• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Rejoice! Base Clock Overclocking to Make a Comeback with "Skylake"

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Also, when overclocking with BCLK you'll be constantly struggling with stability unless you pump higher voltage even for idle, you can't use power saving features, your idle clock will be higher and because of all this, your CPU will be eating tons more power with no realistic benefits.

How many people with unlocked CPU's also perform overclocking? Not many I'd say. They have crab motherboards that aren't designed for overclocking anyway, they don't have coolers capable for doing it anyway and thos who do already buy unlocked stuff.

overall power draw difference is minimal.

Also, motherboard being part of an OC is a fallacy in many regards. BIOS tuning is the biggest factor, since Z77 Express. With Skylake, board matters a bit more again although mostly still due to BIOS, but cooling is no problem. I can clock my i5-6600 non-K up to 4.6 GHz @ 1.4V, and never see 75c under load.

Intel made OC a thing about money long ago. You wanna play, you gotta pay. I do not see a problem in this, since software is far slower than hardware, and even skt 1366 still performs well with today's software. I dropped my X99/5930K for Skylake because it is simply that much better, and I see no problem in having enthusiasts pony up the $$$ for R&D for better stuffs.

And what about Xeon V5?

If the upcomming Mainboards from Asus and Gigabyte with C232 Chipset get also a rebuild Bios the E3-1230 v5 could be very interesting! If someone needs Hyperthreading and ECC Memory.

E3-1230 v5 + C232 Mainbaord for around 370 Bucks. A fully unlocked Skylake Quad Core with more than 4,5 Ghz would be a solid system to build on.

Ah, yes, you have seen the light! ASRock also has such boards coming. The Xeon chips have a far better price/performance ration, cost less overall, and usually Xeon CPUs are some the best CPUs silicon-wise.

Nobody has asked what the catch is? Disabled monitoring of some things (voltages, DTS, etc).

System Name Coming up in september
Do we expect H110 to get these custom bios´ also, or are their CPU VRM/powerphases to weak to handle it?

System Name money pit..
Processor Intel 9900K 4.8 at 1.152 core voltage minus 0.120 offset
Motherboard Asus rog Strix Z370-F Gaming
Cooling Dark Rock TF air cooler.. Stock vga air coolers with case side fans to help cooling..
Memory 32 gb corsair vengeance 3200
Video Card(s) Palit Gaming Pro OC 2080TI
Storage 150 nvme boot drive partition.. 1T Sandisk sata.. 1T Transend sata.. 1T 970 evo nvme m 2..
Display(s) 27" Asus PG279Q ROG Swift 165Hrz Nvidia G-Sync, IPS.. 2560x1440..
Case Gigabyte mid-tower.. cheap and nothing special..
Audio Device(s) onboard sounds with stereo amp..
Power Supply EVGA 850 watt..
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech K270
Software Win 10 pro..
Benchmark Scores Firestike 29500.. timepsy 14000..
Really? There has ALWAYS been a premium for the best binned, highly overclockable chips. Go back to QX or X days in the Core 2 era. If you want the best, you pay for it. It's pretty much like that with anything in the world you buy.

there has always been bit of a con at work as well... better speed binned chips is the public statement.. but with good yields most chips were very similar.. this dosnt fit the market structure though so some were simply clocked less popped in a different box and sold at a different price..

it even when further than this.. some chips simply to fit the market pricing structure had perfect good working parts crippled to fill in the lower price slots.. this was what the game was all about.. basically the same product being clocked different and sold to different market segments..

i had one of the first core 2 chips available in this country.. sold with a clock speed 3 gig.. i was soon benching mine at 4.5 gig.. this was what overclocking used to be about.. and maybe what its going back. :)

its wasnt really overclocking.. it was more running the chip closer to the speeds it was really capable of instead of the makers pretend figure..

trog

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
there has always been bit of a con at work as well... better speed binned chips is the public statement..

You ARE aware that one wafer will yield multiple quality chips, right? No con at all. Binning sorts them after testing into quality tiers. You really should visit a production plant if you've never had a chance to work at one or visit.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Do we expect H110 to get these custom bios´ also, or are their CPU VRM/powerphases to weak to handle it?
It is possible VRM may be too "light" on some boards and will affect OC, but not that much, IMHO. Most CPUs will max out @ <150W.

As to how far this reaches board-wise, I actually hope to see only Z170 boards with support, but the original SuperMicro board was H170. I do think options to adjust things need already exist within the board's BIOS. It works fine on my Z170 GAMING K6+, but multiplier adjustments are not available and the best results are from disabling turbo (obviously).

there has always been bit of a con at work as well... better speed binned chips is the public statement.. but with good yields most chip were very similar.. this dosnt fit the market structure though so some were simply clocked less popped in a different box and sold at a different price..

