• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Remember when "Building Your Own" Made Financial Sense ?

System Name Americas cure is the death of Social Justice & Political Correctness
Processor i7-11700K
Motherboard Asrock Z590 Extreme wifi 6E
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB Corsair RGB fancy boi 5000
Video Card(s) RTX 3090 Reference
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1Tb + Samsung 970 Evo 500Gb
Display(s) Dell - 27" LED QHD G-SYNC x2
Case Fractal Design Meshify-C
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ Gold 1000 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502 spectrum
Keyboard AZIO MGK-1 RGB (Kaith Blue)
Software Win 10 Professional 64 bit
Benchmark Scores the MLGeesiest
As far as I can see these tariffs won't benefit you, and it won't hurt China either since only the buyer gets stung.. I'm glad you're so happy about paying more, just because your leader wants a 'trade war'. Thing is until you guys can mass produce electronics, you HAVE to buy parts from China. Putting a tariff in place when you don't have an in-house alternative is just ridiculous imo.

i agree a trade war is never great, but, no nation could ever hope to win a trade war with the USA. And , although tariffs have the ability to cause price hikes, its also a way to spur competition between retailers/manufacturers. i wouldnt be surprised to see manufacturers start cutting their profit, instead of hiking their retail prices, for the privledge to compete in the Largest market in the world (making $90/unit profit, instead of $100/unit profit), for fear of another manufacturer doing it and cutting out the ones who wont. Tarriffs have hurt the USA in the past, so the precedent is there for bad things, but i refuse to make assumptions based on what HAS happened, & instead i look forward with hope for good outcomes, with a realization of the possibility of bad outcomes. in short, we'll see.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
I didn't call anyone a communist I just set it out right.

Just own up to the insult. No one will get it anyway as they're communist zombies!

i but i refuse to make assumptions based on what HAS happened, & instead i look forward with hope for good outcomes, with a realization of the possibility of bad outcomes. in short, we'll see.

What's the definition of insanity again? :p
(that was seriously a joke and actually not a political statement)

System Name Americas cure is the death of Social Justice & Political Correctness
Processor i7-11700K
Motherboard Asrock Z590 Extreme wifi 6E
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB Corsair RGB fancy boi 5000
Video Card(s) RTX 3090 Reference
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1Tb + Samsung 970 Evo 500Gb
Display(s) Dell - 27" LED QHD G-SYNC x2
Case Fractal Design Meshify-C
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ Gold 1000 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502 spectrum
Keyboard AZIO MGK-1 RGB (Kaith Blue)
Software Win 10 Professional 64 bit
Benchmark Scores the MLGeesiest
Since I overclock anything I can, almost every PC which I've had has been built by me. I can choose a case which suits for my needs, I can get cables run nicely, I can get a good quality PSU..

Can't speak to Finland ... but here in US... Cyberpower is one of those that will build just about anything, many even overclock

1. You can buy PCs overclocked
2. You can choose your Case and PSU
3. You can chose every single one of your components ... even on a lappie after starting with one of several Chassis / Screen Combos
4. You can choose your case.
5. You can even choose the cables.
6. You can have them installed w/ combs and routed.

Some of those are gonna cost ya where extra labor is involved (1 and 6) but the others usually come at no additional cost other than parts prices. I can see over in your neck of the woods, smaller population and significantly higher prices, there might not be room for this business model to succeed.

https://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/CyberPower-Z370-i7-Configurator

While a few have been trying to make this a political discussion in and of itself, despite the narrowness of the original post .... the question remains ...

Assuming we are going to have a tariff, and forgetting the sensibility of that question, the scope here is limited ... If you are going to put a tariff on PC related items ... Why put it on parts instead of pre-builts .. or tariff on both ? That's it.

1. Most parts aren't even made outside of China and those that are, at least partially, are not made in the USA. If you have an economic justification for this, let's hear it. How does this do anything more than cost consumers more money ? Will 30% surcharge on parts shift jobs to the US ? Are we really expecting fabs to be built, commissioned, workers trained here in the US in this decade ? Where do trained employees come from (Immigrants via Class 1B Visas ?) What's the impact on US businesses like Cyberpower ? What's the impact of the 10's of thousands of PC related service companies and mom / pop stores ? Will not this just leave a lot of US workers unemployed ?

