I'd do is make sure all the power cables are plugged in in the computer. Paying particular attention to the 24-pin motherboard connector, the 8-pin CPU connector, and the 6/8-Pin GPU power connectors(if there are any).

er2407

I actually didn't touch any of the PSU cables, just an LED strip and wifi card. Now, all peripherals are unplugged including the LED strip and I just have the lights on the motherboard. I did check the power cables again and they are secured.

One thing I have tried is a CMOS reset, which didn't work.

System Name BorgX79
Processor i7-3930k 6/12cores@4.4GHz
Motherboard Sabertoothx79
Cooling Capitan 360
Memory Muhskin DDR3-1866
Video Card(s) Sapphire R480 8GB
Storage Chronos SSD
Display(s) 3x VW266H
Case Ching Mien 600
Audio Device(s) Realtek
Power Supply Cooler Master 1000W Silent Pro
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Rosewill RK-1000
Software Win7x64
You might possibly have static zapped it, and it's in a weird state.

Unplug all the external cables, everything outside the case, let it sit for ~30 seconds, and then plug everything back in, and see if it boots.

This was more common back in the CRT monitor days, but it's cold now, so static could be a problem.

A static zap can turn on a transistor somewhere, and a tiny source of power will hold it in that state until all power is removed.

My ethernet in the living room does this in the winter sometimes, if the cat gets too close to the hub, lol.

er2407

You might possibly have static zapped it, and it's in a weird state.

Unplug all the external cables, everything outside the case, let it sit for ~30 seconds, and then plug everything back in, and see if it boots.

This was more common back in the CRT monitor days, but it's cold now, so static could be a problem.

A static zap can turn on a transistor somewhere, and a tiny source of power will hold it in that state until all power is removed.

My ethernet in the living room does this in the winter sometimes, if the cat gets too close to the hub, lol.
Still no luck. All I get when I turn on the power supply is the motherboard RBG and the red CPU status led on the motherboard.

I am thinking about trying to reseat the CPU or try breadboarding. Do you know of any other options I could try before I have to take things apart?

I also did test the PSU in another build and it is working just fine.

System Name BorgX79
Processor i7-3930k 6/12cores@4.4GHz
Motherboard Sabertoothx79
Cooling Capitan 360
Memory Muhskin DDR3-1866
Video Card(s) Sapphire R480 8GB
Storage Chronos SSD
Display(s) 3x VW266H
Case Ching Mien 600
Audio Device(s) Realtek
Power Supply Cooler Master 1000W Silent Pro
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Rosewill RK-1000
Software Win7x64
I'd move everything you moved before, and check every cable, by unplug/replug before I disassembled it.