Things are quite varied when it comes to a SKU. I have seen 6700K, for example, with stock voltage of 1.230 V - 1.325 V, and 24/7 air-cooled clocking abilities from 4.4 GHz to 5 GHz.

The non-K chips have very similar clockspeeds as their K-chip counterparts, but the biggest difference is a drop of 30W from the TDP. You are right that results between each will be very similar, but in the grand scheme of things, the non-K CPUs might end up on top, based on what I've had in my hands (which is a very limited number (<20 still) of Skylake chips).

BS. 6600 with a cooler for 25 EUR (because that's how much average user might be willing to spend on a cooler) and never see 75°C at that clock, not likely. But yeah, if you slam a 80 EUR AiO on it, of course it'll never go past 75°C...

Processor Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard Asus TUF-Gaming B550-Plus
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S
Memory 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon Rx 580 Nitro+ 8GB
Storage HP EX950 512GB + Samsung 970 PRO 1TB
Display(s) HP Z Display Z24i G2
Case Fractal Design Define R6 Black
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster AE-5
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME Ultra 650W Gold
Mouse Roccat Kone AIMO Remastered
Software Windows 10 x64
We're talking changing the BCLK without changing other clocks that hurt stability. BCLK overclocking has been really spotty due to this.
Yeah but I the way I understand it, Skylake has the BCLK clock independant on everything else, so what's the big talk about special BIOSes and specific manufacturers? Unless I am missing something, you can do it already on any board (I presume even the lowest end Skylake chipsets allow for frequency changes).

System Name Coming up in september
Yeah but I the way I understand it, Skylake has the BCLK clock independant on everything else, so what's the big talk about special BIOSes and specific manufacturers? Unless I am missing something, you can do it already on any board (I presume even the lowest end Skylake chipsets allow for frequency changes).
I believe without the Bios, the BLCK had a "coded" wall of 102.8Mhz

iO

Processor R7 5700x
Motherboard MSI B450i Gaming
Cooling Accelero Mono CPU Edition
Memory 16 GB VLP
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6700 XT
Storage P34A80 512GB
Display(s) LG 27UM67 UHD
Case none
Power Supply SS G-650
Pretty nice but Intel worked hard the last ~5 years to make sure the customer only gets what he paid for so they definitely have no interest in Core i3s OCed to i5 performance levels or even i5s to i7s...

So they will shut it down somehow asap.

Edit: Only Z170 boards will work as most H based boards dont come with an external Clock-Generator for BCLK afaik..

Last edited:

cadaveca

My name is Dave
You missed that it doesn't work already. ASUS reps even stated that they tried to enable this function, but could not. Not sure what made the difference now, TBH.

So they will shut it down somehow asap.

Freeze your system's configuration at this point in time, and it will always be possible. Sure, with updated softwares or such, it could be blocked (and perhaps the Win10/G3258 thing heralds either such an idea).

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
It would take a heck of an overclock to overcome having 2x more cores for multi-threaded applications...

Processor Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard Asus TUF-Gaming B550-Plus
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S
Memory 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon Rx 580 Nitro+ 8GB
Storage HP EX950 512GB + Samsung 970 PRO 1TB
Display(s) HP Z Display Z24i G2
Case Fractal Design Define R6 Black
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster AE-5
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME Ultra 650W Gold
Mouse Roccat Kone AIMO Remastered
Software Windows 10 x64
You missed that it doesn't work already. ASUS reps even stated that they tried to enable this function, but could not. Not sure what made the difference now, TBH.
Right. I don't follow the news too much :p
So is it something in the non-K CPUs that prevent the BIOS from changing the BCLK on boards that otherwise support that?

Paying for extra OCing isn't a bad thing. After all if they make a certain SKU just for overclocking, they will make overclocking requirements for products that otherwise wouldn't have been there. The skylake BLCk is one instance where overclocking is a requirements. I like to think of it this way: When you pay for a K SKU you are also kind of investing into the future of overclocking improvements to CPUs. So far since Intel launched K SKUs, overclocking hasn't only become simpler, but also newer OC features have been added, and intel has focused on it much more than in the past.

cdawall

where the hell are my stars
System Name All the cores
Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Cooling CPU-XSPC RayStorm Neo, 2x240mm+360mm, D5PWM+140mL, GPU-2x360mm, 2xbyski, D4+D5+100mL
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill 3600
Video Card(s) (2) EVGA SC BLACK 1080Ti's
Storage 2x Samsung SM951 512GB, Samsung PM961 512GB
Display(s) Dell UP2414Q 3840X2160@60hz
Case Caselabs Mercury S5+pedestal
Audio Device(s) Fischer HA-02->Fischer FA-002W High edition/FA-003/Jubilate/FA-011 depending on my mood
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1200w
Mouse Thermaltake Theron, Steam controller
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
Someone wants a decent quite new LGA1150 setup? :D

EDIT: And for the love of mercy, someone try this on Celerons and Pentiums.

