• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Remove Arctic Cooling ATI 5 ver2

calikev

Well after realizing that my X850pro (agp) was hardlocked, i decided to get a new card and sell my old one to a friend. Only problem is he has a shuttlebox.. meaning he need the Stock cooler put back on the card.
Last night i took out all the screws from the Arctic cooler and tried to gently pry it appart.. no dice! it seams that the Adhesive they use for the ramsinks will not release! i cant get the back plate off or the front heatsink! Any suggestions as to how to remove the HSF?
Has anyone removed there AC ATI5? or is it on there for good?
thanks in advance!

the card is less then 2 weeks old and the new cooler has only been on for a week!

Before i get some flames... i couldnt turn down the deal from microcenter for a X850XT for $199 after rebate!

My only thought is to either Heat the sucker up in the oven to soften the adhesive...

System Name money pit..
Processor Intel 9900K 4.8 at 1.152 core voltage minus 0.120 offset
Motherboard Asus rog Strix Z370-F Gaming
Cooling Dark Rock TF air cooler.. Stock vga air coolers with case side fans to help cooling..
Memory 32 gb corsair vengeance 3200
Video Card(s) Palit Gaming Pro OC 2080TI
Storage 150 nvme boot drive partition.. 1T Sandisk sata.. 1T Transend sata.. 1T 970 evo nvme m 2..
Display(s) 27" Asus PG279Q ROG Swift 165Hrz Nvidia G-Sync, IPS.. 2560x1440..
Case Gigabyte mid-tower.. cheap and nothing special..
Audio Device(s) onboard sounds with stereo amp..
Power Supply EVGA 850 watt..
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech K270
Software Win 10 pro..
Benchmark Scores Firestike 29500.. timepsy 14000..
i took mine off no problems after about a week.. there was no attempt at adhesion.. just came straight off and went back on the same way.. i didnt even have to change the thermal pads..

not much help to u if yours wont come off thow..

try blowing a hairdryer on the back plate.. better than the oven..

trog

calikev

Thanks for the advice!

well after 3 attempts... i finally got the stupid thing off... 2 of the pads might have to be replaced... but i just threw on the original HSF and all is well again! that kinda scared me for a while...

On another note... is it worth putting the Arctic cooling HSF on a X850XT?
cant wait to play some battlefield with all the eye candy on!

System Name money pit..
Processor Intel 9900K 4.8 at 1.152 core voltage minus 0.120 offset
Motherboard Asus rog Strix Z370-F Gaming
Cooling Dark Rock TF air cooler.. Stock vga air coolers with case side fans to help cooling..
Memory 32 gb corsair vengeance 3200
Video Card(s) Palit Gaming Pro OC 2080TI
Storage 150 nvme boot drive partition.. 1T Sandisk sata.. 1T Transend sata.. 1T 970 evo nvme m 2..
Display(s) 27" Asus PG279Q ROG Swift 165Hrz Nvidia G-Sync, IPS.. 2560x1440..
Case Gigabyte mid-tower.. cheap and nothing special..
Audio Device(s) onboard sounds with stereo amp..
Power Supply EVGA 850 watt..
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech K270
Software Win 10 pro..
Benchmark Scores Firestike 29500.. timepsy 14000..
yes.. make sure the memory chips touch the back plate thow.. those thickish pads are cos the chip height varies a bit and to make sure they all touch..

thow hsf cards have artic coolers on em anyways at least some of em do so it might not be.. never noticed that at first.. he he he

trog