2. OTOH, what does putting a tariff on pre-builts do..... it provides an opportunity for even more obscene profits. Alienware was mentioned where upgrading from 8 to 16GB can cost you $275. The lemmings that walk into BestBuy see a recognized name like Dell and scoop them up having no idea as to what they are buying won't notice. But if that $2200 Alienware equivalent to that $1800 Cyberpower build is obscene, Alienware can now add $450 to the price because their US based competition is paying $480 more for their parts. Put tariff on the pre-builts and there's an actual incentive for companies to move the labor / assembly here.

It's not about whether tariffs are a good idea; it's not a political "should they exist or not exist" discussion ... there's enough political propaganda in members avatars and sigs. I don't see the value in responses consisting of nothing but name calling w/o even addressing the topic. We have to deal with ridiculous statements every day from both sides of the aisle in the press ... this week's best example "By that do you mean sped up? Well that's not altered. That's sped up. They do it all the time in sports to see if there's actually a first down or a touchdown."

It's simply about, if it's a given that there's gonna be a tariff to improve American jobs situation putting it on parts instead of pre-builts has the opposite effect. It's gonna do the opposite of what they are saying it's gonna do ... just like the above ... they don't speed up the film to see if it 's a first down, they do the opposite; they slow it down to see of the knee hit ground before the ball passed the line. Again, I'm making no comment about the event which was being referred to so I hope folks can refrain from bringing in non-relevant propaganda regarding the event on either side. What happened in that room is irrelevant. The only relevance of that statement in this context i .... They do it [speed up the film] all the time in sports to see if there's actually a first down or a touchdown." .... is what was said and that is the direct opposite of what actually takes place with sports films. Same here... a tariff on parts will not create jobs it will eliminate them. No tariff on prebuilts will also eliminate jobs as it destroys any incentive to assemble here.

I dare say when this hits the mainstream press, elected leaders will have a hard time defending this duality. Not saying I agree with it but I can see and argument for a "tariff on pre-builts", I can see a "tariff on both parts and prebuilts" ... a tariff on parts only makes as much sense as speeding up a film helps you see better. Somebody goofed with the statement and someone goofed w/ the parts only idea.

Last edited:

Chloefile

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite
Cooling Custom loop (CPU+GPU, 240 & 120 rads)
Memory 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury @ DDR4-3466
Video Card(s) PowerColor RX 6700 XT Fighter
Storage ~4TB SSD + 6TB HDD
Display(s) Acer 27" 4K120 IPS + Lenovo 32" 4K60 IPS
Case Fractal Design Define Mini C
Audio Device(s) Asus TUF H3 Wireless
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Roccat Vulcan 121 AIMO
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores It runs Crysis remastered at 4K
It sucks how politics have effect on normal people's purchases.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
Can't speak to Finland ... but here in US... Cyberpower is one of those that will build just about anything, many even overclock

3. You can chose every single one of your components ... even on a lappie after starting with one of several Chassis / Screen Combos

Some of those are gonna cost ya where extra labor is involved (1 and 6) but the others usually come at no additional cost other than parts prices. I can see over in your neck of the woods, smaller population and significantly higher prices, there might not be room for this business model to succeed.

While a few have been trying to make this a political discussion in and of itself, despite the narrowness of the original post .... the question remains ...

Assuming we are going to have a tariff, and forgetting the sensibility of that question, the scope here is limited ... If you are going to put a tariff on PC related items ... Why put it on parts instead of pre-builts .. or tariff on both ? That's it.

1. Most parts aren't even made outside of China and those that are, at least partially, are not made in the USA. If you have an economic justification for this, let's hear it. How does this do anything more than cost consumers more money ? Will 30% surcharge on parts shift jobs to the US ? Are we really expecting fabs to be built, commissioned, workers trained here in the US in this decade ? Where do trained employees come from (Immigrants via Class 1B Visas ?) What's the impact on US businesses like Cyberpower ? What's the impact of the 10's of thousands of PC related service companies and mom / pop stores ? Will not this just leave a lot of US workers unemployed ?

2. OTOH, what does putting a tariff on pre-builts do..... it provides an opportunity for even more obscene profits. Alienware was mentioned where upgrading from 8 to 16GB can cost you $275. The lemmings that walk into BestBuy see a recognized name like Dell and scoop them up having no idea as to what they are buying won't notice. But if that $2200 Alienware equivalent to that $1800 Cyberpower build is obscene, Alienware can now add $450 to the price because their US based competition is paying $480 more for their parts. Put tariff on the pre-builts and there's an actual incentive for companies to move the labor / assembly here.

It's not about whether tariffs are a good idea; it's not a political "should they exist or not exist" discussion ... there's enough political propaganda in members avatars and sigs. I don't see the value in responses consisting of nothing but name calling w/o even addressing the topic. We have to deal with ridiculous statements every day from both sides of the aisle in the press ... this week's best example "By that do you mean sped up? Well that's not altered. That's sped up. They do it all the time in sports to see if there's actually a first down or a touchdown."

It's simply about, if it's a given that there's gonna be a tariff to improve American jobs situation putting it on parts instead of pre-builts has the opposite effect. It's gonna do the opposite of what they are saying it's gonna do ... just like the above ... they don't speed up the film to see if it 's a first down, they do the opposite; they slow it down to see of the knee hit ground before the ball passed the line. Again, I'm making no comment about the event which was being referred to so I hope folks can refrain from bringing in non-relevant propaganda regarding the event on either side. The only relevance of that statement here .... They do it [speed up the film] all the time in sports to see if there's actually a first down or a touchdown." .... is only that what was said is the direct opposite of what takes place with sports films. Same here... a tariff on parts will not create jobs it will eliminate them. No tariff on prebuilts will also eliminate jobs as it destroys any incentive to assemble here.

I dare say when this hits the mainstream press, elected leaders will have a hard time defending this duality. Not saying I agree with it, I can see and argument for a "tariff on pre-builts", I can see a "tariff on both" ... a tariff on parts only makes sense only in they way that speeding up a film helps you see better. Somebody goofed.
In summary you got a lot of the points correct, and even tried to make it just a discussion on the results. Bravo

However, your premise for a tarrif is wrong. It is not about getting jobs back. Tarrifs are about access. China has been very limiting about what the U.S. can import to China. Costs are astronomical to export to China. They mostly only allow U.S. products to be sold if they are produced there.

But they have always insisted the U.S. allow their products to be exported to the U.S. past U.S. governments run by both parties have always been more than happy to just bend over and get their ass kicked, and let it continue and continue, until the trade imbalance was completely bonkers.

The tarrif is a punitive measure that should eventually cause China to relent on their unfair actions, allowing more imports. Once they realize they can’t bully the U.S., because A) they need the huge market, and B) they need to feed their people, then tarrifs can be removed and everyone is happy.

To have continued to allow the Chinese to have whatever they want in trade “agreements” would have amounted to economic suicide eventually.

System Name money pit..
Processor Intel 9900K 4.8 at 1.152 core voltage minus 0.120 offset
Motherboard Asus rog Strix Z370-F Gaming
Cooling Dark Rock TF air cooler.. Stock vga air coolers with case side fans to help cooling..
Memory 32 gb corsair vengeance 3200
Video Card(s) Palit Gaming Pro OC 2080TI
Storage 150 nvme boot drive partition.. 1T Sandisk sata.. 1T Transend sata.. 1T 970 evo nvme m 2..
Display(s) 27" Asus PG279Q ROG Swift 165Hrz Nvidia G-Sync, IPS.. 2560x1440..
Case Gigabyte mid-tower.. cheap and nothing special..
Audio Device(s) onboard sounds with stereo amp..
Power Supply EVGA 850 watt..
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech K270
Software Win 10 pro..
Benchmark Scores Firestike 29500.. timepsy 14000..
In summary you got a lot of the points correct, and even tried to make it just a discussion on the results. Bravo

However, your premise for a tarrif is wrong. It is not about getting jobs back. Tarrifs are about access. China has been very limiting about what the U.S. can import to China. Costs are astronomical to export to China. They mostly only allow U.S. products to be sold if they are produced there.

But they have always insisted the U.S. allow their products to be exported to the U.S. past U.S. governments run by both parties have always been more than happy to just bend over and get their ass kicked, and let it continue and continue, until the trade imbalance was completely bonkers.

The tarrif is a punitive measure that should eventually cause China to relent on their unfair actions, allowing more imports. Once they realize they can’t bully the U.S., because A) they need the huge market, and B) they need to feed their people, then tarrifs can be removed and everyone is happy.

To have continued to allow the Chinese to have whatever they want in trade “agreements” would have amounted to economic suicide eventually.

could well be its a bit late.. it was said years ago that power is moving from the west to the east.. we have benefited with all the cheap stuff from china they work harder than we do and they work cheaper..

economic warfare will lead to bad things for every bugger concerned.. the future aint looking very bright.. he he

trog

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
could well be its a bit late.. it was said years ago that power is moving from the west to the east.. we have benefited with all the cheap stuff from china they work harder than we do and they work cheaper..

economic warfare will lead to bad things for every bugger concerned.. the future aint looking very bright.. he he

trog
I’m not getting pulled into a pro or con. I merely identified what the tarrifs are about and why it got to that point.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches
Software Windows 11 Enterprise (legit), Gentoo Linux x64
if thats how you define insanity.

It was Einstiens definition, if I can attribute correctly. But I give up. Lock this thread. We've completely lost sight of the non-political issues at stake here.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64

It's simply about, if it's a given that there's gonna be a tariff to improve American jobs situation putting it on parts instead of pre-builts has the opposite effect. It's gonna do the opposite of what they are saying it's gonna do ... just like the above ... they don't speed up the film to see if it 's a first down, they do the opposite; they slow it down to see of the knee hit ground before the ball passed the line. Again, I'm making no comment about the event which was being referred to so I hope folks can refrain from bringing in non-relevant propaganda regarding the event on either side. What happened in that room is irrelevant. The only relevance of that statement in this context i .... They do it [speed up the film] all the time in sports to see if there's actually a first down or a touchdown." .... is what was said and that is the direct opposite of what actually takes place with sports films. Same here... a tariff on parts will not create jobs it will eliminate them. No tariff on prebuilts will also eliminate jobs as it destroys any incentive to assemble here.

I dare say when this hits the mainstream press, elected leaders will have a hard time defending this duality. Not saying I agree with it but I can see and argument for a "tariff on pre-builts", I can see a "tariff on both parts and prebuilts" ... a tariff on parts only makes as much sense as speeding up a film helps you see better. Somebody goofed with the statement and someone goofed w/ the parts only idea.

You do realize no one is going to read a wall of text like that

Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master
Cooling ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 360 A-RGB
Memory 32 GB Ballistix Elite DDR4-3600 CL16
Video Card(s) XFX 6800 XT Speedster Merc 319 Black
Storage Sabrent Rocket NVMe 4.0 1TB
Display(s) LG 27GL850B x 2 / ASUS MG278Q
Case be quiet! Silent Base 802
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster AE-7 / Sennheiser HD 660S
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium
Software Windows 11 Pro 64
If you want to call it a rant, be my guest if ya makes ya feel better. But if you want to be accurate and stay within the stated focus of the post, it's solely about the reverse logic as it relates to the application of tariffs on this industry and this community. While the tariff stategy as a whole is questionable, that has nothing to do with this thread. This thread is about "why tariifs are being applied to PC parts and not entire PC's ?"

1. What effect will a tariff on parts have ? Logically a tariff is supposed to have the effect of encouraging the consumer to by an alternative made product. How does that tariiff do that ? Please go to PCpartpicker and make us a list off 100% made in USA products so we can all do the right thing.

2. How does making entire PCs exempt from a tariiff serve to promote "Buy American" ? If anything, it's going to promote buying ONLY from companies that do NOT make anything here.

The tariff as applied here does the exact opposite of what tariffs are intended to do.

1. It's not creating American jobs, it's eliminating them
2. It's taking purchasing power out of the hands of consumers resulting in them buying less.
Just calling a spade a spade. I get no satisfaction out of this one way or the other.
You're now bringing up American made components, buying American, creating American jobs and the purchasing power of American consumers. If that isn't the topic of a political discussion, I don't know what is. What effect will the tarrif have? That's very clear. A temporary increase in prices. But the industry is already looking to adapt and adjust to this, as evident in this recent Digitimes article.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
Because tariffs are scheduled. Electronic components are scheduled, consumer electronics are not. Tarriffed or not, respectively, but as I said, the latter is liable to change. The tariffs started off narrow in scope (steel and aluminum, then industrial equipment, then components) and Trump has threatened to expand the tariffs to include just about everything China exports to the USA if they aren't getting close to an agreement by the end of the year.

The tariffs are having their intended affect. China's manufacturing sector barely grew in the last quarter (down to 0.2% on October).

Production spiked in 2017 and early 2018 because of preparation for the tariffs. The peak is likely not to be as high by the end of this year and much lower next year:

Last edited:
System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches
Software Windows 11 Enterprise (legit), Gentoo Linux x64
You do realize no one is going to read a wall of text like that

*sighs*

I remember when people actually appreciated thought out posts. I do, still. And hate to break your theory but his post is more on topic than 90% of them here and thus got a read from me.

Yes, there are politics in it. But I mean, that ship sailed long ago...

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
It should be added that tariffs are taxes levied and collected by Uncle Sam. Taxes can be refunded or invested. Case in point: Trump responded to China's asinine import tariffs on soybeans with increased subsidies to farmers that were hugely impacted by their retaliatory tariffs. In other words, your purchase of tariffed computer components is going towards making sure we don't lose skilled laborers that keep our bellies full. Tariffs are fantastic compared to estate, property, and death taxes. Not for free trade, of course, but China earned this by leeching off of the USA for decades. Free trade must be a two way street or it is not mutually beneficial; it's parasitic.

Last edited:
System Name 1.Archimedes 2. Ianna
Processor 1. i7 7700k 2. R5 1600x
Motherboard 1. MSI Z270 Gaming Pro Carbon 2. ASUS Prime X470 Pro
Cooling 1. U12S with IPPC 3000RPM 2. AMD Wraith Prism
Memory 1. 16GB Crucial 2400MHz (4x4GB) 2. 16GB Crucial 2666Mhz (4x4GB)
Video Card(s) 1. MSI 1060 Gaming X Plus(6GB). 2. MSI 1050TI Gaming X (4GB)
Storage 1. 32GB Optane+120 GB SSD, 4TB X300, Firecuda 2TB. 2. Kingston 240GB SSD, 4TB X300, 2TB WD Blue
Display(s) 1.Samsung Q7FN 55 Inch 2. AOC G2460VQ6
Case 1. S340 Elite. 2. S340
Audio Device(s) 1. Q70R Soundbar 2.Lenovo Y Gaming, Galaxy Buds
Power Supply 1. Antec TPC 750W 2. Antec EAG650 Pro (Both Seasonic OEM)
Mouse G502, G102
Keyboard G413
I would never go for a pre-built PC for one reason. I always (Since my Pentium 4) mismatch GFX card and CPU at first, and upgrade GPU over time. I live in South Africa, so comparisons are difficult. For reference, a GTX 1060 is currently 50%-60% of the price I paid last year.

Edit: Pre-builts are definitely cheaper here as well and better value/peace of mind for parents, and cheaper short term. I wont deny that a i3-7100 would perform equal for cheaper right now.
Since its only been a year and a half and core count on the new i7 has doubled, I have some worries, but CPU still pushes over 100FPS at everything.

Last edited:

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
I would never go for a pre-built PC for one reason. I always (Since my Pentium 4) mismatch GFX card and CPU at first, and upgrade GPU over time. I live in South Africa, so comparisons are difficult. For reference, a GTX 1060 is currently 50%-60% of the price I paid last year.

Ryzen Raven Ridge is Changing that.

fullinfusion

Vanguard Beta Tester
@John Naylor, building a computer.... it has been nothing more then a leaky tap.... (money trap) always buying! I myself ride the wave and WAIT! I just wish I could Get the wave right now.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X

Edit: Pre-builts are definitely cheaper here as well and better value/peace of mind for parents, and cheaper short term. I wont deny that a i3-7100 would perform equal for cheaper right now.
Since its only been a year and a half and core count on the new i7 has doubled, I have some worries, but CPU still pushes over 100FPS at everything.
My problem with prebuilts is they love to use proprietary components which makes servicing them a pain. If it's not proprietary, it's BTX, and there's little in the way of BTX support in the aftermarket. What it boils down to is a simple question for me: do I want an appliance or not? Prebuilts are appliances where custom built can evolve over time. Short term prebuilt is usually cheaper but long term, it is not. Gaming consoles are cheaper up front for the same reason.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
My problem with prebuilts is they love to use proprietary components which makes servicing them a pain. If it's not proprietary, it's BTX, and there's little in the way of BTX support in the aftermarket. What it boils down to is a simple question for me: do I want an appliance or not? Prebuilts are appliances where custom built can evolve over time. Short term prebuilt is usually cheaper but long term, it is not. Gaming consoles are cheaper up front for the same reason.

Some prebuilts can be upgraded.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Vendors like Cyberpower that build machines from off the shelf parts, yeah. Most OEMs have free PCIe and (SO-)DIMM slots. I'm talking motherboard and power supply mostly. If the motherboard or power supply fails, either you have to buy the replacement part second hand or spend a small fortune to have the OEM repair it. The latter, the system might as well be considered totaled if it is out of warranty.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Vendors like Cyberpower that build machines from off the shelf parts, yeah. Most OEMs have free PCIe and (SO-)DIMM slots. I'm talking motherboard and power supply mostly. If the motherboard or power supply fails, either you have to buy the replacement part second hand or spend a small fortune to have the OEM repair it. The latter, the system might as well be considered totaled if it is out of warranty.

I know a lot of hps were like that, dells not so much

Processor Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard X470 Tachi Ultimate
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken 3
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Software Win 7
Benchmark Scores Never high enough
One thing I hate about Dell's and HP's is the fact many of their key components are proprietary which basically means "Bend Over" if you need a component to be upgraded or replaced. Some models they make are fairly user-friendly that way but some are not. The thing is since many Dell's and such are made of proprietary components they can charge a much higher price since they would be the only source for said parts period and that's how they want it.

After I paid $1700 for the very first computer I ever owned back in the good 'ol days of Socket 370/A I learned how and been doing it ever since for far less.
Still have the case, board and CPU from it, the board and CPU still works to this day but beyond useless by now for anything that one could use it for.

AurumExtreme3_870

System Name Ancient Workhorse
Processor AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition
Motherboard Asrock 870 Extreme3 AM3
Cooling Generic 4 Copper Pipe Cooler
Memory 4GB+2GB DDR3 1333
Video Card(s) Galaxy GTX 560 mini
Storage 1TB+500GB+250GB HDD (Hitachi+Western Digital+Seagate)
Display(s) Compaq S2021a
Case Rakk Hawani
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC892
Power Supply FSP Aurum 550M
Mouse Badwolf 20M Clicker
Keyboard Generic Cherry MX Blue
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Hey I know this be a young thread necro but power supplies on prebuilt units are usually made by Delta/Hipro and they have good build quality excluding the bad capacitor era (Until 2006).
Hell,excluding the Motherboard killing ATX-250E Bestec makes decent Oem power supplies. The only thing limiting them in upgradeability is mostly the lack of pci-e connectors or they lack the headroom due to being tailored only for the stock hardware configuration.