That is what I am thinking. Time for a resurrection of the low cache clubhouse.

This should also mean there is a good chance people could bump those 6700HQ laptop chips up via windows...hmmmm maybe I don't need a 6820HK

great news for enthusiasts, and why i love asrock in these late years, always on top of "official bios mods" to help customers get the best bang4buck possible with lots of options
regardless of crappy softlocks and "buy this promo code to update your cpu" stuff, intel will still profit big time so its a win-win
thx dhenzjhen

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
Also, when overclocking with BCLK you'll be constantly struggling with stability unless you pump higher voltage even for idle, you can't use power saving features, your idle clock will be higher and because of all this, your CPU will be eating tons more power with no realistic benefits.

How many people with unlocked CPU's also perform overclocking? Not many I'd say. They have crab motherboards that aren't designed for overclocking anyway, they don't have coolers capable for doing it anyway and thos who do already buy unlocked stuff.
It would take a heck of an overclock to overcome having 2x more cores for multi-threaded applications...

All of these are reasons why it's not the same. Core count and the fact that it's not really necessary anymore, unless you have good equipment to begin with (120hz monitors for instance and pushing for that many FPS). CPU's are so fast it doesn't make much of a difference, practically.

MxPhenom 216

ASIC Engineer
System Name Ryzen Reflection
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aorus Master
Cooling 2x EK PE360 | TechN AM4 AMD Block Black | EK Quantum Vector Trinity GPU Nickel + Plexi
Memory Teamgroup T-Force Xtreem 2x16GB B-Die 3600 @ 14-14-14-28-42-288-2T 1.45v
Video Card(s) Zotac AMP HoloBlack RTX 3080Ti 12G | 950mV 1950Mhz
Storage WD SN850 500GB (OS) | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB (Games_1) | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB (Games_2)
Display(s) Asus XG27AQM 240Hz G-Sync Fast-IPS | Gigabyte M27Q-P 165Hz 1440P IPS | Asus 24" IPS (portrait mode)
Case Lian Li PC-011D XL | Custom cables by Cablemodz
Audio Device(s) FiiO K7 | Sennheiser HD650 + Beyerdynamic FOX Mic
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 850
Mouse Razer Viper v2 Pro
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Tournament Edition
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit
I wonder if this can be done with any Z170 board. I am putting together a rig for my sister and her boyfriend to play Minecraft, Sims, MOBAs and WoW. An i3 6100 will be the CPU, be nice to be able to overclock that as I do not think they will upgrade for a long long time. Only if they feel like they need al ittle bit more performance in the next few years. AsRock Pro4 Z170 looks good for this build

System Name Ciel
Processor AMD Ryzen R5 5600X
Motherboard Asus Tuf Gaming B550 Plus
Cooling ID-Cooling 224-XT Basic
Memory 2x 16GB Kingston Fury 3600MHz@3933MHz
Video Card(s) Gainward Ghost 3060 Ti 8GB + Sapphire Pulse RX 6600 8GB
Storage NVMe Kingston KC3000 2TB + NVMe Toshiba KBG40ZNT256G + HDD WD 4TB
Display(s) AOC Q27G3XMN + Samsung S22F350
Case Cougar MX410 Mesh-G
Audio Device(s) Kingston HyperX Cloud Stinger Core 7.1 Wireless PC
Power Supply Aerocool KCAS-500W
Mouse EVGA X15
Keyboard VSG Alnilam
Software Windows 11
If it's only possible on a Z170, then is almost totally pointless, if you have the money to justify a Z170 mobo, then you can get an unlocked processor.
The point of bclk overclocking is to get better value out of cheap options.
I hope Zen is just good enough to make Intel do something, anything to give better value to their expensive products.

All hail the core+cache unlocked Denebs and overclocked-on-any-board Wolfdales/Conroes, the kings of value xD

samezra

THIS IS HUGE!!!!
Wow I'm so happy, I wanted to get the ASRock H170M Pro4 the only board with display port (apart for the pricy ROG) in the m-ATX form factor.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Cache overclocking... Besides, memory bottleneck on quad channel? Not likely...
I think you might be surprised. Anyway, the reviews will tell us how much performance boost this delivers and we'll know for sure.

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
I think you might be surprised. Anyway, the reviews will tell us how much performance boost this delivers and we'll know for sure.
links plz... :)

I haven't seen much real world results from cache in any (intel)platform. Only in a couple of hwbot benchmarks does it matter too...

For bclk only, you won't see any increases really on z170 since it isn't associated with any other bus.

Last edited:

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
I disagree. And so would a lot of benchmarks. ;)

I should include "unless you do the following a lot: media editing, compiling, folding/crunching/mining/any kind of constant workload, running complex simulations, compress/decompress, encryption, measuring e-dicks and/or want to get 120FPS in some games that require such speed which not all games does" in every sentence but I honestly couldn't be bothered. :laugh: